Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Reflection on entry level road bike purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 11:29 AM
i_live_in_sf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About a month ago, I was in the market for a good entry level road bike and after hours of research, rides and searches, finally found a bike that I think is perfect. I’ve logged about 150 miles on it so far, and now feel justified in posting a little about the process in hopes it helps another person in the same situation down the road.

I decided to go entry level with my first bike – the absolute cheapest road bike I could find that was respectable. I didn't want to pay for anything I didn't need or that a novice wouldn't notice. This "price first" approach invariably led me to bikes direct, which had prices significantly lower than my local bike shop. I also visited outlet bike centers (Marin), a used LBS, a Specialized shop, and even corporate shops like REI and Mike’s Bikes. Eventually I settled on a Raleigh Revenio 1 from a LBS with an out the door price of $590.

Here’s how I would grade my choices in hindsight:

On the decision not to use Bikes Direct: A+
Being able to test a bike and get a feel for it was very influential in my decision making process. Also, while it’s true that putting together a bike isn't rocket science – my early experiences with basic maintenance (tire change and chain cleaning) have lead me to realize that putting together a bike would be a multi-hour experience – something I’d rather pay someone to do and do right the first time.

On the decision to get a very cheap bike: A-
Could some things be better on the bike? Absolutely. However, when I fell with my new clipless pedals, I was very glad I wasn't scraping up a new $1500 baby. Another thing to consider for a new rider is the "bike tax" you'll pay in gear - I've easily spent $200 on gear in the last few weeks.

All in all I’ll probably end up upgrading in a year or so, but when I do I can always sell what I have and put that towards the new one, plus have the added experience of knowing more about cycling and how it fits in my exercise life.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0027.jpg (95.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-16-13, 11:37 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I absolutely agree with your decision & the reasons for it. In a year or two if you're riding lots you'll probably want another bike. If you're not riding lots then you've spent the minimum to make the decision.
Old 07-16-13, 11:39 AM
Nickr33176

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the same boat as you and went through the same thought process. I ended up buying a Fuji Roubiax(spelling sucks) on sale from the local performance bike shop and could not be happier. I, like you, have fell a couple times learning to get in and out of the clipless pedals and will probaly end up wanting something better down the road as well.
Old 07-16-13, 12:00 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6801 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 3,248 Posts
Congrats to you both. And Welcome to the Bike Forums.

Enjoy your new bikes.
Old 07-16-13, 12:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by i_live_in_sf
About a month ago, I was in the market for a good entry level road bike and after hours of research, rides and searches, finally found a bike that I think is perfect. I’ve logged about 150 miles on it so far, and now feel justified in posting a little about the process in hopes it helps another person in the same situation down the road.

I decided to go entry level with my first bike – the absolute cheapest road bike I could find that was respectable. ... Eventually I settled on a Raleigh Revenio 1 from a LBS with an out the door price of $590.

All in all I’ll probably end up upgrading in a year or so, but when I do I can always sell what I have and put that towards the new one, plus have the added experience of knowing more about cycling and how it fits in my exercise life.

Wow, what a great bike for that price!
should give you lots of fun miles.
enjoy!
Old 07-16-13, 12:44 PM
rearviewbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! Best upgrade will be the motor at this point!
Old 07-16-13, 01:00 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 'bike tax' on accessories is the hidden secret that the LBSs know but won't warn you about, and honestly, is the biggest reason to step it up from an entry level bike (of course, if you can afford it.)

It's not unusual for bike accessories in the first year of serious riding to exceed $1000, even without buying top-end gear. Jerseys, bibs, shorts, nutrition, tires, tools, helmet, shoes, pedals, sunglasses, the list goes on and on. Starts to make your $600 entry level bike (despite it's great functionality) look a bit paltry after awhile, but ride that entry level bike like a rock star - it won't hold you back.
Old 07-16-13, 01:03 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Nice looking bike!
Old 07-16-13, 01:05 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Re-take photo of bike following proper BF protocol

Ride and be safe!
Old 07-16-13, 01:34 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
If you end up really enjoying cycling, I would avoid the next common mistake - upgrading in baby steps.

I wouldn't buy a $1500 bike as your second bike and then a $2500-3000 bike a year or two later as your third and maybe final bike. Instead, I would ride the snot out of this one till you can afford a high end bike that you could then live with for a long time. You current bike would then be perfect on an indoor trainer for rainy days.