Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Test your wits - Suntour Symmetric reassembly challenge! With pics!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Test your wits - Suntour Symmetric reassembly challenge! With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 01:44 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Liked 1,995 Times in 683 Posts
The main thing to know with these is that they only work correctly with a reverse none standard top nuetral no tension it's on the big ring in front and shifts to the little when you pull VX serious Front DR and you need a VX series DR in the rear for them to work correctly.
Old 06-18-13, 03:04 AM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
your run-on sentence is difficult to read.

mine worked fine with cyclone m series derailleurs. the only problem i experienced was tightening them while riding as they require an allen/hex tool.
Old 06-18-13, 05:28 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! And I suppose you have better odds of figuring out a bigger clamp than putting your Cannondale frame on a diet.
Old 06-18-13, 07:12 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,198 Times in 679 Posts
I've got the symmetric Suntour shifters on my "new to me" 83 Univega Sportour. Have not needed to work on them yet but very thankful this thread is available, Thanks all !

Symmetric is set up to the Suntour ARX series.The levers are curved, very easy to use. Front D is the only one offered,the rear is the ARX GT. Both do their job very well.

I'm hoping that when the time comes I can remove the shifters from the frame and simply run some triflow or Phil W tenasious oil in there to help it resume function. I'll remember the threadlock advice as well. I'm glad these came with the D rings attached to the bolts to help me if I ever need to tighten them up on a ride.
Old 06-18-13, 12:52 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I've got the symmetric Suntour shifters on my "new to me" 83 Univega Sportour. Have not needed to work on them yet but very thankful this thread is available, Thanks all !

Symmetric is set up to the Suntour ARX series.The levers are curved, very easy to use. Front D is the only one offered,the rear is the ARX GT. Both do their job very well.

I'm hoping that when the time comes I can remove the shifters from the frame and simply run some triflow or Phil W tenasious oil in there to help it resume function. I'll remember the threadlock advice as well. I'm glad these came with the D rings attached to the bolts to help me if I ever need to tighten them up on a ride.
Yeah, mine have the D-ring screws too, & it seems to me like those should be mandatory. Well, I flushed these ones out with Finish Line 1-step, cleaner & lubricant, but I was running out of that so I started a spray can of Liquid Wrench chain lube. That's the stuff, for lubing, & it was pretty cheap too at the auto parts store.
Old 06-18-13, 04:22 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Liked 85 Times in 38 Posts
What great information! Now I understand why the SR's shifters need so little trimming, unlike the other friction shifter bikes I've had. How cool!
I've only had to adjust the tension on mine so far, it was shifting out of the big cog on the RD, but no issues after that. I'm currently running a 7 speed freewheel with a Cyclone II RD.
This picture was taken right after pulling the bike out of a barn.
Old 06-18-13, 04:25 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Liked 1,198 Times in 679 Posts
Thanks for the tip ! Cheap but effective is my word for the shop.

Had a nice ride today before it rained with the bike. Still trying to decide the fit aspects of the saddle and stem. Shifting almost seems like it is an index system, it's that precise and crisp ! Still digging the top shift syle too !
Old 06-18-13, 07:02 PM
oberthecat

Bikes: 1985 & 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 1986 Schwinn Super Sport, 1985 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1973 silver Schwinn P13 Pamanount 1972 Chrome Schwinn P13 Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a picture of the shifters on my 1985 AD Puch Maxima 15. These shifters work in the manner described. The bikes FD and RD are Suntour ARXs with the rear having a fairly long cage. The bike had a five speed free wheel when new but at some point it was replaced with a 6 speed. The crank is a three speed half step set up. It all worked very well.
Old 06-19-13, 03:58 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got these cleaned up pretty decent now, at least from a short distance. On the FD, I'm pretty sure the braze-on one was a very early M II, but got branded as a regular Cyclone. Notice the pivot plate is shorter, besides having that distinctive cut-out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
010 (Medium) (Medium).jpg (98.7 KB, 500 views)
013 (Medium).jpg (99.1 KB, 499 views)
012 (Medium).jpg (99.2 KB, 502 views)
Old 04-05-14, 09:50 AM
jesseahouser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to miamijim for the excellent assembly instructions and photos. And thanks also to WNG and Banzai for describing how to set up the shifters.

As others have mentioned, my shifters were also missing the nylon washer on the left side. I measured, did a bit of searching, and found a nylon washer (made in Twin Falls, Idaho) that fits. Note that you will need to cut a small notch to match the shift lever. The left lever will still seem slightly loose prior to installing cables, although less so than without the nylon washer. I've found that once the cables are installed and set up, the play in the lever is insignificant.

Seastrom Manufacturing
Part Number: 5610-644-62
ID: 0.454 in
OD: 0.625 in
T: 0.062 in
Product Details

As it turns out, Seastrom also makes flat metal washers like the very thin ones used on this shifter. If you are missing one of those, you might be able to find one in their product portfolio that would work.
Old 04-06-14, 09:58 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the info. I might need some thin washers for another project, and wondered where to find them at. Not sure if McMaster-Carr carries stuff like this as well or not.

Also, not sure if Beech333 (post 35?) ever scanned his SunTour small parts catalog or not. I could use a scan of the later Cyclone Mk. II rear derailleur. The cage pivot bolt and nut are different than the scans from Yellow Jersey, etc., and have a slot in them with a "T" shaped piece of metal that wedges in and is tightened by the nut. Without it, the nut will not tighten. One of mine was missing that and although I made one which works OK, finding an actual one for it would be nice.

Last edited by Pars; 04-06-14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 10:21 AM
Optimus2357

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is amazing! I'm overhauling a 1985 Schwinn Le Tour, and decided to disassemble the symmetric shifters without really thinking it through... a couple twists of a screwdriver and it just dissolved into a pile of little metal pieces. Thanks to miamijim and everyone else who contributed to this thread, I was able to get it all back together!
Old 09-28-14, 08:29 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
And now it's nearly October. I too am missing the nylon washer. And the mounting bolt. I won't be taking mine apart for cleaning. I came here trying to find out why the left lever is always loose. thanks to all contributors.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 10-05-14 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-29-14, 06:56 AM
willpom

Bikes: '84 Claud Butler Sierra, Late 30's Claud Butler Tandem, Gazelle Champion Mondial AA Special, Rourke, 50s fillet brazed Claud Butler (fixed), 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1948 Claud Butler Avant Courier frame, 50s/60s Pomeroy Cycles frame, DIY Bamboo Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks miamijim for the diagram. Mine too slip a lot and I was going to take apart and clean but think I'll just go the thread lock route as apart from regularly tightening they work fine with my Cyclone MKII GT set up on a 1984 Claud Butler Sierra running a custom drive train - at the moment 42/24 front and 9spd 11-32 rear - kicks ass on a hilly 400km Audax!

As to the infallible Sheldon, shortly after getting these shifters and trying them out I actually emailed John Allen at Harris Cyclery explaining how I thought Sheldon's 'flaw' was flawed, shortly after this was added "Sheldon regarded the design as flawed, but opinions differ -- John Allen"
https://sheldonbrown.com/suntour.html
Old 11-05-14, 03:00 PM
therover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you, much frustration saved
Old 02-01-18, 03:36 PM
Bestedreng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pics seems to have disappeared, or is it just me? Can anyone repost them? It would be of great help!
Old 02-01-18, 08:29 PM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestedreng
The pics seems to have disappeared, or is it just me? Can anyone repost them? It would be of great help!
You can thank Photobucket for the loss of the photos. The only thing I have saved is this exploded view of the Symmetric shifters. I found it while looking for info on rebuilding mine. Hope it helps!

Likes For AustinFitz:
Old 02-01-18, 10:11 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Liked 1,391 Times in 925 Posts
I remember about 25 years ago, thinking that I was clever in having decided to unbolt the whole thing and then simply apply a fat drop of regular old motor oil to the innards, which gave great and lasting results as far as my 710's shift action went.
Sure am glad that it didn't occur to me at that time to start taking the thing apart, which is pretty much de-rigueur these days for most ordinary DT shift levers, if only to get lube to the pivots and washers.
Mine have the 4mm Allen socket tension bolts, which retain adjustment over long periods of use and non-use.
Older DT levers (even indexed, Synchro and Retrofriction levers) respond magically to the motor oil, which I keep in a Tri-Flo bottle (with applicator capillary tube), diluted with perhaps 10% mineral spirits for faster penetration on colder days.

In the old days, folks used the "Cycle Oil" for literally every moving part of the bikes, and the bikes turn up today well-preserved because of it.
Old 02-02-18, 04:02 AM
Bestedreng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank´s a lot! This really helps. Maybe I´ll take and post some ptohots as I assemble my shifters.
Old 02-02-18, 04:09 AM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestedreng
Thank´s a lot! This really helps. Maybe I´ll take and post some ptohots as I assemble my shifters.
Please do! I still haven't taken mine apart yet. I just flushed them out with generous amounts of oil and that seemed to work nicely, but I do want to eventually disassemble them and clean them better.
Old 03-29-19, 11:42 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 526 Times in 369 Posts
I seem to recall reading this thread before so when I was working on recently acquired 84 Novara Randonee I chickened out and merely removed the left hand screw flushed the shifters liberally with WD 40 let them dry and then dribbled in 3 in 1 oil. Now that I have found the exploded diagram above I might over haul them down the road

Old 03-29-19, 03:40 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
The main thing to know with these is that they only work correctly with a reverse none standard top nuetral no tension it's on the big ring in front and shifts to the little when you pull VX serious Front DR and you need a VX series DR in the rear for them to work correctly.
I've found the exact opposite to be true. Yes, a reply six years after the original post. The thread appeared just today, and I read back through it.

Old 05-28-19, 12:24 PM
Mr. Luigi

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1963 Schwinn Stingray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish I saw this thread BEFORE I took the deep dive!

Preface...if I had read this thread BEFORE doing the following, I probably would NOT have touched the shifter and let sleeping dogs lie.

I disassembled my Syntour Symmetric (version with the "smooth" shifter handles). Cleaned and greased things and put back all the bits and pieces in what I hoped was the correct order and orientation. I have noticed that after the "refresh" the right shifter does NOT stay tight. It loosens over time causing the rear deraillier to shift to smaller sprockets on its own. The only solution is to get out a 5mm Allen key and retighten the bolt. That solves the problem for a while.

I also noticed that when I move the LEFT shifter, the 5mm Allen bolt does NOT rotate. But when I move the RIGHT shift lever the 5mm Allen bolt moves with the lever. I suspect the behavior of the right lever/Allen bolt is why it loosens over time. Is this normal? Or could I have screwed up reassembling things? Maybe the different behavior of the left and right 5mm Allen bolts is a consequence of the need for the shifter to "auto-adjust" the left/front derailleur as you change rear gears. But I'm not sure.

If it is normal for the right shifter to loosen over time, does anyone have a solution? I thought about taking off the right 5mm Allen bolt on the right side. Clean it up. Dab some blue Loctight on the threads, let it dry, and then reattach the bolt to the shifter in the hope that the increased friction in the threads would prevent the 5mm bolt from loosening.

Thanks in advance for any help the community may be able to offer!

P.S. I am glad I can do my part to make this the thread that never dies!
Old 06-04-19, 03:26 AM
willpom

Bikes: '84 Claud Butler Sierra, Late 30's Claud Butler Tandem, Gazelle Champion Mondial AA Special, Rourke, 50s fillet brazed Claud Butler (fixed), 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1948 Claud Butler Avant Courier frame, 50s/60s Pomeroy Cycles frame, DIY Bamboo Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Luigi
Preface...if I had read this thread BEFORE doing the following, I probably would NOT have touched the shifter and let sleeping dogs lie.

I disassembled my Syntour Symmetric (version with the "smooth" shifter handles). Cleaned and greased things and put back all the bits and pieces in what I hoped was the correct order and orientation. I have noticed that after the "refresh" the right shifter does NOT stay tight. It loosens over time causing the rear deraillier to shift to smaller sprockets on its own. The only solution is to get out a 5mm Allen key and retighten the bolt. That solves the problem for a while.

I also noticed that when I move the LEFT shifter, the 5mm Allen bolt does NOT rotate. But when I move the RIGHT shift lever the 5mm Allen bolt moves with the lever. I suspect the behavior of the right lever/Allen bolt is why it loosens over time. Is this normal? Or could I have screwed up reassembling things? Maybe the different behavior of the left and right 5mm Allen bolts is a consequence of the need for the shifter to "auto-adjust" the left/front derailleur as you change rear gears. But I'm not sure.

If it is normal for the right shifter to loosen over time, does anyone have a solution? I thought about taking off the right 5mm Allen bolt on the right side. Clean it up. Dab some blue Loctight on the threads, let it dry, and then reattach the bolt to the shifter in the hope that the increased friction in the threads would prevent the 5mm bolt from loosening.

Thanks in advance for any help the community may be able to offer!

P.S. I am glad I can do my part to make this the thread that never dies!
Threadlock! Not the stupidly tough locking one but one you can adjust.
Old 06-09-19, 08:22 AM
Mr. Luigi

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1963 Schwinn Stingray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for confirming my impressions about using Locktite. My initial reply to you was rejected because it had a URL to the product I use on my bikes. So, in English only, I use the blue Locktite 243 (an newer version of the old stand-by blue Locktite 242). It comes in a red plastic container, but it's a blue fluid and meant for medium duty jobs where you would want to someday disassemble the parts. Cheers, Luigi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.