Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stainless Steel continues to become more real

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 12:54 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 771 Times in 506 Posts

Some new for the steel crowd.
Besides the current crop of stainless tubing, KVA is making some real inroads and some really nice new frame and bike stuff, alternatives to crapon, are becoming more available.
https://roadbikeaction.com/Tech-Featu...ess-Steel.html

I really like that Torelli and especially the Chris King, the 'traditional' fork is still a thing of great beauty...

and the Cinell XCr has been around for a bit...
...scroll down this page for a pic of this beauty...

anyone here on BF have a stainless ??? some bike pron ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sportif_racer_se1[1].jpg (43.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-13-12, 01:09 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Liked 75 Times in 62 Posts
I've been riding my Waterford RS-22 in Reynolds 953 for over five years. I'm still on my honeymoon. Stainless is awesome; my bike still looks brand new after ~10 k miles, many of them in the rain.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-13-12, 02:50 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Liked 304 Times in 144 Posts
It's still too pricey to make any sense to most people. There are so many better values out there.
Old 12-13-12, 03:27 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by sced
It's still too pricey to make any sense to most people. There are so many better values out there.
Ed, for me it was the value proposition that clinched the deal.

953 is extraordinary dent resistant in spite of 0.3mm wall thickness, very light for a steel frame (1650g for a 61cm frame), highly corrosion resistant, and doesn't need paint (added weight and subject to scrapes). There is a small premium over non-stainless steel frames, but to me the benefits are worth it. Because of my outlier body proportions, I can't get a decent fit with a stock frame, so I was looking at custom anyway.

The brazer was Dave Wages who spent many years at Serotta and Waterford before starting Ellis Cycles, and the lugwork and brazing are as close to perfection as you're likely to find anywhere; voids in the shorelines and file marks stand out like sore thumbs on naked polished stainless.

my bikes

Old 12-13-12, 03:28 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
What is the attraction of spending a ton of money to buy a bike that will "last forever"? Practically speaking, maybe technologies will change (wireless shifting? disc brakes?) that you'll want to have but will require a different frame to take advantage of. Non-practically speaking, new stuff is fun. Maybe you just want to get something cool and fashionable. Also "crapon"? That's what you're going with?
Old 12-13-12, 03:33 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Also "crapon"? That's what you're going with?
Just another one thinking that the bike world should share his, and only his, vision of cycling...

God forbid there be an actual use for CF frames. Or even worse, different people have different wants and needs? *gasp*

Do I have to give back my ti bike because I have a CF bike too?

Old 12-13-12, 03:37 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Do I have to give back my ti bike because I have a CF bike too?
Not with carbon, but I think with bamboo you would.
Old 12-13-12, 03:41 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

The OP asked about members with stainless bikes and I responded. I don't expect everyone to share my opinions and I'm open to others' opinions.

That is all.

my bikes

Old 12-13-12, 03:41 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Cielo is pretty sweet.
Old 12-13-12, 03:57 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My (much cheaper) steel frame hasn't stained. But I do wish it was a bit lighter and stiffer in the BB area; especially if it was my only bike.

I like my 'crapon' frameset quite a lot, for whatever that's worth...

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 12-13-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 04:09 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
The OP asked about members with stainless bikes and I responded. I don't expect everyone to share my opinions and I'm open to others' opinions.

That is all.
I see nothing wrong with your post at all. The OP came in with a chip on his shoulder, not you.

Originally Posted by canam73
Not with carbon, but I think with bamboo you would.
I really would love to ride a bamboo bike. I wish that there were one of those "make your own bamboo bike" workshops near me.

Old 12-13-12, 04:18 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Ed, for me it was the value proposition that clinched the deal.

953 is extraordinary dent resistant in spite of 0.3mm wall thickness, very light for a steel frame (1650g for a 61cm frame), highly corrosion resistant, and doesn't need paint (added weight and subject to scrapes). There is a small premium over non-stainless steel frames, but to me the benefits are worth it. Because of my outlier body proportions, I can't get a decent fit with a stock frame, so I was looking at custom anyway.

The brazer was Dave Wages who spent many years at Serotta and Waterford before starting Ellis Cycles, and the lugwork and brazing are as close to perfection as you're likely to find anywhere; voids in the shorelines and file marks stand out like sore thumbs on naked polished stainless.
I've seen your bike on the forums and know it's really a special thing, a work of art without compromise, and no doubt a well justified reward for being such a good boy all these years. Who gets it when you're gone?...just kidding. I have a few nice bikes and know they'll be garage saled without a tear.
Old 12-13-12, 04:26 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Who gets it when you're gone?...just kidding.
Most will get garage saled, but my 25 year-old nephew who's built just like me has dibs on the Waterford.

my bikes

Old 12-13-12, 04:41 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Most will get garage saled, but my 25 year-old nephew who's built just like me has dibs on the Waterford.
I remember you saying that the fork is chromed carbon steel. Does it match the stainless well?
Old 12-13-12, 04:43 PM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think stainless and Ti are the most beautiful materials to make bike frames out of, Firefly bikes makes some esquisite stainless frames, I dont have the $ but I have a lot of respect.
Old 12-13-12, 04:57 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

I remember you saying that the fork is chromed carbon steel. Does it match the stainless well?
The fork blades are chrome plated 531 manganese-molybdenum with Newvex polished stainless crown (Reynolds wasn't making 953 fork blades when the bike was built in early 2007). I treat the fork blade inside surfaces with Frame Saver.

You can't tell the difference between the chrome plated blades and the polished stainless; they match perfectly.

my bikes

Old 12-13-12, 05:08 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 771 Times in 506 Posts
I see nothing wrong with your post at all. The OP came in with a chip on his shoulder, not you.
not intended to come across as that, 'crapon' is a term of endearment, for me, I have 4 myself (of which I really need to get rid of 2 of them). My tarmac vies for 'mileage' king with my steel Marin Treviso, out of all my bikes... Tarmac comes out on wkends for the faster group rides and Treviso servers mid-wk duty...
I really do luv all bikes...

as for Scooper and his SS bike - if I was a jealous person, I would be very envious. But do thank him for the bike pron, since I didn't seen all those detail pics before - glorious machine!
I was hopin there were more SS bikes on BF...
I'd luv to have one to ride for a while... and some day I might

I really would love to ride a bamboo bike. I wish that there were one of those "make your own bamboo bike" workshops near me.
Bamboo is very cool as a material, as well as visually. For a naturally engineered material it really is wonderous. There have been some good bamboo threads here on BF - wonder if anyone has a bamboo regular rider?

This thread is really to hilight that there are plenty of 'fashionable','new', 'fast' bike designs coming out in steel, not everything needs to be 'vintage' in steel. And although maybe not 'pro' race material, they would still be more than capable and sporting for many of us... and many, like scooper's bike, might easily fall into the industrial art category with no problem.
Old 12-13-12, 05:12 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,178 Times in 3,712 Posts
I've been riding my Waterford RS-22 in Reynolds 953 for over five years. I'm still on my honeymoon. Stainless is awesome; my bike still looks brand new after ~10 k miles, many of them in the rain.

SWEET!! The lugs are the shiznitz!!
Old 12-13-12, 05:15 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
What is the attraction of spending a ton of money to buy a bike that will "last forever"?
It's nice. With no paint it'll continue to look nice in spite of dings picked up from gravel, parking, minor crashes on ice, etc which are the same color as opposed to primer or rust - my titanium frame looks better after 16 years than the preceding steel frame did in less than half that time.

It needn't cost _that_ much. Scott Quiring will do a custom Columbus XCr road frame for $1800 which is in-line with affordable custom American titanium and carbon frames. Net cost for a complete bike could be just a few hundred more (my spare part collection is just bars, stem, and a brakeset short of what I need to turn a frame into a bike and I don't accumulate parts the way some people do).

Heck, it's less than a stock geometry cookie cutter Specialized S-Works frame.

I'm leaning towards stainless steel for my next frame (since it'll be easy to get a matching unicrown fork which isn't practical with titanium) with longer chain stays to accommodate panniers commuting and clearance for fenders (I'm less tolerant of weight on my back and being wet than when I was a young lad and seem to encounter rain more now that I don't live in an alpine desert).

Practically speaking, maybe technologies will change (wireless shifting? disc brakes?) that you'll want to have but will require a different frame to take advantage of.
That hasn't happened for most of us in the last 30 years apart from the rear triangle spread from 126 to 130mm which is an easy adjustment on steel frames.

Guys in Seattle who are changing rims every year or two due to brake track wear would probably appreciate an upgrade to disc brakes; although updates like brake mounts welded to the rear triangle and a new fork cost far less than a frameset or complete bike especially where paint work isn't needed.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 12-13-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 05:22 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My dream bike is a super record and bora equipped stainless steel tommasini. If we want to get particular it would have a deda seatpost, deda stem, deda handlebar, slr saddle, and veloflex tires.

Modern innovations? I'm content with rim brakes and 10spd. I'm actually looking at parting ways with my only frame made in the last decade and buying another steel frameset. This time one made in the 70s. For prospective, I was made in the 80s.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 12-13-12 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 06:59 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
I'm leaning towards stainless steel for my next frame (since it'll be easy to get a matching unicrown fork which isn't practical with titanium) with longer chain stays to accommodate panniers commuting and clearance for fenders (I'm less tolerant of weight on my back and being wet than when I was a young lad and seem to encounter rain more now that I don't live in an alpine desert).
My chainstays are 432mm long, which easily accommodate my Tubus Luna rack and Lone Peak panniers, and I recently fitted SKS Raceblade Long fenders which can be installed or removed in less than fifteen seconds flat. I often go credit card touring for several days at a time, and the ability to accommodate a rear rack with panniers and fenders was a design requirement.

my bikes

Old 12-13-12, 10:52 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hubba hubba
Old 12-14-12, 10:40 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
not intended to come across as that, 'crapon' is a term of endearment, for me, .....
Well we wouldn't have known that until you clarified it as such. Otherwise the term 'hypocrite' comes to mind as the first link you posted is a steel bike with Enve carbon wheels.

I don't think the two materials - or other multiple materials - have to be exclusive. As much as I like modern sports cars with carbon fiber bodies and components, I'm keeping my 70's and 80's machinery with yes, steel bodies.