Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Watch out! Grandpa Gibson's got a new bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 07:48 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a Trek FX 7.6 last week and took it on a few trainer spins the past few days. The weather was nice today so I thought I'd try out my new wheels. Wow! I haven't ridden a bike in over forty years. Everything went fine going to the trail I've used for walking for 35 years. However that slope down on a bike is a real thriller! Before I knew it I was screaming when the trail changed to dirt and stones.... then I got to muddy ruts It was 1.5 miles of sheer hell trying to remember how to control this runaway machine until I reached the other end. I quickly got on a side street and everything was fine. Fascinating how much of a shock it was to my balance and reactions. After fifteen minutes taking the turns gradually and re-learning shifting I got the hang of it. I should have rode the asphalt roads first a while. The seat was not uncomfortable since I replaced it with a wider and slightly softer model. Despite having used an elliptic for seven years I was huffing and puffing on even the slight hills. I have a long way to go.

What a blast. Can't wait for tomorrow's ride.
Old 07-21-13, 07:58 PM
overthehillmedi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this post needs pictures!!!!
Old 07-22-13, 06:27 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Stay on the road till you get used to riding again. Little rocks and soft sand etc can make trails dangerous.

Then all you have to get used to are Hills-wind- rain and PIE.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-22-13, 09:53 AM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
this post needs pictures!!!!
I'm not carrying ANYTHING on me until I'm relatively safe to others.
Old 07-22-13, 10:22 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I'll send you my GoPro if you promise to do that ride again and tape it.

Old 07-22-13, 10:37 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Do you have a smartphone?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-22-13, 12:03 PM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I'll send you my GoPro if you promise to do that ride again and tape it.
No thanks but I scared myself again today. I toured the outer limits of our neighborhood and finally went back on the sidewalk coming down Wakefield Chapel road...the asphalt was really bumpy and cracked running along my wheels' path. That went fine until near the bottom of the hill. The sidewalk turned into a hard gravel foot path. The front tires went sliding to the right and left. A woman walking along in front of me must have heard the crunching of the tires and looked around. Apparently the sight of an old geezer with a look of terror on his face prompted her to step back off the path. Thank you! Thank you! The path back home followed a major road. Fortunately it was asphalt paved but really steep. I was in my lowest gear peddling like mad barely making way when I stalled. I had to walk the bike to the top of the hill, but no one saw, thank goodness!

This is so much fun. I need to change the stem to a greater angle to get my hands up higher; my fingers in my right hand go numb..it's just a circulation peculiarity of my right hand.

Yes, I have a smartphone. I keep it in the pouch under/behind my seat. I'm struggling with the darn Bontranger Node 1.1. Couldn't get it to start today. I thought I had it figured out. Darn.
Old 07-22-13, 12:07 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Bones heal. Chicks dig scars.

Glory is forever.

Old 07-22-13, 04:05 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like you and I would have fun on a single track ride I am planning on Wednesday. Care to join me?
Old 07-22-13, 08:23 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
No thanks but I scared myself again today. I toured the outer limits of our neighborhood and finally went back on the sidewalk coming down Wakefield Chapel road...the asphalt was really bumpy and cracked running along my wheels' path. That went fine until near the bottom of the hill. The sidewalk turned into a hard gravel foot path. The front tires went sliding to the right and left. A woman walking along in front of me must have heard the crunching of the tires and looked around. Apparently the sight of an old geezer with a look of terror on his face prompted her to step back off the path. Thank you! Thank you! The path back home followed a major road. Fortunately it was asphalt paved but really steep. I was in my lowest gear peddling like mad barely making way when I stalled. I had to walk the bike to the top of the hill, but no one saw, thank goodness!

This is so much fun. I need to change the stem to a greater angle to get my hands up higher; my fingers in my right hand go numb..it's just a circulation peculiarity of my right hand.

Yes, I have a smartphone. I keep it in the pouch under/behind my seat. I'm struggling with the darn Bontranger Node 1.1. Couldn't get it to start today. I thought I had it figured out. Darn.
My hands went numb on my Trek 7.4 (they still do sometimes). Get some good cycling gloves and when your strength builds up you won't be leaning on your hands as much.

FYI - I also got some bar ends that allow multiple hand positions
Old 07-22-13, 08:39 PM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
My hands went numb on my Trek 7.4 (they still do sometimes). Get some good cycling gloves and when your strength builds up you won't be leaning on your hands as much.

FYI - I also got some bar ends that allow multiple hand positions
My numbness has to do with the arteries in my wrist. Any flexion upwards cuts the circulation off. The way the LBS set up my saddle and bars I find myself putting a lot of weight on my hands. It also happens while sleeping. My left hand is ok. Thanks for the suggestion though. I bought and installed an adjustable stem today and set it full up. We'll see how that works and then maybe let it down incrementally. I'll then buy a fixed one once I determine the right angle.
Old 07-22-13, 08:52 PM
Rapidray

Bikes: 1997 Bianchi Trofeo - 2014? Bianchi Pista Via Condotti - 1977/78 Peugeot U08 - 2010 Quintana Roo CD 0.1 - 2014 Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you are ok in my book! You keep coming back. Everything will work out. Enjoy your Trek!
Old 07-28-13, 12:41 PM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the Ergon GP2-L did the trick. No more numb fingers. So I put the bike on the trainer today and started to work on my cadence. My knee doctor (two arthroscopic surgeries for torn meniscus) warned me not to to any quad extensions or squats because of incipient arthritis. While obsessing last night I was surprised to find that my 'casual' cadence was putting more load on my knees. I was doing mid fifties. I did 40 minutes at 72 cpm (10 miles @ 15 mph on the Trek Node 1.1) and guess what went numb? This is my second seat.

It's fascinating at the variations in techniques, all of which are defended vigorously. One says tilt it forward, the other says tilt it back a bit. I did the latter and at a half hour I went numb. Actually the sit bones, the most common complaint it seems, aren't the problem; the numbness is. So, I guess I'll have to do what everyone has done and try a few more out. Sigh.
Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 07-28-13 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-28-13, 01:32 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like every ride i go on.
Old 07-28-13, 09:23 PM
counterman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love last line of your post!
Old 07-28-13, 10:00 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Who needs pics! I can very well imagine you screaming down the hill! I'm told that in golf it's the one great shot you make that brings you back to the golf course again and again, wanting to experience the feeling of making that great shot again. I think cycling is the same in many ways, there's always something special about each ride that brings me back the next day, and the next ...

Good for you for getting back on the bike after 40 years!
Old 07-29-13, 10:16 AM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by counterman
I love last line of your post!
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Who needs pics! I can very well imagine you screaming down the hill! I'm told that in golf it's the one great shot you make that brings you back to the golf course again and again, wanting to experience the feeling of making that great shot again. I think cycling is the same in many ways, there's always something special about each ride that brings me back the next day, and the next ...

Good for you for getting back on the bike after 40 years!
Well, after extensive (obsessive) searching I've decided on either the Selle SMP TRK or Hybrid. I wonder if anyone has tried both. My sit bones measure which puts me in the 145 range.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
Old 07-29-13, 11:31 AM
Randy Bosma
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
... FYI - I also got some bar ends that allow multiple hand positions