Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to find the correct saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 07:56 AM
josruu

Bikes: 2012 Bianchi Impulso 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have now tried 4 different saddles but not getting one that fits me good.
Ive been at a store and tried the bontrager saddle finder and from there I got to borrow 2 Fizik seats. None of them where any good at all so I returned them.
I bought a new bike and it was a San Marco Ponza saddle on it. Felt ok the first few km but after about 20km my "toolbox" started to fall asleep and my ass became sore after a few more km`s.
I even borrowed a Specialized Romin saddle at my LBS to try. Correct width, 130mm, but after riding for about 40 mins my ass gets so sore I almost cant si any longer. But with the Romin saddle the numbness has gone so thats one step ahead...

I use a rather cheap Northwave BIB, could it be so simple that I have to buy a really good bib to sit comfy? And have to buy the Specialized saddle, witch costs about 250 bucks in Norway...

What have you guys done to find the best saddle?
Old 11-02-12, 08:23 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Romin will feel very firm at first and then it gets better. It came on my new Tarmac and at first I thought "holy crap!" After 250+ miles I don't even think about it any more. If it cures the numbness then I'd say you are a big step ahead.
What I think about seats(saddles....whatever), is you just get used to what's there................ if you leave it there.
Old 11-02-12, 08:41 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Often, the problem is the shape of the saddle. I tried four different models in an attempt to replace my original design Fizik Gobi (no longer made) and never did find a suitable replacement. The original Gobi design is quite round from side to side, while the majority of current saddles are much flatter at the center, with smaller radius corners. Those corners hit me in the wrong place.

I used each of the saddles for serveral weeks, not just a few rides.
Old 11-02-12, 09:10 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm one of those lucky people that can just sit on anything and be ok with it. Never had a problem with any seat I've had on any bike but all have been Specialized seats....hmmm. Well i take it back, the seat on my old Cannondale was never comfortable, well neither was the bike so I took that as being the fit of the bike(RD400 Criterium bike....yeah)
Old 11-02-12, 09:28 AM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I think since the Romin seat doesnt make me numb maybe I should buy one. And, as you say, get used to it. I havent had more than 150-200km on the romin, but after about 1 hour on it I get really soar. But it could be that my pants doesnt have enough padding maybe? I tried with a gel seat cover once and then I didnt get soar at all, instead slipping from side to side...

And since Im getting numb by the san marco seat I dont think Im going to try to get used to it. Seems like it presses on the wrong places.
But I have seen the ROmin saddles on ebay and other sites for a lot less than it costs here in norway, but how do I know wich one to buy, since theres a couple of types?
The only thing the test seat says is: Specialized Romin 130 test.

And do you have any recomendations on good cycle pants?I prefer BIB. Heard alot of nice things bout asos mille, but again, here in Norway ist expensive....
Old 11-02-12, 09:30 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Don't underestimate the effect of fore/aft position and "tilt". Small changes in either of these factors can make a big difference in comfort. If you're sensing discomfort in as little as a few kilometers I'd suggest the actually position of the saddle is way off. You probably should be able to sit on a brick for that distance.
Old 11-02-12, 09:43 AM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by josruu
Yeah I think since the Romin seat doesnt make me numb maybe I should buy one. And, as you say, get used to it. I havent had more than 150-200km on the romin, but after about 1 hour on it I get really soar. But it could be that my pants doesnt have enough padding maybe? I tried with a gel seat cover once and then I didnt get soar at all, instead slipping from side to side...

And since Im getting numb by the san marco seat I dont think Im going to try to get used to it. Seems like it presses on the wrong places.
But I have seen the ROmin saddles on ebay and other sites for a lot less than it costs here in norway, but how do I know wich one to buy, since theres a couple of types?
The only thing the test seat says is: Specialized Romin 130 test.

And do you have any recomendations on good cycle pants?I prefer BIB. Heard alot of nice things bout asos mille, but again, here in Norway ist expensive....
You shouldn't need a bib to make a saddle comfortable, they just make it more comfortable.
I ride specialized toupes on all my bikes, and they're comfortable regardless of what I am wearing.

Here's some info on specialized saddles: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...isport-saddles

If you aren't worried about weight, you can get the Romin Gel Comp for less than a hundred bucks easily.

Last edited by Nagrom_; 11-02-12 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:48 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though I don't have a Trek I have done well with the Bontrager brand of shorts. Sure they make bibs also. Bontrager stuff is just made well and holds up real well.
Specialized seems to do things strange. What comes on their bikes a lot of times bears no resemblance to what they sell as aftermarket. I looked at their saddles and nothing looks like what came on my bike. Per Specialized site it states my bike came with Romin Comp. It is slightly rounded.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 11-02-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 10:00 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I've always ridden on a Brooks leather saddle. The more you ride one, the better it gets. They are not for everyone, but I stick with them since I know they suit me. The B17 is a good general purpose saddle. Not super narrow, but not extremely wide either. I have B17's on my utility bike and tandem. I have the narrower Team Pro and Colt saddles on my road bikes.

Some bike shops have a special bench with liquid gel inside that will show an impression of your sit bones (some refer to it as the assometer"). That can at least give you some guidance on saddle width. The only way to really tell is to try them. As previously stated by others, it may just be an issue of adjustment and not the saddle itself.
Old 11-02-12, 10:20 AM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the "assometer" at my LBS and then he found med the Romin seat and told me this should be good. Maybe Ill stop by him tomorrow and ask if he has another seat I can try.
The seat is in water and not pointing up or down. I have tried it pointing a little upwards but didnt make any difference to me.
And the weight of the saddle doesnt mean anything. Yet
Old 11-02-12, 10:42 AM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing is for sure, if you mention oil on a motorized vehicle DB, an Amzoil rep will chide in, same with a seat discussion and Brooks
Old 11-02-12, 01:24 PM
FasterNearGirls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Specialized Toupe Expert to replace the Fizik Antares that came with my new bike. I only got to demo it for a long ride last weekend and wasn't sure how I felt about it because I was sore in new spots due to the new pressure points but was relieved in other areas. I wouldn't have more time to demo others and so went ahead and purchased the Toupe. Still not sure if I did well. 143mm. At the least the center cutout should relieve the numbness, which I was also getting, and that is indeed one step forward. Now as for the developing saddle sore I am getting, I should probably do a search on solutions.
Old 11-02-12, 01:33 PM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The center cutout probably removed my numbness, but as like you, Im getting sore in the area near my seat bones. Feels like I should have a softer seat or thicker padding.
Old 11-02-12, 01:40 PM
FasterNearGirls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm thinking that will go away very quickly. The new pressure points are sore now but they should numb out (in a good way) soon and we should get used to it. Kind of like when you don't ride for a long time and go out for the first times and feel very sore, especially on that 2nd and 3rd ride when you first sit down on the saddle. At least it feels like it's hitting your sit bones.

A related problem was adjusting my new saddle to be exactly where my antares was. The toupe is shallower, thus I had to raise the seat post to get the same height. But also, the saddle is not as long so I wasn't sure where to place its tip and dial the set-back. Still experimenting. May do a fit follow up soon. Hey, at least its the right time of the year to experiment!
Old 11-02-12, 01:51 PM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 150-200km on the Romin saddle but it does not get better, rather worse...
Old 11-02-12, 01:58 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your seat is probably too high. if your business is going numb then you current set up is probably jammed up there. excuse the technical speak, but yes, first try and lower your seat, or use your inseam to do a quick seat height equation and adjust accordingly. if you use the lemond method, then the top of your seat to the center of the bottom bracket should equal 88.3% of your inseam. so for me with a 34 inch inseam, 34 x .883 = 30.022 inches. tah dah. happy nuts!
Old 11-02-12, 02:17 PM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I measured that way. My inseam is 90cmx.883=79,47cm. So I set the seat at this height, numbness is gone with the Romin seat but not with the san marco that came with the bike.
With the romin now, I only get soar. But I do get a little pain in my lower back, dont know if it comes from my old bike (wich was waaaay to big) or if its my body needing to adjust to the new one.

I tried to lower my seat about 1,5cm now but I havent tried it since I had a workout earlier today. If you take a look at the thread called "Bianchi Nirone 7 or Bianchi Impulso" I have a few pics there, with the seat before I lowered it. Its also with the seat that came with the bike.
Old 11-02-12, 03:07 PM
bladehack

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C (61cm)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OK, time to quit messing around. Here's the link to your bible on saddle comfort:

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...ll-about-smps/

Read this entire report on their various saddle offerings and compare it to your body style / fit. You won't even need high quality bibs when you get the correct SMP for your physiology.

Good luck in your search
Old 11-02-12, 04:42 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the romin is an excellent seat. 250 bucks in norway though? you need to make some friends in america or maybe you can call a specialized shop here and purchase it over the phone and airmail to norway.
Old 11-03-12, 01:38 AM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the guide, will read it now
I have searched ebay and there is no Romin 130mm at this time. And buying in the Us isnt any problem, the problem comes when the item arrives in Norway, its 25% tax on it and a customs fee of about 15 USD on top of that.

But if you know of a shop with a internett page that ships to norway, please let me know I have used the chainreactioncycles page and they are fast and have good prices, but htey dont have specialized seats. I dont need a specialized seat but thats the brand its easiest for me to test home.
Old 11-03-12, 06:42 AM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stopped by the bike shop now and told the guy there what Ive experienced with the seat so he lent me another Romin,only in 143mm widt this time and ment that should be alot better.
And the price for the cheapest Romin is 700NOK,about 140-150 USD. 250 is for the most expensive one with carbon rails. But maybe its still expensive compared to prices in the us?
Old 11-03-12, 08:17 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
I have now tried 4 different saddles but not getting one that fits me good.

I use a rather cheap Northwave BIB, could it be so simple that I have to buy a really good bib to sit comfy? And have to buy the Specialized saddle, witch costs about 250 bucks in Norway...

What have you guys done to find the best saddle?
You're in Norway and there a some Selle Italia dealers there, according to their web site. Selle Italia has a new system they call "IDMatch". That is supposed to measure you with more accuracy than what's out there now. I had an opportunity to try that at the Interbike show here in the States. Give it a try.
Old 11-03-12, 08:28 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stopped by the bike shop now and told the guy there what Ive experienced with the seat so he lent me another Romin,only in 143mm widt this time and ment that should be alot better.
And the price for the cheapest Romin is 700NOK,about 140-150 USD. 250 is for the most expensive one with carbon rails. But maybe its still expensive compared to prices in the us?
look for the romin evo gel, it has the steel rails and costs $90 USD. Thats a great seat. The nose turns down more then the other romins so you don't snag your shorts all the time. i have that one is a 143 also and it works great. portland has a specialized shop, i will ask them if they ship overseas https://westendbikespdx.com/products/road/
Old 11-03-12, 09:38 AM
josruu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shop I've been to today also has Selle Italia, but he didn't mention the idmatch. They haven't been open for more than a few months and they are going to make a own room for bike/seat fitting/testing.

I looked at the romin gel and it looked great and the guy at the shop also recommended it, even it was the cheapest of the romin seats hanging there. I'll try out the width I got now and if it feels good ill try the gel version.
its too bad you can't borrow the actual seat for testing, only the shape and width on the test seats. I'll bet there's a big difference in comfort on the test seat and fex the romin gel seat?

I can send them an mail and ask them myself about shipping, no need for you to use you're time on that thx for the link

Last edited by josruu; 11-03-12 at 09:40 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-03-12, 09:54 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ok. good luck. here is one on ebay too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-...item35c11c9d67

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.