Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 07:56 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Your wife is brilliant!
Old 08-21-13, 09:27 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Heal up AJ.
Old 08-21-13, 10:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Worst. Deli. Ever.
Old 08-21-13, 10:42 AM
Colonelmom

Bikes: Giant, Jamis fixie, Orbea Orca; Ceverlo P2SL TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
The deli cup taped over the scrapes worked! No sticking to the sheet and allowing it to air out. Clip and save the idea.
AJ heal quick Tagaderm works wonders... I have some on my leg right now where I managed to scratch my leg getting off the bike because of my bee sting... but you can leave it on for days... wear it in shower.. no scabbing... heals faster..no sticking to the sheets...etc...conforms to the joint as well...
Old 08-21-13, 12:02 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

After an email exchange with Ex yesterday, I've decided to bail on the road race and contest a Race of Truth on Sunday instead. As he pointed out, there is a 60+ women's field. Plus, he'll be there. And, Winters as a course doesn't suit me, plus I'm not on form enough to really do much there. So, I'll go out of this season exactly like I started - bailing on a road race and doing a time trial. Full circle! Fitting.
Old 08-21-13, 01:19 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sara- unless its the rare occasion where I need to help a team mate or support the team at our races, I usually will pick and choose the race and discipline that offers me the best result or training. The TT fits your needs and you should not think twice about the decision.
Old 08-21-13, 01:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Sara- unless its the rare occasion where I need to help a team mate or support the team at our races, I usually will pick and choose the race and discipline that offers me the best result or training. The TT fits your needs and you should not think twice about the decision.
+1
Old 08-21-13, 02:34 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I agree, guys - Ex was dead on, the decision is a good one. I'd like to have done both (and still could), but Ex feels that the road race will take too much out of me and the TT will suffer as a result. He knows me better than I do!
Old 08-21-13, 08:43 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AJ, I think you should consider this kit for whenever you even think about getting into cross mode:

Old 08-21-13, 08:57 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
He knows me better than I do!
Funny how that works. I had to miss the practice crit this week because of back-to-school stuff, so I asked Ex for an alternative workout to do yesterday morning. I was sure it would be a criss-cross "X" workout, which is what I would have done if left to my own devices. Nope. It was 3 x 10 at fast pace on the TT bike. Made perfect sense after I had done it and thought about it. State TT is coming up, so training TT will help get me at least somewhat better for that, and will help for Sunday's RR as well. Today was an hour of pace, with half of it in the 53-11, again on the TT bike. I'm looking forward to the race Sunday. I plan to sit in, but watch for any split when we go uphill and try to be on the right side of it. It's a combined 40+/50+ Cat 4/5. If I were in shape, I'd attack the heck out of it. It will be a small field, and a break of 2-3 could stay away. The climb is just a bit over a minute long, and that is a duration where you can just bury yourself and then recover.
Old 08-22-13, 08:04 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
AJ, I think you should consider this kit for whenever you even think about getting into cross mode:

Looks like it will work! I would need to make sure I get some armor piercing pins in order to affix my race number.

I did take Colonelmon's advice and got the Tegrederm patches yesterday. Thanks for the tip! I purchased a package of 4 but will buy an assorted sized inventory for the next time's.
Old 08-22-13, 10:11 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I could have/should have used Tagaderm on my knee. Three weeks later and it's finally closed completely up. It's been a real bother. Lesson learned!
Old 08-22-13, 06:40 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got in the two hr ride with 1 hr of a increased intensity interval on the MTB trail tonight. It was the aborted workout I was heading out to when I crashed on Tue. Riding over rooty MTB trails on a cross bike is a bone shaker. I thought the last 15' of the interval @ Z4 would be difficult. The difficult part of the interval was keeping the HR in the assigned Z3 ranges. Only touched the ground two times and only with my shoes when I dismounted to go around a drop and some large rocks that I feared pinching the size 32 mm tires into.

After getting my butt kicked doing the endo I needed to get right back on the horse. My arm is still sore but it was not limiting.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 08-22-13 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 11:41 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 2,838 Times in 1,593 Posts
We made to Roger's session with 15 minutes to spare and hooked up with Cleave. We did the two interval sessions and the motor game. Good times.
Old 08-23-13, 07:58 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Heading for Clear Lake in a little while for five days up there. I'll do a recovery ride on the TT bike today, then go to Vacaville tomorrow to ride with RR and her SO. I won't be racing the Winters road race tomorrow. I'll do an openers ride instead, saving matches for the TT at Castro Valley on Sunday (Tempus Fugit ITT, Red Kite Series). I'll see Ex at the TT. I'm also "interviewing" for a team for next season while at the TT. It's going to be a fun weekend!

This should wrap up my season, although if I can find a crit or something in September I might be tempted! October will be a "down month" because I'll be off the bike for 12 days due to a school I have to attend in Texas. I might ship a bike down there (if I can afford it) so I can at least keep some of my hard-fought fitness.
Old 08-23-13, 10:49 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
We made to Roger's session with 15 minutes to spare and hooked up with Cleave. We did the two interval sessions and the motor game. Good times.
Yep, always good to see Hermes and Velo Diva in-person. Fun (sort of ) to do intervals at the track again after being away for about a month.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 08-24-13, 04:09 PM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First real track-specific workout in several weeks. Needed that. Love that kind of burn. Basically: 5 kilos, 5 kilos, 10x500m.
Old 08-24-13, 06:52 PM
caloso

Well, I am getting a little tired of getting dropped on Cantelow. (Winters RR). Climbers don't even consider it a climbing race, but it's always enough to shed my fat ass. At least now I have a discrete training goal for 2014.
Old 08-25-13, 04:18 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Somewhat strange training week...nominally a recovery week, had two nice hour-long recovery rides, one with a hrTSS of 41 and the other with a TSS of 22.6. Three other rides that ended up with TSS of 133, 156 and 155. One of those last three should've been ~TSS 100, but I was feeling froggy and when some of the guys on the group ride yesterday asked if anyone wanted to go farther and faster, I jumped. Bad Chuck, bad Chuck! Note to self - no long pulls when you're the only guy without aerobars.

Racing is over here, but I had to set some goals to give myself (and my coach) something to work with/toward. Right now I've set the Austin Livestrong Challenge as the next one, with a mid-February circuit race/crit weekend in the San Antonio/Austin area as a follow on, and Rouge-Roubaix in mid-March next. You folks on the Left Coast have it made when it comes to racing.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-27-13, 06:57 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Changing seasons means changing bikes. I still may do one Crit on Sept 8 but no RR's. There are still a few Fast Friday Track races, the first cyclo cross races begin in two weeks and the Iceman Comenth MTB race in MI is my fall A race.

Training is also in transition after a little break from the NSG and Masters Track Nats. In the past four days I have done a 2 hr road bike group ride in PA, two hrs on the cross bike with 1 hr of the ride on MTB trails with a Z3/4 HR, 2 hrs on the MTB at a easy smooth pace, and tonight I have Z5b two minute intervals that I plan to do on the track.

It's a bicycle quadfecta! Maybe when it rains tomorrow I will get some trainer or roller riding in.. At this time of the year the TT bike can continue hanging in the garage.
Old 08-27-13, 08:27 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Somehow I got an abrasion or saddlesore from my mini track camp and racing last week. I showed up on race day Sunday and hurt like hell. It is on the scrotum (TMI). I went to the demo yesterday and saw the physicians assistant who is a woman. The last time I saw her it was for a saddle sore. I feel like every time I see her she is doing close inspection of the netherlands. However, she is a magician and it is much better today.
Old 08-27-13, 09:17 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Somehow I got an abrasion or saddlesore from my mini track camp and racing last week. I showed up on race day Sunday and hurt like hell. It is on the scrotum (TMI). I went to the demo yesterday and saw the physicians assistant who is a woman. The last time I saw her it was for a saddle sore. I feel like every time I see her she is doing close inspection of the netherlands. However, she is a magician and it is much better today.
This is a rich vein to be mined this is.
Old 08-27-13, 09:34 AM
VanceMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rich.. vein... hahaha.
Old 08-27-13, 02:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I knew you guys needed some material to spice up your lives.
Old 08-27-13, 03:07 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I knew you guys needed some material to spice up your lives.
I know about HIPAA from work and refuse to participate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.