Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

sign-O-bike turn signals

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

sign-O-bike turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 07:20 AM
Dodgensince74

Bikes: "10" Trek 7.3, early 90's Raliegh Dash, late 80's Takara 12spd Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sign-O-bike turn signals

just wondering if any one has tried these? I know we are always looking for a safer way to change lanes or make a turn and was curiuos if it really helped.

https://www.signobike.net/
Old 01-17-13, 08:11 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can't be bad but you just need one drunken bastard or someone on is cell phone to get hit anyway. If it can give you any confidence or peace of mind then why not!
I personally commute on rural road and see very few cars so no real need for me.
Old 01-17-13, 09:08 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
The turn signals would probably be useful in slow moving urban traffic situations where one might want to keep both hands on the bike. Personally, I prefer using Glo Gloves to make my signals, and I've had good results in attracting motorists attention when using them, plus there are no batteries to go dead.
Old 01-17-13, 09:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
"can be seen over 200 feet away"

So for a motorist moving at about 45MPH, they might notice it 3 seconds before they get to you. (moving at 66 feet per second)

And I don't know about your area, but around here, motorists tend to ignore turn signals on cars, much less bikes.
Old 01-17-13, 01:32 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
"

And I don't know about your area, but around here, motorists tend to ignore turn signals on cars, much less bikes.

Not only are turn signals ignored they are rarely used. By my own, informal study, less than 50% of the drivers I counted at one intersection used their signals at all. That being said, this looks like a decent concept for a commuter product. I might try it, but I think colorful waving hands seem to work well also.

Marc
Old 01-17-13, 01:45 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Fred-factor off the chart! And I am pretty freded out with my blinkies & helmet mirror. I prefer to point.
Old 01-17-13, 03:44 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they can't see/understand your hands they won't know/see wtf that is either.
Old 01-17-13, 04:31 PM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What worries me about this product is 1) the EL lighitng. While cool looking, it doesn't project like LEDs do and 2) it appears you have to take your hands OFF your handle bars(NOT an option for me due to balance issues) and hit a, quite possibly, small button on the battery pack(which is not pictured), potentially causing problems.

I use Bicygnals(posted links to a 2(so far) part review I did) because 1) LEDs project light, a HECK of a lot more than EL does and 2) I don't have to take my hands off my handle bars to indicate my intended direction.
Old 01-17-13, 04:35 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
If they can't see/understand your hands they won't know/see wtf that is either.
Dang! Thanks for pointing (no pun intended) that out.
Old 01-17-13, 05:51 PM
Rubato

Bikes: 91 Trek franken '81 Schwinn Voyager

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm convinced that body language is a powerful tool, conscious or not. I use it regularly with my signals; a strong, definate, finger on the end of my arm, pointed precisely at the spot where I'm going to merge, sends a message. It looks interesting and flashing arrows might be good for people not as demanding as I try to be when I ride.
Old 01-17-13, 06:15 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Cute gimmick. Waste of money. Bike signals are a product that gets re-invented & forgot every few years.
Old 01-18-13, 07:59 AM
digitalmouse
the digitalmouse

Bikes: so many to list! https://photos.app.goo.gl/up7vTwjPAsc4UH32A

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think signals can be effective if visible enough to be useful.

I've had pretty good success with Bicygnals on my recumbent cycle-taxi in Copenhagen. Many people have remarked that they appreciated the fact I used turn signals. On a normal bike you can reach out with a thumb to activate a left- or right- turn. On my 'bent the front light is mounted near the feet, so I can just tap it with my toes.

Old 01-18-13, 09:33 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalmouse
I think signals can be effective if visible enough to be useful.

I've had pretty good success with Bicygnals on my recumbent cycle-taxi in Copenhagen. Many people have remarked that they appreciated the fact I used turn signals. On a normal bike you can reach out with a thumb to activate a left- or right- turn. On my 'bent the front light is mounted near the feet, so I can just tap it with my toes.

In slow moving urban traffic, they could be useful, but on faster moving US streets, arterials, I wouldn't consider it since US motorists might confuse it as some form of rear blinkie and may not recognize it as a turn signal until it was too late.
Old 01-18-13, 01:52 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not anything like bright enough. I'm kind of thinking about doing my own turn signals. If I do, there will be at least 20 ultrabright LEDs in each side.

EL is a bad choice for this for a number of reasons. Not nearly bright enough (EL is severely limited in how bright it can get and can never be bright enough for this application) is not directional so you can't aim the stuff, and is not durable.
Old 01-19-13, 12:39 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rubato
I'm convinced that body language is a powerful tool, conscious or not. I use it regularly with my signals; a strong, definate, finger on the end of my arm, pointed precisely at the spot where I'm going to merge, sends a message. It looks interesting and flashing arrows might be good for people not as demanding as I try to be when I ride.
I've found drivers more responsive to hand signals since I made them much brighter, but this does assume the drivers are bright enough to have their lights on.... Of course, more and more cars have automatic lighting, which does help.

Winter Bicycle Commuting Gloves by joshua_putnam, on Flickr
Old 01-19-13, 01:11 PM
digitalmouse
the digitalmouse

Bikes: so many to list! https://photos.app.goo.gl/up7vTwjPAsc4UH32A

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
In slow moving urban traffic, they could be useful, but on faster moving US streets, arterials, I wouldn't consider it since US motorists might confuse it as some form of rear blinkie and may not recognize it as a turn signal until it was too late.
Never had any trouble on faster moving European roads, outside the big cities. The Yellow LEDs are pretty bright even in daytime at a reasonable distance, about as bright as a scooter or motorcycle turn signal system.

If a driver can't make out that it's a turn signal, they probably should not be driving.
Old 01-19-13, 02:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Yea, for a lot of USA and Canadian drivers those lights need to be sequentially blinking in the direction you want to turn, just on and off and amber is not really good enough... I like it, may just get one, especially if you can make the blink sequential.
Old 01-19-13, 06:06 PM
alaskanb3arcub

Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The turn signals do not flash in sequence, but it should be REALLY easy to tell which direction is being indicated(in 2 of the 3 modes). You can either have signal ONLY, Constant solid center(+signals when activated), or a flashing center that turns solid when a signal is triggered.