Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you litter on bike rallies?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you litter during rides or trash it later?
never litter
89.83%
depends where it is
6.78%
i'm a litter bug
1.69%
i am racing so it's ok (whatever!)
1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Do you litter on bike rallies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 09:44 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cadd
Trust me, my blood pressure is normal. Not worked up about this. If I feel like littering, I'll do it. If I feel like carrying it to the trash can a block away, I'll do it.

As a person (in the U.S.) you are entitled to your opinion....you can express your opinion freely. But you have to remember....I have the exact rights you do. You can say whatever you want to me when you see me littering.....it won't change a thing. I'll probably litter more in front of you, on purpose, just to piss you off (since I know it bothers you). That's just the person I am.

My attitude in life is: I don't give a damn. I live for the moment. I don't care if my great great great great great grandson won't have a park to play in. You can call me selfish, but hey, I only look out for myself and the people around me that I care about.
One of the great things about America is you have a right to many things. However, littering is not one of those regardless of what you might think. One of the sad things about America is there are too many that think they way you do.
Old 09-15-05, 09:48 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dfw
One of the sad things about America is there are too many that think they way you do.
.....especially from NYC. I see lots of those people around.

I'm not saying I go around tossing stuff on the street, in the trains, on buses, in campgrounds or on hiking trails. 95% of the time, I DON'T. But when I do, I don't want a tree-hugger to run after me.
Old 09-15-05, 09:59 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dfw
Mylar isn't biodegradable. If you don't see what's wrong with it, you should know it's never too late to learn a bit of what it takes to have class and self respect.
Are you sure polyethylene terephthalate isn't biodegradable?
Old 09-15-05, 10:35 PM
Wind 'N Snow
What icy wind?

Bikes: Cervélo Dual, old Pinarello Montello & older Miyata Alumicross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
I heard you can't break down biodegradable in nature. Just like you can't find another word for thesaurus....hmmm
Old 09-15-05, 10:50 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you take earth as a closed system, I'm not really adding or removing anything from it.
Old 09-15-05, 10:51 PM
Wind 'N Snow
What icy wind?

Bikes: Cervélo Dual, old Pinarello Montello & older Miyata Alumicross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you take earth as a closed system, I'm not really adding or removing anything from it.
Yeah, it was closed last time I tried to visit too.
Old 09-15-05, 11:43 PM
Starclimber
Blue Straggler

Bikes: Miele Pisasheeta, Airborne Thunderbolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edible wrappers. There, I've done my part.
Old 09-16-05, 05:38 PM
trayer350

Bikes: Vortex, Proteus,Tuscany, Victoire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A cyclist is suppose to be a purist. He (she) rides something quiet that doesn't expend fuel while exercising, competing, meeting others, getting closer to nature and reaching destinations with the least possible disturbance to the world. Now, I don't see how a litterbug fits into this picture of someone trying to be a decent human being.
Old 09-16-05, 07:07 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Powerbars use mylar wrappers. It doesn't matter if you take them out and wrap them in a latex condom. If you throw the wrapper, it's still litter.
Old 09-16-05, 07:09 PM
dfw
Stercus accidit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you should have no problem if I let my dogs crap on your doorstep. It's biodegradeable right?
Old 09-16-05, 07:11 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I want to know is this. How many of you have seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show at a midnight showing?
Old 09-16-05, 09:32 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dfw
So you should have no problem if I let my dogs crap on your doorstep. It's biodegradeable right?
Go right ahead, I rent, I don't have to clean it up.
My door inside the apartment however, is locked. Feel free to break into it and if you find yourself eating a few 9mm's, don't blame me. So please, leave your dog's biodegradeables outside the door, I have no problem with that. BTW, you don't see me lecturing people global warming, burning too much gas, wasting too many resources in general, which BTW, also contributes to polluting our overall environment. Good to see so many people care so much about their tiny bit of localized environment but won't do much globally.

Last edited by slvoid; 09-16-05 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 09:33 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dfw
Powerbars use mylar wrappers. It doesn't matter if you take them out and wrap them in a latex condom. If you throw the wrapper, it's still litter.
No, I believe powerbars use polyethylene terephthalate wrappers.
Old 09-16-05, 09:36 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trayer350
A cyclist is suppose to be a purist. He (she) rides something quiet that doesn't expend fuel while exercising, competing, meeting others, getting closer to nature and reaching destinations with the least possible disturbance to the world. Now, I don't see how a litterbug fits into this picture of someone trying to be a decent human being.
Do you have any idea how many toxic byproducts there are in mass production of bike frames, carbon fiber, greases, lube, resins, tires, tubes, and the various chemicals in the paints?
Shouldn't we all be riding calfee bamboo bikes then?
Old 09-17-05, 12:21 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, nothing pure about the embodied energies involved in the production and shipment of bicycles, that's for sure.
Old 09-17-05, 12:51 PM
Lectron
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Am I the only one that admits to littering, running red lights and stop signs, going the wrong way down streets, riding on the sidewalk, walking into a job site full of construction workers while I'm in full spandex, etc?

Or is everyone just lying about their best behavior on bikeforums?
I'm in the second category. Depends on where it is.
On a race I have, or my club, paid start money. I'm not that good that I actually get paid to start.
Part of that money is for the arranger to make the road race-ready and tidy up afterwords.
Eating in 25 mph is hard enough so I don't bother to keep every bit of that chocolate paper.
I've already paid my way out of it! So yes. I litter.
Old 09-17-05, 06:41 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dfw
I don't mind either....I live in a large apt building and you can have your dogs crap right in front of the doorsteps. I'm sure the super isn't going to be too happy about it.

If you want your dogs to take a crap in front of my door, I live in a building that has 40 apartments.....you have a 1 in 40 chance of getting it right. Let me give you a hint....don't mess with the dude in 4E. He's a local drug dealer that has 7 pitbulls in his apt. They'll rip your dog(s) apart in seconds.
Old 09-17-05, 06:57 PM
bike756
Hair Free

Bikes: specialized allez with misc. upgrades,commuter mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I ever litter(always accidentally), I make sure to pick up the next ten peices of litter that I see, so I leave the place better than it was.
Old 09-17-05, 07:55 PM
trayer350

Bikes: Vortex, Proteus,Tuscany, Victoire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have any idea how many toxic byproducts there are in mass production of bike frames, carbon fiber, greases, lube, resins, tires, tubes, and the various chemicals in the paints?

So, if you oppose littering and litterbugs throwing garbage on streets and roads, you should ride a bamboo bike. That's some logic.
Old 09-18-05, 09:32 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So, if you oppose littering and litterbugs throwing garbage on streets and roads, you should ride a bamboo bike. That's some logic.
I don't oppose littering.
Old 09-18-05, 10:49 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Trust me, my blood pressure is normal. Not worked up about this. If I feel like littering, I'll do it. If I feel like carrying it to the trash can a block away, I'll do it.

As a person (in the U.S.) you are entitled to your opinion....you can express your opinion freely. But you have to remember....I have the exact rights you do. You can say whatever you want to me when you see me littering.....it won't change a thing. I'll probably litter more in front of you, on purpose, just to piss you off (since I know it bothers you). That's just the person I am.

My attitude in life is: I don't give a damn. I live for the moment. I don't care if my great great great great great grandson won't have a park to play in. You can call me selfish, but hey, I only look out for myself and the people around me that I care about.
This is really sad to thing that people truely think this way. They don't give a damn for anyone else but themselves.

Cadd, I really feel sorry for you that you a such a miserible human being. Just ask yourself how you would fel if someone dumped a load of trash on your front lawn every day.
Old 09-18-05, 10:56 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

That old tired argument. Give me a break! The idea is to try and be as responsible as we can with the resources that we consume. Just because our resource consumption creates impact on the environment does not give us license to behave as we please.
Old 09-18-05, 07:22 PM
Cadd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
This is really sad to thing that people truely think this way. They don't give a damn for anyone else but themselves.

Cadd, I really feel sorry for you that you a such a miserible human being. Just ask yourself how you would fel if someone dumped a load of trash on your front lawn every day.
It's ok, you don't have to feel sorry for me. I'm not miserable at all. I feel great. If you want, you can come and dump a load of trash on my front lawn EVERY DAY! But you have to buy me a front lawn first....I don't have one.
Old 09-18-05, 07:42 PM
shimanopower

Bikes: lemond zurch, felt f55 '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanW
I just dislike people saying "I hate [x group of people]" when they've only ever encountered a tiny, tiny percentage of that group and have no idea what the rest are like. But I also try to pick people up if they say "I hate Americans" just because they don;t agree with some aspect of US foreign policy. It's just brainless.
I hate environmentalism so I hate environmentalists. Similar to I hate racism so I hate racists. I hate stealing so I hate thieves. I don't see the problem here.
Old 09-18-05, 07:42 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

It's ok, you don't have to feel sorry for me. I'm not miserable at all. I feel great. If you want, you can come and dump a load of trash on my front lawn EVERY DAY! But you have to buy me a front lawn first....I don't have one.
Read my post. I never said you "felt miserable". I said you "were a miserable human being". Frankly I could care less how you feel. I'll reserve my concern for those that actually care about folks in the world other than themselves.

No need for a lawn, so we'll dump a load of trash in your home, apartment, shack, cardboard box or wherever you live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.