Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Help with chosing a cyclocross bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 12:06 AM
Skitzin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Well I have decided to get back in bike riding again and was looking for advice regarding cyclocross bikes.

Essentially I have always used cyclocross in the past as I have enjoyed the freedom offered by this type and have previously owned a Kona Jake the Snake 2009. Unfortunately when I local sources I foudn that they are now only selling the 2013 model (when available) and the price is a steep $1900 (gotta love Australia regional princing :/ ).

So I have decided to come here and get some advice on alternatives which are a bit easier on the wallet. I also figured as I am just getting back into it I should probably avoid buying an expensive bike until a bit later once i get settled in to it.

So basically I am looking at a decent cyclocross that will do the road/daily commute thing whilst also be able to go off-road/mud etc. My ceiling is about $1400 and I like the idea of disc brakes now ...

So any advice you have on models to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-12, 06:49 AM
starjag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Jake if you want disc brakes, Jake the Snake if you want slightly better components but are okay without disc brakes.
Old 12-19-12, 09:41 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 1,475 Posts
I agree that the Kona Jake is a good choice. The biggest thing you give up relative to the Snake is the carbon fork, and you can always get a carbon fork later if you decide that's important to you.
Old 12-19-12, 11:28 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
It sounds like a Surly Cross Check might fit your needs. The bike is not a race machine, but it will fit 700x40 tires with plenty of clearance and the price point is right.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-19-12, 01:20 PM
Dux89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona still has 59cm 2012 Kona Jakes in stock, or at least they did as of last month. If you're tall, you can probably get a good deal on one... I bought one for $900. They might have other sizes, too, though I don't think they have 56.
Old 12-19-12, 03:43 PM
starjag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^ Wow, good deal! Congrats!
Old 12-20-12, 09:12 PM
johnread

Bikes: Surly LHT, Pashley Guv'nor, Pilen Sport, and other stray pups

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the Surlys and Konas are great bikes! I chose the Specialized Crux. Its list price is a bit higher than your $1400 target, but it's a great all-around bike that might be worth considering. Perhaps a discount from an LBS would put it within reach. Specialized also makes the TriCross, which is similar but has eyelets for racks and fenders and is a little less expensive. Here's the 2012 Crux:

Old 12-24-12, 11:47 PM
robinmbers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good idea,I agree that the Kona Jake is a good choice. The biggest thing you give up relative to the Snake is the carbon fork.thanks