Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar types and styles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 01:51 PM
Branimir
Merckx wannabe

Bikes: Rampon EL/OS 5700 groupset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers,

I'm a newb in this thing I admit, and look at your bicycles and notice all those different handlebars.
Is there a certain rule/trend/type of handlebars, I notice some are bigger, for what type of bicycles are which intended - touring, racing, climbs, training, etc etc...

This handlebar I have on my bicycle:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Size-I...item19d4255e8e
sorry i did not found any other source besides ebay...

If anyone can point me in the direction of 70s and 80s handlebars and what are the good/bad sides of some of them, which are considered top products at that time, ergonomically, etc etc...

Also I read some articles about handlebar width and it's mostly for new bicycles, how for starting point the handlebar width should be the same as the width of the shoulders and depending on the driver, some prefer narrower or wider due breathing and such. Do these "unwritten rules" apply for C&V road bikes too? How should the handlebar be mounted? With the lower part of the horn (drops?) parallel with the top tube or?

Thanks for your replies and patience!
Old 08-26-12, 05:15 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Here is an excellent article on handlebar geometry: https://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-drop-bar-geometry
Old 08-26-12, 05:21 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Rules are meant to be broken!
Get whatever suits you best!
Old 08-27-12, 04:07 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2971 Post(s)
Liked 3,077 Times in 1,564 Posts
The number of shapes and sizes can drive you crazy!!! Back when I tried to race I loved these really deep Merckxx bars but now today I find I like a much shallower Nitto (and cheaper) bar.

In general I agree with the shoulder width as a starting point for bar size but after that you use what makes you comfortable. I know guys who love Pista (track) bars on their road bikes, and others who would not use anything but a Cenilli Mod 64 even if they were given solid gold bars to use.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-27-12, 12:17 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Also to note: Besides width & shape, handlebar bar clamp diameter's can come in different sizes, esp from different munufacturers (26.0mm, 25.4mm, 26.4mm...etc). You need to match up the same size bar w/ the same size stem for the correct fit, no matter what shape bar you're looking to get. Handlebar & Stem Dimensions

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I know guys who would not use anything but a Cinelli Mod 64 even if they were given solid gold bars to use.
^^^.... Way too heavy that gold!
Old 08-27-12, 02:26 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 83 Posts
You need to go with whatever feels comfortable. That could take some experimenting, but if you're happy with what you have now, just stick with it.
Old 08-27-12, 03:31 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Branimir
How should the handlebar be mounted? With the lower part of the horn (drops?) parallel with the top tube or?
The drops should be as close to parallel with the ground as possible while still being comfortable to hang onto.
See the link posted by Metacortex for lots of good info and note how the bars are positioned in the diagrams.
Old 08-27-12, 04:09 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
many people aim the bar ends at the rear brake, but i like mine more parallel to the top tube than that. it gives my palms more leverage when in the drops.

i've fallen in love with the classic cinelli design, the 64-38 bars. the width is perfect, and i love the shallow drop. i've now found longer drops are irritating to ride, forcing me to spend too much time on the hoods and tops. the problem with cinelli though is the difficulty in easily determining clamp size. so, what other bars have a similar geometry to the cinelli 64-38? should i look for nitto classics? what else?
Old 08-27-12, 04:45 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I think a lot of folks on this forum are fans of the rando bar. Many here find them quite comfortable for long rides. I like them too.