Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A small piece of tire is missing. What should I do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A small piece of tire is missing. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 09:31 PM
Bikeforumuser0017
Goofy Goober

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
All I see is a question mark.

OK. You should see the picture now.
Old 01-02-13, 09:33 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is fine.
Old 01-02-13, 09:33 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I'd run it.
Old 01-02-13, 09:34 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
no big deal. smaller than on my tyre.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-02-13, 09:35 PM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'd run it, doesn't look like there's many more miles on that tire anyway. Starting to square off pretty well.
Old 01-02-13, 09:37 PM
Bikeforumuser0017
Goofy Goober

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
All I see is a question mark.

delete

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0017; 01-02-13 at 09:38 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-02-13, 11:05 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Run it; it's fine. Don't need to do nothing.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-03-13, 12:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 1,996 Times in 1,419 Posts
Around here, in the winter I get 3 or 4 things like that every time I go out. The problem with doing nothing is that holes and cuts like that pick up bits of gravel and such like and those bits can cause a flat. I keep a tube of black polyurethane caulk, 3M 5200 is a popular brand, in a caulking gun. After every ride, after my tires are dry again, I fill these holes and cuts with caulk. In 24 hours or a little less, the stuff is cured and ready to go. When I'm done using it, I squeeze the gun enough to extrude half an inch of material to grab onto next time and then tape over it with masking tape. Next time, untape, pressurize the gun, and pull the partially cured plug out of the nozzle. Ready to use again. Don't get it on your hands, you'll have a heck of a time getting it off.

You have to look in the hole or cut and see if any carcass threads were cut. If they are, then the tire will bulge when pumped. If it bulges enough that the tube might possibly come through, you need to boot as well as fill the hole. Otherwise, you don't need to boot, just fill the hole. I don't use superglue, because I've found that old superglue acts like glass and can work its way through the belt and cause a flat. Looks good when you do it, but can have a bad result if there's much superglue in the hole or cut. Yeah, I know, sounds rather anal. But it keeps my tires going.

As long as I'm going over my tires anyway, I'll use the point of a knife to flick out any stones or bits of glass which are embedded but haven't caused a flat - yet. I dislike flats.
Old 01-03-13, 12:13 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I see it now - I'd take a small screwdriver and check that there's not a small sharp rock/shard or glass or other object in there that might work it's way through the belt and cause a puncture. When you're happy that there's nothing in there, you should be good to go.
Old 01-03-13, 12:20 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
how about using the liquid rubber in patch repair kits to fill the hole?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-03-13, 12:52 AM
Six jours

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I keep a tube of black polyurethane caulk, 3M 5200 is a popular brand, in a caulking gun. After every ride, after my tires are dry again, I fill these holes and cuts with caulk. In 24 hours or a little less, the stuff is cured and ready to go...You have to look in the hole or cut and see if any carcass threads were cut. If they are, then the tire will bulge when pumped. If it bulges enough that the tube might possibly come through, you need to boot as well as fill the hole. Otherwise, you don't need to boot, just fill the hole...As long as I'm going over my tires anyway, I'll use the point of a knife to flick out any stones or bits of glass which are embedded but haven't caused a flat - yet. I dislike flats.
Thread should end here.
Old 01-03-13, 07:28 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Thread should end here.
Or just pour some super glue in there. That will hold it together just fine and prevent it from tearing. I've done that several times, even with cuts through to the casing, with zero problems.
Old 01-03-13, 09:05 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
That's nothing -- looks like it came from a rock or glass shard.

As others have suggested, use a small blade to check for and remove remnants. I would not fill it. This is an extremely common situation.
Old 01-03-13, 09:42 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
how about using the liquid rubber in patch repair kits to fill the hole?

Just tried. No good. When it dried, it disappeared to nothing.

Old 01-03-13, 09:49 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
I see it now - I'd take a small screwdriver and check that there's not a small sharp rock/shard or glass or other object in there that might work it's way through the belt and cause a puncture. When you're happy that there's nothing in there, you should be good to go.
1+

I get stuff like this in my tires all the time. Do make sure there isn't a piece of glass or sharp rock in there.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 01-03-13, 10:09 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, I'd make sure there's nothing in it and then just run it. It's just the evidence that the puncture resistance layer did its job.
Old 01-03-13, 11:23 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
BTW, if that hole were double the length, the advice would be the same -- use a blade or small screwdriver to fish out remaining glass/rock in the tire and not worry or do anything about it if the casing was OK.
Old 01-03-13, 12:58 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
BTW, if that hole were double the length, the advice would be the same -- use a blade or small screwdriver to fish out remaining glass/rock in the tire and not worry or do anything about it if the casing was OK.
I do this just about every week. The tires have so many, many of those holes and tears that I'm amazed that they aren't ruined yet. I wonder who are the people that rode their tires until the thread started to show?
Old 01-03-13, 08:01 PM
Bikeforumuser0017
Goofy Goober

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably boot it and fill it with caulking.
Old 01-03-13, 11:57 PM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guilty. Sometimes it seems like those darn cords appear out of nowhere :-0

Originally Posted by hyhuu
I do this just about every week. The tires have so many, many of those holes and tears that I'm amazed that they aren't ruined yet. I wonder who are the people that rode their tires until the thread started to show?
Old 01-04-13, 05:12 AM
jolly_ross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT4
Picture

I get the picture.

It's not a wear indicator, it's just a normal puncture - I'd superglue it and ride on.

In fact, you could probably skip the superglue step.