Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lock discussion & Anti-theft

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 08:35 PM
soulstrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings fellow riders.

This might be a redundant topic in regarding to locks or anti-theft, but I am here new to the forums to educate others as well of myself in pursuit of the best possible type of lock for my beloved bike that is priceless in the blood pumping through my veins each time I ride it. I have lost my beloved black matt KHS & KHS road bike in between three months that has happened. The theft occurred at my neighborhood right outside my yard, and the other at the front place of my work where I lock it up at the front gates where cars come in and out.

Now, after educating myself with types of chains & locks, turns out master lock is no more being used within the family or friends, including the biggest, thickest, toughest chain purchased at home depot. Yes, all this is a learning experience. Being at a low budget job & college in mind, I've decided "why buy another bike, when I can make the damn thing myself ? ".

It's a run down Trek 7000. Yes, not pretty'n all but with the right parts I have bought and the right place to go to gear it up (no labor cost at all) this beloved bike is starting to grow on me now. I plan to have a friend powder paint it, which is a lot durable and doesn't chip off compared to new bikes of their standard paint job.

Oh yeah, parts replaced consist the following:

Aluminum chrome pedals, road bike shift handles, gel seat, hybrid tires, and free reflectors. It's not much, but it's a start. Turning this bike from a 25$ bike into something beautiful.

In any case, to save anyone from reading above, I am on a persistent quest in finding the best lock for a bike to desist and prevent theft. It's been on the high rise and gradually increasing here in the area of Skokie/Chicago. I plan on buying to locks: one to lock on a bike rack, and the other to lock both the wheels/frame.

https://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Beast-...owViewpoints=1

Is this a good type of lock? Your replies and opinions are greatly valued.
Old 07-19-12, 09:13 PM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not have a lot of spare cash when I went searching for a bike lock. I ended up at a local industrial rigging supply shop amd I purchased 2 feet of the strongest hardened chain they had. It took the guy some work with a diamond bladed chop saw to cut it. That made me feel good , considering most thieves wont be carrying that around. I use a hardened heavy duty padlock to secure the chain. So far this has worked well. I admit I keep my bike in sight at all times regardless. If I were to actually leave it unseen for any time I would currently use the chain, my kyrptonite chain lock, and my cable lock through the wheels and seat. But this is unlikely.
have
Old 07-19-12, 09:16 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The product you linked to is just a chain, not a lock. It looks like a plenty tough chain - sure ought to be, for that price!

I like U-Locks better generally - I think they're stronger. But if I can only find a big object to lock to, then I will often use a chain. Chains are so heavy, I pretty much only use a chain for places I park my bike at regularly, so I can just leave the chain there locked up.

A good lock is just part of the solution. There is also how you lock the bike up - finding a good solid object to lock it to, making sure that the wheels are locked to the frame, etc. And then there is where you lock the bike and for how long and how regularly. If you park in the same place regularly, then a thief might see the pattern and study it to come up with a plan. Really, it is better not to park an expensive bike in the same public place on a regular basis! Really there is no perfect solution. You do your best but really nothing is totally secure.
Old 07-19-12, 09:29 PM
soulstrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Kukula
The product you linked to is just a chain, not a lock. It looks like a plenty tough chain - sure ought to be, for that price!

I like U-Locks better generally - I think they're stronger. But if I can only find a big object to lock to, then I will often use a chain. Chains are so heavy, I pretty much only use a chain for places I park my bike at regularly, so I can just leave the chain there locked up.

A good lock is just part of the solution. There is also how you lock the bike up - finding a good solid object to lock it to, making sure that the wheels are locked to the frame, etc. And then there is where you lock the bike and for how long and how regularly. If you park in the same place regularly, then a thief might see the pattern and study it to come up with a plan. Really, it is better not to park an expensive bike in the same public place on a regular basis! Really there is no perfect solution. You do your best but really nothing is totally secure.
Well said. To stop a thief, it's best to think like a thief to avoid one. Sorry about the link, it was meant for a lock + chain.
About the U-locks are very controversial. Even today at the shop a couple went to buy another new bike just for the reason of the use of a U-lock failed to be secure. The reason being is that they're easy to lock with either a Bic pen or a design flaw. Currently, the "fegettaboutit" kyrpt/chain lock & evolution 4 was found on youtube to be easily unlockable.

Take alboy finland locks. Sadly, some bugger made a concept video key lock CD on unlocking these things. It's a lock well known used by police stations, military, or industry protection. This key was made from England and has meters as you turn and pull down... Yeah, no lock is ever safe but I want a two locks to date to prevent theft slowing down persistant thieves.

I want the best of the best.
Old 07-20-12, 05:07 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The bic pen exploit is old news. Years old. I don't know if any major u-lock manufacturer uses that cylindrical key setup anymore. There are also many threads on this topic in the Forums already, partly because of the bic pen drama.

Like OP said, all locks can be defeated. Using several different type of locks helps, as they require different tools to break. All those locks and chains also mean a lot of weight, and a lot of money. Not everyone wants to haul many kgs of locks with them, and not all bikes and all circumstances justify hugely expensive locks.

I don't think an absolute "best of the best" lock exists. You'll have to settle for a compromise that's best for you, your bike, your budget, your local theft situation. And always lock next to a bike with worse locks than yours.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 07-20-12, 06:05 AM
Canada Panda

Bikes: 1985 SuperCycle Commuter Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use one good lock and a few other lighter locks (or several good locks if you have room to carry them all and don't mind the weight). I use a Kingpin lock made by Norco in addition to a cheapy chain combo lock and a 6-foot braided cable lock that is looped all around my bike, locking all wheels and the rack to the frame. Thieves will not even bother with three locking mechanisms and move on to the next bike with just one $15 cable lock. Thieves gonna thief...just make sure it's not your bike.
Old 07-20-12, 09:13 PM
soulstrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is at this point. I put a lot of work into the bike as you can see so far 150$ worth of work, not to mention a lot of heads turned buffing a junky bike into something spiffy putting others to shame. All that's left is powder paint.

Anyways, onguard locks hasn't had any negative reviews or picked yet, so I have my eyes on it so far. Any opinions?
Old 07-20-12, 10:05 PM
soulstrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this is what I bought: https://www.cruisercustomizing.com/on.../part/ONG-5001

Hope I made the right decision.
Old 07-21-12, 07:03 AM
Trifusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why this is not more popular in Canada & US:
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...&product_id=49

added with this:
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.p...product_id=265

And I really don't think you can get a better locking system.

Price is pretty good but it took about 3 weeks to receive although that included 10 days held in customs.

With the Defender you always have a lock on the bike no matter where you are and the chain is insurance rated.

I guess it's no wonder it was developed in the bike capital of the world, maybe one day I'll get to go there.

Greg
Old 07-21-12, 08:04 AM
unionmade

Bikes: Litespeed M1, Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use this method with a mini U. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

I replaced the quick release on my front wheel, and on my seat post clamp. I carry a Kryptonite chain for when I can't find a small enough post.

I am extremely lucky in that at home the bike lives in the basement, and I have a bike room at the office. So, I'm really only locking up at the store, ball game, etc.

Last edited by unionmade; 07-21-12 at 08:04 AM. Reason: forgot link
Old 07-21-12, 08:36 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
IMO, be a little more careful in where and how you leave your bikes.

At work, I take my bike inside, and right next to my cube. When I am out, the only time my bike gets locked up is when I can EYEBALL it. In other words, I am looking right at it while I am eating or whatever. If I can't see it, it comes with me. I commute 5 days a week, and ride on the weekends. With my method, no bikes stolen.
Old 07-22-12, 08:37 PM
Titmawz

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace, Windsor The Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember that the Ulocks are primary security and cable locks are secondary (wheels, saddle, etc.). Have two Kryptonite Ulocks, a big one and a smaller one. The big one lives at the bike rack at school and its been there for three months already. I have stopped by there a couple of days ago and the lock was still there. The small one is for quick stops when I shop and such. The best security is not to leave the bikes outside for extended periods of time i.e. overnight. Watch this video so you can get an idea of good ways to lock up and how not to lock up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTA3JsZWiec Enjoy!