Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 10:03 PM
dynikus

Bikes: 2009 Felt F85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in case anyone's interested, here's my final update on glasses. I ended up returning the bottle rockets, because the jimarti glasses I ordered off amazon are phenomenal. https://www.amazon.com/JiMarti-JM44-T...ds=jimari+jm44
These fit me about the same or maybe a little better than the oakleys, cost have the price, came with 3 sets of lenses, and weigh less (only 16 grams!)
I've had no issue with them fogging up at all, and I barely notice they're there.
Old 08-09-12, 11:01 PM
Broid

Bikes: Parlee Altum R, 85 Eddy Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Love these...
https://www.smithoptics.com/products/...k+V2+Max/view/
Old 08-10-12, 12:29 PM
Namji

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear prescription eye glasses and I was wondering if it was possible to add prescription lens on some of these cycling glasses?
Anyone know or have done it?
Old 08-10-12, 12:47 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Namji
I wear prescription eye glasses and I was wondering if it was possible to add prescription lens on some of these cycling glasses?
This place say they can do wrap prescription lenses for many sunglasses. I know a guy that has some and loves them. They arent cheap though.
https://www.sportsoptical.com/direct_lens_tech.htm
Old 08-10-12, 01:25 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a couple of options.

Oakley does prescription lenses. Very expensive, and after having gone through no less than 4 pairs of lenses in two separate frames (Nanowire 2.0 and Nanowire 4.0) due to their cracking - and I babied them - I cannot recommend them.

Rudy Project has these clips you add. They work well and are cost effective. You can have multiple lenses without needing to get them all with prescription. If your prescription changes then all you need to replace is the clip - not all the lenses you bought. I'm pretty happy.
Old 08-10-12, 01:32 PM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No black frames

https://thecycleofstyle.blogspot.com/2011/02/put-your-stunna-shades-on.html
Old 08-10-12, 01:37 PM
LeeRoySD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got some Rx Rudy Project Rydons from Rob T. at SportRX.com. Trivex lenses with the new xtra-active transitions (that gets a little darker than the original). Service both before and after the sale was great. They do a lot of business and have a great customer satisfaction policy. There are many options and brands that they can make into prescription wraparounds. One note of caution... when you first put on a pair of Rx wraparounds, it will take some time for your eyes to adjust to them. Your distance and depth perception will be a little off. Your brain will learn to adjust and they will feel perfectly normal after awhile. I have had a pair of Maui Jim's that wrap around for a couple years now, but I freaked out when I got them thinking that were problems with the lenses... it's normal to have a small adjustment period. Good luck.
Old 08-10-12, 01:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Rudy Project has these clips you add. They work well and are cost effective. You can have multiple lenses without needing to get them all with prescription. If your prescription changes then all you need to replace is the clip - not all the lenses you bought. I'm pretty happy.
I got the Rudy Project Rydon glasses with the prescription insert. The insert is very low profile and does not interfere with my eyelashes. I went with the insert so I can change the sun glass lenses and they don't all have to be prescription.

Old 08-10-12, 01:43 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Old 08-10-12, 01:51 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2776 Post(s)
Liked 3,371 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by supafast213

Has anyone used the Spy Optics Screw? I'm interested
The Screws are alright... I prefer the Spy Alphas though; they are much more minimal as far as size/shape/styling go but they still provide a high quality lens with UV absorption, polarization ect...

I'm a Spy sponsored rider here in socal so i get Spys for free. The alphas are my fav.
Old 08-10-12, 01:59 PM
Jfitalia

Bikes: Tarmac Apex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are from native eyewear. They retail for 149 however chainlove has had them on sale for 39 recently. They are very light, breathable and come with 2 lenses.
Old 08-13-12, 01:58 PM
Namji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I just picked up a white rudy project exact same glasses as yours. I've ordered inserts and now need to wait for them to arrive to be filled with prescription lens!
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I got the Rudy Project Rydon glasses with the prescription insert. The insert is very low profile and does not interfere with my eyelashes. I went with the insert so I can change the sun glass lenses and they don't all have to be prescription.

Old 08-13-12, 03:14 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sternzeit
This site is great if you have a Military/Government issued CAC/id or LEO id. You have to have an account to see the prices. They are usually about half the retail price. I bought a pair of Polarized Half Jackets and they work great for cycling.

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/
Thanks for the link. I know a couple guys at work who have gotten theirs this way, but I keep forgetting to ask where to call. I figure that since I haven't paid out-of-pocket for glasses in a decade, I can afford some nice Rx shades.
Old 08-13-12, 08:50 PM
bjtesch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me point out a warning for people shopping for new glasses...

I have noticed that most cycling styles these days do not have a frame all around the lenses, the sharp edge at the bottom of the lens is uncovered. I was in a bad crash 2 years ago and the sharp exposed edge at the bottom of my lens cut deeply into my cheek underneath my eye. I think a style of glasses with the sharp edges of the lenses covered would not have injured my as badly.
Old 08-14-12, 07:56 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I've got a similar pair of RP. What I like best about them is that I can adjust the nose piece so that they ride higher on my nose. I ride in the drops a lot and with the RPs I always have a clear view, even riding in the drops.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-14-12, 09:16 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Oakley Jawbones, especially for the lens switching.

https://www.olympiccycles.co.za/Produ...unglasses.aspx
Old 08-14-12, 12:31 PM
dperreno

Bikes: '72 Fuji Finest, '80 Austro-Daimler Inter 10, '06 Fuji Team Issue, '06 Salsa Las Cruces, Nashbar Frame single speed

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rudy Project offers both the prescription inserts, and full prescription lenses for many of their styles. https://www.e-rudy.com/index_inner_all_rx.php#start
Old 09-11-12, 07:34 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Back to these --

Rob at bicyclerx.com recommended this style, Rudy Project Exception:
https://www.bicyclerx.com/product.php?code=RUDY-4

They flip up, so I would be able to see well without using transition lenses.

oldnslow2, what's your prescription? Mine is pretty heavy at -6.25/-6.0, which knocks a lot of sporty frames out of contention. Rob says that RP uses a slightly different insert for strong prescriptions, rounding the corner so it's not as thick at the edge.

I'm starting to want bike-specific glasses because it's gnat season and I nearly ran myself off the street a couple weeks back when one sneaked past my smaller-lens'd regular glasses and lodged itself in my left eye.
Old 09-11-12, 08:01 AM
lem0ndrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 2 cents

https://www.smithoptics.com/products/...llel+Max/view/
Old 09-11-12, 01:39 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 5,282 Times in 1,844 Posts
I am with the others on the jawbones. I think they are ugly but they fit my face very comfortably, vent well, and I can change the lens in no time flat to what I need. I have had Tifossi's for years also I wear as regular sunglasses but they don't fit my face well enough for biking. Top of the frame is always in my peripheral vision up top. Mine have over 8000 miles of use on them (probably more actually) and I have had no problems. Unfortunately I cannot say that about my Tifossi glasses. Ear cushions are torn on both sides of my current pair and the nose pads are turning "gooey" and falling apart. They are not even a year old.
Old 09-11-12, 01:51 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
I would vote on Rudy Project, simply because they are not as mainstream as Oakley. I've had my Rx Rudy Project shades since 2003 and have worked flawlessly everywhere I've used them. I haven't had to change a single screw on them.