Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a few questions

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 12:18 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've decided that I want to take the leap and race the 2013 season. After doing a bunch of reading and talking to folks who race I'm left with more questions than answers.

First question is on licensing. I will be 40 when I enter my first race, so if I understand the categories properly, that would put me in Master 3 category. https://www.ontariocycling.org/oca-me...-uci-licences/ What I can't find is info on categories... cat 5,4, etc. In the master category, do upgrade points exist as they do in senior category? Or is everyone assumed to be equal?

An acquaintance told me that Masters is tough... harder than senior cat 3. He seem to be trying to dissuade me from the idea of racing. I'd like to have at least some hope of being somewhat competitive and not get shelled by retired pros every time.

Last question is on hardware. I'm going to be entering six road races and numerous crits. For the road races, I think my equipment will do, but I had a couple people recommend going with cheap gear for the crits like a cannondale caad or a specialized allez. Is the risk of crashing and wrecking equipment really that great?
Old 09-26-12, 12:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 382 Posts
The category stuff, you'll need a Canadian to answer. However, if it is anything like the U.S., you'll be better off racing your beginning category, than a Masters race to start.

As for the chance of breaking your bike, the odds are reasonably good you'll crash at some point. Most people do somewhere along the way. The odds are relatively low you'll trash your frame however. Its just a matter of how risk adverse you are. Personally, I think the reason to have a nice racing bike is to race it, but if you can't stand the thought of trashing your bike, you need a cheaper bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-26-12, 01:34 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
...if you can't stand the thought of trashing your bike, you need a cheaper bike.

That logic always struck me as odd... you end up spending more overall than if you just race what you have.
Old 09-26-12, 01:41 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask away...

Master3 here, entering my 3rd year...Yes i somewhat suck

Yes you will get shelled, but you will come back and will get it eventually...The guys maybe older, but damn are they quick...

Don't worry about the Cats, they don't apply to you in Ontario...It's pretty straight forward, Master 3, 2 and then 1. You race Provincials in your age based category, that's TT and RR...

Your bike is fine, there's just as many crashes in the RR as the crits.

Are you with a club/team or going the independent route?
Old 09-26-12, 01:48 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 382 Posts
So in Ontario, a 40 year old guy can't do a Senior 4 race?

Here, you can do both masters races, as well as race your Category ( with the caveot that you can't be a a Cat 5 for some masters races.)
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-26-12, 01:59 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, one or the other...

And we have no Cat5...It's Elite4, 3, 2, 1...And for women it Elite 3, 2, 1...
Old 09-26-12, 02:16 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that explains why I couldn't find it on the OCA website. Is the progression still the same for moving up levels? The point is probably moot as I'll most likely stay for a while in 3.

I'll most likely ride unattached to begin with. I haven't found the club that really suits me or my schedule.

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-26-12, 04:19 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming it works like in the US, you will be a CAT-5. If there is a Cat-4/5 M35 or M40 you will have the option to do those races. If there is just a M40+ race that allows all categories, I highly suggest racing in the Cat-5 races.

Upgrade points are the same in the masters as in the normal cat-5.

Being over 40 doesn’t mean you can’t race in your senior category, and you have a much better chances of being competitive against 25-year-old Cat-5s than 40-year-old cat-1s.

Yes, there is a chance of crashing, but if you crash and have to replace a shifter or a derailleur, that will still probably be cheaper than buying a whole CAAD just for crits. If you crash hard enough to break a frame, the bike will probably be the least of your concerns.

Edit: ignore everything I said about categories, and listen to the Canadian guys.

Last edited by Debusama; 09-26-12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-26-12, 07:33 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gadabout007
Well that explains why I couldn't find it on the OCA website. Is the progression still the same for moving up levels? The point is probably moot as I'll most likely stay for a while in 3.

I'll most likely ride unattached to begin with. I haven't found the club that really suits me or my schedule.

Thanks for the info!
Moving up can be tough. Master3 fields are pretty large, starting at 80-100 and getting down to about 40-50 late in the season. To do well you need to be able to sit in, stay near the front and SPRINT! Hence the reason I have yet to achieve an upgrade point. Only the top 8 get upgrade points and you need 25 points for a voluntary upgrade...

The other option is to get on a team that is predominately Master2s and you can get upgraded, but the team manager must fill out the paper work. Personally I think you should get your feet wet in Master3 before any thoughts of upgrading. I see you're in Toronto, if you haven't as of yet, you should check out the Midweek crits on Tuesday nights. They are fantastic prep for O-Cup racing.
Old 09-26-12, 08:37 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Btw, I doubt that Masters 3's would be harder than senior/elite 3's.

Masters Open (1-4) is a different story I'm sure.

So your buddy was most likely talking about a Masters 1-3 race being harder than a straight 3's race - but it's the 1/2 part that makes it harder, not the old-guy part.

Best of luck!

my race videos
Old 09-27-12, 06:19 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey RB if I come up what category do I race? I believe I was told that I cannot double up in Elite 1 and Masters 1. I will probably carry a UCI license next year if certain things come to fruition. BTW where are Nats next year?
Old 09-27-12, 07:43 AM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if you plan on doing Nationals you need to decide if you want to do Elite or Masters, your UCI license will drive that.

If you hold an Elite license then of course you can't do Master Nationals and vice versa I assume.

Nationals for the next two year are in Quebec, St. Goerges de Beuce...Fun times!

Racing in Master1 here will give you a slightly shorter race then the Elite1/2, but not much slower. From what I hear from the Master1 guys on my team the big difference is when the Elite1/2's go...They go! I gather the Master1 pace is a bit more steady...

Of course being a lowly Master3 I have no idea what racing in either of those categories is like...
Old 09-27-12, 08:45 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gadabout007
I've decided that I want to take the leap and race the 2013 season. After doing a bunch of reading and talking to folks who race I'm left with more questions than answers.

First question is on licensing. I will be 40 when I enter my first race, so if I understand the categories properly, that would put me in Master 3 category. https://www.ontariocycling.org/oca-me...-uci-licences/ What I can't find is info on categories... cat 5,4, etc. In the master category, do upgrade points exist as they do in senior category? Or is everyone assumed to be equal?

An acquaintance told me that Masters is tough... harder than senior cat 3. He seem to be trying to dissuade me from the idea of racing. I'd like to have at least some hope of being somewhat competitive and not get shelled by retired pros every time.

Last question is on hardware. I'm going to be entering six road races and numerous crits. For the road races, I think my equipment will do, but I had a couple people recommend going with cheap gear for the crits like a cannondale caad or a specialized allez. Is the risk of crashing and wrecking equipment really that great?
cart>horse.
Old 09-27-12, 02:08 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506
Well if you plan on doing Nationals you need to decide if you want to do Elite or Masters, your UCI license will drive that.

If you hold an Elite license then of course you can't do Master Nationals and vice versa I assume.

Nationals for the next two year are in Quebec, St. Goerges de Beuce...Fun times!

Racing in Master1 here will give you a slightly shorter race then the Elite1/2, but not much slower. From what I hear from the Master1 guys on my team the big difference is when the Elite1/2's go...They go! I gather the Master1 pace is a bit more steady...

Of course being a lowly Master3 I have no idea what racing in either of those categories is like...
Beauce is awesome (I am sure they use some of the courses from Tour de Beauce).
It would be an Elite 1 license that I would be using.