Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a true 'rat rod' style road bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone have a true 'rat rod' style road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 06:51 AM
dveneman

Bikes: 1980 Gios Torino Super Record, 1989 Bridgestone RB2, 1985 Trek 520 Touring Rig, 1983 Trek 720, 1985 Guerciotti Sprint, Panasonic DX5000, Miyata 916, 1989 Bridgestone MB2, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, Miyata Ridge Runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
I think we have a winner.
Yes , this is the only one that works so far. Think patina on steroids. Oxidized paint, burnished rust areas, weathered components, original parts that have been time worn. I think its much easier to get with a fat fender bike since there is much more fitting style with form and surface area to convey that look. It's just not easy with a small frame alone. At least not without really good closer photos. In fact it is not an easy look to get at all.
Old 03-20-13, 07:20 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 537 Posts
This is a typical delivery bike here in Cambodia

This is more of the same

Not a true rat rod but she was cute.
Old 03-20-13, 07:32 AM
qd-s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jjvw
I think there is a semantic problem with what "rat rod" really means. I don't have an answer, but I usually picture a deliberate mish-mash of beat up, rusty parts that are cobbled together into something resembling a car (or bike). The look of this contraption is based on 1950's hot rod culture that has been left out in the desert for 30-40 years before being rediscovered by the overly nostalgic punk rock/ rock-a-billy/steam punk scenesters. If you can't find the actual post-war/atomic era source material, you end up making the Disneyland version by adding artifice and faux finishing and flames and more flames and more angry frames (i'm tired of flames on everything). Dont forget the flat black, red and white color scheme to compliment the rust.

This is very different from finding a car or bike from "the era" that has been used, maybe abused, repaired, maintained and upgraded over its life. Its the difference between authentic honest wear and artifice. Its the difference between a "rat rod" and an old bike that has been reused and repurposed.

That being said, very little of what I have seen on these forums described as a rat rod is really a rat rod. I suspect that a rat rod bike is difficult to achieve because the canvas is so small compared to the rusty body panels that can be hung off of an old car. This might be why the best rat rod bikes are cantilever frames with big gas tanks (a different artifice) and fat fenders. The greater the surface area, the greater the chances of success.

Don't get me wrong, there are parts of all of the above that I really enjoy. The problem is that by now, so much of rat rodding has become a fake tough-guy posturing cartoon of itself. I'm pointing at you, Guy Fieri, and your stupid sunglasses. Gene Vincent's bones are laughing at you.
+1

Originally Posted by fiataccompli
... I'd love to see or hear about your similar projects/bikes or bikes you've seen built in this vein. Share 'em up!
Shown here at C&V before, my last (and maybe this) years' trusty Eroica mount, ca. 1963 PX10.
I hope I'm not boring you... and not sure if it's a proper rat rod.

Frame was painted white a second time at some point in its life - which I didn't like, and re-painting was not an option for me.
So I tried most obvious chemicals to get rid of the "new" paint and at the same time retain as much of the original paintjob underneath as possible.
All to no avail, so I was left scraping off tiny paint chips. Which took quite a while... and was not exceedingly successful, admittedly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC04621a.jpg (98.4 KB, 494 views)
DSC03520-1a.jpg (97.3 KB, 500 views)
DSC04617_1a.jpg (98.2 KB, 504 views)
DSC04617xx.jpg (57.7 KB, 497 views)
DSC04619.jpg (89.1 KB, 499 views)
Likes For qd-s:
Old 03-20-13, 08:32 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by LupinIII

raleigh that doesn't fit me and will probably be on the way out (still have all the original parts in a box)
That's definitely the best example I've seen, looks awesome! And as far as looks go, the Trek makes me think tricked out Japanese car instead of rat rod. Still pretty cool though.
Old 03-20-13, 08:43 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
This a good candidate?
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bid/3674054084.html
Old 03-20-13, 02:22 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
raleigh that doesn't fit me and will probably be on the way out

On the way out? 58cm? What size do you need?
Old 03-20-13, 03:33 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Wow lupinIII, impressive. And totally on-topic, too!
Old 03-20-13, 04:10 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Wikipedia helped me understand what this thread is about:

"A rat rod is a style of hot rod or custom car that, in most cases, imitates (or exaggerates) the early hot rods of the 1940s, 1950s, and early-1960s. The style is not to be confused with the somewhat closely related "traditional" hot rod, which is an accurate re-creation or period-correct restoration of a hot rod from the same era.Most rat rods appear "unfinished", regardless of their status, as only the vehicle's bare essentials are driven.

[...]

Originally a counter-reaction to the high-priced "customs" and typical hot rods, many of which were seldom driven and served only a decorative purpose. The rat rod's inception signified a throwback to the hot rods of the earlier days of hot-rod culture—built according to the owner's abilities and with the intention of being driven. Rat rods are meant to loosely imitate, in both form and function, the "traditional" hot rods of the era. Biker, greaser, rockabilly, psychobilly, and punk sub-cultures are often cited as influences that shaped rat rodding.
The typical rat rod is a late-1920s through to late-1950s coupe or roadster, but sometimes a truck or sedan. Many early (pre-World War II) vehicles were not built with fenders, hoods, running boards, and bumpers. The bodies are frequentlychanneled over the frame and sectioned, or the roofs are chopped, for a lower profile. Later-era post-war vehicles were rarely constructed without fenders and were often customized in the fashion of Kustoms, leadsleds, and lowriders; Maltese crosses, skulls, and other accessories were often added. The owner of the vehicle was typically responsible for most, or all, of the work present in the vehicle.
Recently, the term "rat rod" has been used to describe almost any vehicle that appears unfinished or is built simply to be driven."

--awesome concept for a C&V thread
Old 03-20-13, 04:20 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah, nice concept indeed. I really hope to present my rattonneur bike soon, at the end of april the first 200 k brevet is coming up, and I want plenty of seat time before the event. Like I said above, old Motobecane frame, a cannibalized triple group, good saddle and some repurposed bags. Got to scrounge some fenders from somewhere.
Old 03-20-13, 04:25 PM
byhsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, posted in wrong section.

Last edited by byhsu; 03-20-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 04:47 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Nice road bikes, but not one is in true 'rat rod' style.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 03-20-13, 05:02 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks. yeah, that generally translates well to what I was talking about originally
Old 03-20-13, 06:07 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i know the OP was going for something different, but like others i am going to jump in with what i consider my more *true* rat rod. 1957 schwinn typhoon. random paint-doesn't-quite-match straight-blade fork, rusty coaster brake wheels, road quill stem, inverted cruiser bars, schwinn "racer" fender. i loved that bike, should never have gotten rid of it.

Old 03-20-13, 11:39 PM
TweedleDee

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Espree, 1995 Rockhopper

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteakKnifeSally

This is my favorite so far
Old 03-21-13, 12:04 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by peugeot mongrel
Maybe the OP is talking about a "classy beater" that rides great.
Pitted chrome, dents, chipped powder coat and wrong decals don't show too much in the pix. It's a favorite rider.

That's pretty cool. It just needs some out of place modern wheels and a modern seat and I think it's kind of what the op was looking for.
Old 03-21-13, 09:04 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep....and i dig the racer two posts above (actually those pics inspired one of my own builds) but yeah I was thinking of road bikes with some harsh anachronisms In the build too.
Old 03-21-13, 10:04 AM
gamby

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bumping an old thread coz why not

my old trek 460
This one REALLY seems to be in the spirit of the thread. Modern SRAM drivetrain on an old beater frame. This is a sweet setup. I'm guessing it is a GREAT ride.
Likes For gamby:
Old 03-22-13, 03:31 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin
On the way out? 58cm? What size do you need?
yep 58, need something more around 54. It might be going to a friend, but if he backs out i still have most of the original nuovo record that it came with (albeit in cosmetic condition similar to the frame)

Originally Posted by gamby
This one REALLY seems to be in the spirit of the thread. Modern SRAM drivetrain on an old beater frame. This is a sweet setup. I'm guessing it is a GREAT ride.
pretty good, but I'm liking the ritchey road logic I got to replace it more haha
(linking this since it's not really a rat rod: https://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...ic-thomson.jpg)
Old 03-24-13, 12:28 AM
echo victor 
bicyclatte!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alright, I think my PX-10 could be on the way toward being the kind of rat rod the OP is looking for: truly beat up paint; Mafacs upgraded to black Kool Stops; Campy FD, shift cable stops, and pedals; and Suntour barcons. For now, I'm just getting it tuned up (although I may try to clean up the paint in the not too distant future), and I may throw some Mavic/105 700c wheels on for fun and maybe replace the RD with a 105 for a while to see how that works out. Some HG cassette is almost certainly in its future.

So I think it's got the look, a smattering of upgraded parts, and it's lightweight and a good ride. Of course, motor upgrades are still in progress...

Close ups to show the awesomely ratty condition of the finish:

Old 01-09-15, 01:06 PM
surfdude1

Bikes: Custom "E" Schwinn Stingray chopper, rat rod trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my rat rod stingray.
Old 01-10-15, 10:58 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
There are some ratty road bikes in this thread no rat rods. Leaving a bike outside to rust doesn't make it a rat rod bike.

Now this is rat rod bike material:

Old 01-10-15, 12:21 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
True rat rod? I dont even have a FALSE rat rod road bike.
Old 01-10-15, 01:20 PM
frameteam2003

Bikes: old,older.and very old

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1900 Rambler with velocity wood look rims/soma major taylor bars.& leather covered seat
Likes For frameteam2003:
Old 01-10-15, 03:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18427 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
My Old Colnago has taken a licking and keeps on ticking.

It was never intended to be a "rat rod", but it definitely has seen quite a bit of wear over the years. Hopefully I'll do a mini-restoration on it sometime, but I'm still on the fence about clear-coating it vs stripping and repainting.

My Cargo bike, however, may fit more into the "rat-rod" category, but I'm still a bit up in the air about final finishing.
Attached Images
Duffels.jpg (96.3 KB, 483 views)
ColnagoSide.jpg (102.9 KB, 1740 views)
RustyTubes.jpg (106.7 KB, 565 views)
Old 01-10-15, 03:22 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
Here's a couple I have made in the past that may qualify:

Trek 500
84Trk504
84Trk508

Giant Kronos
IMG_2144

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.