Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Storing bikes; tires inflated, partially inflated or flat

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 11:35 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a dozen or so bikes and some don't get ridden for months; I also have extra wheelsets. Is it best to keep air in the tires (a little or a lot), leave them flat or does it not matter?
Old 11-02-12, 11:39 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
If you leave the tyres flat (or let them go flat), they can become damaged from folds in the carcass.
Old 11-02-12, 11:50 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is best to keep bikes hanging from the wall or ceiling when storing them to avoid damaging the tires
Old 11-03-12, 12:48 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Pump to max pressure and check and re-pump occasionaly. That should save your tyres from deforming.
Old 11-03-12, 05:16 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If you have to store them on the floor then of course you need to air them more often to maintain shape. If hanging I would only attend to them if they really get flat, which is unlikely.
Old 11-03-12, 06:16 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
onespeedbiker, If the bikes and wheels with tires are hanging there's no worry about the tire pressure. If the tires are in contact with a tile or concrete floor there needs to be a barrier between the rubber and the floor. A sheet of inexpensive paneling works well and the tires need enough air pressure to prevent a sharp fold. If on carpet only the air pressure needs attending to.

Brad
Old 11-03-12, 07:50 AM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
... If the tires are in contact with a tile or concrete floor there needs to be a barrier between the rubber and the floor....
??? huh?
Old 11-03-12, 08:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
onespeedbiker, If the tires are in contact with a tile or concrete floor there needs to be a barrier between the rubber and the floor.
I agree with Looigi. I don't understand the problem you are solving. I agree if the bike is resting on it's tires, they should be maintained at at least moderate or even full pressure to avoid folding and damaging the sidewalls.
Old 11-03-12, 08:50 AM
FMB42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our house has a concrete slab foundation. In our particular case, I place a barrier between the tires of my stored motorcycle/bicycles and the concrete floor in order to avoid efflorescence. Tile floors can, in some cases, also have problems with efflorescence.
Old 11-03-12, 12:02 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Back in the 90s we used to be really concerned about this. Once of the bikes I used to baby back then sat for about ten years. Both tires deflated over that time. After ten years I took the bike out, pumped up the tires, and rode the hell out of it.

My conclusion - it does not matter.
Old 11-03-12, 03:14 PM
Waxbytes

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The only advice I have is to keep the tires away from electric motors that run often such as freezers and furnace blowers.
The ozone generated by the motors will destroy (oxidize) the rubber over a period of time. Sometime a surprisingly short time.
Old 11-03-12, 03:23 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
Once of the bikes I used to baby back then sat for about ten years. Both tires deflated over that time. After ten years I took the bike out, pumped up the tires, and rode the hell out of it.

That's the way it's been for everyone I've known too...
Old 11-03-12, 04:02 PM
Doug5150

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To maximize tire life, keep them in the dark and away from ozone.

You can keep sunlight off of them by putting trash bags over them. The main source of ozone in homes is electrical motors. (If you have an electrostatic or ionizing air filter, get rid of it and get a HEPA--the others are all junk anyway)

If you want to go crazy, take the tires & tubes off and store them in a freezer. In general terms, lower temperatures = better for storing rubber.

Rubber does age, even under ideal storage conditions. And there is no known type of rubber that gets better with age.
The typical shelf life for latex and buna-S rubber parts I have seen in several industrial sources is five years under typical conditions and seven years at best.
Old 11-03-12, 04:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
Back in the 90s we used to be really concerned about this. Once of the bikes I used to baby back then sat for about ten years. Both tires deflated over that time. After ten years I took the bike out, pumped up the tires, and rode the hell out of it.

Perhaps it depends on the tires, but I have in my posession tires that were permanently deformed from being deflated too long on an unused bicycle. So it does happen.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-03-12, 07:02 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of my bikes that are ridden less are hanging, while the bikes I currently ride are on the floor. It sounds like it couldn't hurt to keep a little air in the tires, especially if they are on the floor, just in case they are the kind that deforms, but in terms of the material longevity it shouldn't matter.