Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Madone 2.1 for $Specialized Allez Comp Apex Mid Compact both new and on sale

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Madone 2.1 for $Specialized Allez Comp Apex Mid Compact both new and on sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 08:49 PM
Hodgenutts

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Both bikes are on sale new. Not sure which is the better deal as I am unfamiliar with SPRAM APEX components and I'm not sure what line in quality of Shimano components they compare to.

Which do you think is the better deal?

Specialized Allez Comp Apex Mid Compact (Bike is white not pictured on website) for $1200
https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/r...mpact#features

or

Trek Madone 2.1 (Bike is black and grey as pictured on website) for $1299
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...s/madone_2_1/#

Note: both bikes are brand new with warranty

I was looking at a Trek 1.2 brand new for $899 but the shop told me he thought both of the other bikes listed above would be better choices. Like I said no sure were the APEX components compare to Shimano. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-12-13, 09:06 PM
decycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apex is between Tiagra and 105. But I can't say Shimano or Sram is better than the other. If you like double tap, go for Sram. If you like dual control levers, go for Shimano. It's a matter of personal preference.

2.1 and Allez comp are both entry level road bikes. Demo them both and see which one you like better. But in this price range you can probably find a CAAD10 on sale which is much better bike.
Old 08-12-13, 09:08 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Both fine bikes, as both have a nice group. As for the Apex and 105 comparison. They will both shift just fine...the issue is that they are different groups and you will have to see which one you like best by riding both bikes. Some prefer Shimano levers while others like the hoods on Sram levers. If they have both bikes in your size go for as long a test ride as the shop will allow and then make your decision, either way you will walk away with a nice bike.
Old 08-13-13, 07:38 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by decycle
But in this price range you can probably find a CAAD10 on sale which is much better bike.
that may or may not be a true statement. imho, the Allez and CAAD10 are more similar than different, both better than the trek though, but that's not to say the trek is a bad bike at all. get the one that fits you best. apex vs. 105 is a personal preference thing, I like the double tap shifting far better than shimano shifters, shimano tends to be a bit smoother, SRAM is lighter across the board than its shimano peers. neither are better/worse than the other so pick the group that works best for you. in the end, in this price range, all bikes are going to be of similar quality and specs, pick the one that fits you best, if several fit you equally, pick the one that has the best colors.
Old 08-13-13, 01:16 PM
Hodgenutts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well someone told me the frame and wheels are more important than components (not sure how much that's true in reguards to cheap components or where the cutoff of acceptable to be when looking at components vs frame)

Anyway they have the Madone 2.3 for $1820.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...3_h2_compact/#

They won't move off of the price but will move on the Madone 2.1 down to $1299.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is better brakes, slightly better seatpost and tires(not sure how much better wheels actually are). But wasn't sure if those 3 upgrades were worth the $520 dollar difference or if I could just get better wheels and breaks than the 2.3 has for the $520 difference and put them on the 2.1...?
Old 08-13-13, 01:19 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Both fine bikes, as both have a nice group. As for the Apex and 105 comparison. They will both shift just fine...the issue is that they are different groups and you will have to see which one you like best by riding both bikes. Some prefer Shimano levers while others like the hoods on Sram levers. If they have both bikes in your size go for as long a test ride as the shop will allow and then make your decision, either way you will walk away with a nice bike.
Be sure to call ahead and check the store policy on what equipment/attire is required to ride their precious bikes (see thread about test riding LBS bikes if confused)
Old 08-13-13, 01:25 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Be sure to call ahead and check the store policy on what equipment/attire is required to ride their precious bikes (see thread about test riding LBS bikes if confused)
Old 08-13-13, 02:24 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hodgenutts
Both bikes are on sale new. Not sure which is the better deal as I am unfamiliar with SPRAM APEX components and I'm not sure what line in quality of Shimano components they compare to.

Which do you think is the better deal?

Specialized Allez Comp Apex Mid Compact (Bike is white not pictured on website) for $1200
https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/r...mpact#features

or

Trek Madone 2.1 (Bike is black and grey as pictured on website) for $1299

Note: both bikes are brand new with warranty

I was looking at a Trek 1.2 brand new for $899 but the shop told me he thought both of the other bikes listed above would be better choices. Like I said no sure were the APEX components compare to Shimano. Thanks for the input.
I was looking at both the same bikes. With all things being tied (bikes rode great, have comparable components etc) I picked the bike store that I had the best feel about (the people!!). In the end I waited a few months and bought the Madone 4.5 for just a few hundred dollars more at $1999, so glad I waited!!!
Old 08-16-13, 09:18 PM
Hodgenutts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after all of that, the dealer offered me a new Madone 2:3 for $1400

This bike:

The test ride was nice

So I bought it. Hope this makes a good first bike
Old 08-16-13, 09:24 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, that makes a great first bike. Alot of people started with less. Be happy and ride much.
Old 08-16-13, 09:29 PM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

This bike:

The test ride was nice

I don't think you did too bad at $1400 for that bike. You have an almost a complete 105 group with at least a Shimano crank instead of an FSA crank (this is a good thing). You also got the 105 brakes. Ride the crap out of it.
Old 08-16-13, 09:55 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This bike:

The test ride was nice

I checked the specs on the link and that's a well equipped bike. You can get lots of quality miles out of it, have FUN!! (and keep it indoors when not riding!!)
Old 08-16-13, 10:00 PM
Hodgenutts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. Yes I will need to get myseld well educated on maintenance. I want the bike to last me a while.
Old 08-17-13, 02:26 PM
Hodgenutts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I need to raise the seatpost. Not much but just a little. I notice is states " 9 nm max" I'm assuming because of the carbon post. The LBS gave me a 4 mm 5 nm hand tool that is shaped like a "T " for adjusting the handle bars.

I'm away from home and I'm not sure what the name of this tool is that I'm looking for. Was curious if someone could please help a noob out. Thanks