Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

stupid minivan driver

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

stupid minivan driver

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 01:22 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
and Canadians are skinny?
Not particularly, but doing better than their neighbo(u)rs to the south.
Old 05-10-13, 02:49 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDfive21
to add to that, cycling on shabbat is 'refrained from' and will cause friction between cyclists and hasidim.

ETA why:
Riding a bike on Shabbat poses several problems:

1) It is prohibited to carry objects in a public domain on Shabbat. Transporting an object by riding it is tantamount to carrying it.

2) Fixing a device on Shabbat is prohibited. If the bicycle breaks down, for example if the chain falls off, there is concern that the rider may fix it.

3) Riding a bike is considered a mundane weekday activity, one that we refrain from on Shabbat.
That's great and everything, but I don't see why any of that should apply to other people riding through their neighborhoods.
Old 05-10-13, 03:21 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ain't nothing wrong with a big booty Judy
Old 05-10-13, 05:34 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MDfive21
to add to that, cycling on shabbat is 'refrained from' and will cause friction between cyclists and hasidim.

ETA why:
Riding a bike on Shabbat poses several problems:

1) It is prohibited to carry objects in a public domain on Shabbat. Transporting an object by riding it is tantamount to carrying it.

2) Fixing a device on Shabbat is prohibited. If the bicycle breaks down, for example if the chain falls off, there is concern that the rider may fix it.

3) Riding a bike is considered a mundane weekday activity, one that we refrain from on Shabbat.
I work with an observant Jew.

He is long gone today. He takes no chances with no tmaking it home before sundown.

DRIVING on Shabbat is not permitted. Van driver has no case based on Shabbat.

BTW here in California where people are civilized I saw exactly how a VERY observant Jew can interact on Shabbat. The Orange Line bike path goes through a heavily Jewish area (actually at least 2 such areas, it is a long path). In one I came to a light one Saturday. One of the 2 Jewish men standing at the light (and light in a low traffic area, meaning no button pushed equals long wait) simply said 'I have not pushed the button'. I being an educated gentile knew exactly what that meant. He had not and would not as it would break his view of the Law. I only regret not asking him if the phrasing was intentional with the view of making sure it could not be considered a request that I push it for him. Which a very strict interpretation could be seen as causing me to labor on his behalf on the Sabbath. That could be interpreted as violating the Law.
Old 05-10-13, 06:05 PM
kalliergo 

Bikes: Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
One of the 2 Jewish men standing at the light (and light in a low traffic area, meaning no button pushed equals long wait) simply said 'I have not pushed the button'. I being an educated gentile knew exactly what that meant.
Good story. You were a passerby Sh***** goy.

Those folks in Williamsburg could learn from you and the two guys at the light.
"What if we fail to stop the erosion of cities by automobiles?. . . In that case, we Americans will hardly need to ponder a mystery that has troubled men for millennia: What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

~Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities
Old 05-10-13, 06:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
BTW here in California where people are civilized I saw exactly how a VERY observant Jew can interact on Shabbat. The Orange Line bike path goes through a heavily Jewish area (actually at least 2 such areas, it is a long path). In one I came to a light one Saturday. One of the 2 Jewish men standing at the light (and light in a low traffic area, meaning no button pushed equals long wait) simply said 'I have not pushed the button'. I being an educated gentile knew exactly what that meant. He had not and would not as it would break his view of the Law. I only regret not asking him if the phrasing was intentional with the view of making sure it could not be considered a request that I push it for him. Which a very strict interpretation could be seen as causing me to labor on his behalf on the Sabbath. That could be interpreted as violating the Law.
What, no Shabbat lights? A mistake that I made exactly once - getting in to a Shabbat elevator.
Old 05-10-13, 06:52 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That video was like a cartoon. Once the fat guy got out and tried to play tough I would have likely hurt myself either by causing a hernia from overly hard laughing, by falling down laughing or by trying to hold my guffaws in. Really, no one was in any danger there. It was just egos at play. That was confirmed by the fact that the driver didn't pin the cyclist on any of those right-side passes. He just wanted to play tough-guy.

That said, it always dismays me how many self-righteous motorists are certain that cyclists have no right to operate on the road and that they have some right to "teach them a lesson". Don't these people ever have any self-doubt that would cause them to look these things up?
Old 05-10-13, 06:57 PM
kalliergo 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
That was confirmed by the fact that the driver didn't pin the cyclist on any of those right-side passes. He just wanted to play tough-guy.
Without dinging his minivan.

Don't these people ever have any self-doubt that would cause them to look these things up?
Hardly ever. Dunning-Kruger.
"What if we fail to stop the erosion of cities by automobiles?. . . In that case, we Americans will hardly need to ponder a mystery that has troubled men for millennia: What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

Old 05-10-13, 07:26 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kalliergo

Hardly ever. Dunning-Kruger.
Thanks for the link. It reminds me of that feeling my classmates and I had while studying for orals in grad. school. We all feared that we were about to be outed as ignorant frauds.
Old 05-10-13, 07:46 PM
kalliergo 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
We all feared that we were about to be outed as ignorant frauds.
Right -- while the real problem is with the confident, clueless crowd that has always been certain that all you "experts" are ignorant frauds. Sigh.

Old 05-10-13, 08:47 PM
rousseau

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
and Canadians are skinny? You're joking right?
Compared to Europeans? No. But compared to Americans, everyone's skinny. Did you see the beef on display in that video? You'd never get a dozen people that fat in one small space in Canada outside of Inuit land.
Old 05-10-13, 08:50 PM
rousseau

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
My understanding is that the main complaint of the Hasidic folks is the way cyclists--especially women cyclists--dress.
I really, really hate religious nuts. They're irritating and scary. And completely *****ing mad.

Last edited by rousseau; 05-10-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-10-13, 09:13 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
That is not why they have a camera. They have usually had several close calls with motorists' who would love to run a cyclist off the road.

That is why, I want to get a Chest Mount Harness, when I am finally able to get a GoPro camera. I won't mount it on my helmet, because it would affect aerodynamics. I won't mount it on my bike, because of all that creeking noise.

I noticed that too. The motorist had really menacing behavior, in addition to committing several misdemeanors. The driver seemed on the verge of committing felonious assault. Not just on the cyclist. But on several other motorists', too.
I've got commuter friends that just ignore things drivers do and never have any trouble. I've got other friends that are hot heads, take the lane during rush hour because "it's their right" and have cameras "so they have proof." What's funny is we all generally travel the same routes about the same times and some have no problems while others have a lot.
Old 05-11-13, 01:23 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I've got commuter friends that just ignore things drivers do and never have any trouble. I've got other friends that are hot heads, take the lane during rush hour because "it's their right" and have cameras "so they have proof." What's funny is we all generally travel the same routes about the same times and some have no problems while others have a lot.
Yes, There drivers I ignore, who violate the '3ft. close passing' law, and there are those who violate that law, that tick me off.

Now, If I am on my way to an appointment, I don't have time to get emotionally 'wrapped up', in a motorist making a close pass.

Situations like two weeks ago, when I was on a 30mph road going 20mph, are when I had time. I was on my way home, only a couple blocks from my house, when a moron similar(not in passing because he didn't pass me, but in attitude) to the motorist in the video started giving me trouble. He was gunning his engine and honking at me. All just because he wanted to get to the bar faster. When I passed the bar, I saw him turn into the parking lot. I stopped and stared at him. He got out of his car and started to charge me like the guy in the video, except the bar is on the opposite side of the road. He backed down, when another bar customer in the parking lot, made it verbally clear that he needed to calm down.

In deference to motorists', I also 'take the lane' because, they can't accurately gauge three feet. Not just because the steering wheel is on the opposite side of the vehicle from where the cyclist is. The motorist can't see through the solid portion of the door, and through the body of the car to see that they are giving the cyclist enough room when passing. If cars made for the U.S/Canadian/European car markets, were instead sent to a country like England or Ireland where they drive on the left side of the road, it would be dandy, and vice versa. That problem didn't start until, open cars like the Model T Ford were done away, in favor of 'hard body' closed cars. Not saying the automotive industry should revert back to them, for cyclists' safety. But that cyclists' should be more virulent and adamant about their safety. Which is why from my experiences of being hit, that I need to get a camera.
Old 05-11-13, 01:30 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rousseau
I really, really hate religious nuts. They're irritating and scary. And completely *****ing mad.

Orthodox Jews and Hasidic Jews, are not one and the same.

Now this thread should be moved to P&R. Because it has no longer been about cycling.