Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Review of Windsor Wellington 2.0 from bikesdirect.com

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 08:44 PM
mackca01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Because this forum was helpful for me when I was deciding what road bike to buy, I wanted to post about my experience in what I bought in case it helps anybody else. I bought a Windsor Wellington 2.0 via bikesdirect.com, and I have been riding it for about 3-4 months, and I'm fairly pleased with it. This is the first road bike I have owned, and I'm new to road biking.

First, the bike arrived very quickly via UPS.

Second, I tried putting the bike together myself, but had trouble, and I took it to a bike shop for them to assemble. It's definitely worth the $50-100 to have a shop put it together correctly, especially if you don't really know anything about bikes like me.

Third, the chain broke on me twice within the first month or so. Both times happened while I was shifting the big gear in front. I just got it repaired the first time, but the second time I got a new chain. Since getting the new chain, I haven't had any problems with the chain.

Fourth, the shifting is a little clunky especially when shifting to the largest gear on the front. It doesn't want to shift to the front gear sometimes. Also, the chain has fallen off a couple of times when I quickly shifted to the smaller gears while going up a steep hill. I don't want to adjust the shifter myself because I have done that a couple of times and really screwed up the shifter. Some of the problems I've had with the shifting could be because I don't really know much about road bikes and there may be better ways to shift more smoothly. Nevertheless, I imagine a more expensive bike bought from a bike store would shift more smoothly.

Despite these minor problems, I have ridden the bike on several 40 mile bike rides and enjoyed them quite a bit. The brakes work very well, and the seat is fairly comfortable. Hope this helps anybody looking to buy a bike from bikesdirect.com
Old 03-24-13, 01:59 AM
orangejulio87

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix with Ultegra 6700, Windsor Knight with 5500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to be a real tuning issue. Granted, you have bottom of the barrel parts, but with proper tuning, your issues should be sorted out. And it's not shifter issues, its derailleur issues that you are experiencing. Explain to your LBS what you are dealing with or take a look at the park tools website and get those issues sorted out. Good luck.
Old 03-24-13, 03:01 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Youtube/google it up, you can do it!

or

Get to know your LBS well.