Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Joggers in bike lanes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Joggers in bike lanes

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 08:14 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tergal
Yea , here in Queensland we get
You should:
  • always use a bicycle lane where provided, unless it is impracticable to do so

who defines what is practical

avoid hanging things off the handlebars.

Is a good one too who writes these dam thing, "you can ride on the road or the bike path or the fence if you feel like it and it is practical ....."
Motorists' who don't ride a bike too, are really morons. Their credo is 'the road was made for cars, not bikes'. It is blasphemous, for them to pay attention to the part in both the driver's manual and the traffic code, that cyclists' have a right to be on the road. Now(at least in Maryland), the state is having signs posted that say 'Bicycle May Use Full Lane'.
Old 10-31-12, 08:05 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So just go back to your pointless trolling in bellyaching about John.
Don’t enable him by responding, and maybe he will go away. The ignore button is the best troll repellant I know of.

Originally Posted by FenderTL5
I tend to treat joggers in the bike lane the same way I would hope motorist would treat me in the street.
That’s what I was talking about. In the scenario that started this thread, the sidewalk was crowded with strollers, dog walkers, and old people out enjoying a walk along the seaside bluffs. The joggers really had no other choice, other than to go elsewhere, or hit the bike lanes.

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
What about Sec.21208?
That too.
Old 10-31-12, 08:14 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Motorists' who don't ride a bike too, are really morons.
What a statement!
Old 10-31-12, 09:11 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Don’t enable him by responding, and maybe he will go away. The ignore button is the best troll repellant I know of.
He is actually crossing threads to troll now and whining about being outed as a troll.
Old 10-31-12, 12:15 PM
PDP
Banned

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.0 Hybrid Bike '12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if you aren't carrying photo id? How are they supposed to even ticket you... it's not like you even require a license to ride a bike anyways. f the police
Old 10-31-12, 12:33 PM
PDP
Banned

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.0 Hybrid Bike '12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh... sry, this comment is to the hilarious video on the first page. i'm just kidding about the f the police comment also. i love my local police force ^^
Old 10-31-12, 12:41 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts

That’s what I was talking about. In the scenario that started this thread, the sidewalk was crowded with strollers, dog walkers, and old people out enjoying a walk along the seaside bluffs. The joggers really had no other choice, other than to go elsewhere, or hit the bike lanes.

That too.
Of course he had an option...not jogging illegally where he didn't belong. You don't get to jog illegally putting others in danger just because it's not convenient to do it how you want to. You can jog elsewhere...or earlier/later in the day. Or don't jog. The comparison to sharing the road with cars is inaccurate...we aren't jaywalking when we ride in streets. That analogy works for MUPs, not bike lanes.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-31-12 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 12:45 PM
orcanova

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Share the road and be nice. Joggers don't hurt anyone...
Old 10-31-12, 12:48 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Horse crap...joggers belong on sidewalks or MUPs...bikes belong in lanes, MUPs or AFTRAP. Joggers already have a lane...it's called a sidewalk. They potentially force me into traffic unpredictably and they don't belong there...they also typically jog against traffic.
Old 10-31-12, 02:19 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
they also typically jog against traffic.
If pedestrians are in the street, they are supposed to be moving against traffic.
Old 10-31-12, 02:24 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Pedestrians have no business in the street where there is a sidewalk. Obviously common sense dictates that in an area without a sidewalk, the pedestrian would use a street, watching for traffic. No one would object to a pedestrian in a bike lane where no sidewalk is available.
Old 10-31-12, 02:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some of you are as bad as JAMs. Worse, in fact, because you should know better.
Old 10-31-12, 02:58 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Yes - how horrible, expecting joggers to follow rules and conventions so as not to endanger and/or inconvenience me. Your justification of illegal, inappropriate behavior is worse than the justifications of sidewalk riders that I see here.

FYI - after a confrontation with an especially obnoxious jogger, I checked running forums to look at how they view the issue...it was more or less unanimous...it's inappropriate.
Old 10-31-12, 03:23 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Yes - how horrible, expecting joggers to follow rules and conventions so as not to endanger and/or inconvenience me. Your justification of illegal, inappropriate behavior is worse than the justifications of sidewalk riders that I see here.

FYI - after a confrontation with an especially obnoxious jogger, I checked running forums to look at how they view the issue...it was more or less unanimous...it's inappropriate.
Based on your reading of the running forums, would it be fair to say that experienced runners view jogging in the street as experienced cyclists view riding on sidewalks?
Old 10-31-12, 04:24 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Based on your reading of the running forums, would it be fair to say that experienced runners view jogging in the street as experienced cyclists view riding on sidewalks?
I would agree with that reading from the relatively limited reading I did.
Old 10-31-12, 04:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
Back when I ran a lot, I always preferred to run in the street. I also was pretty good at jumping onto the sidewalk as required. Getting up on the sidewalk and even stopping for a second is nowhere near as inconvenient as it is to stop on a bike.
Old 10-31-12, 04:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Back when I ran a lot, I always preferred to run in the street. I also was pretty good at jumping onto the sidewalk as required.
+1
Old 10-31-12, 04:42 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Back when I ran a lot, I always preferred to run in the street. I also was pretty good at jumping onto the sidewalk as required. Getting up on the sidewalk and even stopping for a second is nowhere near as inconvenient as it is to stop on a bike.
I don't think anyone would take issue with that.
Old 10-31-12, 05:20 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That too.
You originally said, "In CA (and I believe most states), the law does not restrict cyclists to bike lanes only. If anyone here were to get ticketed for it, it would be a good opportunity to go to court armed with the relevant sections of the Vehicle Code (in CA it is Sec.21202), and embarrass one belligerent cop."

I asked about 21208, because it does restrict cyclists to bike lanes.

If you bring that to court, you're going to make the case for the belligerent cop, unless one of the exceptions happened to apply in that case, and you're prepared with evidence to prove it.

Now, if the reason you're leaving the bike lane is because there are joggers in it, that's fine, because of "(3) When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions.. "

But I really doubt you'd get a ticket in such a case, unless you swerved out without yielding or something. But your statement above did not seem to be limited to a case where an exception applies. Your statement was that CA does not restrict to cyclists to bike lanes, period. Or were you just saying that the while the law does restrict cyclists to bike lanes on roads with bike lanes, that doesn't mean we're allowed only on roads with bike lanes? That would be terrible!

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 10-31-12 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 05:36 PM
caloso

21208. (a) Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride within the bicycle lane, except that the person may move out of the lane under any of the following situations: (1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle, vehicle, or pedestrian within the lane or about to enter the lane if the overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the lane. (2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. (3) When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions. (4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized. (b) No person operating a bicycle shall leave a bicycle lane until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 22100) in the event that any vehicle may be affected by the movement.
Wouldn't you agree that the presence of a runner is sufficient to invoke the exception in (1) or (3) or both?
Old 11-02-12, 06:10 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Wouldn't you agree that the presence of a runner is sufficient to invoke the exception in (1) or (3) or both?
I had a nice 'discussion' with a driver who didn't like my using the 'car' lane the other day. Apparently, he though I was just supposed to ride through all the trick-or-treaters who spilled over from the sidewalk into the bike lane. Luckily, a pleasant police officer understood.
Old 11-04-12, 08:56 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Exactly my point. If there is a bike lane I am usually in it. If some one is going to be out in traffic when there is a perfectly good bike lane because they just want to "stick it to the man", well that's their choice. I don't think it is a good choice. I do get out into traffic from the bike lane quite often, for the reasons stated in 21208, and always after "checking my six", and signaling if necessary. If it is joggers in the bike lane (often it is), I don't get all hot about it.
Old 11-04-12, 10:02 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ninja joggers are a fact of life. Their dopey unlit/wrong-way "training" sessions are the equivalent of our bicycle cultures
Carbon Fiber/spandex powerranger/NASCAR Lance-a-bees asserting themselves uber alles.
Passive resignation is easier than anger at something that will never change
Old 11-04-12, 11:45 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I've never once had a problem with a spandex dentist, in fact I've found that most of them are very considerate. The joggers in the lane are, thus far, a small but annoying minority...and a recent one since lanes are recent. The time to keep it a small minority is now.
Old 11-04-12, 03:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
Ninja joggers are a fact of life. Their dopey unlit/wrong-way "training" sessions are the equivalent of our bicycle cultures
Carbon Fiber/spandex powerranger/NASCAR Lance-a-bees asserting themselves uber alles.
Passive resignation is easier than anger at something that will never change
Poor baby, all cyclist do not dress the way you think they should and ride the right bikes you want them to ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.