Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 2013 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 05:16 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That course was fun and a lot safer than I expected. They do need to open up the whole road, though. Yellow line rule doesn't work out there. I had a blast. Was fruitlessly aggressive in the 3s. Finished the p123 and actually felt decent. Tokeneke tomorrow is going to hurt, that's for sure.
Old 08-11-13, 02:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Dunnigan Hills RR p/1/2's, 84 miles.

8 AM start, had to get up at 4:30 and roll out by 5 to get to the start in time, ugh..

It was mostly flat, with some rolling hills, and while not super windy, the wind did play a factor.

The first and only crash was about a mile in, on the first turn while we were still neutralized - who knows what happened but guys went down, luckily I didn't.

Early on a group of 5 or 6 big-names rolled off the front, of course everyone assuming they wouldn't last. Only one team really doing any work to bring them back, and some teams (cough, SF Squadra, cough) with nobody up the road inexplicably not helping the chase. I wasn't helping the chase since I was on my own and just looking to survive.

Nothing exciting happened until attacks started about 40 miles in, when some guys started to try to get off the front. Followed a few of those attacks, bridged to a group of 10+ that looked promising, but it all came back together.

About 60 miles in I was feeling fine, sitting in the pack that had pretty much let the break go, and chatting. A few minutes later we're strung out single file in a crosswind, everyone looking for shelter that was nowhere to be found. Gaps are forming, and before I know it one is forming in front of me and I just can't close it. ****. Watched the pack roll away and threw in the towel.

Rolled in the last 20 or so miles with another straggler, it was great to have company.

Cracked my (newly replaced) 404 rim on a pothole, that was somehow in the middle of the road. Most of the potholes on this course were on the right, but somehow I found one in the middle.. it's a tiny crack that only covers the braking surface, but probably not something I can ignore. Icing on the cake and probably the universe trying to tell me I should've skipped this RR and just done the Suisun crit today instead.

edit: wow I ended up 38th out of 59, and was one away from DFL.. lots of DNFs.

my race videos

Last edited by mattm; 08-11-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 02:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Cracked my (newly replaced) 404 rim on a pothole, that was somehow in the middle of the road. Most of the potholes on this course were on the right, but somehow I found one in the middle.. it's a tiny crack that only covers the braking surface, but probably not something I can ignore. Icing on the cake and probably the universe trying to tell me I should've skipped this RR and just done the Suisun crit today instead.

If you join up with SquadraSF with me we can teach them how to race.

Sucks to add the financial injury to the insult of going out to Dunnigan. Can't say I didn't tell you the race and course sucked, but I'm still bummed it turned out like that for you.
Old 08-11-13, 02:56 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
If you join up with SquadraSF with me we can teach them how to race.
Too late, I pretty much sealed the deal with Leopard-Sapporo yesterday after the race.

We can be frenemies next year!! =]

my race videos
Old 08-11-13, 02:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't agreed to anything yet for sure...

tell them to email me!
Old 08-11-13, 03:20 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
mattm - bummer about the wheel.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-11-13, 03:58 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
mattm - bummer about the wheel.
+1
Old 08-11-13, 04:25 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dunningan Hills RR (86 miles)

Cat 3. Result 20's/65 (pack).

I spent the first 40 miles putting myself in breakaways or closely watching attacks. Nothing stuck. So I assumed that nothing was gonna stick like every other time I've done this race. Then with about 30 to go another break goes and suddenly the moto calls out '1:30 to the break' and nobody is chasing. And there is the winning break and I was sitting in the pack deciding between my two flavors of GU gel. The omni-present Squadra had a guy in the move and apparently they were at the front blocking alot which has getting some people pissed. I didnt care either way because I race unattached and I was sitting at the back stewing about missing the break. The only thing i was mad about was not being in the winning move. The final sprint for 'sixth' was cat 5 skechy so i found the safest spot i could and rolled in with everyone else.

*Side note - apparently 5 or 6 guys including one of the podium winners was DQ'd because a race judge caught them peeing on the side of the road after the race. I saw the official standings today at the crit with names crossed off and the burly, bearded judge who DQ'd them told me himself. So we'll see what happens there. I don know if the DQ'd podium guy knows or not. I didnt know any of those guys so whatever.

Susuin Criterium M 3/4

7th/40? (+prime)

I decided that I was gonna make my own race happen after yesterday. I attacked on the second lap and took a prime ($10). Was joined by another guy and we had a little go for few laps before getting caught. I kept myself in the first 5 wheels for pretty much the whole race. The Squarda Borg had like 10 guys in the race so everytime one of them attacked I moved with them. I either bridged to or chased down 5 breaks in that race. I was really hoping one of those moves would stick but nothing organized quickly enough. Despite all that work I was still in a reasonable place going into the final straight. But my 950W sprint is just good enough to lose 10 meters on the people that go really go fast. So I got 7th.

I felt alot better about crit than the RR. Its my 5th straight top 10 in a crit (well a crit that i finished) so thats good. hopefully I can unlock that last lap puzzle in the next few races.

Last edited by save10; 08-11-13 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 04:29 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tour of millersburg.

TT: good - I was nearly a minutes faster than last year; bad - last year was really, really slow. 19 y.o. kid won it.

crit: brutal. less than half the field finished, i was not among that half. scott zwisanski won it.

road race: felt great, half way in got caught behind a crash on a KOM. we were catching a break, sprinting for KOM, and team w #s was putting in a big attack. perfect storm for not getting back on. zwisanski was in the crash, as were 2 other gc guys so i'm not sure how that played into the next several miles, but i was going 35+ mph and going cross eyed and losing ground. scott and a group came around me, i had unfortunately panicked and put too much effort into trying to catch back on and after a few minutes couldnt hold the wheel of the scott z group and at that point knew it was game over. I did a 5 min max for the year after that crash. disappointing because i felt like i was on a good day and i really like this rr, but that's racing. scott z. won the race and gc, very impressive. teammate got into the final selection and took 6th, which is a nice result.
Old 08-11-13, 04:57 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Cracked my (newly replaced) 404 rim on a pothole.
I thought you were all about the Open Pros?

Sucks. FWIW the HED stuff seems to take more abuse without breaking. The generic Chinese stuff is really tough.

I'm not sure how you can DQ anyone for peeing anywhere around Dunnigan, that whole place is pretty much a toilet.
Old 08-11-13, 05:04 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the pothole that broke my fork did basically no damage to the HED 90, other than flattening the tubular
Old 08-11-13, 05:35 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dunnigan Hills RR p/1/2's, 84 miles.

8 AM start, had to get up at 4:30 and roll out by 5 to get to the start in time, ugh..

It was mostly flat, with some rolling hills, and while not super windy, the wind did play a factor.

edit: wow I ended up 38th out of 59, and was one away from DFL.. lots of DNFs.
Similar experience on my end, generally miserable. Only crash was turning right to run parallel 505 to the north, a couple of guys wanted to keep on heading west and were knocked over by the mass of the pack.

We were cruising along at a decent rate and as I was finishing a light pull up a mild hill and starting drop to catch the back of the pack there was an attack. I tried to jump back on the back, but crested the mild hill right into a headwind and gap grew from a few seconds to too many seconds pretty quickly. Managed to catch a few other dropees and we worked together to flats and joined up with some other cast off hodge podged groups. My hamstrings were getting lit up and I started hurting with about 20 miles to go. Was happy to limp it in.

Due to the hamstring pain, I was really hesitant to head down to Suisun for a crit, but figured worst case is I get dropped. So, my only goal was to not get dropped. It ended up being a pretty fast race (by my standard) and I enjoyed it immensely. Hung in with the group and finished with the pack. Success.

I hung around and watched through the P12 race and there were a few crashed throughout the day with a pretty big one in the P12 race. Some guys left in slings. There was some confusion/lack of attentiveness on the officials part and there were times they forgot to flip lap cards and then pulled the peloton with 4 laps to go citing their inability to close the gap in time. Quite a few of the guys weren't happy as they didn't know how many laps were left.

Otherwise, cool event on a lil course.
Old 08-11-13, 06:08 PM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3rd place today at the Torrance crit. came out of the last corner a couple wheels too far back and had to make it up in the long sprint. pretty big headwind helped me out a bit since I was able to slingshot around people
Old 08-11-13, 06:42 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tokeneke was hard. i've done this race twice in the 4s and never made it a full lap with the group. today in the 3s i made it to the base of the finishing climb on the third and final lap. ended up getting popped and finishing just off the back of that group for 24th, but the improvement from years past is more important to me than the result.

just a couple more relatively low key races left this season! hard to believe.
Old 08-11-13, 07:52 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the 2/3 in Boston. You know you want to.
Old 08-11-13, 07:56 PM
island rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
tokeneke was hard.
+1 but only 2 laps for me. I found it harder than either day in the catskills.
Old 08-11-13, 08:20 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Do the 2/3 in Boston. You know you want to.
Which race? Mayors cup? Ill be back at school before then. Ccns kermise then topsfield then it's back to the land of pleasant living.
Old 08-11-13, 08:24 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer. Good luck with everything.
Old 08-11-13, 08:54 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I thought you were all about the Open Pros?
still am; but i've had the zipps for two seasons now and enjoy racing on them - racing is still hard on the them but the pics look better!

i probably would have pinch-flatted with a clincher (a guy in front of me did) anyway..

I'm not sure how you can DQ anyone for peeing anywhere around Dunnigan, that whole place is pretty much a toilet.
lolol

my race videos
Old 08-11-13, 10:00 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still am; but i've had the zipps for two seasons now and enjoy racing on them - racing is still hard on the them but the pics look better!

i probably would have pinch-flatted with a clincher (a guy in front of me did) anyway..
bummer. curious--what tire size and pressure...and what's your weight?

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Sucks. FWIW the HED stuff seems to take more abuse without breaking.
also generally heavier for a given depth--maybe a bit more resistant to this sort of thing?

(i have HED and zipp wheels, for full disclosure.)
Old 08-11-13, 11:21 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by tetonrider
bummer. curious--what tire size and pressure...and what's your weight?
23's, it was a bit low on pressure actually which didnt help.. i'm 155#.

and my favorite color is blue.

my race videos
Old 08-12-13, 06:52 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
tokeneke was hard. i've done this race twice in the 4s and never made it a full lap with the group. today in the 3s i made it to the base of the finishing climb on the third and final lap. ended up getting popped and finishing just off the back of that group for 24th, but the improvement from years past is more important to me than the result.

just a couple more relatively low key races left this season! hard to believe.
Mikey, did the pack stay together until the last lap or did things start blowing up earlier?
Old 08-12-13, 07:00 AM
ovoleg