Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's up with 400W?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's up with 400W?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 04:57 PM
AdelaaR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Not necessarily. You could use the force of the wind as something to "lean against" and actually spend LESS energy track standing.
KATCHING!
This thread just got more interesting
Old 09-25-13, 04:59 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by somedood
I think I may have misunderstood what he was saying. Changing the grade of the hill doesn't change the downward force of gravity, but since we're moving up force has to be applied to move upwards to compensate, and using the mechanical advantage of the hill/lever decreases the downward component in exchange for distance.

So, nevermind.

Edit : More clear for my tiny brain would be to say that the amount of work required to move the same distance has doubled when the grade doubles.
Bingo.

On level ground, even though the force of gravity is the same there's no change in vertical distance so there's no work done in the same (or opposite) direction of the gravitational force. (There's still going to be work done to overcome drag and mechanical losses.)

If you're gaining altitude, though, you need to do work against the force of gravity to gain that altitude, and that takes energy and thus power.

If you're descending, the force of gravity, for lack of a better word, does work on you and you go faster. Or heat up your brakes.
Old 09-25-13, 04:59 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I remember that that quote and thought it was coffee-out-the-nose funny

I was also dismayed, but not surprised, by the heavy handed action of the moderator.
I made the comment to a Mod, and he thought it was funny too. I guess another Mod thought otherwise.
Old 09-25-13, 05:00 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That is not necessarily true. The wind makes it harder to pedal in a certain gear than without it AT THE SAME SPEED. Or it can make the difficulty (force) of pedaling the same at different speeds.
In general yes. But given the conditions set forth, no.

The general unbounded case of any wind, any speed, any cadence is somewhat difficult to solve for....
Old 09-25-13, 05:06 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe we have overlooked something:
If you apply more torque to the pedals, you will squish the front tire more resulting in more loss in hysteresis energy.
Or shall we assume, for simplicity's sake, that the rider is pedaling in perfect circles?
Old 09-25-13, 05:08 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
If you apply more torque to the pedals, you will squish the front tire more resulting in more loss in hysteresis energy.
Or shall we assume, for simplicity's sake, that the rider is pedaling in perfect circles?
There are other kinds?
Old 09-25-13, 05:10 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are other kinds?
Most definitely.
Old 09-25-13, 05:34 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In medical terms, this thread has started CTD = [circling the drain]. Sad.
Old 09-25-13, 05:44 PM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is not necessarily true. The wind makes it harder to pedal in a certain gear than without it AT THE SAME SPEED. Or it can make the difficulty (force) of pedaling the same at different speeds.
Hi,

It is always true. 28/18 times harder on the pedals to get the 28/18 extra power at the same
cadence. Your points have nothing to do with the veracity of the statement your commenting on.

rgds, sreten.

28 mph no wind vs 18 mph into 10mph, both on the flat,
drag = 28mph, ignore everything other than drag.

Last edited by sreten; 09-25-13 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 05:47 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dead Roman
I was there when r600 made the boards fun.
Was that before you needed at least a bachelor's degree in physics to read the threads?
Old 09-25-13, 05:53 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
If you apply more torque to the pedals, you will squish the front tire more resulting in more loss in hysteresis
My wife had a hysteresis about a year ago.

Old 09-25-13, 05:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by sreten
Hi,

It is always true. 28/18 times harder on the pedals to get the 28/18 extra power at the same
cadence. Your points have nothing to do with the veracity of the statement your commenting on.
Not surprisingly 28/18 is also the gear ratios needed for 28mph and 18 mph same cadence.

rgds, sreten.

28 mph no wind, 18 mph into 10mph, both on the flat, drag = 28mph.
sreten you are off base. You can set up a situation with same cadence, same force, different gearing and different bike velocity that gives different power due to the velocity difference. That is what the 18/10 and 28/0 situation is. Not necessary to get more force at the pedals to get the higher velocity in the absence of the headwind. Therefore not necessary to have more force at the pedals to get the higher power generation. I have been paying attention to this ridiculous thread I inadvertently started. Have you?
Old 09-25-13, 06:03 PM
sreten
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sreten you are off base. You can set up a situation with same cadence, same force, different gearing and different bike velocity that gives different power due to the velocity difference. That is what the 18/10 and 28/0 situation is. Not necessary to get more force at the pedals to get the higher velocity in the absence of the headwind. Therefore not necessary to have more force at the pedals to get the higher power generation. I have been paying attention to this ridiculous thread I inadvertently started. Have you?

Hi,

It is you lazily not paying attention to the original post that
I commented on the reply to. I comprehensively understand
the physics and don't need telling such waffle as the above,
which reading it through is nonsense, if intended to follow.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 09-25-13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 06:10 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
My wife had a hysteresis about a year ago.

BTW, you caused me to spit out beer via the nasal passages.

Last edited by BoSoxYacht; 09-25-13 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 06:11 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
In medical terms, this thread has started CTD = [circling the drain]. Sad.
Perfectly said, but let's not forget you can have some fun on the way down.
Old 09-25-13, 06:16 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Hi,

Your talking advanced nonsense. I've no idea what you are talking about.

The 28/0 and 18/10 are one thing assuming equal cadence, another not
assuming equal cadence, and the cadence does not affect the power.

rgds, sreten.

I paid attention in my Physics classes .....
Ignoring minor influences and concentrating only on wind it takes the same force to ride 18 mph into a 10 mph headwind as to ride 28 mph with no headwind. But to keep the same cadence at a slower speed you have to gear down. So as the guy who originally brought this up asked, you have same force, same cadence, different gears and also different power because same force but different velocity. He asked would you notice the differences. The answer is only the speed of scenery passing you by and sensation of speed. What are you arguing about?
Old 09-25-13, 06:31 PM
sreten
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ignoring minor influences and concentrating only on wind it takes the same force to ride 18 mph into a 10 mph headwind as to ride 28 mph with no headwind. But to keep the same cadence at a slower speed you have to gear down. So as the guy who originally brought this up asked, you have same force, same cadence, different gears and also different power because same force but different velocity. He asked would you notice the differences. The answer is only the speed of scenery passing you by and sensation of speed. What are you arguing about?
Hi, I'm not. I told him he was very wrong. He now agrees. rgds, sreten.

The pedalling force is half and of course you would notice that.

Last edited by sreten; 09-25-13 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 06:33 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread has true 41 potential
Old 09-25-13, 06:56 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Eh? Are you forgetting that the drivetrain is a torque converter? You have same force at the wheel, same cadence, different gears. Because you have different gears, to have the same force at the wheels, you necessarily have proportionately different force at the pedals. You know you are going 18mph into a 10mph headwind rather than 28mph into still air because you are pushing the pedals less hard.

FWIW, the speed you'd have to be going into a 10mph headwind to equal the power needed to roll 28mph in still air is ~23.5mph. Bonus points for anyone who manages to verify my calculation. Hint: it involves solving a quadratic equation...

(Double bonus points if you can remember the quadratic equation without looking it up. I didn't get double bonus points... )

EDIT: okay, I should say my calculation only works if you assume drag force is proportional to velocity. It's not (force is proportional to the square), but at bicycling speeds, the error shouldn't be too bad.

EDIT2: if you believe the online cubic equation solver, the real answer is 21.8mph. About 10% error using a linear assumption rather than the quadratic for the force/velocity relationship.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 09-25-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 08:41 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 983 Posts
Not necessarily. You could use the force of the wind as something to "lean against" and actually spend LESS energy track standing.
There's a limit to that. And you are a bit late.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
If you are track-standing against a steeper incline or a stiffer wind, you'll use more power.
Old 09-25-13, 08:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Cool. I win then.
No, still wrong. And your ad hominems don't change that.

You are still moving when track standing and so doing work.
Old 09-25-13, 09:52 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, still wrong. And your ad hominems don't change that.

You are still moving when track standing and so doing work.
I think we are past this now. I mean, you specifically quoted an authority you apparently trust which states my point precisely. Brandt is an abrasive fellow, but he is generally a good engineer. I thoroughly enjoyed his book on bicycle wheels.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 09-25-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 09:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Eh? Are you forgetting that the drivetrain is a torque converter? You have same force at the wheel, same cadence, different gears. Because you have different gears, to have the same force at the wheels, you necessarily have proportionately different force at the pedals. You know you are going 18mph into a 10mph headwind rather than 28mph into still air because you are pushing the pedals less hard.

FWIW, the speed you'd have to be going into a 10mph headwind to equal the power needed to roll 28mph in still air is ~23.5mph. Bonus points for anyone who manages to verify my calculation. Hint: it involves solving a quadratic equation...

(Double bonus points if you can remember the quadratic equation without looking it up. I didn't get double bonus points... )

EDIT: okay, I should say my calculation only works if you assume drag force is proportional to velocity. It's not (force is proportional to the square), but at bicycling speeds, the error shouldn't be too bad.

EDIT2: if you believe the online cubic equation solver, the real answer is 21.8mph. About 10% error using a linear assumption rather than the quadratic for the force/velocity relationship.
Of course you are right. I keep only seeing half of the story. So let me try to extrapolate the learning. I won't propose this as being right, but rather ask if it is to see if I understand now: At the same cadence but different gearing the different powers generated by the identical velocity of motion of the rider's legs X the different forces at the pedals is the same as we you would calculate by multiplying an identical force on the rear wheel X the two different bike velocities. When the cadence is the same, it is the force that varies at the pedals and the leg velocity that is the same, but for the bike it is the force that is the same and the velocity that is different.

Thanks for your patient explanations.
Old 09-25-13, 10:01 PM
rpenmanparker 

Hi, I'm not. I told him he was very wrong. He now agrees. rgds, sreten.

The pedalling force is half and of course you would notice that.
Damn, of course, as always you are right. Even though I know that in advance, something about the way I read your explanations just doesn't allow me to understand what you are saying. My apologies. Thanks for staying civil despite my foolishness.
Old 09-25-13, 10:05 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^^
yes, in the special case we are discussing here (28mph in still air vs. 18mph in a 10mph headwind). The force at the wheel is constant. If the drivetrain is adjusted so the cadence is identical, then the speed of the wheel differs in direct proportion to the difference in pedal force. The ratio between the front chainring and the rear cog describes this relationship exactly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.