Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Am I weird?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Am I weird?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 01:14 PM
tjspiel

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by muu
not crazy.

One of the reasons I moved to a new job was that it had a 14mi commute (living in the town adjacent to workplace) instead of 4. I'm enjoying what I feel is now a proper workout.
Now that's crazy. If I want a better workout than what my commute provides I just take a detour of the desired distance on my way home.
Old 12-12-12, 01:14 PM
oldbikenewbike

Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
I hope when you get to work there's a shower and a change of clothes!
Old 12-12-12, 01:25 PM
SPECELIZEDRIDER

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Ask anyone on the street and they'll tell you anyone who rides a bike on the street is crazy. Most of us are also weird. Just go with it.
we may be weird, but we have money in the bank though and are debt free, well im working on it, yeah that's weird.
Old 12-12-12, 01:44 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, we must relish the weirdness.
Old 12-12-12, 01:46 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is this thread real?
Old 12-12-12, 03:12 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by droy45
Were all a little extreme to do what we do, but what most people don't know is all the enjoyment we get from doing it. You will get conditioned to carrying that kind of weight after a while and it will seem normal to you. Being in the south helps also. In the north we carry possibly 25 extra lbs. of clothing, boots etc. on winter rides and we get used to that right away.

Exactly, the way it works in my corner of the 'verse.
Old 12-12-12, 03:17 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I like to think of myself as ahead of the curve ...

Soon, it will be crazy to NOT commute by bicycle.

However, moving 30# of stuff each way is kinda stupid, IMO.

My "go bag" must weigh close to that. It goes with me everywhere I go, hence, the name "go bag".
Old 12-12-12, 04:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,496 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by SPECELIZEDRIDER
I enjoy the challange of carrying 30 to 50LBS of my stuff 30 miles round trip every work day, am I crazy?
Nah, you're not crazy or weird ,you're tough...I also ride with a backpack full of stuff.
Old 12-12-12, 05:16 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
My "go bag" must weigh close to that. It goes with me everywhere I go, hence, the name "go bag".
i lived in Maine, why 30#?
Old 12-12-12, 06:38 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been getting the "are you crazy" look at work on an off for the last couple of weeks. At least since the temp has dropped a bit. It was 25 deg when I left this morning. We had fog that was freezing on my jacket. When I got to work, I turned on a 36" pedestal fan and stood in front of it while I chugged down about 20 oz of ice water. That will get you some looks! My commute is not bad at all (3 mi). It's nothing compared to what some of you all are doing. I am very aware of that. It does strike me as odd that others (non cyclist) just can't seem to believe you are not in a world of pain. I keep telling them that it's not that big a deal. If I were miserable, I would not continue to commute by bike. The health benefits are what keep me commuting by bike. I feel SO much better. And IT"S FUN. There is some financial benefit, but at the distance I'm going it's not really huge. On the days I do not ride, I really miss it.
Old 12-12-12, 07:22 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani

is this thread real?
This is funny.
Old 12-13-12, 12:07 PM
muu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Curious, what is the commute like for both of y'all? Type of streets, traffic, etc? I also live in the adjacent town from my workplace and would have a 14.5 mile commute each way, and am trying to work up the guts to try it. I'm still nervous of all the 2-lane hilly roads with no shoulder and steady 40-50 MPH traffic on at least half the roads, or more.

I may be able to try it a couple days a week after the new year due to my wife's schedule changing a bit, but of course she's nervous about me riding in the dark (a much better light is a must for me before I try it), and plus there's all the extra time spent away from wife and son vs. the 20 minutes it takes to go 13-14 miles by car.
Are you still in Memphis? Lived down there several years ago and I'd definitely be wary of doing too much riding during rush hour there. I lived near Collierville and drove ~14mi to the area adjacent to Graceland, either you're on the highway w/ the crazies or on Winchester w/ the crazies. Right now I have bike paths (or lightly traveled residential areas) for pretty much the entire stretch, I do have 7mi or so where I'm on a medium-traffic rural highway but drivers here are very much aware of bikers. Traffic lights are relatively few and I probably don't spend more than 3-4mins at a complete stop each way.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Now that's crazy. If I want a better workout than what my commute provides I just take a detour of the desired distance on my way home.
I told you that's just one part of the reason I was in a job w/ no guaranteed future employment (when asked about whether my position was becoming permanent I got a very vague response), and was on schedule to possible have to learn an extremely archaic programming language to take on a project they were bidding on. New job is closer to family (50min vs 4hrs), old friends and it's also a much, much more bike friendly area. Negative is that it rains here daily during the winter in Oregon, but some BF Pearl Izumi raingear and I've been coming dry to work regardless of the weather.
Old 12-13-12, 02:37 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
enjoy your insanity.