Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How would Castelli sizing compare with Garneau?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 10:57 PM
Tesgin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a Louis Garneau Mondo Evo bib short, which I absolutely LOVE, btw. I wear a Large, and it fits perfectly.

I'm looking at getting some Castelli bib shorts (thinking about the Endurance, or possibly the NanoFlex).

I know Castelli runs small, from what I'm reading, but I do read some mixed reviews on this.

So, my question:

If I'm a large in Garneau, would that prolly translate into XL in Castelli? Would that be a safe assumption?

BTW, I'm about 5'8" and 170 lbs, with a 33-34 waste, 40 chest.

Thanks in advance,
Tesgin

Last edited by Tesgin; 08-18-13 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 11:24 PM
decycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesgin
If I'm a large in Garneau, would that prolly translate into XL in Castelli? Would that be a safe assumption?
Yes. You are right.

I wear Medium in LG and Large in Castelli. And they don't run small. They are euro sized. LG's run big because they are american sized
Old 08-18-13, 11:45 PM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the porgetto X2 pad in the endurance is way better than the nanoflex kiss 3 pad, that being said the nanoflex is great for the cold damp weather
Old 08-19-13, 12:08 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
The Progetto X2 Air chamois is fantastic - I just rode a century with one on Saturday. The Free Aero Race is my new favorite long distance bib.

As for fit, they are more snug than my equally sized giordano bibs and at least one size smaller than my craft, descente or sugoi bibs but only maybe a half size smaller than my pearl izumi pro shorts (one size smaller than my elite shorts though, go figure)
Old 08-19-13, 12:56 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'd be an XL in Castelli.
I can wear S/M in Sugoi, but have to go L in Castelli.
I'm about 5'8"-5'-9" about 153-155lbs(I fluctuate).
I find the shoulder straps on castelli run small so definitely go up a size.
Old 08-19-13, 06:50 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing to consider is that in my experience that LG's run long and Castelli's are shorter. I wish we had a clothing comparison thread.
Old 08-19-13, 09:12 AM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kleng
the porgetto X2 pad in the endurance is way better than the nanoflex kiss 3 pad, that being said the nanoflex is great for the cold damp weather
Yeah, that's a dilemma for me. I've heard how much better the progetto is, but I'm attracted to the Nanoflex fabric. Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-19-13, 09:13 AM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. That's what I was suspecting.
Old 08-19-13, 09:17 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
You'd be an XL in Castelli.
I can wear S/M in Sugoi, but have to go L in Castelli.
I'm about 5'8"-5'-9" about 153-155lbs(I fluctuate).
I find the shoulder straps on castelli run small so definitely go up a size.
OK, weird. Because I wear XL in Sugoi, but the one set of XL Castelli's that I've had was too big, with straps way too long.

Maybe that's only for the larger Castelli sizes?
Old 08-19-13, 09:22 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a medium in Gore, Bellwether, Specialized, and LG but medium Sugoi's are way small on me. Don't own the Specialized or LG's but tried some on last week. All way too long on me. Gore's are by far my favorite as far as fit goes.
Old 08-19-13, 09:51 AM
Angelo19

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'10", 160 lbs and wear a large in castelli. I did have a large garneau, but they're 2 years old and I was 173is at the time. I've tried on a couple of garneaus lately and medium is more inline now with my size. BTW, the free aero castellis have a lot more compression than the volossimo castellis. If I were to do it again, I might opt for XL in the free aero.

Off topic sort of, can anyone compare the progetto chamois to the garneau airgel? I'm looking to get a pair of thermal bibs, and I'm ok with the kiss3 pad, just wondered if the airgel is better.
Old 08-19-13, 11:57 AM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's a dilemma for me. I've heard how much better the progetto is, but I'm attracted to the Nanoflex fabric. Decisions, decisions...
Coming from the top of the range LG mondo evo, I don't think you'll be happy with anything less than the Free Aero design and porgetto pad.
Depending on the conditions your riding in, you could go with the nanoflex leg warmers and knee warmers instead of the nanoflex bibs
Old 08-19-13, 03:15 PM
Taipei325

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Castelli is even more confusing...as it depends on the clothing line.

For LG, I wear the elite tri suit in an M with what I consider a perfect fit. I'm 180cm, 73kg, swimmer's upper body/shoulders.

In Castelli, I usually wear M jerseys. However, I recently bought the climber's jersey and needed a L. Not only was the torso on the M too short for me, the arms, which are supposed to be form fitting for aero reasons, were soooooooooo tight. The L is still tight around the shoulders and arms, but fine for the rest of me. And very comfortable jersey btw!.
Old 08-19-13, 03:39 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man those sizing charts are bullcrap then! I am 5'11" 190# +/- and I just ordered a San Remo Speedsuit 2.0 in large. Of course I dont expect to fin in it right now but I thought that if I were to go to 180# I would be fine within a month. I am 33-34 waist and 42 chest. The chart size that castelli put up said I was large for those measures. I wear either Large or XL on giordanna and large on Gore. BTW GORE FTW!
Old 08-19-13, 11:22 PM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kleng
Coming from the top of the range LG mondo evo, I don't think you'll be happy with anything less than the Free Aero design and porgetto pad.
Depending on the conditions your riding in, you could go with the nanoflex leg warmers and knee warmers instead of the nanoflex bibs
Now, that's helpful. What about the Endurance bib, which has the Progetto pad? Would I be happy with that?

I am at a loss to figure out what to do for a thermal bib. I'm in Central PA (Hershey/Lancaster area). Winters aren't "horrible," but in Jan - Mar it'll be low '20s to mid-30s, and pretty windy. I like riding in winter. Usually 20-25 miles or so, longer when I can. Last year I wore Izumi Select Thermal bibs. They were absolutely fine for warmth, but the pad is not in the same league as the LG 4Motion. Plus I've lost a lot of weight and now they don't fit.

I bought a LG Gemini 3 which gets great reviews as a thermal bib; it has the airzone pad, which I'm not crazy about. It's "okay" but in comparison with the 4Motion pad in the Mondo Evo, it's a huge step down. I haven't decided whether I'll keep it. I've got 30 days to return it. I haven't ridden in it yet.

I have seen the Izumi P.R.O. Thermal Bib Knickers for $92 on CleanSnipe. That might be an option. Could anyone comment on how THAT pad would compare with my 4Motion from the Mondo Evo?

Another possibility is the DeMarchi Contour Plus Winter Bib Shorts ($62): anyone know how that compares with the regular Contour Plus? I hear great reviews on those. I tried the DeMarchi Contour EVO RX Cycling Bib Shorts, which are supposedly a step or two up from the Plus. Returned 'em. Didn't like 'em at all: the straps bunched up and there were a lot of wrinkles by my upper thighs just below the pad. I was too concerned about chafing. I'm hunching that if I didn't like those, I wouldn't be satisfied with the Contour Plus either.

I thought about the Sugoi RSE stuff, but I'm reading a LOT of people -- though they swear by the comfort of the fit -- are giving it a thumbs-down cuz of terrible durability issues.

So, there you have it. I'm at a loss. I'm pad-spoiled. After the 4Motion, I'm concerned about how satisfied I'd be with the Kiss3. I don't know where to go with winter bibs for this year. HELP!

Thanks in advance. This discussion is very helpful.

Tesgin
Old 08-20-13, 02:18 AM
kleng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or maybe you could just wear windproof tights underneath the mondo evo.

https://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.p...color_code=027

Last edited by kleng; 08-20-13 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 03:31 PM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, kleng.

I am finding a great deal on the Pearl Izumi PRO thermal bib knickers, $99 USA. Would I be satisfied with that pad do you think? Any thoughts on how it might compare with my LG Mondo Evo?

I'm also finding tempting prices on the Nanoflex bibs and tights ($118 USA), but I am dissuaded by your cautionary note above.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on this...

Thanks
Tesgin
Old 08-21-13, 06:12 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends on whether or not the bib is a compressive fit. LG compressive bibs I wear medium, non compressive LGs I wear small. Same goes for Castelli. Body Paint I'll wear Medium, but Endurance I'll wear small. I'm about 5'8 160. I do like my bibs snugger to "keep things in place".
Old 08-21-13, 06:56 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have worn the LG mondo bibs in a size large. I am an XL in castelli.
Old 08-21-13, 07:37 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of large castelli bibs that fit just slightly tighter than large Tenn and Hincapie bibs I have. I have a pair of LG shorts that are medium. For jerseys, it's the same - XL in Castelli and most of the others are just L. I am 5'11" 170 lbs for comparison. My jerseys are form fitting but nowhere near as tight as the pros wear. I don't like having to peel them off, particularly the 3/4 and 1/2 zip ones.
Old 08-21-13, 08:16 PM
kleng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, kleng.

I am finding a great deal on the Pearl Izumi PRO thermal bib knickers, $99 USA. Would I be satisfied with that pad do you think? Any thoughts on how it might compare with my LG Mondo Evo?

I'm also finding tempting prices on the Nanoflex bibs and tights ($118 USA), but I am dissuaded by your cautionary note above.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on this...

Thanks
Tesgin
I reckon the padding will be great in Pearls, I've been riding the progetto X2's for long time so I would not be able to go back to the Kiss 3 less dense padding
Old 08-21-13, 08:23 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Castelli Sanremo Speed suit. Is is Body paint bottom and Free Aero Race top. Size Large. I am 5'11" and 190 +/- pounds. It fits a little tight but I think that if I lose another 10 lbs. I'll be fine. My only concern is the arm width. They are rather VERY tight on the arms.

Old 08-21-13, 09:12 PM
Tesgin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And here's another option: the DeMarchi Contour Plus Thermal Bibs. I posted this earlier...

Another possibility is the DeMarchi Contour Plus Winter Bib Shorts ($62): anyone know how that compares with the regular Contour Plus? I hear great reviews on those. I tried the DeMarchi Contour EVO RX Cycling Bib Shorts, which are supposedly a step or two up from the Plus. Returned 'em. Didn't like 'em at all: the straps bunched up and there were a lot of wrinkles by my upper thighs just below the pad. I was too concerned about chafing. I'm hunching that if I didn't like those, I wouldn't be satisfied with the Contour Plus either.
I'd really be interested in peoples' thoughts on these. I'm just not sure I'd like the pad. BUT, this is a $200 pair of bibs going for $62!