Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Urban Cycling Shoes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Urban Cycling Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 05:59 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keen Austin...anybody?
Old 02-19-13, 07:21 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
afaik, DZR shoes come in two varieties - the ones with the nylon/metal plate have a stiffer sole than the other one (nylon only) which have "variable flex shank".

I don't own a pair although I've wanted one for a while, until my fellow commuter in the office bought one.

I have Shimano commuter/MTB shoes with Candys, and nicer stiffer Specialized MTB shoes for longer rides. Fairly cheap and Candys are <300g. I did order some Chromes yesterdays though, we'll see how they go.

This page has some options, although some of the shoes there aren't available anymore.
https://antranik.org/the-practical-gu...lipless-shoes/
Old 02-19-13, 07:41 AM
Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
XTR or bust
Old 02-19-13, 08:32 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil
Keen Austin...anybody?
Jerseyjim just ordered a pair from Amazon. He said that he would report back when he gets them in....standby.
Old 02-19-13, 01:11 PM
Nuggetross

Bikes: De Rosa Planet, Shogun Kaze, Jamis Sputnik, Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
want a relatively inexpensive, light, spd-compatible pedal? exustar pm-215 is your answer. 280 grams for the pair. $50-$70. if you want to get fancy, you can even get a ti spindle.

i can personally vouch for them. i have used two iterations of this pedal for 2+ years.
Old 02-19-13, 03:45 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Keen Austin...anybody?
I want my feet to stay in my shoes.
Old 02-19-13, 03:55 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keen Austin...anybody?
I use the Austins when it is cold or I need a nicer shoe at my destnation. The longest ride i've done with them is probably 40 miles, I have no problems walking all day in them and the cleats ( SPD ) only hit on rough surfaces.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 02-19-13, 03:56 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bat56
???
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 02-20-13, 08:29 AM
Mr Yum Yums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rock the Chrome line up. Kursk for my commuter shoes and just bought the Lower SS for my new build with Eggbeaters. So far I'm happy but get them on sale, I think they are a lil' bit overpriced, just me.
Old 02-21-13, 03:58 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseyJim
I just ordered a pair of these Keen Austins for $90 off of Amazon and I should get them next week.

I chose these 'cause I have a pair of Keen hiking shoes and if they are even half as good as those I'll be thrilled. I'll report back when they come in and I get a chance to ride and walk in them a bit.

These came in today and I put some cleats on them and went for a ride. Nice shoe. Comfortable. I order a half size up because my feet are a little wide and I probably didn't have to do that with these shoes. They are nice and wide and roomy. They are stiffer than a regular shoe but not as stiff as my spec mountain shoes so nice compromise there. They feel good to walk in and the cleats don't hit my wood floors.

It's cold here today so I only did a 5 mile spin but the shoes clipped into my shimano 520s easily. The cleat is recessed quite a bit and I could see that it might be difficult to clip into a road pedal. They also clipped in easily to my shimano flip flops. They felt plenty stiff. I didn't ride long enough to see if I would get a hot spot. I only wore a light biking sock and my feet were plenty warm even though it was around 30 degrees and windy. I wonder how hot they are gonna be in the summer.

I like em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71dvG1dVJjL__SL1500_.jpg (77.2 KB, 7 views)
71nUurf52ZL__SL1500_.jpg (80.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jerseyJim; 02-21-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 07:43 PM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
Originally Posted by bhchdh
???
When I am pulling hard on the pedals I want something more than cotton strings holding the works in place.
Old 02-22-13, 05:48 PM
Crazyed..27
I Biked Today

Bikes: 1998 Lemond Zurich, Redline Conquest Pro, Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...FaI-MgodI0AAHQ
Attached Images
98490_i_1.jpg (45.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-24-13, 12:10 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just scored some Keen Austin's on the net from Sierra Trading post for under 60 clams! Took a little searching to find the deal but I jumped on it when I did. I'll post a review also.
Old 02-24-13, 03:18 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just scored some Keen Austin's on the net from Sierra Trading post for under 60 clams! Took a little searching to find the deal but I jumped on it when I did. I'll post a review also.
Nice Deal! I saw those but they didn't have my size. I just did a 15 mile ride to the market and back with my trailer. Comfy and very warm. These are definitely not for the summer.
Old 02-24-13, 05:40 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jerseyJim
Nice Deal! I saw those but they didn't have my size. I just did a 15 mile ride to the market and back with my trailer. Comfy and very warm. These are definitely not for the summer.
I'll probably spring for some of their sandals come that time. Never a shortage of gear to spend money on don't ya know.
Old 03-01-13, 08:18 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Keen Austin's came in. Having a hard time getting clipped in with them. Is it because the cleats are so far recessed maybe?

Anybody else had the same problem with this style?
Old 03-01-13, 08:26 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Might be having tread interference?
Old 03-01-13, 08:30 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It would also help to know what pedals you have.
Old 03-01-13, 08:36 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
It would also help to know what pedals you have.
pedals and cleats that have worked with other shoes.
Old 03-01-13, 08:38 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
...that means nothing.
Old 03-02-13, 07:51 AM
Bat56

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
...that means nothing.
No, but it is funny.
Old 03-02-13, 07:57 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
...that means nothing.
Are you kidding? I have cleats that work with a particular pedal. I put those cleats on the shoe and expect them to work with the same pedal.

...and apparently bat is easily entertained...not to mention maybe a bit dim.

Last edited by daredevil; 03-02-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 08:01 AM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FixedDriveJess
What's the deal with these? They seem like the perfect solution for me, but I'm worried about them not being comfy to walk in. Are they decent cycling shoes? Right now I ride clipped and strapped.

https://www.dzrshoes.com/midnight
i havent read all the replies but thats because im busy doing my thing but i figured id chime in a bit.

if you want a walkable clipless shoe look at specialized or or mavic cyclo or something with a recessed cleat and full tread not like a mtb shoe, if you want walkable look at a touring shoe.
i wear/use specialized touring elites and love them, they are stiff with two double straps and one ratchet at the top. I had a flat once with no spare so i walked 8 miles in them. "no friends or peoples to pick me up". My feet didnt hurt. Dont mean that to sound like walking up hill both ways bs, it just was a bad situation also when i get off work "in a kitchen and i wear kitchen shoes desighed for you to be on your feet for hours" i cant wait to step into my clipless.

your best bet is to go into multiple shops and try on different brands. FIND WHAT FITS.

But without trying to sound like a shill, I tried on specialized road shoes and the tourings.. they both fit amazing. I also have love for their saddles...

Last edited by GENESTARWIND; 03-02-13 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 08:11 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I have cleats that work with a particular pedal. I put those cleats on the shoe and expect them to work with the same pedal.
Not necessarily. As you've already said, the cleat could be more recessed into the sole of your new shoes, making them engage differently. Is the shoe no longer a factor?

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 03-02-13 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 08:12 AM
jerseyJim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Keen Austin's came in. Having a hard time getting clipped in with them. Is it because the cleats are so far recessed maybe?

Anybody else had the same problem with this style?
I have bikes with these pedals...

They both work fine with the Keens.
Attached Images
thCACX17Q3.jpg (3.5 KB, 4 views)
51pfw+LsXEL__AA300_.jpg (18.6 KB, 4 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.