Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike won't ride straight?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike won't ride straight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 07:24 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Well, egg on my face - I totally missed the left or right issue. Apparently I've been trying to wedge in posts when I don't really have the time. My apologies!
Old 03-01-13, 08:41 AM
FMB42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd too would start by checking the headset. A loose or over-tightened HS can, most definitely, cause the "left - right" pulling you describe.

Also make sure that the both the upper and lower HS bearings have the correct number of ball bearings. Just one missing HS ball bearing can cause exactly what you're experiencing.

Last edited by FMB42; 03-01-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-01-13, 08:47 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkwood
Right, I'll try explaining this as best I can...

I recently picked up this 1935 Raleigh: The tyres and tubes were perished beyond all reasoning, so I eventually replaced them. On first riding the bike, I noticed that I had to fight to keep the bike straight. On every turn of the crank the bike seemed to want to veer either left or right, putting a lot of strain on my arms and making it impossible to signal without crashing. I assumed it was the front wheel, and have replaced this. The problem still exists, and I can't seem to see any buckle in the rear wheel. The BB has started creaking too, but I'm not sure if that's related. Any thoughts?
OP; Well yes! You are attempting to ride a zillion year old barn find without first doing a full servicing and maintenance check...wow, you are a brave one!

Recommendation: Slip over to the C&V forum and sell the bike there. Take the proceeds and buy a new or used modern bike that can be ridden without much knowledge, care or attention. Apologies in advance, but your post is dumbfounding!
Old 03-01-13, 10:05 AM
tjkwood

Bikes: 1935 Raleigh Sports (road), 1935 Raleigh Sports (town), 1950 Planet Pintail, Raleigh Chopper Mk2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
OP; Well yes! You are attempting to ride a zillion year old barn find without first doing a full servicing and maintenance check...wow, you are a brave one!

Recommendation: Slip over to the C&V forum and sell the bike there. Take the proceeds and buy a new or used modern bike that can be ridden without much knowledge, care or attention. Apologies in advance, but your post is dumbfounding!
That seems a little harsh imho. I understand fully the need to service such an old bike before regular use, but I've only been riding it so as to determine what work I need to do on it - I'm not trying to tour on it! I'm currently living away from home and do not have access to my usual workshop space and tools, and the reason I'm asking for advice is so I can undertake the work when I get home in a week's time.

I've given the bike the best service I can at the moment, and I would rather learn than be told to give up! Everyone has been really helpful here and, after all, we all have to start somewhere. Thanks for the concern, but I'm happy as I am.
Old 03-01-13, 12:45 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
If your bike was in front of me I could probably diagnose the problem and address whatever is causing the steering issues as long as the main frame is not twisted... because it is what I do.

What we do know is that the geometry has been altered through accident or intent and references to your bike's model do show that the curve of the forks seems correct for that period although there are difference between models depending on the set up of the bicycle and the desired handling characteristics.

These Raleighs were sold as both uprights and club styled bicycles with the Raleigh "Special" bars and what works for an upright cruiser does not work for a bicycle where you are riding in a more forward position.

This is a Raleigh Sports that was originally sold as a drop bar model, note the different curvature of the forks.

This bike had a little pull to the left which was only noticeable when you tried to ride no handed and not tiring under normal riding and when I investigated it was because the fork was improperly aligned. It looks like it may have been an error at the factory due to the brazing work at the crown not being symmetrical.

Raleighs workmanship is generally quite good but there are many examples where things were not quite as they should be... back in the old days there was a bike shop and frame builders on nearly every block and more people who were competent in making adjustments to frames that did not leave the factory as they should have been.

There are a lot of people out there who can fix your bicycle and do the basic mechanical work, but fewer that have the skills, experience, and tools to address frame issues. Like ksisler their solution is for a person to go and buy a new bicycle which isn't always the right solution as pre-war Raleighs just don't grow on trees.
Old 03-01-13, 02:00 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
It's the Coriolis effect. Take it to the Southern hemisphere and see if it pulls the other way.
Awesome poke. Nicely done /K
Old 03-01-13, 02:21 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That seems a little harsh imho. I understand fully the need to service such an old bike before regular use, but I've only been riding it so as to determine what work I need to do on it - I'm not trying to tour on it! I'm currently living away from home and do not have access to my usual workshop space and tools, and the reason I'm asking for advice is so I can undertake the work when I get home in a week's time.

I've given the bike the best service I can at the moment, and I would rather learn than be told to give up! Everyone has been really helpful here and, after all, we all have to start somewhere. Thanks for the concern, but I'm happy as I am.
OP - Actually I was attempting with some effort to be supportive and kind in providing you the thoughts you asked for. I felt you needed some honest feedback; mostly to help you avoid injuring yourself and to also avoid damaging a relic bike which is not commonly found these days.

If needed, I am sure that someone here will be able to help you source and install a new bottom bracket and probably a new headset if those parts get ruined during your test rides.

/K
Old 03-02-13, 03:25 AM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Umm, just judging by what I see in the photo and nothing else, I wonder about two things:
1 - is the front wheel the same size as the rear? Could the rear be a 28 and the front a 26?
2 - Is there any air in the tyres?

From experience with my own '39er, is the rear wheel firmly attached and not slipping forward? I had a heck of a time with mine, even using the old tugnuts (it didn't help that one of the nuts was stripped).
Replacement axle nuts for old raleighs are easy to find, even today. I've been told that the Raleigh axle nuts were designed to strip rather than damage the threads of the axle.
And is the rear hub bearing play set correctly, without wobble?

Good luck!

Last edited by randomgear; 03-02-13 at 03:27 AM. Reason: clarification abut the rar hub play
Old 03-02-13, 07:36 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 479 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but is the headset tight? does it move freely from side to side? I had a headset that was binding from sand in the lower bearing and the bike required constant correction because the headset was keeping the front from self centering. You don't realize how the fork turns slightly each way with each pedal stroke until something keeps it from naturally coming back to center and you have to correct it each time. It's not fun to ride a bike in that condition.
Old 03-03-13, 01:50 PM
tjkwood

Bikes: 1935 Raleigh Sports (road), 1935 Raleigh Sports (town), 1950 Planet Pintail, Raleigh Chopper Mk2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. The problem seems to lie either in the headset or the forks. THe former shall be looked at next week when I get home, and hopefully that'll be the end of it. If not, I've found a donor bike from the same period that has forks that may work:

The wheels do seem secure and true, so I'll start investigating from the front backwards! I'll update when progress has been made
Attached Images
Old 03-03-13, 01:58 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randomgear
Umm, just judging by what I see in the photo and nothing else, I wonder about two things:
1 - is the front wheel the same size as the rear? Could the rear be a 28 and the front a 26?
I looked at the picture again, attempting to scale the wheels on my monitor. It may be the camera angle, but it looks like the front wheel is a bit smaller than the rear. A lot of changes can happen to a bike in all of those years.

-G
Old 03-04-13, 12:04 PM
tjkwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
I looked at the picture again, attempting to scale the wheels on my monitor. It may be the camera angle, but it looks like the front wheel is a bit smaller than the rear. A lot of changes can happen to a bike in all of those years.

-G
The wheels are both the same size - 26 x 1 1/4. But you're right, something is certainly amiss up front. Thanks for replying
Old 03-04-13, 12:21 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I'm leaning heavily towards someone doing a fork swap a long long time ago. that fork has an extreme rake, and that frame has a fairly steep head tube, the combination likely is giving this bike a negative trail, which makes it inherently unstable. I don't think that handlebar configuration was original, either, someone got 'clever' and flipped the bars over.

of course, thats assuming the headset is free of slop and moves smoothly, if the headset is fubar, all bets are off.
Old 03-04-13, 01:28 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While the front does look squashed down, photos can be deceiving, regarding the fork from the photos in this blog it appears to be OEM. https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1936-ra...ecord-ace-rra/ What is different however is the stem. The OEM stem had practically zero forward length while the OP's looks to be 80-90mm; combine that with a loose headset and it could make the front end very unstable..my 2¢..
Old 03-04-13, 02:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4235 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,356 Posts
This is not the solution to the OP's question but one example as to how this type of issue can be addressed.

Two weeks ago a customer (at the shop i work for) called about his Craig's List late 1960s Schwinn 3-spd pulling to one side while riding. He brought it in. We did a quick on the spot look at and did note a couple of concerns (very loose TCW rear hub, tight & squeaking headset and ft wheel off center at top of blades). We had the usual discussion about the many factors that contribute to a bike riding straight and how the steps of increasing cost of analyse and possible correction can go. The customer and I agreed to do an initial wheel base lining with a frame alignment check using the "quick in shop" methods. This was quoted at $50. We were to call him with our findings and a rather open ended time line was allowed for. Later that week I had a chance to get into the bike in depth. The wheels were not too far off dish and true but their age and localized dents made the corrections/truing an AGAP one. Ft hub was very tight and the rear was adjusted as tight as the TCW could be without significant binding. So some improvements but no smoking gun as to the steering pull. Pulled off the fenders and the fork was pretty close to vertically in line, no twist but a slight blade length discrepancy. The rear triangle was off to one side by about 1/2". Now we were finding a likely cause of the pull. Here's where some might have done differently then I did. I knew that the rear triangle alignment correction would only be another 10-20 minutes at most, given that everything was off the frame that was needed and that the frame was made of thick but low strength tubing. So i went ahead with the straightening, getting the rear end to be about 1/16" to center. Aligned the drop outs while I had access. Put all back together (had a bit of challenge with the TCW hub , free spinning VS looseness and the shift adjustment is less forgiving then an AW). The frt wheel was tightened in place so that the rim was better centered then the drop out/blade lengths would have had it. Test rode the bike and found no significant pulling while no handed. Added $15 to the estimated bill and called the customer. Today he calls back after riding the bike and said it is much better. Some of this service success is because we had a good understanding with the customer and he had faith in out judgments. Some of the success is that we found the part of the problem that could be easily improved without much extra cost.

So the OP's problem needs an experienced look at and the understanding with that mechanic as to where the lines of judgment and acceptability of added cost are. Andy.
Old 03-04-13, 03:15 PM
tjkwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
I'm leaning heavily towards someone doing a fork swap a long long time ago. that fork has an extreme rake, and that frame has a fairly steep head tube, the combination likely is giving this bike a negative trail, which makes it inherently unstable. I don't think that handlebar configuration was original, either, someone got 'clever' and flipped the bars over.

of course, thats assuming the headset is free of slop and moves smoothly, if the headset is fubar, all bets are off.
The bars seem to be original - they're Lauterwassers and not flipped North Roads. The headset is a bit loose so I'm going to start there.

Last edited by tjkwood; 03-04-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 03:17 PM
tjkwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
While the front does look squashed down, photos can be deceiving, regarding the fork from the photos in this blog it appears to be OEM. https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1936-ra...ecord-ace-rra/ What is different however is the stem. The OEM stem had practically zero forward length while the OP's looks to be 80-90mm; combine that with a loose headset and it could make the front end very unstable..my 2¢..
You say that, but look at this Golden Arrow catalogue:

The stem has the same forward length. I will try out a different stem to see if that helps, and I also have some period forks on the way (hopefully...) that I'll try out as well. Here's hoping!
Old 03-04-13, 04:06 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just given the bike a good once-over, and two points have arisen:

1) There is some play where the forks meet the bottom of the head tube
2) The top tube does have a noticeable downwards slope towards the front of the bike

I'm tempted to blame the forks now... finding a replacement should be fun
The downward slope of the fork sounds bad, but any movement "where the forks meet the bottom of the head tube" will cause the front end to be unsteady. Regardless of the cause, your going to want to rebuild the headset anyway; it may not fix the problem but it will most assuredly make it better.
Old 03-04-13, 04:23 PM
tjkwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
The downward slope of the fork sounds bad, but any movement "where the forks meet the bottom of the head tube" will cause the front end to be unsteady. Regardless of the cause, your going to want to rebuild the headset anyway; it may not fix the problem but it will most assuredly make it better.
You're right - bearings have been ordered just this minute
Old 11-08-13, 04:56 PM
aussiemusicman

Bikes: Rudge Whitworth c.'35, Royal Enfield/Norman Cycles c.'44, Dayton Roadmaster '48 Amalgam, Dayton Roadmaster '51 Amalgam, Mercian 531Superlight '63, Cougar 753 '82, SunWasp tandem 531 '52, Manufrance Hirondelle '79, Claude Butler 531 mixte '80

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you get to the bottom of the problem?