Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear tire wearing fast (Trainer?)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 03:48 PM
gadgetadam 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I noticed today that my rear tire is flattened and no longer rounded where it touches the pavement/trainer. I started using a trainer just 2 months ago and my tires (Vittoria Diamante Pro-Radiale) I've had only since the summer. The tires have maybe 800 miles on them and I've been on the trainer maybe a total of 6 hours.

Is this normal?
Should I have cheap tires for the trainer?
Am I doing something wrong?
Do different trainers wear down tires more than others?

Left photo front tire(yes I know front tires don't wear down as fast) right photo rear tire.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2350.jpg (44.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF2351.jpg (43.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-14-12, 03:53 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I spent some time in a Computrainer studio two years ago, and people with regular road tires (including me) had chunks getting torn off their back tires and squared them off in short order. I'm using a Vittoria trainer-specific tire now (on a KKRM, if it makes a difference) and it's not even losing the center seam from the mold. I wouldn't use a tire I wanted to use on the street for any length of time on a trainer.
Old 11-14-12, 03:59 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Those Diamantes are very fragile, thin, racy tires. Trainers are very hard on tires. I think you have the ideal circumstances for wearing out your tires in record time!
Old 11-14-12, 04:12 PM
gadgetadam 

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. I wish I would have known that before mucking up my rear tire. I thought I was doing good in keeping in shape over the winter. I guess I didn't think of everything or research enough. I ordered a new tire to replace the one that now looks like a car tire for next year and a "Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Home Trainer Fold Tire" to use indoors(winter/snow/blah)from now on.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-14-12, 04:14 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have an old conti gp3000 that only sees trainer duty. It is hard and shiny and has had four winters of hard use. It's indestructible.
Old 11-14-12, 04:59 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This kind of sucks for me. I would like to doing some trainer work early in the morning and still ride on the weekends. Where I live, I can ride almost every day of the year. I don't have an extra bike that I can put on the trainer. Do you think the trainer wears out a tire faster than the road? I would think the road is more abrasive than a smooth piece of metal.
Old 11-14-12, 05:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Cheapo rear wheel with old or cheap or trainer-specific tire and cheap cassette. Swap as needed.
Old 11-14-12, 05:23 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
This kind of sucks for me. I would like to doing some trainer work early in the morning and still ride on the weekends. Where I live, I can ride almost every day of the year. I don't have an extra bike that I can put on the trainer. Do you think the trainer wears out a tire faster than the road? I would think the road is more abrasive than a smooth piece of metal.
The trainer definitely accelerates tire wear, however it's not that big of deal. Typically for me a wintr of 3-4 hours a week uses up one in a winter.

You can save a little money going with a cheap trainer tire, but its not going to break you using road tires.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 11-14-12, 06:15 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Cheapo rear wheel with old or cheap or trainer-specific tire and cheap cassette. Swap as needed.
I have an extra set of wheels but need another cassette. I will look into the cost of a new Campy 10 speed cassette.
Old 11-14-12, 06:19 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The trainer definitely accelerates tire wear, however it's not that big of deal. Typically for me a wintr of 3-4 hours a week uses up one in a winter.

You can save a little money going with a cheap trainer tire, but its not going to break you using road tires.
It might be worth putting a different wheel. Those GP4000s are a little expensive.
Old 11-14-12, 06:19 PM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainer specific tire can save you a lot of road use tire. They are extremely durable on the trainer, but can't be used outside. Winter is 6 months long here and snow is everywhere (not now, but it's coming fast...), so it's not that bad to change the tire once every six months...
Old 11-14-12, 07:55 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by generalkdi
Trainer specific tire can save you a lot of road use tire. They are extremely durable on the trainer, but can't be used outside. Winter is 6 months long here and snow is everywhere (not now, but it's coming fast...), so it's not that bad to change the tire once every six months...
I might need to change the back wheel three or four times per week. Winter is non-existent here. I think it would be a pain in the ass.
Old 11-14-12, 08:04 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might need to change the back wheel three or four times per week. Winter is non-existent here. I think it would be a pain in the ass.
then ride outside and stfu
Old 11-14-12, 08:09 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're riding regularly, invest the $35 for a trainer tire. (I think it costs less than that, actually.) Those things last forever on the trainer - mine's nearly 4 years old and is still in great condition. It's worth it if you're riding your trainer weekly and have either an extra bike or extra wheel to keep it mounted on.
Old 11-14-12, 08:42 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I save my old worn out tires and then use them in the winter on the trainer and run them right down to the threads. You can run them right down to the tube on the trainer and they work fine. I would never buy a trainer tire when I have worn out tires to use that work just as well.

I would also never use good tires on the trainer. They wear down fast if you ride a lot. If I only had one bike and was still riding outside some, I would buy a cheap used wheel and a new cassette on Ebay to use for the trainer.
Old 11-14-12, 10:19 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I've never bought a specific trainer tire. I have saved cut tires for a trainer wheel but skipped changing them over. I just ride my regular clinchers on the trainer. I make sure the pressure is reasonable, that the roller isn't too tight on the tire, and I'm good to go. The riders I know that chunk their tire and such do things like use their brakes (the tire skids immediately and you start taking chunks out of the tire), ride with too little pressure (the abnormal amount of flex causes the rubber to come off the casing), or have tires that are starting to crack from age (the inflexible tread cracks off due to slightly higher than normal case flex).

When I get back on the road the rear tire usually has a silver sheen on it from the aluminum roller. For the first mile or so the tire feels a bit slick but as the silver sheen wears off the tire feels normal again.

When I compare the original picture to my current tires I have similar wear, both on my race wheels (tubulars, never sees the trainer, not even rollers) and training wheels (spends 1/3 or so of their time on the trainer, Cyclops Fluid 2). In the original picture I don't see any unusual wear at all.

Having said that I always buy good durable clinchers for my training wheels. I have Maxxis ReFuses now (second season on them, seem very good), had some Bontragers before (they weren't good tires on or off the trainer), Michelin Krylions before that (great tires).
Old 11-14-12, 10:22 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by manutd
then ride outside and stfu
It's my work schedule that gets in the way of riding during the week. A trainer workout fits in the schedule better at times.
Old 11-15-12, 04:36 AM
ozgur.nevres

Bikes: LOOK 565, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you use normal road tire on trainer, it wears out extremely fast. I would recommend you to buy a trainer tire.
Old 11-15-12, 10:01 AM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's my work schedule that gets in the way of riding during the week. A trainer workout fits in the schedule better at times.
Not sure how it takes longer to ride the same distance outside than it does on a trainer. Maybe I was wrong and you don't need to STFU you need to HTFU.
Old 11-15-12, 10:24 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm with the work schedule limiting outdoor riding as well. Between the darkness, traffic, etc., it's too inefficient to ride outdoors at the times I do, whereas the trainer is so convenient and can be such high quality. If I have an hour only, I'll opt for the trainer over anything outdoors here if I'm aiming for a serious workout, since the stoppage time on the local routes is a major limiter from lights and stops. Riding outdoors is the shiz but if you're cramped on time and still want to maximize ability, the trainer is really useful and really works for improvement if you HTFU.
Old 11-15-12, 10:29 AM
yosarian9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a pain to take 30-45 seconds 3-4 times a week to change your wheel? Thats three minutes a week!
If thats a pain im surprised you even ride.
Old 11-15-12, 10:33 AM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires wear out. Eight hundred miles on racing tires isn't bad, actually, and when you're on the trainer the front doesn't get any wear at all, so when you compare the two, the difference is apparent. If you don't want to swap tires or wheels every time you put the bike on the trainer, why not get some decent, long-wearing rubber and use it for everything? I weigh 240, and I routinely get 1500 miles on Panaracer Paselas.
You could also swap the tires, front to back, halfway through their life.
Old 11-15-12, 10:42 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yosarian9
Its a pain to take 30-45 seconds 3-4 times a week to change your wheel? Thats three minutes a week!
No it wouldn't be that bad. I will need another cassette which I don't have. I will do it to save my tires.

By the way, I ride a lot. The only thing that stops me is heavy wind.

Last edited by Carbon Unit; 11-15-12 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 11:05 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yosarian9
I use two bikes myself - one sits mainly on the trainer (racing bike) and the other is my outdoor training bike, but I did do the wheel change (and even tire change for a short time) thing for trainer riding for a good half a year before. It's a pain even though it doesn't take long. The chain grease was the most annoying thing for me, even if it was pretty easy to clean off.

My philosophy that's worked thus far: you really have to make it as EASY as possible to get on that trainer and do real workouts. I don't know anybody who enjoys trainer workouts to the point of looking forward to them after a few weeks of regular trainer workouts. Any little thing you can do to make it easier is worth it. It's hard enough to motivate after a stressful 11 hour workday to get on a trainer to hammer it out and then have no rest afterwards due to family commitments - I've lost entire workouts because that little wheel change tipped me from doing the workout to saying 'screw it', and I'm very motivated to HTFU. (Most of my workouts are 4AM-6AM, and then a 2nd 30min one at lunch, and then a 3rd one from 5:30-6:30PM - I usually try and do 3 a day, but it's split between Swim/bike/run.)
Old 11-15-12, 11:50 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by manutd
Not sure how it takes longer to ride the same distance outside than it does on a trainer. Maybe I was wrong and you don't need to STFU you need to HTFU.
I rode outside in the dark with lights on for two winters and I don't wnat to do it anymore. I was hit once but the car stopped before it drove over me. So, I will take the trainer indoors over riding at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.