Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved from Specialized to Selle SMP saddles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 11:31 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I use Specialized Romin EVO currently, and am perfectly happy with it. But was wondering if the Selle SMP could be even better. And if you have tried both, let me know what think, and what model of SMP you tried.

I know everyone's butt is different and trying it myself is the only way to tell. But still would like to know your thoughts.
Old 10-04-12, 11:39 AM
NWS Alpine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Evo fits me extremely well. The SMP saddles will have more options for shape size that share the same design concepts as the Evo. The SMP is more expensive because the materials are better. That being said the specialized saddles can be replaced a few times for the same price as the higher SMP models.

Use this guide to see if you can fit into a SMP model https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...ll-about-smps/
Old 10-04-12, 11:45 AM
Caymem

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've use a Toupe 143, Romin 155, and a SMP Pro. All three saddles eliminated numbness that I was getting when I first started cycling. The Toupe 143 started to hurt my sit bones between 15 and 20 miles in to a ride. The Romin 155 would start to become tiresome from about 30 miles on. I've not had any comfort problems from my SMP Pro. Also, my crotch seems to not be as tired/sore after long rides on the SMP Pro.
Old 10-04-12, 12:38 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i would love to have an smp saddle (dynamic, 209). nothing really to add, but sweet achilles i want one
Old 10-04-12, 02:42 PM
bermanfb28

Bikes: Tarmac/Sram Red/Zipps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Specialized Riva Road and just could never get comfortable also felt a little pressure in the soft tissue. Never had numbness but the pressure concerned me. I switched to the SMP Pro and love it. No pressure in the soft tissue. It does take a little tweaking though with angle because of the design but once you get it right it is great. Like you said though saddles are personal so it may or may not work for you but I think it is great.
Old 10-04-12, 04:08 PM
MPress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Toupe was an ass hatchet. Much happier with my SMP Lite 209. YMMV.
Old 10-04-12, 05:35 PM
bladehack

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C (61cm)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Switched from an Alias 155 to a SMP Pro about a year an half ago. The Alias would hurt after 10 miles or so but the SMP has been good up to my longest ride which is +60 miles. Also would get numbness with the Alias but never do with the SMP. I didn't see that Steve Hogg article until after I bought my SMP, but his classification as to what type of rider/body style likes which style of SMP saddle was right on with respect to me choosing the Pro.
Old 10-04-12, 05:41 PM
ticktockpedal

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i moved from a Specialized to an SMP. i went with the Forma SMP but found I do like the shape and cut of the saddle, takes pressure of the inner leg, but the Forma with no padding was just too hard. might try a different SMP model.