Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Road bikes wear out quicker than mnt bikes? (under same conditions of course)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Road bikes wear out quicker than mnt bikes? (under same conditions of course)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 11:34 AM
jettore

Bikes: 85 Peugeot Canyon Express, 73? Torpado, 85 Trek 400

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the commute you describe and the weather conditions I'd look for something similar to this.
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya
Old 01-31-13, 05:09 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 222 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
I thought we were talking about 'wear'.
I second Acid's point. For me, wear includes normal road riding, as well as daily thrashing, bashing etc. That is on regular basis. Not talking about accidents, just everyday bumps with walls, posts, other bikes packed. So for me, in terms of wear, some crash resistance is a must and I also go for MTB groupset. Doesn't break as easily and a MTB part is usually half the price of a road part (cassette, brakes, not to mention STIs!).

When I was a kid, you could just let your bike drop on a side when stopped and you expected nothing to happen to the bike (except for some scratches). MTBs are a lot closer to that ideal, while road bikes are a lot more sensitive.

I have both a road, a "trekking" (almost like a MTB, with a bit longer tubes and 28" tyres), and a MTB. Both the trekking and MTB have MTB parts and have lived through lots of crashes no problem. Only the road bike has road parts and is used in dry weather for sport and sometimes commuting.

To answer the OP:
Get a good MTB, Acera or better groupset (or equivalent SRAM, whatever you choose), get some tyres with thread like these:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...04;mid=6;pgc=0

Or more aggressive if sand and mud are not too good compacted:

And enjoy!

I have 3 bikes: MTB with fat tyres, hybrid with 37mm tyres and a 23mm road bike. On not good roads, road bike is tiring. I have to watch where I ride (where wheels go), stay standing more often so it ends up being more effort. Also, for commuting, road bike can carry less weight (it is ridiculous to put panniers or rack on the road bike).

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 01-31-13 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 05:31 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I second Acid's point. For me, wear includes normal road riding, as well as daily thrashing, bashing etc. That is on regular basis. Not talking about accidents, just everyday bumps with walls, posts, other bikes packed. So for me, in terms of wear, some crash resistance is a must and I also go for MTB groupset. Doesn't break as easily and a MTB part is usually half the price of a road part (cassette, brakes, not to mention STIs!).

When I was a kid, you could just let your bike drop on a side when stopped and you expected nothing to happen to the bike (except for some scratches). MTBs are a lot closer to that ideal, while road bikes are a lot more sensitive.

I have both a road, a "trekking" (almost like a MTB, with a bit longer tubes and 28" tyres), and a MTB. Both the trekking and MTB have MTB parts and have lived through lots of crashes no problem. Only the road bike has road parts and is used in dry weather for sport and sometimes commuting.

To answer the OP:
Get a good MTB, Acera or better groupset (or equivalent SRAM, whatever you choose), get some tyres with thread like these:

Or more aggressive if sand and mud are not too good compacted:

And enjoy!

I have 3 bikes: MTB with fat tyres, hybrid with 37mm tyres and a 23mm road bike. On not good roads, road bike is tiring. I have to watch where I ride (where wheels go), stay standing more often so it ends up being more effort. Also, for commuting, road bike can carry less weight (it is ridiculous to put panniers or rack on the road bike).
+1

over here, for daily commuting a city bike is relatively ideal with the following specs:

IGH
integrated fenders
integrated rack
integrated chainguard
dynamo
integrated front/rear lights
no drops (get caught on stuff)
perhaps a city front-suspension with lock out
rear wheel guards (so straps don't go into spokes)
front rear drum brakes
Schwalbe Marathons

this is for several reasons:

1. bikes get left outside year round (the ice just melted and people are using the bikes left in the ice again). in fact, most rental bikes don't ever get put away, they stay outside in the weather year round.
2. minimal maintenance. (besides a flat tube, what's going to break on these bikes?)

I can understand if people want don't want a heavy bike, in that case a nice trekking/expedition bike would be the next best choice.

Also, I guess in America with it's significantly limited cycling infrastructure, car and bikes share the same space, so a "road" bike/rennrad makes more sense, as ridiculous as it sounds.
Old 01-31-13, 09:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
Also, for commuting, road bike can carry less weight (it is ridiculous to put panniers or rack on the road bike).
I agree with much of what you said except this last thing. It depends on the road bike. Or, perhaps, on what definition of 'road' bike you accept. I consider this to be a road bike

And I don't consider putting panniers or racks on it to be ridiculous at all. It even does an admirable job of handling dirt. It's done two loaded trips down the Katy Trail (+200 miles)

and several dirt road short cuts while on various tours. I'd not use it for mountain biking...I have dedicated mountain bikes for that...but it could handle sand, mud or grit that my mountain bikes can handle.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-31-13, 03:24 PM
Booger1

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
My road bike(ex-touring bike) is 35 years young with 100,000's of miles on it.....no need for another yet.

It will keep up with the latest and greatest......if it had a better engine....
Old 01-31-13, 03:30 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Just my opinion of course - and it would probably help a bit if the bike was red anyway
Yeah, but the cops are more likely to pull you over when you're taking the little red thing out for a spin...
Old 01-31-13, 03:32 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree with much of what you said except this last thing. It depends on the road bike. Or, perhaps, on what definition of 'road' bike you accept. I consider this to be a road bike

And I don't consider putting panniers or racks on it to be ridiculous at all. It even does an admirable job of handling dirt. It's done two loaded trips down the Katy Trail (+200 miles)

and several dirt road short cuts while on various tours. I'd not use it for mountain biking...I have dedicated mountain bikes for that...but it could handle sand, mud or grit that my mountain bikes can handle.
I love your bike there cyco. Is that a mtb frame with drops? Are those 700c wheels or 26? It kind on looks like one because of the long cage derailer.
Old 01-31-13, 03:49 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by droy45
I love your bike there cyco. Is that a mtb frame with drops? Are those 700c wheels or 26? It kind on looks like one because of the long cage derailer.
Nope. It's a Cannondale T800...the finest touring bike ever made.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-31-13, 03:57 PM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy smokes, look at the melons on that!
Old 01-31-13, 06:07 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Chain is a wipperman chain which I lube (with wax) every 500 miles, and they last ~5000 miles each.
because you live in san jose, kalifornica.
Old 01-31-13, 06:11 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
If you haven't already done so, try some 35-40mm tires (tyres) with a "city" or "semi-slick" tread at appropriate pressure. These will roll better than the knobby tread tires that most mountain bikes have, and may provide the benefit you are seeking without having to spend too much money.
Old 01-31-13, 11:56 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 222 Times in 134 Posts
You are right, it depends on the definition. Guess my definition of a road bike would be more like a race bike. Round here most road bikes I see would need more spokes, stronger wheels and fatter tyres in order to take up some load apart the rider. I keep my road bike light for sport. Fenders, panniers, racks etc. would make it a heavy commuter, not much quicker than the hybrid I already have, just more expensive.

Your bike setup looks VERY nice indeed. Cool.
Old 02-01-13, 12:17 AM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
... Aside from that, steel frames basically don't wear out. They can get damaged, of course, but they don't weaken over time. I have had aluminum frames fail after a few years of use; it appears the metal fatigued eventually. I don't know about carbon.
I've had several steel frames wear out, if joint failure counts as wearing out. Two touring bikes had chain stays cease to connect to the seat tubes, one touring bike had the seat tube lose contact with the bottom bracket and a tandem also had the stoker seat tube/bottom bracket junction fail. Being steel, all of them were repairable, so maybe that doesn't count.

The mileage range to failure varied from just a couple thousand miles (but it was a thirty year old bike that got built up for the first time just months before it broke) to 250,000 miles. Oddly, the fastest breaking bike and the longest lasting bike were the identical make, model and year.
Old 02-01-13, 07:15 AM
haphaeu

Bikes: n-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hei! Quite a lot of good stuff here. Thanks!

By the way, I live in Stavanger, SW cost of Norway. Medium size city, good cycling paths, lots of them are sand/gravel, and it's safe to just cycle on the road with the cars if you prefer. Partially hilly. Rainy, very rainy. And, there's plenty of parking place for bikes here, you can choose, so I'm not worried about parts of the bike getting entangled with other bikes So by wear I meant dust, sand, whatever solid particles which come with water and get stuck in the parts of the bike, causing surface damage in the moving parts, corrosion, clogs, etc.

I kind of like the idea of a real commuting bike, but they're heavy, 12-15kg. I really wanted to reduce the weight being carried every day.

The bike I have today is a mid-low end 20kg full damper downhill mnt bike (I won this bike, so, can't complain). It's no good for commuting - except if you want extra work out! I plan to keep it, for when it snows a lot, or when it's really muddy after some days of rain. The road bike would be more for taking the road with the cars, or taking the sand path when it's more or less dry.

It's a good point that lighter bikes would tend to last less, because the components are designed for performance, not for endurance. But I'd be happy with something like 5+ years, and as I understood from some good comments in the thread, this would be achieved easily with basic maintenance. As I said before, I had very little expericene with road bikes, and my initial impression would be that they would fall apart after 1-2 years of every-day commuting [ab]use. I can see this is wrong
Old 02-01-13, 07:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

i really enjoyed Preikestolen.

i only know swedish so "lycka till!"
Old 02-01-13, 07:48 AM
Dwayne
Rocketship Underpants

Bikes: '94 RS Bikes Stampede (commuter), Scattante XRL Team road bike (formerly '05 Cannondale R5000), '05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by haphaeu
HThe bike I have today is a mid-low end 20kg full damper downhill mnt bike (I won this bike, so, can't complain). It's no good for commuting - except if you want extra work out! I plan to keep it, for when it snows a lot, or when it's really muddy after some days of rain. The road bike would be more for taking the road with the cars, or taking the sand path when it's more or less dry.

It's a good point that lighter bikes would tend to last less, because the components are designed for performance, not for endurance. But I'd be happy with something like 5+ years, and as I understood from some good comments in the thread, this would be achieved easily with basic maintenance. As I said before, I had very little expericene with road bikes, and my initial impression would be that they would fall apart after 1-2 years of every-day commuting [ab]use. I can see this is wrong
Actually, in your example both a road bike or rigid MTB would last longer. Your full suspension MTB frame has bearings and/or bushings in the suspension linkage that will wear out and require maintenance, and the seals in the shock and fork will require servicing at some point.

I consider cyccommute's bike a touring bike, not a road bike, that's just the way I'm used to thinking of things though. A road bike to me is designed for low weight, efficiency (at the expensive of comfort), and going fast (again at the expensive of comfort). For commuting I would recommend either a touring bike or a hardtail MTB with commuter slicks (rigid fork is fine, one less thing to maintain) depending on your preference. I prefer flat bars with MTB brake levers because I don't feel like a drop bar brake is as easy to reach, just my style. Both will last a long time with simple maintenance.
Old 02-01-13, 07:56 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by haphaeu
Hei! Quite a lot of good stuff here. Thanks!

By the way, I live in Stavanger, SW cost of Norway. Medium size city, good cycling paths, lots of them are sand/gravel, and it's safe to just cycle on the road with the cars if you prefer. Partially hilly. Rainy, very rainy. And, there's plenty of parking place for bikes here, you can choose, so I'm not worried about parts of the bike getting entangled with other bikes So by wear I meant dust, sand, whatever solid particles which come with water and get stuck in the parts of the bike, causing surface damage in the moving parts, corrosion, clogs, etc.

I kind of like the idea of a real commuting bike, but they're heavy, 12-15kg. I really wanted to reduce the weight being carried every day.

The bike I have today is a mid-low end 20kg full damper downhill mnt bike (I won this bike, so, can't complain). It's no good for commuting - except if you want extra work out! I plan to keep it, for when it snows a lot, or when it's really muddy after some days of rain. The road bike would be more for taking the road with the cars, or taking the sand path when it's more or less dry.

A commuting bike can be anything you like. I commute on anything from a ultralight go-fast titanium road bike...like Slaninar was talking about...to a dual suspension mountain bike. But a bike for commuting doesn't have to weigh a ton. It all depends on how you set them up. None of my bikes break 13 kg (30lb) and only a couple flirt with 12 kg (27 lb). I'm not worried about the bikes being fragile either.

For you situation, I'd suggest looking at a touring bike or a cyclocross bike with 32mm tires. Go as light as you want and can afford. Both will handle the dirt well and neither will be delicate.

Old 02-01-13, 09:10 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Course now that you've brought lots of rain into the picture - I'd caution you to be very sure you can actually fit full fenders on any road bike that interests you. Some you can, some you can with difficulty and some you just can't.

A hybrid or hard tail mtb is a lot easier in that respect, and if you're going to stick a rack and panniers on it or haul around a heavy U-lock ..... any weight advantage of a road bike is incidental.
Old 02-01-13, 09:49 AM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's reasonable to assume mtb frame are built sturdier than road bikes? If you bunny hop, go on/off curbs, ride on uneven surfaces then get a mtb. 8km is not that long, you'd do fine with both.

Note: sand will affect you bb life like no other. doesn't matter what bike you get.
Old 02-01-13, 10:20 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Dwayne
I consider cyccommute's bike a touring bike, not a road bike, that's just the way I'm used to thinking of things though. A road bike to me is designed for low weight, efficiency (at the expensive of comfort), and going fast (again at the expensive of comfort). For commuting I would recommend either a touring bike or a hardtail MTB with commuter slicks (rigid fork is fine, one less thing to maintain) depending on your preference. I prefer flat bars with MTB brake levers because I don't feel like a drop bar brake is as easy to reach, just my style. Both will last a long time with simple maintenance.
I've had this discussion with others and I think you are making too many distinctions. A mountain bike is clearly different from a road bike but a touring bike falls into the road bike category as do cyclocross. They (usually) look like road bikes, they have narrower tires for efficiency and many have drop bars. Take the bags and racks off and look at them from 100 paces. You really couldn't tell a difference between my touring bike and a road bike.

Old 02-03-13, 04:28 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
acidfast opined:

IGH
heavy, slow, and make flat repair a pain. in europe where people use their bikes for brief trips an IGH might make sense. in the usa many of us actually use our bikes for longer distance transportation, not just quick jaunts.

integrated fenders
i prefer to remove fenders when they are not necessary (e.g. ~6 months out of the year).

integrated rack
my heavy piece of crap shopping bike has an integrated rack. my commuters are designed for speed and climbing, not putzing along for a mile or two.

integrated chainguard
how hard is it to roll up your pants or buy a clip/strap?

dynamo
integrated front/rear lights
$100 buys a 60 lumen tail light and a 420 lumen head light than can be moved from bike to bike.

no drops (get caught on stuff)
what stuff? seriously i have never been "caught" in the drops on my road bike.

perhaps a city front-suspension with lock out
unless you are popping curbs this is, imo, useless extra weight.

rear wheel guards (so straps don't go into spokes)
what straps? sandals? panniers?

front rear drum brakes
pathetic stopping power. imo, drum brakes are a terrible decision.

Schwalbe Marathons
heavy and handle poorly on wet pavement.

1. bikes get left outside year round (the ice just melted and people are using the bikes left in the ice again). in fact, most rental bikes don't ever get put away, they stay outside in the weather year round.
i guess when the average european bike trip is only 1-2 miles you don't care much about damage or theft because you can always walk.

minimal maintenance. (besides a flat tube, what's going to break on these bikes?)
cables, chain wear, igh, chain case/crank, brake pads etc.

I can understand if people want don't want a heavy bike, in that case a nice trekking/expedition bike would be the next best choice.
commuting 10 miles on asphalt requires an expedition bike? hmmm...

Also, I guess in America with it's significantly limited cycling infrastructure, car and bikes share the same space, so a "road" bike/rennrad makes more sense, as ridiculous as it sounds.
pdx has about the same mode share as frankfurt. i wonder why i hardly ever see someone on the 50 lb hunks of steel you favor.
Old 02-04-13, 03:16 AM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Bearings need to be cleaned - regardless of what kind of bike they're on.
Sealed bearings will go longer without maintenaince than open bearings - regardless of what kind of bike they're on.
Skinny tires tend to wear out faster than wider tires - regardless of what kind of bike they're on.

The commute should be fun - regardless of what kind of bike you're on.

Just my opinion of course - and it would probably help a bit if the bike was red anyway
Red is full of win.
Old 02-04-13, 03:36 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
ignorant opinion snipped...

me vs. you:

i'll deliver the mail and finish the "commute" before you.
Old 02-04-13, 01:29 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
acidfast7, my favorite commuter is a european city bike sold by a basque cooperative.

looks like this except with a compact and hydros:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/att..._diemblack.jpg
Attached Images
Old 02-04-13, 02:02 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I second Acid's point. For me, wear includes normal road riding, as well as daily thrashing, bashing etc. ...
...I wasn't talking about you...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.