Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

was the Officer correct (discussion)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 09:08 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Motorist, Man On Bicycle Get Into Argument
Police Tell Both To Be On Their Way

https://www.journal-topics.com/news/a...a4bcf6878.html
Old 11-16-12, 09:26 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
IMO, cops should charge the cyclist. He admitted to throwing the coffee and there was physical evidence substantiating it. There was admission or proof as to whether the driver ran the stop sign. The cyclist said he did and the driver denied it.

It's never OK (legally) to retaliate.
Old 11-16-12, 09:30 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
He said, she said. Nobody wins.
Old 11-16-12, 09:34 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamesw2
Motorist, Man On Bicycle Get Into Argument
Police Tell Both To Be On Their Way

https://www.journal-topics.com/news/a...a4bcf6878.html
In this circumstance, yes, I think so. Although it sounds as if the motorist gave him justification to "run him in." As even after he was told to leave the scene, he continued to "argue" with the officer about the coffee on his "poor precious."

The irony is that it would have only taken him a few minutes to wipe the coffee up. Of course had HE obeyed law/rules of the road nothing would have happened to him.
Old 11-16-12, 09:35 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the information in the story: I agree with the action of the officer.
Old 11-16-12, 09:38 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Police have better things to do.

Good decision.
Old 11-16-12, 09:58 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
It sounds to me like the police said two idiots, no real harm done and chose not to waste any more time or resources. Good decision on their part.

My gut reaction is that you don't get to throw coffee at someone, regardless of the reason. I understand the anger, and I've been there, but, objectively, it's just not justified. As an officer on scene, I'd probably do what these guys did - say you're both morons and go about my day...but I'd be more likely to take action with the cyclist. That's actually an assault in my state. At a guess, the motorist was a jerkwad and his behavior is why the police let it be.
Old 11-16-12, 12:00 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't throw coffee at people yeah, but at the same time the driver is more concerned about coffee on his car than he is about almost severely injuring a human being. Both are wrong, and the cop had the right decision of course. Can't say I'd be drinking coffee while riding .. but also can't say I wouldn't be tempted to throw it at someone who almost killed me.

Pretty funny that's an actual "news article" tbh
Old 11-16-12, 12:02 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was the cop right? For a he said she said situation with no damage, I'd say yes.

The motorist and cyclist are both lucky the cop didn't decide to cite both of them.
Old 11-16-12, 12:10 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Motorist sounds like a jerk, but I agree with the cop's decision.

What's all this 'never okay to throw coffee at a car' nonsense? Some guy almost kills another human being and suddenly a bit of coffee that takes two seconds to clean up is a big deal? F that. People who do stupid crap should have stuff thrown at them, maybe they'd be less inclined to do stupid crap in the future.
Old 11-16-12, 12:12 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Years ago, and things have gotten worse since then, I was out for a nice ride in the Sepulveda flood control basin. Lots of bike paths, but there is also a dirt road that runs next the the Los Angels River. I took that as a short diversion, free from other people.

I came across a recently stripped car, no wheels other parts gone....

I called it in. Took me a half hour to get through. Police did not want to take a report since I did not have a license plate number. Basically they did not have the time to deal with what was likely a stolen car, but with no leads.

Seems to me that in this context the officer did right. I wish the context was different so that taking both guys in would have been the right decission. But time spent on them is time taken away from muggings, robberies and murders.
Old 11-16-12, 12:27 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
Don't throw coffee at people yeah, but at the same time the driver is more concerned about coffee on his car than he is about almost severely injuring a human being. Both are wrong, and the cop had the right decision of course. Can't say I'd be drinking coffee while riding .. but also can't say I wouldn't be tempted to throw it at someone who almost killed me.

Pretty funny that's an actual "news article" tbh
Running a stop sign without hitting someone is a traffic violation. The other action is, potentially, an assault. At the point where you're yelling at someone, stopping their car, etc...the person probably isn't going to be very receptive to your point. We've all been there; I've yelled, thrown things, etc. But if I were a cop, I wouldn't accept my behavior.

I carry coffee on my bike regularly...I use a Kleen Kanteen.
Old 11-16-12, 12:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
cop just wanted his own coffee
Old 11-16-12, 02:25 PM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cops did a good job.

Unfortunately at stop signs the old adage applies, it ain't breaking the law unless the police see you do it . Or, there's a dead cyclist on the hiway.

Frustrating situation. We've all been there. Best to let it go and pedal straight ahead. Easier said than done!
Old 11-16-12, 04:20 PM
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
Cops did a good job.

Unfortunately at stop signs the old adage applies, it ain't breaking the law unless the police see you do it . Or, there's a dead cyclist on the hiway.
Untrue; no law was broken, he just didn't see him. Or thought he hit a deer. Or something.
Old 11-16-12, 04:30 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
I called it in. Took me a half hour to get through. Police did not want to take a report since I did not have a license plate number. Basically they did not have the time to deal with what was likely a stolen car, but with no leads.
Being in an area like that is probably a mixed blessing. Around here the cops are a bit more like those in Alice's Restaurant - years with not enough to do, they'll respond to missing cat and littering calls. It's not quite like that here but some things that might get blown off in bigger areas do get follow ups here. Whether that's good or not depends on which side of the call you're on.
Old 11-16-12, 05:46 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Looigi
IMO, cops should charge the cyclist. He admitted to throwing the coffee and there was physical evidence substantiating it. There was admission or proof as to whether the driver ran the stop sign. The cyclist said he did and the driver denied it.

I think, while the cops could have charged the cyclist with assault with a deadly weapon, it wouldn't stick. Because, How is the cyclist going to hold a a hot cup of coffee while cycling. Also, Not only that but, where would the cyclist have been able to get the coffee from and carry to the incident. The cyclist would have needed premeditation to accomplish. The cyclist would not have been carrying the coffee, to throw at the next miscreant motorist they came across.
Old 11-16-12, 09:00 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

You must have read a different article than I did:

Police said the motorist was very uncooperative, ...
The motorist ... refused to tell police what happened before the coffee was thrown.
And for others, there was no he said / she said. The cyclist provided a witness statement to the motorist illegal actions and the motorist did not deny it. That would be sufficient to charge the motorist.

I had a motorist force me off the road. I provided a police statement, he took the 5th. He went to court and was convicted.
Old 11-16-12, 09:52 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's not legal to retaliate but if nobody did, we would live in a world where the guy with the most money is always right (because he can afford the best legal team). A healthy amount of retaliation makes the world a much more considerate and safer place. Preferably everyone should have means to retaliate.
Old 11-16-12, 11:30 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Police have better things to do.

Good decision.
My thoughts exactly. Soon they'll be too busy breaking up fights at Toys R Us to deal with petty little traffic skirmishes...
Old 11-17-12, 04:59 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My gut reaction is that you don't get to throw coffee at someone, regardless of the reason. I understand the anger, and I've been there, but, objectively, it's just not justified. As an officer on scene, I'd probably do what these guys did - say you're both morons and go about my day...but I'd be more likely to take action with the cyclist. That's actually an assault in my state. At a guess, the motorist was a jerkwad and his behavior is why the police let it be.
The cop probably figured if he charged the cyclist with assault for throwing coffee, what's going to happen next time? Well I would guess that cyclist is going to figure next he might as well get his money's worth for that assault charge, and therefore he'll beat the next person into the pavement!!!
Old 11-17-12, 05:38 PM
Buddha4

Bikes: 12 Salsa Vaya 2/10 Specialized Rockhopper SL/08 Specialized Roubaix Elite/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would the cyclist admit to "throwing" the coffee. Another version would be"officer I was legally operating my bike when the Audi ran the traffic control device. When I manuevered the bike in a defensive manner the sudden force dislodged the coffee and the momentum and it heading towards the car where it finally rested."
Old 11-17-12, 06:25 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The officer used the "play on" rule. Yes there were faults on both sides but the consequences were not severe enough to penalize either of them more than they already were. Both of them should reflect on the time they wasted playing games.

-G
Old 11-17-12, 06:34 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Way too little objective information, only the subjective veiws of those involved, both of whom seem to be hotheads. Everyone makes mistakes behind the wheel or the handlebars (some more than others). As much as the driver made a fuss about coffee on his car, I doubt he was intentionally trying to cause a collission. Jackarse, probably, in the wrong, maybe, but in any case you don't get to throw coffee just because someone ticks you off. I think the officer handled it well.

Well I would guess that cyclist is going to figure next he might as well get his money's worth for that assault charge, and therefore he'll beat the next person into the pavement!!!
The charge mentioned was disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor. So this would be a brilliant suggestion, trading a misdemeanor in for a felony (beat him severely enough it might be a Class A felony), risking a civil suit and possible injury to yourself as well. These were grown men, not a couple of school yard brats. A little good sense and maturity on the parts of both parties would have helped the situation a lot.

Last edited by Myosmith; 11-17-12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-17-12, 06:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
The cop can't really cite to motorist. Even if he didn't deny it on the spot, surely he would later. The DA's office would be pissed at the cop for clogging up the docket. He could cite the cyclist - even if his story is wholly correct, he has no legal justification to retaliate. But as many have said, there's no real harm here and the driver is being obnoxious so there's zero incentive to take action on what would be considered an exceedingly minor charge. The same clogging the docket rationale applies. If there's no actual damage and the cop saw nothing, he's really just dealing with joint incivility. And we really don't need to have cops or courts wasting time on incivility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.