Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

U-Lock Mounting On Rear Rack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

U-Lock Mounting On Rear Rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 09:30 PM
Bikeforumuser0011

Bikes: Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
U-Lock Rack Mounting

My apologies if this thread already exists, and if it does, please point me to it!

I am trying to find something to hold my OnGuard lock. I have a Dutch-style (step-through) frame, so I cannot use the little bracket that came with it. I was thinking of getting these, but I'm not sure. For now, I am putting it in my Koki Flow (which I am considering returning & using my Sherpani Access LE Daypack which I strap onto my cargo cradle) which works out alright. I wish the Koki was just a little bit bigger, because then it would suit my needs tbetter. I'm still trying to find a solution to carry my MacBook, heavy books and such, but have yet to find one that does not cause me to fall over - reason why I ditched the panniers.

Thoughts?

Another thing, I broke down (thanks to the ride on Sunday night) and got were the Monkey Light 210's for my wheels. I heard that for optimal effect with the 210's you should put two on each wheel, but I am afraid that will add weight, as I already have tire liners in my wheels and don't really want to add much more weight.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-13, 09:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,796 Times in 2,587 Posts
I have an Ortlieb commuting pannier, and I keep my u lock in it when riding. Those clips are awfully expensive for something like that.
Old 09-19-13, 02:21 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
On top of rear rack, held by bungee chord.
Old 09-19-13, 06:35 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also stick mine in a pannier. The bracket thing that came with the lock is too small for my top tube.
Old 09-19-13, 07:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,842 Posts
Bungee cargo net on the top of my rack. The bracket that came with it was attached to a bike I sold probably 2 bikes ago. Whoops. Didn't really keep the lock in anyway on any decent bumps.

Old 09-19-13, 11:02 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LiteraryChic
My apologies if this thread already exists, and if it does, please point me to it!

I am trying to find something to hold my OnGuard lock. I have a Dutch-style (step-through) frame, so I cannot use the little bracket that came with it. I was thinking of getting these, but I'm not sure. For now, I am putting it in my Koki Flow (which I am considering returning & using my Sherpani Access LE Daypack which I strap onto my cargo cradle) which works out alright. I wish the Koki was just a little bit bigger, because then it would suit my needs tbetter. I'm still trying to find a solution to carry my MacBook, heavy books and such, but have yet to find one that does not cause me to fall over - reason why I ditched the panniers.

Thoughts?

Another thing, I broke down (thanks to the ride on Sunday night) and got were the Monkey Light 210's for my wheels. I heard that for optimal effect with the 210's you should put two on each wheel, but I am afraid that will add weight, as I already have tire liners in my wheels and don't really want to add much more weight.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Rather than point it out, I'm going to merge this one with your other one that is just over two weeks old.
Old 09-20-13, 10:09 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
This is is how I do it. My rack has. U lock storage built right in. This is a Topeak quick track rack

Old 09-21-13, 07:37 PM
Bikeforumuser0011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
This is is how I do it. My rack has. U lock storage built right in. This is a Topeak quick track rack

I wish I had known about these racks before I purchased my Transit TS-1, but I broke down & bought the Abus clips on Amazon because I was sick of slinging it on my cargo cradle & had a credit woth Amazon, so it worked out. I'll just have to wait & see when it arrives in a few days.

Nice bike. Your lock will come in handy to bump someone from behind ... LOL.
Old 09-21-13, 07:38 PM
Bikeforumuser0011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Rather than point it out, I'm going to merge this one with your other one that is just over two weeks old.
Thanks!