Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I've designed a locking solution for a Commuting bike, is it worth?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 09:14 AM
gtvnt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've noticed that Commuters ("bikers in suits") often are not happy with U-Locks, Cable Locks, etc., as dealing with them can be a kind of embarrasing. Also when you leave your bike for 5 min (like buying that doughnut), messing with e.g. a U-Lock is not appealing at all.

That motivated me to develop a locking solution against occasional stealing that is less messy and quite quicker to use. It also suggests less contact with mud (important for the Commuters and maybe even for some mountain bikers). So I've spent several evenings to shape my thoughts and put the result (code name "BuLLLock") on Coroflot (site for designers):

https://www.coroflot.com/vitgean/The-...-the-Commuters

Now I'm curious about what other bikers might think about this. Is it worth materializing, or other solutions are still better for the Commuter?

Would you please advise.

Thank you.

Vit

Last edited by gtvnt; 11-27-12 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-27-12, 09:29 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not bad.

You may be overstating people's frustration with conventional locks though. Reminds me of the infomercial on The Simpsons for the Juice Loosener, where actor Troy McClure is making orange juice by squeezing an orange against his eye, and then says 'I wish there was an easier way!'
Old 11-27-12, 09:46 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi,

My dislike for U locks lead me to buy a Masterlock Cuffs lock. Still has the kryptonite-like anti-theft warranty and is a bunch easier to use.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-27-12, 10:02 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
I live in Sacramento, California which has a relatively high bike
theft rate per rider...........i would be reluctant to endorse any
locking system that encourages momentary locking that "just
blocks the wheel" for a quick run into a coffee shop.

Just my take on the issue.
Old 11-27-12, 10:07 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Hi,

My dislike for U locks lead me to buy a Masterlock Cuffs lock. Still has the kryptonite-like anti-theft warranty and is a bunch easier to use.

Cheers,
Charles
One of these days I'll be getting those too, that's my preferred alternative to a U-lock too.
Old 11-27-12, 10:16 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of forks nowadays are made of carbon fiber and have fluted, oversized, and/or aero shape tubing. How is your mounting system going to mount on all of these different sized forks? The one you have pictured has a shape like a steel fork.
Old 11-27-12, 10:26 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5993 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,626 Posts
Not to pat myself on the back but to give you a basis for evaluating my opinion. I've been a bike accessory distributor for 40+ years, and for many of those was the largest distributor for Kryptonite in the world.

Your lock falls into the Catch-22 middle ground. It isn't secure enough to replace a decent U-lock, and it's too heavy to replace a light "run-in-for-a-minute" anti-grab-and-run lock. There was a lock of a very similar design some 20 years ago, that sold a decent amount (to dealers) in their first year, and now 20+ years later, you can still find them collecting dust among the other locks.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-27-12 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-27-12, 10:31 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
it just like an old Swedish/Finnish wheel lock, which is usually welded to the frame in the rear triangle.

at least 30 years old ... every Monark had one
Old 11-27-12, 10:58 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 256 Posts
I agree with all above. + It is the absolutely the most STUPID POS I have ever seen. (Except rod/U brakes)
Rear wheel Ring locks would be far better.
Old 11-27-12, 11:15 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Many European utility bikes have a built-in lock that immobilizes the fork so the concept isn't new. Since this lock only immobilizes the front wheel and does not attach the bike to anything solid, all the thief has to do is pick it up and toss it in a car or truck. Motorcycles also have fork locks but they are generally too heavy to swipe easily.
Old 11-27-12, 11:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Many European utility bikes have a built-in lock that immobilizes the fork so the concept isn't new. Since this lock only immobilizes the front wheel and does not attach the bike to anything solid, all the thief has to do is pick it up and toss it in a car or truck. Motorcycles also have fork locks but they are generally too heavy to swipe easily.
The hook part is meant to loop around a stationary object.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-27-12, 11:37 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The hook part is meant to loop around a stationary object.
It seems to be mostly intended just to go through the front wheel spokes to keep the wheel from rotating. For looping around a stationary object, the object better be small as the hook has a very narrow span.
Old 11-27-12, 11:40 AM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...........i would be reluctant to endorse any
locking system that encourages momentary locking that "just
blocks the wheel" for a quick run into a coffee shop.
Differing from e.g. Frame Locks, the BuLLLock allows attaching to outside objects as well. Just locking a wheel is not enough. For sure.

Vit
Old 11-27-12, 11:42 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks interesting but with an expensive bike I'd be worried that the thief would cut off the fork leg and take the rest of the bike. Replacement forks are pretty cheap.

Based on comments above it looks like your illustrations should show the bike locked to a rack or pole to make it clear how it secures the bike. Kickstarter might be a good way to judge market interest.
Old 11-27-12, 11:43 AM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It attaches to any pole (at any angle) with thicknes within about 3 inches, so suitable for most parking places.
Old 11-27-12, 11:47 AM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531phile
A lot of forks nowadays are made of carbon fiber and have fluted, oversized, and/or aero shape tubing. How is your mounting system going to mount on all of these different sized forks? The one you have pictured has a shape like a steel fork.
That's an issue indeed. The BuLLLock is problematic to use with this kind of forks (either doesn't fit or can damage the fork), the rest audience remains quite big anyway, I suppose?
Old 11-27-12, 11:47 AM
Hyperventilate

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like it, thumbs up
Old 11-27-12, 11:49 AM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Differing from e.g. Frame Locks (that just immobilize the bike) the BuLLLock allows for attaching to external object. Span of the lock's braket can be quite big, about 3 inches, what suffices in most situations.

Vit
Old 11-27-12, 11:52 AM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Looks interesting but with an expensive bike I'd be worried that the thief would cut off the fork leg and take the rest of the bike. Replacement forks are pretty cheap.

Based on comments above it looks like your illustrations should show the bike locked to a rack or pole to make it clear how it secures the bike. Kickstarter might be a good way to judge market interest.
The BuLLLock is mostly against a casual stealing (most common and annoying threat). For a "professional" thief it's not a problem indeed, as well as majority of other locks.

Vit
Old 11-27-12, 12:08 PM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
.... Kickstarter might be a good way to judge market interest.
Kickstarter needs a good prototype and handwork. Unfortunately, my hands are made rather from clay . If anyone with golden hands would like to explore this opportunity and to invest his time and efforts, he is really welcome to the team (I'm the only one member of that team so far ).

Vit
Old 11-27-12, 01:06 PM
umazuki

Bikes: Crossrip Elite, Bikesdirect tarck bike custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like this concept. But a question: How is the lock secured to the hook? Is there a collar that clamps down when the key is rotated into position, or is there a catch that fits into one of the grooves on the hook?
Old 11-27-12, 01:12 PM
RobertFrapples
all-weather commuter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My u-lock sits in my pannier and stays clean. A lock attached to my fork would get wet and dirty, which would then make my hands dirty when using it.

It seems only marginally easier to use than a u-lock if at all.

I would have to buy one per bike.

No thanks.
Old 11-27-12, 01:17 PM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umazuki
I like this concept. But a question: How is the lock secured to the hook? Is there a collar that clamps down when the key is rotated into position, or is there a catch that fits into one of the grooves on the hook?
The hook can be pressed (clicked) into the lock as far as possible to be closely attached to e.g. a pole (so less space for a thief to manipulate with the lock - advantage before many U-locks) and secured there. The key is needed only to get the hook out of the lock. The hook can be inserted into the lock and fixed there at desired position without the key.
This approach decreases quantity of operations and simplifies use of the lock what is really important for a Commuter.

Vit
Old 11-27-12, 01:24 PM
gtvnt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertFrapples
My u-lock sits in my pannier and stays clean. A lock attached to my fork would get wet and dirty, which would then make my hands dirty when using it.

It seems only marginally easier to use than a u-lock if at all.

I would have to buy one per bike.

No thanks.
A note about dirt is very much reasonable and should be addressed somehow indeed (regular cleaning? Not sure). From other hand you don't have to put the lock through the dirty bike what is an advantage before a U-Lock (even a medically clean one ).

As for the number of locks, two per bike would be better - the BuLLLock for the front fork and a Frame Lock for the rear wheel. This will compile a simple and quick to use solution that will protect frame and both wheels from casual stealing providing ability to attach the bike to an external object at the same time.

Vit
Old 11-27-12, 01:53 PM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have watched all the videos and seen so many ideas over the years and it boils down to just a few things. 1. The opportunist who sees a bike unlocked and needs a ride or sees a quick flip and grabs the bike and goes. In this case the newer bike he will take first but will just as well take a beater bike that’s unlocked. 2. Then there are the pros looking for quality bikes and also parts. They have all the powered equipment and can cut a lock or a cable or a frame or wheel in seconds and take whatever they can get. If you are looking to avoid having your frame cut in two you have little chance no matter what the lock is. 3. Is the amateur crook with a 30 buck pair of bolt cutters trying to get some drug money. When he sees he can’t get thru a locking system he’s likely to twist your frame or give it a wack just because.

The biggest thing IMO to safe guard a bike for a short time is crappy looking bike, good visibility, some simple deterrent, and maybe an alarm, silent or not or both built into the lock system that needs the key to kill it.

If stores etc. were bike friendly had indoor parking and or surveillance cams. They would pick up business from the biking community.

It’s sad but true have a crappy bike at least looking a half way good lock and mark down your numbers and add some markings to the bike in the event it’s found.

As to your design I like it. The people here many of them ride and secure some really good quality bikes and that raises some of the concerns you have seen. You could sell a billion of these if the price point was right thru Walmart. People buy kids bikes there every day and kids loose locks. This would work for the kid locking his bike up at school etc. and then he would lose the key. Dad would have the spare and it should come with 4 keys.

Good luck if this was the “Shark Tank” I would be in for 25%. 49% if you add a wireless remote alarm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.