Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How Often Do You Ride In A Motor Vehicle?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How Often Do You Ride In A Motor Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 11:00 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Car free people, how often do you ride in a motor vehicle? By motor vehicle I mean private car, taxi, city bus, Greyhound bus, etc. Please include where you live; ie big metropolitan area, small city, rural, etc.

I live in Riga, Latvia (big city), I own a car and I ride in a motor vehicle about three times a month. This is the summer/winter average.
Old 09-19-05, 11:30 PM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Frankfurt and ride in a motor vehicle twice a year.
Old 09-19-05, 11:34 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, I hopped a ride in a motor vehicle at least once a month over the last few months of being car free, I should keep track because it's been like 1-2 times a month I think. And in the winter months I'm looking at renting a car once a month, for those four months.
Old 09-19-05, 11:35 PM
Inoplanetyanin

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Los Angeles here. Once a month to let the engine run and change the space on the parking lot.
Old 09-20-05, 06:30 AM
BenyBen
winter is comming

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Montreal, Quebec, Canada (big city)

I'd say once a week at least. My gf doesn't rely on the bike for transport and I often get around town with her. Mostly we use busses and the metro, but we do use our share of cabs.
Old 09-20-05, 06:43 AM
primaryreality
Embrace the weirdness.

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Sacramento, and ride the bus once a week to an appt. across town that is reachable by bike but to which I don't want to arrive hot and sweaty; this works out well because it gives me a built-in rest day, since I bike everywhere on the other six days.

I occasionally have to take the bus somewhere for work during work, but I still go to and from work by bike.

My daughter who lives with me has a car, but I very rarely ride in it and even more rarely borrow it. I strongly dislike being in cars--even as a passenger--and driving. If I have to go motor for some reason, I actually prefer the bus.
Old 09-21-05, 11:53 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use a combination of taxis for my elderly mother, buses 2-3 times a week for business, light rail train for some trips, and of course my faithful bikes for almost everthing else.
Old 09-21-05, 05:08 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I live in a midsized city. I drive a couple times a month during my five day visit to my dad 200 miles away. I take the Greyhound bus to get to his house and back home. When home, I ride in a friend's car an average of once a week or less. Taxis are for emergencies only. I take a city bus rarely -- usually only if I'm injured, or my bike is. In very icy weather I usually walk. Sometimes I use a rowboat for a little ride.
Old 09-21-05, 09:06 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take about 6 motor vehicle trips per week. A couple of them being inter-city bus trips, because on the weekends I stay with my girlfriend who's a 90 minute bus ride away, and on weekdays I stay in Philadelphia for school. The rest are generally for laundry, groceries, or recreational trips, usually half a mile to 3 miles each way. (my 6 trips are counting a trip to the grocery store as 2 trips.) I very rarely drive anywhere alone. But my girlfriend, who owns the car we use, definitely influences me towards car-usage from time to time. However, she's talking about moving to Philly and selling her car, as it would be easier for her to do without a car here.
Old 09-21-05, 11:02 PM
swinglespeed

Bikes: tried to list them all, but i guess i have limited space, huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i try to avoid anything that isn't human powered. i'm not some hardcore environmentalist. i just love the feeling of getting myself from point A to point B. i am in control. i am the power. i am the human 'outside' of the machine... there is no "humanpower" classification... as far as i know. horses are strong... so to receive a horsepower classification... well, you had better be worth your oats!
Old 09-21-05, 11:30 PM
swinglespeed

Bikes: tried to list them all, but i guess i have limited space, huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't hate a 'newbie', please? i am just new here. i would love to talk about anything bicycle related. i have ridden bikes since i was able to do so, and i have been working in the industry for a fourth of my life. i may not know everything, but i like to know, and i like to learn.

contact me... or whatever.
Old 09-22-05, 02:27 PM
KristenGilbert

Bikes: Avanlanche 2.0 GT 2005-My second

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple times a week. I date someone with a car and they prefer to drive. If we go out, he drives us. Also, if I have an appointment I can't ride to or an errand that's farther away, I take public transit.
Old 09-22-05, 03:19 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually if you count the train, fairly often. At least once a week but I think on average more than that.
Old 09-23-05, 10:06 PM
LY2KW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fairly often, if trains count. For some reason I got addicted to delivering my self and my bike to somewhere out of Vilnius (up to two train hours) and then finding a path home on two wheels. Unlike busses, trains are pretty much bike-friendly here. Should be similar up North in Latvia (as far as I remember, our countries are neighboring).

My driver's license is over 10 years old, I have no idea if it is still valid or it needs to be renewed. I never owned a car, but still happen to become a passenger. Two times a month. Max.
Old 09-28-05, 12:33 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madison WI, maybe once or twice a month.
Old 09-28-05, 03:52 PM
Pampusik
File Not Found

Bikes: two two-wheeled types

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a couple times a month... and, each time, it's a carpool trip!
Old 09-30-05, 06:57 PM
jmbranum
proud okie

Bikes: Schwinn Sierra Hybrid, old schwinn MTB, Graziella folding bicycle (one speed Italian), miscellaneous other bike parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
once a week, to visit a friend who lives further than I can ride easily (for now, I hope to get in better shape over time)
Old 10-01-05, 12:37 AM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Car free people, how often do you ride in a motor vehicle? By motor vehicle I mean private car, taxi, city bus, Greyhound bus, etc. Please include where you live; ie big metropolitan area, small city, rural, etc.

I live in Riga, Latvia (big city), I own a car and I ride in a motor vehicle about three times a month. This is the summer/winter average.
I live in Toronto. I drive a car usually only once a year, when I borrow a car at Christmas since its the only way to visit both my boyfriend's family in the country and my family in a short time frame. I might take a taxi 3 times a year. Going somewhere via carpool (about 4 people in the car) may be about a once a month occurence. I've probably taken public transit (subway/streetcar/bus) less than 5 times in the last 6 months, I'm more inclined when there's a crappy snowstorm.
Old 10-01-05, 01:16 AM
Gojohnnygo.
Burn-em Upus Icephaltus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
197 days(give or take) and I live in the mountains miles from the city. Riding in a car makes me feel sick.

Why in the hell do I keep paying for car insurance?
Old 10-01-05, 11:28 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I live in a city of around 500,000. I take a bus maybe once every three months, and the occasional train ride to Brisbane, but that's about it. The rest of the time I just ride -- over 17,000km so far this year.

That is all.
Old 10-03-05, 07:39 PM
rickwilliams

Bikes: Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a city of 100,000 people. The metro area including the surrounding county is about double that. The downtown and inner neighborhoods are great places for bicycling. The city edges and the surrounding county are nauseating sprawl. I am virtually car free but my family is not. I use use a motor vehicle on average about three or four times a month. That's usually when
1. I have to carry something I can't manage on a bike (borrowed pickup to get stable bedding from a local college for my garden, for example).
2. I carpool with someone from work to go out to lunch.
3. I not feeling well enough to bike to work but not sick enough to stay home so I ride the bus.
4. I go to visit my mom who lives out in the country 60 miles away.
Old 10-03-05, 08:36 PM
Simplebiker

Bikes: 2002 Specialized Sirrus A1, 2000 Raleigh R500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Including the train, probably on average once a week. Without the train I'd say an average of twice a month. I ride the bus or take a taxi a few on rare occasions. I'll be going on a vacation in November using a car for 5 days straight. My wife keeps telling me a I better not bring my bike. We'll see about that.
Old 10-05-05, 05:47 PM
af895

Bikes: 2003 KHS F20-Westwood folding & enough parts to make several more bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For about 5 years, I drove 2 hours a day, minimum.

For the past 6 months, I've either worked at my home office or at an office downtown where I can bus faster than I can drive during rush hour.

These days, the car gets out of the garage - maybe once a month? I'm thinking of ditching it but a bit apprehensive...

Last edited by af895; 10-09-05 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 10:12 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a car-free wannabe and used my car about once a week to get to the band practice. My car broke down in july and haven't fixed it yet so I used public transport. I even carried my bass and amplifier head on my bike once but I won't anymore because I'm scared of breaking the amp head. During winter, the car is main mode of transportation. Despite living in a large city (Montreal), the office is located at an odd place with no public transport so it's the bike or car and I'm not quite ready to commute by bike all winter.
Old 10-13-05, 01:59 PM
stupferich2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, i live in a very small southern town...maybe 30-40,000 people in the whole county. i ride my bike every day to and from work and errands. i have two cars. one my wife uses to haul our kids, and the other is in a million pieces in my garage suffering from a blown cylinder head. its been that way for ever because i just cannot get up the effort to sinking all that money in parts for that car when i can use it on my bikes. if we ever go anywhere i ride in the car with the family and she drives. so i can say that i have divorced the car since i ride only like once a week or so in one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.