Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

losing your cookies!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

losing your cookies!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 09:02 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
losing your cookies!

I remember seeing some clip on OLN where they showed the Mt Washington Hill climb. A couple of guys lost their cookies when they got to the top- just leaned over the handlebars and BRREECCHHH! I figure if you climb up Mt Washington you're entitled to throw up.

I remember coming pretty close once after climbing a really steep hill (a hilly street, not a mountain!), it was a very warm day and when I got to the top I really thought I'd barf! I just sat there breathing in and out of my mouth for a while and felt better. But it's happened to other people i know so I felt better knowing that I'm not a weenie. Has it ever happened to anyone else- either coming really close or actually throwing up? Hey, if it happens to the Pros....
Old 08-25-05, 09:09 PM
flyingasics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm not really a thrower upper. But when I used to run alot I couldn't eat more than 3 or 4 hours before I ran or I would get sick to my stomach. I can eat spagetti 30 min before I ride I love it. On the bike I don't get sick, its more like my chest tightens up and I have to back off for a bit.

Anyone have any links to pics of Pros loosing their lunch?
Old 08-25-05, 09:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
almost but not quite. It was really hot out and it was near the beginning of the season, so when I did a hilly route I was dying. i got off the bike to rest for a bit, but when i stopped moving my stomach got so bad that I just started moving again to keep from puking.

Other times I've felt that way and just laid down on the side of the road because I just couldn't pedal anymore... never actually puked though, thankfully.
Old 08-25-05, 11:43 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few mini pukes at the top of hard fast climbs while racing.. Weird really, kind of a little lean over, erp and go. Never lost more than a few pedal strokes and felt much better.
Old 08-26-05, 12:03 AM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my cookies are well protected
Old 08-26-05, 12:04 AM
jpbova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel ill after almost every ride... provided I pushed myself hard that day
Old 08-26-05, 06:23 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've seen Mount Washington and can understand the pain!

It happened to me only once when I had eaten a peach before a ride. My body doesn't exactly react well to that particular fruit and decided to rid itself of all remains. Those were the most miserable five miles home.
Old 08-26-05, 07:21 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never come close, but I've certainly felt sick and weak on very hot days with lots of climbing.
Old 08-26-05, 07:45 AM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, lookit me, the only real barfer on the board.

Yep, I barf. Yak. Hurl. Other people get tired, but I get nauseated. Back when I was racing, the hardest thing for me to overcome was the first wave of nausea that would hit me during a race--10 minutes or so of the absolute worst feeling I've ever had. If I could get through it, it would subside and I could ride well, but getting through it was some of the toughest riding I've ever had to do. Luckily, a couple of teammates would generally tow me along through the worst, helping me to stay on until it went by. After it left, I could actually win races.

It was hard to know what to eat on the road. Bananas? Nope. Breakfast before a race? Nope. Powerbars and diluted BodyFuel were the staples of my racing career, and these were the FIRST Powerbars--the good 'uns that stuck to your top-tube if you unwrapped them. Even so, that didn't always work: the team did a short, open (unsanctioned) race in a small town that was only 11 miles long. 11 miles--a sprint if there ever was one. Local newspaperman caught a nice photo of me spewing said Powerbars and BodyFuel at great speed across the line; the photo had a "suspended in time" quality to it, since the food was quite obviously suspended in the air. Luckily, it was in black and white. I had the flu, so the after-race hurling was some of the worst I ever experienced.

Now, 16 years later and getting back on the bike, I worry about it. I'm trying more variety in my diet and trying to determine what the nausea springs from--if it's related to my diet, or if it's just some physiological thing that I do. Haven't barfed yet, but tonight's group ride is sure to be a test. Wish me luck.

If you barf, I understand.
Old 08-26-05, 09:19 AM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From another champion spewer, I salute you! ... but i'll try and miss your shoes...

I've never hurled during/after a ride, but I can't tell you the number of times I've been hospitalized for dehydration because I've lost count. I began hurling like a pro and being hospitalized for it at age 5, and am well aware that it has been over a year since I last hurled. My prob is, once I start I don't stop very well, esp. if I start to dehydrate.

But back to the biking/hurling: last Sunday on a hot ride I started to feel a bit nauseous and "burpy" -- does the heat/effort equation fit into it? Is dehydration a part of it? If your blood flow is concentrating in your leg muscles, does it slow down digestion?

Last edited by Bibi; 08-26-05 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-26-05, 09:37 AM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wabbit...see the Denver thread!
The only reason I didn't give up was that I couldn't breathe deep enough to go there.
The climbs for me, the flatlander, were something else.

and Bibi, remind me to stay in front of you on our next ride!
Old 08-26-05, 09:55 AM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stay way ahead, in case i do a demon-possessed type of hurl ...
Old 08-26-05, 09:56 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
By the way, it's a bad idea to stuff yourself with sushi and ice cream before doing hill climb intervals.

fyi.
Old 08-26-05, 09:58 AM
KirkeIsWaiting
the dog ate my earbuds

Bikes: Colnago CT-1 B-stay Campy Carbon Record, '05 Litespeed Siena Campy, Bridgestone X03 , Peugeot dream bike gets FIXED, Waterford Campy Record Colbalto, Motobecane Tandem in perfect condition, A Belgium made Bertin that was sent by an angel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
By the way, it's a bad idea to stuff yourself with sushi and ice cream before doing hill climb intervals.

fyi.
Raspberry gels and beer making for a better hurl?
Old 08-26-05, 10:51 AM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eewww.... the footage on Mt washington showed the hurlers bringing up mostly gator-ade colored stuff.

I'm not a barfer at all- I think the last time I actually threw up was like 20 years ago and that was from drinking too much new year's eve. And dry heaves after post-op anesthesia, but that doesn't count because your stomach is empty. And I never get carsick or airsick. However, I think in places like Denver or mt washington, who wouldn't puke at that altitude? I guess the pros who do the grand tours and are used to the alps handle it a bit better, they know what to eat and not eat. But needless to say,even they pass out or bonk on hot days with the thin air.
Old 08-26-05, 01:24 PM
sjjone

Bikes: Raleigh 2003 Professional

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to have an iron tummy, but during my last race, one girl threw up in the last 200 meters. She just turned her head, blew it out and kept hammering. Pretty impressive, I think she must have done it a few times before since she seemed unfazed by it.
Old 08-26-05, 01:46 PM
Mr_Super_Socks

Bikes: Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes get bad cramps, but the only time I ever got nauseous was doing some climbing up towards Nederland (sp?) from Boulder. I am sure it was not purely exertion related, but rather a kind of mild altitude sickness. I really hadn't felt that way before and I got a little dizzy, too. I had been told that high altitude meant less oxygen (which may be true) but I actually felt great and was going gangbusters, except for the slight dizziness and then that nausea. I played it safe and stopped at this crazy German Restaurant to gain my recomposure and felt better after about 10 mins. beautiful weather and a great ride, but the nausea is not something I would like to have happen frequently.. ick
Old 08-26-05, 01:50 PM
telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain

Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hurled after a 300km brevet once. But just that one time.
Old 08-26-05, 01:51 PM
konageezer
Gravel for Breakfast

Bikes: Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very graphic story of riding the Tilt-A-Whirl on half-price hot dog day, but I've met with very unenthusiastic response telling it at parties. I won't bother with all the details here.
Old 08-26-05, 01:54 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by konageezer
I have a very graphic story of riding the Tilt-A-Whirl on half-price hot dog day, but I've met with very unenthusiastic response telling it at parties. I won't bother with all the details here.
Half-price hot dogs AND a Tilt-A-Whirl. Sign me right up! And bring the mops.
Old 08-26-05, 02:44 PM
acape

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by konageezer
Haha. Anybody ever seen the movie "The Sandlot"?
Old 08-26-05, 03:21 PM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I don't push myself that hard when I ride...sounds painful. The only time I barf cycling related is when Butch posts and I see his (her?) avatar of Rosie McDonald.

George
Old 08-26-05, 03:46 PM
tanguy frame

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never barf except when I have food poisoning. I ate some bad stuff one hot day (July 28, 2005. I rode 35 miles and just puked my guts out. It was 94 degrees, and I couldn't move. I only got the gatoraid the first time, and I had to stop and puke a few times after that to get to the hard core breakfast sitting down there. While resting in the shade half way home, I was woken up by a bunch of cows licking my ears! (salt?) I continued to ride home, and had to stop 2 more times to barf. Finally, I just called my daughter to come fetch me in the van. I believe I got a case of chiggers from the cow fields and I itch to this day!!!
Otherwise, I never puke.
Old 08-26-05, 06:28 PM
rufus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not cycling, but for those of you into gross stuff, thought you'd apreciate this pic.
Old 08-26-05, 06:32 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost did after running a 10k on a hot day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.