Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

YOUR dream bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 09:25 PM
fatpunk

Bikes: '12 Giant Sedona, '15 Specialized Crave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YOUR dream bicycle

So i've been reading Robert Penn's "It's all about the bike". Great book! As i'm sure most of you know the book is about the history of the bicycle and his search to build his own custom bicycle all while he gets to visit each component manufacturer and experience how it's made.

So my question is if money wasn't a issue what components would you put on your dream bike? I'm asking it in the Clydesdale/Athena forum because we tend to know what will hold under us and what won't last 5 miles. I've asked this to a few friends and the general answer I get is, "Carbon this, ultra light that, etc etc".

I don't have a set of specs just yet because I haven't run across much that i said, "Ooo I want!" For me I just want a set of custom built wheels that will stay true, maybe Chris King hubs (i've read they are amazing), DT swiss spokes. A better saddle and seat post and maybe clipless pedals. I would imagine clipless pedals would look silly on my Giant Sedona so i'll get back to this with a frame and components.
Old 09-02-12, 10:02 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Litespeed Archon-Ti with Campagnolo Super Record 11 group set, or the Specialized S-Works Venge. I chose the Litespeed and Campagnolo because I figured titanium would hold very well under my weight and it would last forever, whereas carbon could crack and then my dream bike is ruined.

Last edited by Axiom; 09-02-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 12:27 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
S-Works Roubaix with Di2 and Zipp 404 Firecrest wheels.

Problem solved.
Old 09-03-12, 01:09 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, but, that's an inadequate brief.

In order to supply an answer, first I would need to know what I'm using this bike for. I've got about a half a dozen dream bikes that live in my head. There's the:

All weather Commuting/Touring/Training cycle
Club day/ Group ride/Event bike
Retro C&V Road Racer
Hardtail do it all mtb
FS trail mtb
and the track bike

Which would you like to know about?
Old 09-03-12, 08:18 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Club day/ group ride...
Old 09-03-12, 08:36 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think about my dream bike because I think that I will have one made for me, probably next year.

Currently I have a hybrid bike that I ride a lot and have a Madone that I ride a fair amount. The problem with the hybrid is that it is slow, slow, slow and not good for distances beyond maybe 40 miles. But it is comfortable on poor surfaces and has tough, flat resistant tires so it is good riding in bad conditions. The Madone is quick and light and faster but not good on poor surfaces. I find it very uncomfortable on chip seal, so I don't ride it on chipseal anymore. My current location has some really nice roads but with a fair amount of repairs done because of the Big Flood we had this year. The repairs are gravel. I dread the gravel sections.

So, I want a road bike designed for comfort on bad roads but still be light weight because I am slow as it is and I am light weight. It needs to take tires at least as wide as 32's. I want it to fit me, which is a big problem I have because I am just shy of 4'11" with short torso and short arms. The big issue right now for me is having one built with the right geometry but with wheels where I can find decent tires. For example, my Madone has 650c wheels and I can only put 23s or 25s on it and I can find only one 25 in the market. There is a 28 sold by Terry. I have no idea as to quality. Bigger? Not that I know about. So I probably have to go to a different wheel size. 700s are too big. 650b's? Twenty six? 700 on the back, 24 on the front? Where do I get a good quality and wide 24?

With all the issues with fit I haven't even thought much about components. That is the easy part. However, the idea of electronic shifters appeal to me.

I doubt that I would go with carbon. Ever since Beachgrad lost her frame to a minor accident carbon makes me nervous. I am clumsy. I drop things. Including my bike.

I used to be worried about being pretentious with a bike that "deserves" a better rider than I am. Sometimes I feel a bit of a poser as I am the last up a hill. But as long as I ride a lot I am not pretentious even if I am slow. And someone has to be last.
Old 09-03-12, 01:11 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I can tell you all about it if you wish. I've just cleaned and lubed it after a 55-mile blast around DC and it's hanging up downstairs.

I wanted a quick, all-road (note not all-terrain, but dirt roads are fine) road bike. Hand made, columbus, with long reach brakes to allow for up to 42 tires (currently runs 25s on road wheels, and 28 touring tires on backup wheels), a very solid BB and a planted feel, but with a long wheelbase and steering as quick as we could get it without making the bike a PITA after a few hours. Oh, and hand-cut and -filed stainless lugs for a wee bit of bling.

Ira added a hand made stem, and a custom Garmin mount. Paint job was my idea, and came out really well. It's a dark grey with a lot of blue fleck in it and silver accents. Note how the color looks very different in the sun.

Wheels are DT rr585s, 32 3x, laced to blue King R45s. They buzz like crazy, but are lovely and roll amazingly smoothly now that I've broken them in.

SRAM force, big-compact chainrings (52/36), 175 cranks. CK BB and headset, also blue. Fork crown is brushed stainless to match the stem and lugs. Lezyne bottle cages that look both retro and modern.

Bike Radar takes better pictures than I do. https://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/art...cles-33360/88/ See photo below for how it's set up for me to actually ride. I have a Charge Spoon on there, and modern bar tape.

I would tell you that life is short, and this ride is all I had hoped. My one regret is that I didn't get it sooner. Oh, and my patience was tested -- took a while before she was built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
128_4.jpg (103.1 KB, 40 views)
12-_6.jpg (101.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by adrien; 09-03-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 02:37 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting question. My problem is that my current bicycle is already 95% to "dream" status, at least based on components that are currently available.

So if you allow me, I'll take your "dream" as it is in the literal sense, and add components that don't actually exist in the real world:

1) Di2 electronic shifting for triple cranks and long cage derailleurs
2) 12 speed drivetrain with 12-30 cassette: 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-20-22-24-27-30
3) Triple crank 53-38-22
4) 36h powertap hub
Old 09-03-12, 02:51 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My dream bike was a 2011 Madone 5.2 (e.g. full carbon and ultegra)

I have a 2011 Madone 5.9 that I picked up off of ebay for less than the 5.2. It still had nubbies on the tires.

I am happy.
Old 09-03-12, 03:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Fell into it, a Bike Friday Pocket Llama,heavy rider option,..
IE Front main frame like their tandem..
Rohloff/Schmidt dynohub, disc brakes wired LED lights.. ..

Gets more Use than the other because It's like a step thru.

and the gear ratios are all near %=,
[closer together than my Brompton 3 speed + Mountain drive]

In the foul weather in my rain cape, I don't have to see , unlike the derailleur bikes
which way the chain has to go to shift to the next ratio.
Old 09-03-12, 04:27 PM
maidenfan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigfred
Sorry, but, that's an inadequate brief.

In order to supply an answer, first I would need to know what I'm using this bike for. I've got about a half a dozen dream bikes that live in my head. There's the:

All weather Commuting/Touring/Training cycle
Club day/ Group ride/Event bike
Retro C&V Road Racer
Hardtail do it all mtb
FS trail mtb
and the track bike

Which would you like to know about?
Have to agree here. My current "want" is a nice track bike, but spending lots of money on something you're a "noob" at is very "noobish", especially when crashes will happen. Nevertheless, here are a few I've been looking at:

Look 496

Tieymeyer Signature (This frame I can afford)
Attached Images
Look 496.jpg (21.4 KB, 20 views)
Tiemeyer.jpg (96.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-03-12, 10:37 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vesteroid
Club day/ group ride...
Before getting into the "dream build" I'll actually attempt to answer part of the OP's questioning with regard to what holds up, what doesn't and where to save weight or not.

It has been my experience that it is the "torque and weight" bearing components that are most susceptible to issues. Starting with contact points and working toward the road: Saddles & Posts(weight), Handle bars and stems(weight & limited torque), pedals(weight & torque), cranks(weight and torque), BB spindles(weight and torque), chains(torque), freewheel/freehubs(torque), spokes(weight & torque), rims(weight & torque).

The four heaviest components on a modern racing bike are generally: Wheels, frame, cranks/bb, brifters.

With the two above thoughts in mind, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to save weight by selecting top of the line brifters, derailuers, brakes. Sadly, wheels are usually equal to or even heafier than the frame. They are a great place to save weight, but, it most be done in the context of ones expectations. Same with regard to frames.

So, on with my "cost is no object" build. Although, if cost were a concern, I would be lovin' Adrien's build.

It would start with a call to Colnago and the request for a custom C59 Disc to be built with an elevated BB to accommodate custom 195mm srm cranks. Which would spin in a CK BB and be accompanied by CK Headset and hubs. The CK disc hubs would support some Zipp 404's or Enve's. I'm unsure of whether the rear hub would use the alloy or steel freehub. Because this bike is going to be with me for a while the shifting will be mechanical. Either Sram Red or Shimano DA. The braking, at least for now, would be Shimano CX cable actuated discs. Saddle will be decided by fit (I'm working on finding a new shape as we speak), post and stem and bars TBD.

If Colnago said "no" to the custom sizing, a call to Parlee would be the next recourse.

Dream over.

Last edited by bigfred; 09-03-12 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 11:20 PM
bigfred 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maidenfan
Have to agree here. My current "want" is a nice track bike, but spending lots of money on something you're a "noob" at is very "noobish", especially when crashes will happen. Nevertheless, here are a few I've been looking at:

Look 496

Tieymeyer Signature (This frame I can afford)
Track season is about to start here. There are 58cm Trek and Cervelo T1's for sale at two of the LBS's. Or, I order a 2013 61cm Specialized Langster Pro frame. Stopped at the shop with the Cervelo frame on my way home from work today. I would need a tall saddle to make it work and it would have a stack of spacers under a stem flipped positive. Looking at the longer top tube and front center of the Specialized, I think it may be the winner.
Old 09-04-12, 09:50 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,606 Posts
Nothing wrong with my current stable....but N+1 rules

My dream bike is a Kirk custom https://www.kirkframeworks.com/ set up with road disks and ultegra Di2.

My grail bike is a De Rosa, preferrable with the EL OS tubing with full Campy (modernish)

Old 09-04-12, 10:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fatpunk
I've asked this to a few friends and the general answer I get is, "Carbon this, ultra light that, etc etc".
There's a reason.
Old 09-04-12, 11:26 AM
ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I think it will be in my hands later this week! My new Waterford is almost ready.
Old 09-04-12, 11:26 AM
ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
There's a reason.
Yep. Marketing.
Old 09-04-12, 12:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yeah. Everybody's dream bike is 75 pounds of steel and concrete. People are afraid to dream big.
Old 09-04-12, 01:18 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Before getting into the "dream build" I'll actually attempt to answer part of the OP's questioning with regard to what holds up, what doesn't and where to save weight or not.

It has been my experience that it is the "torque and weight" bearing components that are most susceptible to issues. Starting with contact points and working toward the road: Saddles & Posts(weight), Handle bars and stems(weight & limited torque), pedals(weight & torque), cranks(weight and torque), BB spindles(weight and torque), chains(torque), freewheel/freehubs(torque), spokes(weight & torque), rims(weight & torque).

The four heaviest components on a modern racing bike are generally: Wheels, frame, cranks/bb, brifters.

With the two above thoughts in mind, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to save weight by selecting top of the line brifters, derailuers, brakes. Sadly, wheels are usually equal to or even heafier than the frame. They are a great place to save weight, but, it most be done in the context of ones expectations. Same with regard to frames.

So, on with my "cost is no object" build. Although, if cost were a concern, I would be lovin' Adrien's build.

It would start with a call to Colnago and the request for a custom C59 Disc to be built with an elevated BB to accommodate custom 195mm srm cranks. Which would spin in a CK BB and be accompanied by CK Headset and hubs. The CK disc hubs would support some Zipp 404's or Enve's. I'm unsure of whether the rear hub would use the alloy or steel freehub. Because this bike is going to be with me for a while the shifting will be mechanical. Either Sram Red or Shimano DA. The braking, at least for now, would be Shimano CX cable actuated discs. Saddle will be decided by fit (I'm working on finding a new shape as we speak), post and stem and bars TBD.

If Colnago said "no" to the custom sizing, a call to Parlee would be the next recourse.

Dream over.
Interesting -- our tastes are very similar. If I ever go for carbon, it will be a c59. No doubt about it. Now, if they could just make the discs electronic as well, it would be a real future-bike.

To your point on what stands up...Hubs, BB, rims and brakes should be no-compromise on durability for any clyde who seriously rides. I'm about 205 now (I was 242 when I ordered the bike) and have broken cranks, BBs and killed hubs.

The King stuff is of another order of magnitude in terms of how carefully it is built, and how pretty it is. And so far, zero issues. None.1,800 miles since April.

I chose Force because I didn't need the weight savings of red, Campy is not my thing (and builder get no discount, which is an odd way to do business) and I am tired of Ultegra. Like with the King stuff: zero issues.

BTW, all built and with a heavy saddle, bike comes in at 20.4 pounds. Race wheels and a lighter saddle and stem and it'd be closer to 19. Not bad considering all that steel (TT and ST are 59s).
Old 09-04-12, 01:36 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ILClyde
Yep. Marketing.
No no, carbon bikes have been proven to make your wallet a lot lighter.
Old 09-04-12, 01:49 PM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have my dream bike!!!

Just wish it had campy super record (and only for vanity reasons), and a rear wheel that would stay true for longer than a month.
Old 09-04-12, 02:12 PM
boy scout 161

Bikes: '10 Trek 1.1, '11 Specialized Tricross Sport, '12 Gravity G29 SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
Club day/ group ride...
I am not very imaginative. A Salsa Colossal Ti Complete.
Old 09-04-12, 02:14 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 84 Posts
it changes on a day to day basis, but right now I'd really like to track down one of these...

"There's a hard and fast rule on the road. Ride hard Ride fast. Why just hum down the road, when you can scream? The Prevail TG by Diamond Back. Tange Prestige OS steel. TIG welded. Larger Diameter, thinner guage tubing for the most responsive ride, the tightest cornering. And the most powerful sprints. Diamond Back, all you need to rule the road."

except 58cm c-c and maybe with a set of 32h hplusson sl42 black ano rims laced with some sapim cx rays to those 600 tri color hubs
Old 09-04-12, 02:15 PM
adrien

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
No no, carbon bikes have been proven to make your wallet a lot lighter.

You know it depends on your dream. If you want branded (read: lots spent on sponsoring) production frames (with all the R&D that goes with it), then there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if you want the features they ship with (things like brake clearance are almost impossible to change after the fact). The problem as I see it is that it is only the latest bike until another latest comes out.

I wanted unique, and the chance to collaborate in the build.

To each his own. It's your dream...
Old 09-04-12, 02:22 PM
grueling
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.