Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

My Single speed came in... Steel On One Pompino

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-13, 11:56 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Woo hoo! I came home today to find a nice big box in my living room... I promptly proceeded to assembly, right then and there, much to the chagrin of my wife. She loves it when I do that...

It's a single speed steel On One Il Pompino, set up cross style, but with flat bars. It has cross brakes, a carbon fork, and knobby tires--But it rolls fast, smooth, nice and quiet. Feels great! Can't wait to ride it tomorrow on national ride to work day, and suffer up those hills without a bailout gear...

Old 05-17-13, 02:05 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 281 Posts
sweet looking SS, welcome to the climb! If the hills get to steep, just walk it til it levels off some. Later on you'll have the quads to grind up them hills without getting the HR to the red.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-17-13, 09:26 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am still trying to understand the allure of the single speeds and fixies.....but that is one sharp looking bike. Very nice!
Old 05-17-13, 10:54 AM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
I am still trying to understand the allure of the single speeds and fixies.....but that is one sharp looking bike. Very nice!
Mike, it is NOT a fixie The allure, for me, is sheer simplicity and elegance of such. Much like when we would jump on our BMX bikes as kids and just go... Sort of the same principle, only in a lighter, sleeker platform that strikes a fine balance between swiftness and comfort. Again, these are my deisgns for the bike--others may differ. A side benefit is that it is a great way to build leg strength and speed. You only have one gear--you have to make the most of it. Going under a freeway underpass today, I spun her up like Lance (yeah, I know, I know... lol) on the way down and mostly kept that crazy leg spin speed on the way up--it was a heck of a lot of fun and I was laughing when I got to the light on the other side. It needs slicks (or semi-slicks), but I had a great ride in! Jsig, thanks! I wasn't a little inspired by the cool pics of your bike with that sexy fork!
Old 05-17-13, 11:25 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's too hilly by my house... I'd cry just getting back to my house, but I reckon a SS cross bike would be a lot of fun.

What led you to that particular bike? Is On One british?
Old 05-17-13, 12:04 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Mike, it is NOT a fixie The allure, for me, is sheer simplicity and elegance of such. Much like when we would jump on our BMX bikes as kids and just go... Sort of the same principle, only in a lighter, sleeker platform that strikes a fine balance between swiftness and comfort. Again, these are my deisgns for the bike--others may differ. A side benefit is that it is a great way to build leg strength and speed. You only have one gear--you have to make the most of it. Going under a freeway underpass today, I spun her up like Lance (yeah, I know, I know... lol) on the way down and mostly kept that crazy leg spin speed on the way up--it was a heck of a lot of fun and I was laughing when I got to the light on the other side. It needs slicks (or semi-slicks), but I had a great ride in! Jsig, thanks! I wasn't a little inspired by the cool pics of your bike with that sexy fork!

There is a part of me that misses that at times.....until I run into the one lonely hill in the area.

I do plan on possibly taking my dad's really old Schwinn Collegiate and making it a simple single speed. We will see, I have to dig it out first.
Old 05-17-13, 12:11 PM
boy scout 161

Bikes: '10 Trek 1.1, '11 Specialized Tricross Sport, '12 Gravity G29 SS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
I am with Ervin8r on this. My MTB is a SS and it's all about the simplicity. No worries about bashing a derailleur, or mis-shifting, or cadence and so on. Just hop on and ride.
Old 05-17-13, 12:14 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 281 Posts
I've rode my full suspension 29er twice since I built up my SS MTB in Late Feb.

Singlespeed is just fun!! And a great workout
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-17-13, 12:20 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
It's too hilly by my house... I'd cry just getting back to my house, but I reckon a SS cross bike would be a lot of fun.

I liked the color. LOL! Seriously though, I was looking for a steel-framed "commuter," and was heavily considering the Surly Karate Monkey (really a 29'er MTB), when i came across some pics and reviews of the Pompino (and the geared/disc-brake equivalent, the Pompetine). It provides a somewhat classic look and feel in steel (4130), and the price is right (I think framesets can be had for under $300). I believe the brand is British--and the name means something crude in Italian.
Old 05-17-13, 12:57 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts

And I can't create that one segment by your house on Strava. I actually have to ride it. WaddaHeck!
Old 05-17-13, 01:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Yeah, here's one of the bits that would have me crying on a SS - https://app.strava.com/segments/1181571

Matter of fact, it kept me off my bike for a couple years until I decided I just needed to HTFU. My actual street is significantly worse, but it's pretty short.
Old 05-17-13, 01:19 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TH, how do you do that? Find Strava segments, I mean? I'm curious about the stretch on Bonita Ave between San Dimas Ave and White...

Thanks!
Old 05-17-13, 01:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Well, I created that one and I happen to ride it all the time so I just went to a ride that went over that parch of earth.

If you're looking for a segment that somebody else created, you can hit the explore button on top and then do segment explore and scroll the map around. It's not necessarily easy to use but you can find some interesting stuff.

If you just want to know the approximate grade of the road, i'd suggest using ridewithgps.com, it's a terrific site.
Old 05-17-13, 01:42 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, So on Strava, I had a 13.1 MPH average speed, a 32.9 mph max speed (must have been flying down under the underpass--still seems a bit optimistic...), and a 93' elevation gain (I know where those happened... lol!).
Old 05-17-13, 01:47 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Well, I created that one and I happen to ride it all the time so I just went to a ride that went over that parch of earth.

If you're looking for a segment that somebody else created, you can hit the explore button on top and then do segment explore and scroll the map around. It's not necessarily easy to use but you can find some interesting stuff.

If you just want to know the approximate grade of the road, i'd suggest using ridewithgps.com, it's a terrific site.
You going to let Tracy QOM over the KOM the segment that goes past the house and round the golf course are ya?
Old 05-17-13, 01:56 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I like the gold cantilever brake arms. Are the velo-orange?
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-17-13, 02:56 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I like the gold cantilever brake arms. Are the velo-orange?
The Canti's are On-One Frog Leg copies--very nicely made.
Old 05-17-13, 06:14 PM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Return trip home, 12.5 MPH average, 233ft gain, 25.9 top speed. I felt great riding home! This thing is cool!
Old 05-17-13, 07:07 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks fun... where did u get it from and how much?
Old 05-18-13, 12:46 AM
Erwin8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by donalson
Looks fun... where did u get it from and how much?
I bought it on Fleabay and got it for around $450. The Karate Monkey I was looking at was more than twice as much (albeit with an Alfine 11 hub).
Old 05-18-13, 10:09 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
You going to let Tracy QOM over the KOM the segment that goes past the house and round the golf course are ya?
Go check her out and you'll understand that "let" has nothing to do with it. That was probably a slow ride with friends (for her)
Old 05-18-13, 10:19 AM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
very nice... I had a KM and loved it (used it as a proper MTB)... I think for streets the on-one looks to be the better bike