Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone try the Origami Cricket folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Anyone try the Origami Cricket folder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 10:44 PM
bbmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
3) Although the chain is low, I have not had a problem with it hitting the ground since the the tire keeps the chain high enough.
True, I probably should have mentioned that it's as low as on any other folding 20" bike with a rear derailleur and that the issue of chain clearance would come into play when going over some curbs.
Old 04-03-12, 04:26 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbmike
True, I probably should have mentioned that it's as low as on any other folding 20" bike with a rear derailleur and that the issue of chain clearance would come into play when going over some curbs.
I think this is more of an imagined problem than a real one, I spent four years with a 16" wheeled Mezzo that had a rear derailleur that looked impossibly close to the ground, but in reality it was never actually a problem; and as Snafu pointed out last sunday, you would probably have fallen over anyway, long before the derailleur struck the ground. Of course if you are going to jump sideways off curbs, or wallow in narrow ruts, that's a different thing.
Old 04-03-12, 05:39 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^ Ya,the lowest point of the undercarriage on the disralium side to kiss the landing strip is often the right-foot pedal. It touches down first in leans, unless one rides with it removed, or keeps it held aloft. (Doesn't really work going up hills.)

Hopping over deep kerbs at 90 degrees with the pedals held horizontal, amusing noises might be heard from the crank kissing the edge of the kerb, before the disrayliatah gets to it. Apart from that, most of my MTB derailléur mangling has happened when tree debris, sticks and so on is pickd up by the chain and tries to go through with it. It mostly fails, mangling up the mech. I keep a couple of Acera rears in the back of the car, now.

There is much to be said for getting bicycle parts from your local John Deere supplier.

Last edited by snafu21; 04-03-12 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 08:00 AM
foh247

Bikes: I just ordered an Origami Cricket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received my Cricket in the mail today. My particular package was damaged in transit and the rack was scratched a little, but I'm not really worried about it.
All in all, this little bike is pretty sweet, it unfolds and assembles quickly, I like the full suspension and disc brakes and it's available in flat black (personal fav)
I work backstage and I wanted something to put in the truck so I have transportation at the venue (we often fly or pile into a van, so once you are there, you are stuck with the group). I'm pretty sure this bike will meet my needs and then some for escaping my coworkers.
Some critics may point out that the suspension aren't rock shocks brand; but I'm not planning on taking this bike into the woods for a trail race.
I would have thought there would be a few more reflectors, there is one on the back and the pedals have reflectors.
All in all for the price, I am happy, I will recommend it to others if they are curious.
Old 04-04-12, 10:21 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by foh247
I just received my Cricket in the mail today. >SNIP <All in all for the price, I am happy, I will recommend it to others if they are curious.
Congrats on your new bike, hope you enjoy it.

And now our usual request.....We want Pics..
Old 04-04-12, 10:10 PM
foh247

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cricket

It's been raining and thundering in my neck of the woods today so I'll have to get back to you on photos. I rode my new cricket around for about an hour or so today both inside and outside of the warehouse before anyone got mad at me for goofing off. So far, I think this bike is great, if the weather was better I would have taken it out tonight for a trial run around the park.
It's a nimble ride, very responsive with the braking and shifting; everything I expected and then a few perks on top of that. The suspension on the bike is great, you can bump over pot holes or curbs with no problem.
It easily fits in my trunk and is a lot of fun to ride so far.
Old 04-04-12, 10:24 PM
SweetNightmare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad to hear the positive review of the Cricket; I was considering getting one until I saw not only were they out of stock, but the price went up. I may get a Crane, but I dunno how I feel about the lack of suspension and the lack of an adjustable handle bar post. ((Plus, I prefer the darker coloring of the Cricket.)) Back to the bike search drawing board, I suppose.
Old 04-04-12, 10:39 PM
foh247

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed the price went up today too....maybe there will be another sale...
Old 04-05-12, 08:32 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by foh247
I noticed the price went up today too....maybe there will be another sale...
OK! OK! Geez. I will lower the price again when our new production run is complete. I felt that we lowered it too much becasue we sold our two-month supply out in three weeks, so the price may be a little more than $299, but we will be close. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-05-12, 08:35 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by SweetNightmare
I'm glad to hear the positive review of the Cricket; I was considering getting one until I saw not only were they out of stock, but the price went up. I may get a Crane, but I dunno how I feel about the lack of suspension and the lack of an adjustable handle bar post. ((Plus, I prefer the darker coloring of the Cricket.)) Back to the bike search drawing board, I suppose.
Well, if you can wait about six weeks we will have the Cricket available again in balck or polished aluminum. In addition we are adding another model with a full suspension but with the rear shock moved back so that the seat stem will move down farther.
Old 04-06-12, 04:20 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
We are also working on a brilliant (ok, that is more of an opinion) folding bike trailer.
Please indulge yourself in working on a disc brakes and dynamo hub equipped (front wheel), IGH, belt drive (with chain guard), rack and fender friendly commuter/tourer design.
That would be a hot seller for sure.
Old 04-08-12, 08:20 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by DVC45
Please indulge yourself in working on a disc brakes and dynamo hub equipped (front wheel), IGH, belt drive (with chain guard), rack and fender friendly commuter/tourer design.
That would be a hot seller for sure.
While this sounds like s wonderful set of features, we need to find a way to do it while keeping costs down. I am not so sure that the dynamo hub is even relevant any longer since LED lights use small amounts of energy and the batteries last a long time. A few extra AAA batteries weigh a lot less than a dynamo. We do have a belt-drive coming out soon.
Old 04-08-12, 07:30 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
We do have a belt-drive coming out soon.
Good to know.

I am not so sure that the dynamo hub is even relevant any longer since LED lights use small amounts of energy and the batteries last a long time. A few extra AAA batteries weigh a lot less than a dynamo.
But the dynamo is always there and almost never runs out of juice.

' have to agree on the cost though.
Old 09-13-12, 08:48 AM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pinigis,
Will you have a full suspension origami with an IGH? Thanks.
Old 09-13-12, 01:13 PM
Pinigis 

Possibly. We are always looking at our options, buy it will not be this year.
Old 09-15-12, 06:14 PM
jdwamsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey guys, i'm looking at the cricket for my first folder. i'm 6'1", 220#'s and i measure an inside inseam of 31". pics look like i'd be cramped. what do ya'll think?
Old 09-17-12, 09:18 PM
Pinigis 

The Origami Mantis will accommodate a rider up to 6'4". You are at the top end of the range for the Cricket, but with an inseam of 31" you should be just fine.