Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bike tending to go left when no-handed riding

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bike tending to go left when no-handed riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 01:02 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Funny that you bring this up at this time Andy because I have exactly the same issue - this is falling to left with no hands. Davidad's link seems to answer the problem for me. I turned the bike over and ran a string from back wheel to front wheel. The string would not lie parallel to the wheels, being off about 3 to 4 mm. This is a carbon fork so there is no way to bend it as a steel fork can be bent. The "out of line" does not cause any serious or even noticeable problem other than not being able to ride without hands on the bar.
Again, not necessarily so. The wheels may be non-parallel for a reason other than the fork.
Old 11-19-12, 01:18 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
We can lead them to water, but the drinking is strictly up to them.
Yes, well aware of that - I'm not invested in him coming back - my comment was more directed to pointing out the importance of troubleshooting logically rather than a shotgun appproach. It's too bad for others when OP's don't come back to complete the loop, as the opportunity is missed to see how the process works.

While I'm at it I wanted to mention that it's sometimes helpful when asking the "What happened at the same time or before?" question that one not constrain the answer by providing closed ended options up front - such as did you have an accident, did you put the wheel in crooked, etc. (Yes, I actually did provide some possibilities above so that I would not have to ask a followup - compromises have to be made when not in-person). The reason for doing so is that one cannot always anticipate what may have caused a problem, and one could get a "false positive,"

As an example, I was troubleshooting a slow FIOS Internet speed issue on the phone Saturday. "Everything" had been checked that could be done remotely, but it was still slow. It happens the customer had IP over coax (MoCA). I asked the customer if anything in the home had been changed or moved, or if anything else unusual had happened on Thursday when the speed issue first occurred. He mentioned that a person delivering bottled water had dropped the empty jug near where the coax came into the premises. Problem solved - coax had been damaged, and although TV was OK MoCa is more sensitive.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 11-20-12 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 01:24 PM
Booger1

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Headset to tight?
Old 11-19-12, 01:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,188 Times in 2,471 Posts
I just posted a reply to another thread Fork Steerer Alignment. Is there a simple test? which explanes how to check a fork's alignment with simple tools. Andy.
Old 11-20-12, 01:17 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Funny that you bring this up at this time Andy because I have exactly the same issue - this is falling to left with no hands. Davidad's link seems to answer the problem for me. I turned the bike over and ran a string from back wheel to front wheel. The string would not lie parallel to the wheels, being off about 3 to 4 mm. This is a carbon fork so there is no way to bend it as a steel fork can be bent. The "out of line" does not cause any serious or even noticeable problem other than not being able to ride without hands on the bar.
Berner; Did you take into account fact that the OLN of the rear axle is quite a bit more than the front axle? Something like a minimum of 25mm difference (125mm rear - 100mm front). So unless I am misunderstanding in your post (possible), it is not possible for the two strings and the two axles to form a parallelagram. Can you confirm and/or restate?
Old 11-20-12, 02:35 PM
andyspeak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice on this forum.

The bike is about 2 months old, un-crashed, no recent changes made.

Ive been too busy to have a look at it yet but im going to try with the easy stuff first like check the wheel mounting.

Thanks again
Old 11-20-12, 04:19 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
ksisler, the string was attached to the rims so that if the bike were sitting right side up, that attachment point would be between the axle and the ground so as to clear the spokes as they spread towards the axle. With the string just off the rear wheel less than a mm, the string could not be located parallel to the front wheel at the same distance. It would be parallel at at 3 to 4 mm off. If I were to use two strings, one above the wheel axle and one below, This would tell me if the headset were off a bit. As I said, it is barely noticeable so I have not bothered to extend my diagnostics. Maybe I will if it gets too snowy and icy around here to ride. I hope my explanation clarified the issue.
Old 11-20-12, 04:39 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That the bike is new doesnt mean the frame is not true.
Old 11-21-12, 06:11 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by andyspeak
The bike is about 2 months old, un-crashed, no recent changes made.

I've been too busy to have a look at it yet but I'm going to try with the easy stuff first like check the wheel mounting.
...and when did the problem start? If very recently there has to be something that changed (even removal and reinstall of a wheel). Again, the time frame allows you to focus on the possible cause.

If that way from the beginning you need to be taking it back to the store where you purchased it. If you got it mail order and mounting turns out not to be the problem then you need to get agreement from the seller to an evaluation by a shop to determine the exact problem. Once you know what the problem is the seller needs to resolve it to your satisfaction and at no cost to you.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 11-21-12 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 11:54 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since this is a new bike with no history of crashing, the problem is related to either the design geometry, a flaw in construction, or a screw-up in assembly. As far as the geometry goes, some bikes are harder to ride straight hands free. In this case, the pulling to the left is probably related to the road, how you are leaning, or what you are carrying. It would just as easily pull to the right if the factors changes. Construction issues are possible, but I would guess that they are infrequent. Assembly issues are a different story as there are a lot of things that may affect this behavior. As others stated, if this was assembled by a bike shop, you need to take it back to them. If you assembled it, then you may want to have a reputable mechanic look it over to see if it's right. Also, post some pics of your bike. We may see something obvious like this:

Old 11-22-12, 11:58 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be an overly tight headset.