Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Your preferred saddle height and position on the bike for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 12:52 AM
Stix Zadinia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Wondering about what your preferred height for the saddle is on your commute (lower, same level or higher than the handlebar); what do you look for, leg comfort when you pedal, standing up comfortably with your feet on the ground (when you stop that is); and also your usual posture on the bike when pedaling, do you sit on the saddle all the time or do you stand on your legs and the pedals, do you curl/duck a lot (or not at all), hands-free or not, etc

Looking forward to hearing your preferences!
Old 01-19-13, 02:08 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer to have my handlebars just slightly higher than the saddle. I adjust the saddle height first so my hips don't rock when pedaling and my leg is slightly bent at the knee when my foot is on the very bottom stroke of the pedal. I then adjust the handlebar height for comfort and like I mentioned it generally ends up slightly higher than the saddle. This puts me more upright than slouched over the bars and for commuting this is important to see well around you in traffic etc. I have a large size frame and can't touch the ground while sitting in the saddle, the ground is a long ways away. When I stop, I just slide my butt off the saddle.

I ride mostly in the saddle and also ride standing up when climbing steep grades. I have Ergon grips with bar ends to grab on to when climbing. With this setup, I have recently installed a Ride Out Carbon Comfort seat which is very small in size but racey in looks and can give me all day comfort riding in the saddle. Its important to have a good saddle when commuting upright unlike roadbikes where you more or less just perch up on the saddle vs. sitting on it.
Old 01-19-13, 04:19 PM
whk1992

Bikes: 89' Trek 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I prefer the handle bar being higher than my saddle. Unfortunately, I can't raise my stem further up (it reaches the maximum allowable extension). I can't lower my saddle, either.

I guess that's a restriction of my bike frame.
Old 01-19-13, 04:35 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My saddle top is 74.5 cm from the center of the bottom bracket (5'10" height) which is best for peddling for me. How your feet are on the ground while stopped does not matter!

I prefer a moderate drop to the handlebars, about four inches.

A lot of touring cyclists are set up comfortably with the so-called "French Fit" which has the bars and seat at about the same height, and using a slightly larger frame for more reach.
Old 01-19-13, 04:52 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whk1992
Honestly, I prefer the handle bar being higher than my saddle. Unfortunately, I can't raise my stem further up (it reaches the maximum allowable extension). I can't lower my saddle, either.

I guess that's a restriction of my bike frame.
Here is a stem riser
https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-X-Tra-...eywords=satori
Old 01-19-13, 05:10 PM
digitalmouse
the digitalmouse

Bikes: so many to list! https://photos.app.goo.gl/up7vTwjPAsc4UH32A

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia
Wondering about what your preferred height for the saddle is on your commute
I keep my seat at the default height of 24.5 cm (about 9.6 inches) from the ground, but raised the seat angle to 45 degrees for a better view of the surrounding traffic. Morning commute in Copenhagen is akin to a Spanish "Running of the Bulls" with around 400,000 cyclists converging on the city each day, so good visibility is important for spotting cyclists that like to change lanes without warning. For my long distance tours, I might lower the seat back to 30-35 degrees for more comfort and lengthened the body for better breathing on long climbs.

Handle bars are under the seat, and tilted just a bit forward for comfort and keep the 3.2m tight turning radius at full-lock.

Last edited by digitalmouse; 01-19-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Standard quick check: 'Rules of Thumb' Height :
Leg Straight, with Heel on the Pedal axis.. so it's a slightly bent knee when ball of foot is on the pedal.

saddle setback :
3:00 .. pedal forward, crank horizontal , a plumb line, should fall through pedal axle,
from the front of the Knee cap, patella/.. ball of your foot is above the pedal axle.

Adding :

As I get Older the bars move Up and Closer.

as I am not ambitious, about going fast, and being bent over, any More, to achieve that..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-20-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:26 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I keep the saddle as high as possible without having the feeling of having to rock the hips to pedal. Handlebar height and position are then adjusted accordingly; on my road bike there is about a 1.5 cm drop to the bars.

I used to ride with the saddle too low and learned my lesson in the form of chronic knee pain. Now my knees don't give me much trouble.
Old 01-20-13, 12:46 PM
Drv1913
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My seat is just slightly lower than the handlebars. I could probably stand to raise it higher, but that always makes me feel less stable. The current position is still more or less correct, and I am comfortable and can at least touch the ground with my tip toes while seated if I am wearing flats. (I am usually wearing platforms or heels, so this works even better.) I ride in an upright position and almost never stand on the pedals - even on the steepest hills. I just chug away while seated until it is over and I can coast downhill. Often when I am stopped at a light, I will just stand up completely and stretch my back, hands, and legs, especially toward the end of my commute.
Old 01-20-13, 12:58 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Top of bars 1.5-2" lower than saddle.
Old 01-20-13, 05:53 PM
grantfree035

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even for commuting, I lean towards an Eddy fit. (saddle over bar)
Specifically to allow quick reactions or take aggressive measures against oblivious drivers.
Not to mislead you that i'm rude to drivers; but if a car doesn't notice me, it's my job to haul a** and get out of his/her path of destruction.
Texas roads tend to be 40-45mph, so cars will spring up on you in waves.

I generally keep in the saddle for the whole ride. I try not to stand on the pedals, tends to rock the panniers, unless i'm stretching.
I've always been an advocate of riding hands-free, when you become comfortable with it, you can do a series of stretches for your back, shoulders, and wrists.
Old 01-20-13, 07:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 1,083 Posts
I guess my position is pretty aggressive, but then, I'm a stoplight sprinter (often out of the saddle) and I like to roll fast:

Last edited by chaadster; 01-20-13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 08:29 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalmouse
I keep my seat at the default height of 24.5 cm (about 9.6 inches) from the ground, but raised the seat angle to 45 degrees for a better view of the surrounding traffic.
What do you mean 24.5 cm from the ground, am I misreading something?

I used to tilt the saddle forward at a slight angle, too (front part of the saddle a bit lower than the back) but the salesman who sold me the bike at the shop I got it from once saw that and said I was risking developing a prostate complication (cancer?) by doing that.. is it true??

I've been curious about it (now I use it parallel and I'm used to it like that, but still, it was curious -and somewhat scary- that he mentioned that).

Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
I used to ride with the saddle too low and learned my lesson in the form of chronic knee pain. Now my knees don't give me much trouble.
I was hoping someone would mention this; I too am using the saddle lower that the handlebars, basically so I can lower my feet into the floor more comfortably when I stop (not having to slide in front of the saddle and be accidentally 'molested' by it), but at the expense of my knees, I'm starting to feel some pain (well, more like discomfort) so I plan to raise the saddle enough so that I need to lower my bottoms only slightly before being seated when I'm done pedaling and just keep rolling on the impulse (I often pedal standing up as if I'd be going uphill, even though I'm not haha).
I also plan to get more comfortable pants (I have tight jeans and they make pressure on my legs) and seat more on the saddle.
Old 01-21-13, 06:49 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my handlebars slightly higher than my saddle. My commuting/utility bike has what I believe are called North Road handlebars. Unfortunately, in order to pedal comfortably, my saddle is tall enough that I can't touch the ground with my foot when I'm sitting on it, so I have to do this little vault to mount the bike when I first get going.
Old 01-21-13, 09:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 1,083 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
Unfortunately, in order to pedal comfortably, my saddle is tall enough that I can't touch the ground with my foot when I'm sitting on it...
Old 01-21-13, 09:46 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
My saddle top is 74.5 cm from the center of the bottom bracket (5'10" height) which is best for peddling for me. How your feet are on the ground while stopped does not matter!

I prefer a moderate drop to the handlebars, about four inches.

A lot of touring cyclists are set up comfortably with the so-called "French Fit" which has the bars and seat at about the same height, and using a slightly larger frame for more reach.
You called? My commute bikes are set up differently than sprinting, touring or brevet, the saddle and bars are about even. The reason is safety; I get a better view that way and it feels like I can make faster low speed moves if I need to dodge cars, hazard, etc.. Also, I tend to wearing quasi street clothes, and being rotated down isn't so comfortable in long pants and a belt. True, my saddle is a tad lower on the commuters; all and all it's a more neutral position, I'm not going for speed.

At stops I never stay vertical over the TT, I'm always off the saddle and leaning the bike to the right...so standover is irrelevant on any bike.
Old 01-21-13, 10:44 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
What do you mean 24.5 cm from the ground, am I misreading something?

I used to tilt the saddle forward at a slight angle, too (front part of the saddle a bit lower than the back) but the salesman who sold me the bike at the shop I got it from once saw that and said I was risking developing a prostate complication (cancer?) by doing that.. is it true??

I've been curious about it (now I use it parallel and I'm used to it like that, but still, it was curious -and somewhat scary- that he mentioned that).

I was hoping someone would mention this; I too am using the saddle lower that the handlebars, basically so I can lower my feet into the floor more comfortably when I stop (not having to slide in front of the saddle and be accidentally 'molested' by it), but at the expense of my knees, I'm starting to feel some pain (well, more like discomfort) so I plan to raise the saddle enough so that I need to lower my bottoms only slightly before being seated when I'm done pedaling and just keep rolling on the impulse (I often pedal standing up as if I'd be going uphill, even though I'm not haha).
I also plan to get more comfortable pants (I have tight jeans and they make pressure on my legs) and seat more on the saddle.
He rides a recumbent.

My commuter is set up with the bars pretty much level with the saddle. I use a handlebar with a 45 degree sweep, so I can lean forward and "tuck" in headwinds. This allows me to move between upright and bent over, depending on my preferences. It's nice to have options.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
singular commute rear qtr 1.jpg (103.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 01-21-13, 11:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
Unfortunately, in order to pedal comfortably, my saddle is tall enough that I can't touch the ground with my foot when I'm sitting on it...
the bike designers made a crank forward geometry, a very low angle seat post ,
to accomidate those who were less secure when they could not stop, and put a foot down..

[Rather than, of course, get an Actual recumbent bike ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-21-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-21-13, 11:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7400 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,505 Posts
I like leaning forward pretty heavily, but I reduce that slightly on some of my commuter bikes. Being slightly more upright gives my neck and shoulders some agility to look around. But my "slightly more upright" position is still very bent over for many people.

Generally, I use drop bars for fun or long rides and upright bars for short or city rides. But I've recently started commuting on a Bianchi Volpe which is nominally a cyclo cross bike. It has drop bars, and I feel extremely comfortable on it in traffic. I can't explain why that is. I should take measurements, because the fit seems accidentally better than on any bike I've had.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-21-13, 12:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,582 Posts
Yes, a nose-down saddle will give you cancer.

Stop trying to reach the ground while you're in the saddle! The proper way to set up saddle height is so that your leg is almost straight when your foot is at the bottom of the stroke. When you get ready to stop and put a foot down, get out of the saddle.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-21-13, 12:32 PM
whk1992

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
Thanks for the tip!

My bike has a quill stem and a threaded steerer tube. I don't think I can use that stem riser.

----------------- Edited -----------------------
Opps! The term "stem riser" is new to me, so I ran a quick search on google. turns out that shops do sell quill stem riser. yeah!
Old 01-21-13, 12:55 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Thanks for the tip!

My bike has a quill stem and a threaded steerer tube. I don't think I can use that stem riser.

----------------- Edited -----------------------
Opps! The term "stem riser" is new to me, so I ran a quick search on google. turns out that shops do sell quill stem riser. yeah!
Does your stem project straight forward from the headset, or does it have a rise? There are quill stems on the market that should be able to get you set up.
Out of curiosity, how much exposed seat post do you have on your bike? That's a clue as to whether the frame might be too small or big. It's not the whole story (top tube length/reach is also important), but it's a start.
Old 01-21-13, 01:05 PM
whk1992

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Does your stem project straight forward from the headset, or does it have a rise? There are quill stems on the market that should be able to get you set up.
Out of curiosity, how much exposed seat post do you have on your bike? That's a clue as to whether the frame might be too small or big. It's not the whole story (top tube length/reach is also important), but it's a start.

That photo should be self-explanatory

------------------edit-------------------
It might be hard to estimate from my photo. The seat post extrudes about three times as much as the stem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1030370s.jpg (102.1 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by whk1992; 01-21-13 at 01:08 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-21-13, 01:27 PM
canyoneagle

That photo should be self-explanatory

------------------edit-------------------
It might be hard to estimate from my photo. The seat post extrudes about three times as much as the stem.
Ahh. It's a racing bike, so that's the first thing. You can certainly go with a riser stem, or with a long quill stem (such as the Nitto Technomic), but anything will be a compromise IMO. Your seat post is a bit long (ie frame is a bit small), though not completely out of reason (a common 80's rule of thumb for racers was that the exposed seatpost and head tube should be about the same length).
Old 01-21-13, 01:37 PM
dvald001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Riv method of measuring the PBH minus 11 for the Saddle Height. Used to ride 54cm bikes, but I just built up a 59cm bike and find the fit to much better. Also lets me hide seatpost and stem to just a handful. I like the saddle and bars about equal in height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.