Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is it always about "the next bike"?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: If you had the money to spend on a commuter bike...
I would buy another commuter bike.
17.07%
I would upgrade my current commuter.
23.17%
I am satisfied with my current ride.
52.44%
Other. Please explain.
7.32%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Is it always about "the next bike"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-12, 01:56 AM
CyclingVirgin

Bikes: 1991 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=10 Wheels;15079363]I picked up this trailer from a yard sale for $25. 100 lb capacity.

UOTE]

What size tires are you running?
Old 12-23-12, 08:59 AM
buck65
cherish the day

Bikes: Rivendel Sam Hillborne, SOMA San Marcos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny because I notice that, while spending time online browsing BF or Flickr, I tend to obsess about making another bike purchase. I would love to get some sort of a Rivendell or Waterford single-speed commuter bike with braze ons, accommodations for fat tires, and high handle bars. But when I actually ride my bike, I usually tend to think that it has fantastic ride characteristics. I also tend to question my desires for wanting a new bike.

I voted that I am satisfied with my current commuter because it's dialed in perfectly. It currently has 32mm tires, a comfy saddle, and a smart drivetrain that works well with the hills in my commute.
Old 12-23-12, 09:11 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle Addict
What does n+1 mean? (lol bit of a dumb moment)
N+1 is the mathematical formula that defines the correct number of bikes to own, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

In certain situations, however, S-1 applies, where S is the number of bikes that will cause the spouse to leave.
Old 12-23-12, 10:06 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Liked 83 Times in 33 Posts
Living in a highrise condo downtown, my limitation on N+1 isn't money, it's space. My GF & I get two spaces in our building's bike room where our two hybrids live. And then my road bike and folder live in our condo. My GF won't allow any more than that.

Which I suppose is just as well considering 3 bikes is a decent commuting stable. (but I still want a fat bike)
Old 12-23-12, 10:16 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,254 Times in 630 Posts
[QUOTE=CyclingVirgin;15079815]
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I picked up this trailer from a yard sale for $25. 100 lb capacity.

UOTE]

What size tires are you running?
Trailer = 20 X 1.50

Bike: Front 700 X 28 / Rear 700 X 40

Old 12-23-12, 10:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
it took a long time to settle on a commuter. it was a real progression until I achieved perfection and in the end I wound up with a fair weather commuter and a separate foul weather unit. so ... two
Old 12-23-12, 11:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I can always imagine the improved specifications for a bike I cannot afford.

[2nd winter, on my Bi-Fri pocket Llama, disc brakes, dynohub, IGH .. ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-23-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-23-12, 02:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I'd get a beater in many places I used to live, as they had & still have, an active bike theft sector.
Old 12-23-12, 07:14 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I'm actually very satisfied with my current commuter, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't upgrade it if I had money tagged for bike purchases.
That's about where I'm at in things too. I'd ad a different bike if I was going to ad another one, and probably commute on it some days too.
Old 12-23-12, 08:53 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
I voted that I am satisfied with my commuter ride. I'd better be, I've dumped nearly two grand into a frame I got on Craigslist for $10!
It's set up exactly the way I want it, which is why I went this route. I would have ended up changing out 90% of the parts of any new bike anyway.
I feel your pain.

About the only thing that is original on my bike is the frame--unfortunately I paid more than 10 dollars for it.
Old 12-23-12, 09:39 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
Im sure my opinion wont be a popular one, but I feel people who are new to commuting are the ones more prone to wanting new equipment.
Of course new stuff is cool, but the "I need a new _ _ _ _" factor seems to be expotentially less with peoples whom's miles are more . . .
Makes perfect sense, huh ?
Of course it makes sense; but, not for reasons of greater maturity or insight. People who have been commuting for years already have a bike equipped, pretty much, the way they want it.

At the same time, people who are newer to riding and still working through the learning curve about what works best for them in their situation.

You are not looking at maturity, or foolishness. You are looking at individualized learning curves.
Old 12-23-12, 10:59 PM
Whit68

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not a regular commuter but bike commute occasionally. When I commute I either use my road bike or mountain bike. If I were to upgrade I would like a CX bike. It would give me the feel of the road bike (for the distance) but give me the opportunity to hit the gravel trails when necessary.
Old 12-23-12, 11:34 PM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably visit the bike shop more than the grocery store. I have a problem. I'm trying to seek help. PLS HELP ME PLS O PLS! I want this, I want that!
Old 12-24-12, 06:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I am totally satisfied with my current commuter rides but I ought to be since I have 4 different bikes that I commute on plus one purely recreational ride. Personally I think two commuters are essential so there is a backup if one bike has a flat when you get ready to leave or one is in the shop. I am at my limit now in terms of storage space so I am satisfied with my stable because I will have to get rid of a bike if I buy any more. I ride and enjoy all of my bikes. I've got two sport tourers I commute on most of the time, a touring bike for days when I need to carry a lot of gear, and an Italian racer for days when I want to go fast.
Old 12-24-12, 08:20 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's a couple of bikes I can think of that I might want to own: a mountain bike and a fat bike. But with the 4 I have now (2 of which are commuters -- 1 summer, 1 winter), I already don't really have enough room in my apartment. If I got another, I'd have to store it in the bathtub or get rid of my bed to make room.

So I voted other.
Old 12-24-12, 08:35 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Of course it makes sense; but, not for reasons of greater maturity or insight. People who have been commuting for years already have a bike equipped, pretty much, the way they want it.

At the same time, people who are newer to riding and still working through the learning curve about what works best for them in their situation.

You are not looking at maturity, or foolishness. You are looking at individualized learning curves.
Hahahahaha! Not me! I've ridden for 40+ years and have what I feel is my ideal commuter, but on my days off I'm always hanging around the LBS scoping out the new machines, then at home I'm always surfing the bike manufacturer's websites - Sure, I like my current bike, but I always seem to be in drool mode when looking at and fantasizing about new machines. Fortunately for my marriage and my pocketbook I've been able to hold back on purchases. But although my current bike is tweaked and equipped just the way I want, I am never truly satisfied.
Old 12-24-12, 01:19 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I voted for the "other".. I ride C&V bikes, crazy about the way they look and ride. I commute with all of them except the Litespeed. I am always looking on C&L and Ebay for C&V bikes. When I see ones that I like, price is right, I get it. Then I ride it..I commute 5 days a week, some weeks, I slack and only ride 4. No panniers, fenders, only a backpack,or messager bag and lights go on my bikes..

I am scanning C&L and Ebay right now for my next one..
Old 12-24-12, 03:13 PM
dcr

Bikes: 2010 Raleigh Detour Deluxe, 2004 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My recent purchase will satisfy for years. Right now it's about that next hot ride---ride on my bike!
Old 12-24-12, 06:41 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I commute with all of them except the Litespeed.
As much as I rave about my 2006 Trek Portland (see post 11), my 1996 Litespeed Classic has become my favorite ride. Especially on those workdays when I don't need panniers. Try it on the Litespeed.
Old 12-24-12, 07:02 PM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm quite happy with my commuter, but I am tempted to get another bike for recreation/touring. I probably will this summer when I go to Europe for a cycling event (instead of renting one). I also have been looking on CL for a bike to leave on campus (I work at a university). I keep my commuter inside during the day and it really isn't convenient to take it outside for lunch or if I have to go to a meeting across campus. I'd like to get a cheap beater and keep it in the bike rack outside of the building for lunch runs.
Old 12-24-12, 07:02 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

And on the subject of post 11, yesterday I was prepping the bikes for winter, which seems finally to be getting its act together here on the North Coast.

One of the nine bullet points on my list when I bought the Trek Portland was "Room for my studded snow tires in the frame and fork". It's also no secret that as nice as studded snow tires are to have, on roads without snow, slush and ice, they're a big fat pain. (I was reminded of this today on a literal "dry run" of ten miles of errands.)

In winter, my backup three-seasons commuter provides respite from pushing the darned snow tires on nice days. I tried just toughing it out, I tried changing tires with the weather, and I tried separate wheelsets. For me, a separate bike--fendered and racked--with three-season tires and KoolStop salmons works best.

Yesterday while washing my backup three-seasons commuter in prep for a coat of Bike Lust, I discovered a half-inch crack in the head tube. For several weeks I've thought it felt funny braking. Now I know why.

So I'm suddenly in the market for a new frameset. Since it's to be the backup three-seasons commuter, and a bottom-of-the-line aluminum bike has proven to be just dandy in that role for the past six years, I'm looking at low-end aluminum road frames. Unfortunately, since the cracked one has a one-inch steerer, I'm also looking for a fork.

It's too early to make a decision, but I'm strongly considering the Ribble Winter/Audax frame. It'll tip the scales at about $275 for frame, fork, and headset. I'll swap over the components, and hang the old frameset on the wall.
Old 12-24-12, 08:24 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
I voted for the "other".. I ride C&V bikes, crazy about the way they look and ride. I commute with all of them except the Litespeed. I am always looking on C&L and Ebay for C&V bikes. When I see ones that I like, price is right, I get it. Then I ride it..I commute 5 days a week, some weeks, I slack and only ride 4. No panniers, fenders, only a backpack,or messager bag and lights go on my bikes..

I am scanning C&L and Ebay right now for my next one..
You have an impressive lineup of vintage steel!
Old 12-26-12, 09:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 492 Times in 385 Posts
I bought a 1990 Trek 7000 to replace my 1991 Trek 8000 when my son took it to college. If I wanted anything more than that I could have bought something else, but that's all I really need. I already have an all-out carbon fiber road bike so I have no need for speed in my commuter.
Old 12-27-12, 06:54 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lately I find myself wondering if a delta trike would be a good choice in the winter compared to 2 wheels. I can see the obvious downside (3 wheel tracks instead of 1), and the upside (no need to balance), but I don't know how it would work in reality.

For the summer, 2 wheels is where it's at for me when riding around the city. I have my recumbent tadpole trike for my distance rides, but no way is that ever going to see salt with what I paid for it. I have my folder that I use when I travel.

So I'm pretty happy with my current selection, but I still wonder if 3 wheels would work better in the winter.
Old 12-27-12, 08:42 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want a recumbent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.