Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 01:27 AM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou
Not only that, but I thought the reason why all the organized rides require a helmet is because of "insurance reasons". At least that is what they say. I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't allowing people to ride without state required equipment void the policy and open up a lawsuit?
Depends. IIRC, In California, it is specifically mentioned lights are only required after dusk. Pretty sure, but could be wrong.

That said, if it is a night ride, or if the state doesn't specify that, you could have a point. Never thought about it.
Old 08-01-12, 06:43 AM
SweetLou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Depends. IIRC, In California, it is specifically mentioned lights are only required after dusk. Pretty sure, but could be wrong.

That said, if it is a night ride, or if the state doesn't specify that, you could have a point. Never thought about it.
Same here, but the route and start time mean they will be riding after dusk.
Old 08-01-12, 07:19 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
An even better question: How many cyclists die, world-wide, any given year, due to head injuries?

A: Damn few.
Regardless of helmet use, yes?
Old 08-01-12, 07:21 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by chasm54
No, they are saying exactly what he said they were saying. Read the first fourteen words of the passage quoted. Their opposition to MHLs follows their assessment that helmets may not be especially effective.
You mean the first fourteen words that begin with "We suggest..."?
Old 08-01-12, 07:22 AM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not only that, but I thought the reason why all the organized rides require a helmet is because of "insurance reasons". At least that is what they say. I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't allowing people to ride without state required equipment void the policy and open up a lawsuit?
That's what they say, but it's not true. Insurance policies require reasonable safety precautions, but the ride organizers are the people who translate that into mandatory helmets.
Old 08-01-12, 07:23 AM
mconlonx

I found that one of the local bike shops is having an evening ride. Their facebook page says, "HEADLIGHTS, TAILLIGHTS RECOMMENDED AND HELMET IS REQUIRED!"
Seems strange to me, since headlights and taillights are required by state law and helmets are not.
No kidding. I'm still waiting for proof positive that the "insurance requires it" helmet requirement excuse is legit. Or that there are citable lawsuits regarding helmet use where a shop or group was sued for not requiring helmets...
Old 08-01-12, 07:30 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by closetbiker
...in the meanwhile, I stumbled upon this story in which 79 year old Stephen R. Covey, author of the top-selling motivational book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," died on Monday at an Idaho hospital from injuries he suffered in a bicycle accident.

To display the whacked-out logic of Helmeteers, his publicist was quoted to say,

"He just lost control on his bike and crashed," Lund said. "He was wearing a helmet, which is good news."

To not be able to see a helmet hasn't helped, even when someone dies, is pretty whacked.
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Read it again big boy. The publicist assumed his helmet prevented "long-term damage", when it didn't. The "good news" was based on an assumption that was wrong. It wasn't "good news" at all.

My post (and link) was all about the whacked-out logic people have about helmets, which is all about the "good news" quote. I didn't misrepresent it.
No, you said the publicist was "whack" for stating that it was a good thing he was wearing a helmet even though he died. That's not the case. I've copied your original quote here so you can recollect what you wrote.

So hard to revise history on the interwebz...
Old 08-01-12, 07:32 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by Six jours
Nothing sadder than a troll who can't get people to talk to him.
...until you came along...
Old 08-01-12, 07:33 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by skye
That's what they say, but it's not true. Insurance policies require reasonable safety precautions, but the ride organizers are the people who translate that into mandatory helmets.
Are there instances where a ride organizer has been sued for not requiring helmets?
Old 08-01-12, 09:11 AM
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
No kidding. I'm still waiting for proof positive that the "insurance requires it" helmet requirement excuse is legit. Or that there are citable lawsuits regarding helmet use where a shop or group was sued for not requiring helmets...
if this is a get together ride I fail to see who would insure it or even the need to. to think that these days that anyone would expect a shop or group to provide coverage for an activity grown adults willingly decided to take part in, or expect an organizer to be responsible for anything that happens on the ride. as for organized events, don't the riders sign a waiver? IDK. not that they mean much. at least waivers remind us we live in a dangerous place.

I came upon a night group (rec) ride last summer, instead of zipping past, I mingled and worked my way up. by the time I was in front, three people had told me I needed to wear a helmet if I wanted to ride with them. riding 12mph, 20 person blob formation, on a dark US hwy., yep I need a helmet alright but insurance?
I blame people's love of enforcing rules as the reason group's are forced to wear helmets. that and "common sense" needs to be upheld and respected at all times if we're to remain a civilized nation. common sense is the un-written rule, which acts like a law when people are looking.

Last edited by Rx Rider; 08-01-12 at 09:17 AM. Reason: yes
Old 08-02-12, 06:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
six

What is sad that my post hits so close to home that the anti helmet cult is too embarrassed to talk about it. In fact the hairy chested anti helmet cult is very little different than gang members in big cities. They both feed off other members, and are seeking reinforcement with their flawed culture.
Old 08-02-12, 06:48 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You mean the first fourteen words that begin with "We suggest..."?
Yes, of course. No self-respecting researcher would use words that implied that what they had found was proven, like a mathematical theorem can be proven. "It appears"... "the data suggests"... "would lead to the probability that"... Is the routine vocabulary of research papers.
Old 08-02-12, 09:18 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
six

What is sad that my post hits so close to home that the anti helmet cult is too embarrassed to talk about it. In fact the hairy chested anti helmet cult is very little different than gang members in big cities. They both feed off other members, and are seeking reinforcement with their flawed culture.
'bent, you need to put down the pipe.
Old 08-02-12, 11:11 AM
supernovae

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
That's the basic problem: all the frenzied and disproportionate promotion and mandating of helmets distracts from other safety aspects which actually make a difference.
Not really. Helmet laws are pretty easy to enforce, thus an easy target to enforce. Safety requirements on the other hand are much more complex and often need to come from grass roots efforts vs laws, otherwise if its a law that turns into licensing/registration issues to verify compliance which would be more detrimental than helmet laws to begin with.

some states don't even require drives ed anymore.. any parent can signoff on their childs driving and get them a license. We don't teach motorists the rules of the road, i'm not sure making cyclists the brunt of education would change anything at all.. just as the anti-helmet people seem to cite cases where cars didn't give cyclists as much room while wearing a helmet as a reason to not wear a helmet.. so bass ackwards to me that we agree to dillute our safety equipment needs in lieu of teaching drivers to be more considerate of cyclists. Helmets in most cases don't do much to protect against cars on a deathwish for you, however they do a fine job for inevible accidents of cycling.. be it tree limbs and not estimating how tall you are to tumping over because you couldn't unclick or group riding and someone wiping out and crossing wheels in front of you.

oh well.. i just find it amazing we punish ourselves so much on the debate of helmet and safety training for cycling yet we avoid at all costs actually making those creating the hazards more aware of the risks of driving.. and yes, we have some dumb cyclists who need a little edumacation, i'm all for that.

Alcohol be it the auto driver or the biker accounts for 34% of cyclist deaths on the road with 1/5th of all cyclists killed in 2010 being drunk, 72% of the fatalities being urban and NOT at intersections. almost every safety course i've seen teach rules of the road and how to handle situations which stastically are low on causes of death to begin with.. but i am a suburbanite so i don't get to see what urban cycling advocy groups teach directly.

and yes, i'm completely biased and very much for safer conditions in general.. bike paths, overpasses/underpasses for major roads (especially on routes to schools and community parks / pools / playgrounds).. i would much rather fund those in lieu of funding helmet laws for the sake of passing a helmet law too but i don't see helmet laws being the reason cycling declined for a while to begin with.
Old 08-02-12, 01:39 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by supernovae
some states don't even require drives ed anymore.. any parent can signoff on their childs driving and get them a license. We don't teach motorists the rules of the road, i'm not sure making cyclists the brunt of education would change anything at all.. just as the anti-helmet people seem to cite cases where cars didn't give cyclists as much room while wearing a helmet as a reason to not wear a helmet.. so bass ackwards to me that we agree to dillute our safety equipment needs in lieu of teaching drivers to be more considerate of cyclists. Helmets in most cases don't do much to protect against cars on a deathwish for you, however they do a fine job for inevible accidents of cycling.. be it tree limbs and not estimating how tall you are to tumping over because you couldn't unclick or group riding and someone wiping out and crossing wheels in front of you.
Exactly. The blind leading the blind. It's frightening that my sister will be teaching my nephew how to drive. She is an uber aggressive, SUV driving, suburban soccer mom.

She calls me "grandpa" because I drive the speed limit.
Old 08-02-12, 02:25 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
No, you said the publicist was "whack" for stating that it was a good thing he was wearing a helmet even though he died. That's not the case. I've copied your original quote here so you can recollect what you wrote...
Thanks you for copying the original quote so we can see what I said which was, "To not be able to see a helmet hasn't helped, even when someone dies, is pretty whacked."

I didn't say, the publicist was "whack" for stating that it was a good thing he was wearing a helmet even though he died.

The publicist assummed what many helmeteers do, that a helmet has provoded protection in cases where it can't. That isn't good news, that's "whacked"
Old 08-02-12, 02:31 PM
closetbiker

This whacked out logic is presently on display in London, where a driver (arrested for suspicion of dangerous driving cusing death) of an Olympic bus ran over a cyclist, killing him, has high profile British cyclists endorsing and encouraging helmet use for impacts with motor vehicles.

Helmets are made for simple falls, not collisions with motor vehicles. That's just whack if you think that's what they're for.
Old 08-02-12, 04:33 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a short discussion on BBC radio today about the 'Wiggins effect' causing more people to cycle and how not to get killed on a bike. Only one commenter that I heard seemed to have his head screwed on, talking about prioritising motorist education, cyclist training etc. The others were all parroting the usual 'you wouldn't drive without wearing a seatbelt, make cyclists wear helmets, I fell off/my helmet broke and so I would have died without it' nonsense. And there was me thinking the irrationality was mostly confined to the other side of the pond...
Old 08-02-12, 04:46 PM
closetbiker

Irrationality is a human trait, so it's present everywhere however, in matters regarding cycling, it seems the irrationality is in greater abundance where cycling is less within the "norms" of society.

Bikebiz has coverage on the death showing the rational approach outweighing the irrational reactions

https://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/new...-debate/013440

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-02-12 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 04:48 PM
closetbiker

Irrationality is a human trait, so it's present everywhere however, in matters regarding cycling, it seems the irrationality is in greater abundance where cycling is less within the "norms" of society.

Bikebiz has coverage on the death that shows the rational outweighs the irrational

https://www.bikebiz.com/index.php/new...-debate/013440

... Wiggins said, “There are a lot of things that need to be addressed with cycling at the moment on the roads....It's dangerous and London is a busy city and a lot of traffic. I think we have to help ourselves sometimes..."

Ctc coordinator Chris Peck said: "Making helmets compulsory would stifle cycling without improving greatly improving safety. Bradley Wiggins celebrated his victory at Hampton Court - without a helmet..."

... Bicycle helmets are designed for low speed crashes from head height to the ground and offer next to no protection in smashes with motor vehicles....
... another news outlet chimes in with crap saying cycling is dangerous and helmets are what's going to protect a rider in collision with traffic

https://news.sky.com/story/967839/cyc...incident-named

... The tragedy has prompted calls for better road safety for cyclists on Britain's roads, led by cycling stars Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish.

Team GB's Cavendish told Sky News that cycling helmets were a necessity...

And Olympic gold medallist and Tour de France champion Bradley Wiggins told a news conference: "It's dangerous and London is a busy city and a lot of traffic..."

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-02-12 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 05:40 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrow
Yes, what these forums really need is more snark. Seriously, in my short time here all I see is a bunch of unhappy snarky people who have nothing better to do than be smartasses. Many of you have no intention of having an actual conversation.
That was an attempt at a low blow - failed.

You see, conversation stops when people refuse to listen to sober reasoning based on sound statistics, and stobbornly stick to anecdotal evidence and greul propaganda.

The facts are out there. They have been linked to again and again, to no effect. If you wish, I can take you through them. If not, you should realize that YOU are the one who's being smartass.
Old 08-02-12, 05:46 PM
hagen2456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many cyclists die, world-wide, any given year, due to helmet induced rotational brain injuries...?
Given that helmets probably are helpfull in some cases, and that they don't have any statistically significant beneficial effect, I think the logical answer is: equally as many as helmets save.
Old 08-02-12, 05:47 PM
hagen2456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I actually would like to know what makes the anti helmet zealots tick. I have one theory----they are the hairy chested types that want to project an image, but really know they should be wearing a helmet.
So they post all the anti helmet diatribes that become a sounding board for like types. That way they are seeking and find reinforcement of their flawed judgement.
Ever heard of "ad hominem"?

If not, look it up.
Old 08-02-12, 05:50 PM
hagen2456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rx Rider
I keep wondering about the rotational injury thing and it seems it would have a bigger affect the faster you were going when it occurred.
going 10 mph doesn't seem there would be enough force to worry about, where as 40-50 would worry me. but then at those speeds the limits of the helmet's protection have been exceeded.
Exactly.
Old 08-04-12, 12:27 AM
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tried a new way to biff tonight, I rode a wheelie right into the ground. kind of funny really, once I got off the ground with a skinned elbow/knee, bruised thigh and ribs that will be talking to me for a week or so . . .the imaginary helmet still without a scuff. I wonder if some folks like to fall on their head where as I really enjoy beating the rib cage. I did grow up with a trampoline and I credit that for keeping the head off the ground during a fall (at least the funny ones). now if I can just find styrofoam ribguards I'll live forever!

the best part was some teenage boy asked me if I was okay, so today's youth ain't as bad as reported by old farts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.