Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

what would you do?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 01:33 PM
jbandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
what would you do?

Id like to get a new bike, either a trek 7.2 or a giant Escape. Trouble is I don't really have the funds for it right now. I'm currently riding a Raleigh comfort/hybrid for my daily commute. The bike is a little small and has 26x1.95 tires on it. could it be more cost effective to change over to a 700x32 tire set up with new rims and a taller seatpost, to kind of fine tune the bike to my needs. Or just save the cash and pull the trigger on a new bike? I know I could try to find a used bike to better suit my needs but if I'm going to buy a bike, I want the next one to be new.

If I did try to change out the rims and tires, what kind of coin would that cost? I wouldn't be looking for anything fancy, just something a narrower.
Old 08-28-12, 01:53 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know for sure but switching out from 26 to 700 rims could cause issues getting the brakes to work, depending on what type of brakes you have, and assuming that size rim/tire will even fit your fork and seat/chainstays anyway.
Old 08-28-12, 02:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Why not just switch to smaller 26" tires until you can afford the next bike? I'm rocking 26x1.5 and can easily hit 20+ mph on the flats.
Old 08-28-12, 02:03 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Why not just switch to smaller 26" tires until you can afford the next bike? I'm rocking 26x1.5 and can easily hit 20+ mph on the flats.
+1
Old 08-28-12, 02:06 PM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'7" and have a super comfortable bike with 26" wheels on it.

The difference between a 26" and 700 wheel is actually very small (diameter-wise). If your bike is "too small" it is unlikely that switching between those two wheel sizes would make a meaningful difference, all other things being equal.

Changing the seatpost and stem would be the way to go, if you need to make the bike "bigger". Or buy a new, bigger, frame. (Most people on BF.net could easily be talked into buying another bike, I'd wager. )

Edited to add: +1 to the post above warning about switching wheel sizes on your current bike. You'd probably end up quite frustrated and spending too much for too little of a result.
Old 08-28-12, 02:54 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

The difference in actual bead seat diameter between 26" (559mm diameter) and 700c (622mm diameter) is actually 10%, which could be significant. Could be. Enough to notice all else being equal? I don't know.
Old 08-28-12, 03:10 PM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
The difference in actual bead seat diameter between 26" (559mm diameter) and 700c (622mm diameter) is actually 10%, which could be significant. Could be. Enough to notice all else being equal? I don't know.

I guess that I shouldn't totally negate the difference but, realistically, it would be more cost-effective to get more seatpost than switch wheelsets (and probably brakes, if they could even be made to work) for that small of a difference.

Additionally, a good set of fat slicks on that 26 will close that gap to the (generally speaking) smaller tires that are run on a 700.
Old 08-28-12, 03:35 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is all great info. I'm not really sure if changing out the tires would work ,but wondered if it could be a cost effective alternative in the mean time. I'll have to check with the LBS to see what could be done. On the note of just getting narrower 26" tires, I was told that I could only go down to about 1.75 which I thought was insignificant. Maybe going down to 1.5 inch would be the way to go if possible. I'm really trying to figure out ways to pick up a little speed on avg. I know not getting full leg extension is probably hurting more than the wide tires. At 6'3" 275lbs 10-12 mph is leisurely, 12-15 is moderate and anything faster is really pushing it, or gravity aided. LOL! Ideally I'd like 12 to 14 mph to be more of a leisurely pace. Any more suggestions?
Old 08-28-12, 04:09 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
-What size frame do you have?
-How long have you been cycling in general?
Old 08-28-12, 04:32 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no1mad
-What size frame do you have?
-How long have you been cycling in general?
The frame size is 20.5 inches and I've been riding recreationaly for a few years. Usually on weekends for anywhere between 20 and 50 miles. However, I haven't been doing that much this summer. I'm commuting to work daily but its a mere 6 miles round trip.
Old 08-28-12, 05:33 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
First, changing wheel size won't effect fit. Fit is the relationship between saddle, crankset and handlebars. Different wheel size will only change standover height.

How tall are you? 20.5" frame should be good for 5' 10"ish to 6' 3"ish and can be pushed a bit further with the right seat post and stem (and pehaps riser bars). If you can get the bike to fit you comfortably, slap on some 26 x 1.25 slicks and work on building your engine. If it doesn't fit, get a different bike (even if that means used for now).
Old 08-28-12, 06:53 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a Giant Escape junky. I parked my car and mostly my motorcycle and ride my Escape every day.
Old 08-28-12, 08:39 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Igo
I am a Giant Escape junky. I parked my car and mostly my motorcycle and ride my Escape every day.
Old 08-28-12, 08:40 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Igo
:badass:
Old 08-29-12, 06:29 AM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jbandt
This is all great info. I'm not really sure if changing out the tires would work ,but wondered if it could be a cost effective alternative in the mean time. I'll have to check with the LBS to see what could be done. On the note of just getting narrower 26" tires, I was told that I could only go down to about 1.75 which I thought was insignificant. Maybe going down to 1.5 inch would be the way to go if possible. I'm really trying to figure out ways to pick up a little speed on avg. I know not getting full leg extension is probably hurting more than the wide tires. At 6'3" 275lbs 10-12 mph is leisurely, 12-15 is moderate and anything faster is really pushing it, or gravity aided. LOL! Ideally I'd like 12 to 14 mph to be more of a leisurely pace. Any more suggestions?
If the rims of your current rims are fairly wide, that could explain why the bike shop doesn't recommend going narrower than 1.75. Or it could be that they don't stock any tires narrower than that.

Getting a quality tire with a smooth tread will help some. Narrower is generally faster but not always. Some tires like Schwalbe's Big Apples have a pretty low rolling resistance even though they're a wide tire.

Anyway, getting a longer seat post so you can get adequate leg extension will help. Different tires may help some too but keep in mind that a comfort bike isn't really designed for speed. The upright riding posture and slack seat tube angle means you're less aerodynamic and potentially not able to generate as much power (there is much debate over optimum seat post angles).

That said, since right now you're only going about 3 miles each way, going faster isn't going to make that much difference in your travel time. I'd get the longer seat post at least because that will save your knees. After that, save your money and get a new bike off season.
Old 08-29-12, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
def go with the new bike. you commute in an urban environment? if not maybe you would REALLY like drop bars.
Old 08-29-12, 09:20 AM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CACycling
First, changing wheel size won't effect fit. Fit is the relationship between saddle, crankset and handlebars. Different wheel size will only change standover height.

How tall are you? 20.5" frame should be good for 5' 10"ish to 6' 3"ish and can be pushed a bit further with the right seat post and stem (and pehaps riser bars). If you can get the bike to fit you comfortably, slap on some 26 x 1.25 slicks and work on building your engine. If it doesn't fit, get a different bike (even if that means used for now).
I stand 6'3". The seat post is already about an inch beyond the safety line and its still a little low.

I think I just need to take it to the lbs and see what can be done and what its going to cost.

On a side note the reason I bring up the topic of going new or tweaking what I have is because ill be moving soon and the commute will go from 6miles RT to about 25 miles RT. I will definitely want to be on something sturdy yet reasonably quick when the time comes.
Old 08-29-12, 11:34 AM
PatrickGSR94

Any idea what width your rims are? Mine came with 26x2.1 knobbies, and 26x1.5 tires fit just fine. I could probably go down to 1.25 if I wanted to.
Old 08-29-12, 01:10 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jbandt
I stand 6'3". The seat post is already about an inch beyond the safety line and its still a little low.

I think I just need to take it to the lbs and see what can be done and what its going to cost.

On a side note the reason I bring up the topic of going new or tweaking what I have is because ill be moving soon and the commute will go from 6miles RT to about 25 miles RT. I will definitely want to be on something sturdy yet reasonably quick when the time comes.
Measure your set post length. I would think a 350mm post would give you plenty of length on a 20.5" frame unless you are all leg. My older son is 6' 4" and rides a 21" vintage MTB with no problems. Here is his DB Topanga:

As for the longer commute, I'd be looking to move to a cyclocross bike as it will be lighter and quicker but still sturdy. However, if you can do a couple of inexpensive tweeks on your current ride to get it to fit you right, it can be a great backup bike.
Attached Images
Old 08-29-12, 01:25 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Any idea what width your rims are? Mine came with 26x2.1 knobbies, and 26x1.5 tires fit just fine. I could probably go down to 1.25 if I wanted to.
Best I can tell without a ruler is that they are at least an inch wide.
Old 08-29-12, 02:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
6'3" on a 20.5" frame? You need to forget all about this tire nonsense, and get a larger bike before you damage your knees!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-29-12, 03:39 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
6'3" on a 20.5" frame? You need to forget all about this tire nonsense, and get a larger bike before you damage your knees!
Trust me, I would love to, but saving for a house right now limits the funds. That's why I was curious if I could tweak what I.already have. A taller seat post would be a must and narrower tires would be to increase the speed a little.
Old 08-29-12, 05:29 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No need to spend much if funds are tight. A long seatpost can be purchased quite inexpensively. Since you're looking at eventually replacing this bike I'd opt for a cheap basic seatpost - just be sure it's the right diameter for your frame.

And I'd be very surprised if there's any problem mounting narrower tires on your current rims. If your rims are about an inch wide then 1.25" tires or even 1" tires should work (but I'd stick with 1.25" to avoid pinch flats and having to pump them up before every ride).
Old 08-29-12, 05:39 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Question- you stated that you have a comfort/hybrid- does that have a suspension fork and is there any way to lock it out? You might see if your LBS could swap on a rigid one for you.

Another option, though I go back and forth on this route myself, is buy something for cheap off of BD. If you can live without brifters, a road bike can be had for $299. You could use this as a fast and fun commuter and your current one as a rain bike/back up beater (after you put a longer seat post on and address any other fit issues).
Old 08-30-12, 09:55 PM
jbandt

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
No need to spend much if funds are tight. A long seatpost can be purchased quite inexpensively. Since you're looking at eventually replacing this bike I'd opt for a cheap basic seatpost - just be sure it's the right diameter for your frame.

And I'd be very surprised if there's any problem mounting narrower tires on your current rims. If your rims are about an inch wide then 1.25" tires or even 1" tires should work (but I'd stick with 1.25" to avoid pinch flats and having to pump them up before every ride).
Really? I could go down to 1.25. That would be awesome! I just took a ruler to the wheel, exactly an inch wide. It looks like a seat post and narrower tires could cure what ails me. I know that seat posts are pretty cheap. How much would a set of tires set me back? I've never really purchased bike tires before?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.