Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Between the Dahon Speed P8 and the Dahon Mu P8

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-13, 06:17 AM
chillspike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Between the Dahon Speed P8 and the Dahon Mu P8 which would you rather have with a Bionx system on it and why? And, if you can elaborate, why wouldn't you want the other one?

The Dahon Speed P8 is a CHROMOLY steel frame and so will be slightly heavier to carry while the Dahon Mu P8 is an aluminum frame and will be lighter but I've heard a steel frame is preferred when using electric motors.

Thank you.
Old 10-19-13, 08:15 AM
15rms

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got myself a Bionx this week and love it. My bike has a 26 inch back wheel and has an abundance of power. Either one of these bikes with thier 20 inch wheel would have even more power. You may consider the difference in gearing. One of these bikes has a very slight higher gear. This would give you a little more speed.
Old 10-19-13, 11:24 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 15rms
I just got myself a Bionx this week and love it. My bike has a 26 inch back wheel and has an abundance of power. Either one of these bikes with thier 20 inch wheel would have even more power. You may consider the difference in gearing. One of these bikes has a very slight higher gear. This would give you a little more speed.
Hmm. Good point about the gearing.

However, has the gearing on the Speed P8 changed? On the Dahon website the gear inches are listed as: 32.6" - 86.6". But on the NyceWheels website - which is currently selling the Speed P8 - they list the gear inches for the same bike as: 33" - 96". Are the specifications on the Dahon website possibly from an older model?
Old 10-19-13, 12:39 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not know.
Old 10-19-13, 01:18 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not know.
Which bike were you referring to when you said "one of these bikes has a very slight higher gear", if I may ask?
Old 10-19-13, 01:45 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chillspike
Between the Dahon Speed P8 and the Dahon Mu P8 which would you rather have with a Bionx system on it and why? And, if you can elaborate, why wouldn't you want the other one?

The Dahon Speed P8 is a CHROMOLY steel frame and so will be slightly heavier to carry while the Dahon Mu P8 is an aluminum frame and will be lighter but I've heard a steel frame is preferred when using electric motors.

Thank you.
This is going to depend on your needs.. if you are looking for the lightest package possible, that folds for bus transport, rides well, and has an e-assist, I'd be looking at something like what I'm thinking of doing myself.. a Mu Uno with 2 speed SRAM Automatix, belt drive and small front hub motor .. I've been riding a 2 speed automatic for four years and love it.. but if you have serious hills, maybe not the setup you want.. but here in Marin County, where there are plenty of hills, it has served me well.

Old 10-19-13, 06:19 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chillspike on the web site it shows the MUP8 with 32 to 93 gear inchs and the P8 has 32.96 to 86.6 gear inchs.
Old 10-20-13, 07:56 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
This is going to depend on your needs.. if you are looking for the lightest package possible, that folds for bus transport, rides well, and has an e-assist, I'd be looking at something like what I'm thinking of doing myself.. a Mu Uno with 2 speed SRAM Automatix, belt drive and small front hub motor .. I've been riding a 2 speed automatic for four years and love it.. but if you have serious hills, maybe not the setup you want.. but here in Marin County, where there are plenty of hills, it has served me well.
Where I am going with it I anticipate hills. Also I plan to eventually put a 350 Bionx motor on and I think the growing consensus is to put larger hub motors on the rear wheel. I really like the style of all the Mu models, though (seems very minimalist), and the slightly less weight of an aluminum frame is always appealing. However, the Speed P8 has many merits including its own appealing frame style. The Speed 8 does seem like it has too much going on in the back frame-wise, sort of an antiquated look, and it looks thinner and frailer. But it's steel so looks can be deceiving.

Does that belt drive come standard on the Mu Uno? I never noticed it before.
Old 10-20-13, 08:05 AM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chillspike on the web site it shows the MUP8 with 32 to 93 gear inchs and the P8 has 32.96 to 86.6 gear inchs.
I know but I found two separate online sellers - NYCEWheels and BikeBling - that list the Speed 8 gear dimensions as 33" - 96". I can always just call to confirm the actual measurements.
Old 10-20-13, 10:37 AM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Does that belt drive come standard on the Mu Uno? I never noticed it before.
I converted mine to belt drive.. the Mu Uno doesn't have a rear triangle, so belt drive is possible without frame modification..
Old 10-21-13, 04:07 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted mine to belt drive.. the Mu Uno doesn't have a rear triangle, so belt drive is possible without frame modification..

Would you feel comfortable having a 350 rear hub motor on an aluminum frame? From talk on the internets I kind of got it stuck in my electric bicycle noob brain that aluminum frames can crack more easily under the stress from electric motors.

Incidentally, and sorry for my ignorance, but can a belt driven bike have an electric motor? I really like the belt drive I saw on the Mu 360.
Old 10-21-13, 06:44 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Would you feel comfortable having a 350 rear hub motor on an aluminum frame? From talk on the internets I kind of got it stuck in my electric bicycle noob brain that aluminum frames can crack more easily under the stress from electric motors.

Incidentally, and sorry for my ignorance, but can a belt driven bike have an electric motor? I really like the belt drive I saw on the Mu 360.
If I were contemplating a rear drive 350w motor, I'd want steel dropouts .. but that's me... I'm sure it's been done before with aluminum frames, but I know there are general warnings against using an aluminum fork for front drive installations.. also, Dahon doesn't have a belt drive bike in their lineup, if you saw a Mu 360 with a belt, it was either a custom install (like mine), or more likely the fully enclosed black plastic chain guard (which can look like a belt from a distance).. although anything is possible, if you were going to run a belt drive IGH, you'd want front wheel drive... and with a Dahon, that would mean an 80mm hub motor and a steel fork..
Old 10-21-13, 07:04 PM
chillspike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were contemplating a rear drive 350w motor, I'd want steel dropouts .. but that's me... I'm sure it's been done before with aluminum frames, but I know there are general warnings against using an aluminum fork for front drive installations.. also, Dahon doesn't have a belt drive bike in their lineup, if you saw a Mu 360 with a belt, it was either a custom install (like mine), or more likely the fully enclosed black plastic chain guard (which can look like a belt from a distance).. although anything is possible, if you were going to run a belt drive IGH, you'd want front wheel drive... and with a Dahon, that would mean an 80mm hub motor and a steel fork..
Ah okay, I guess the belt was an add on. I saw it in the following video, btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBikIMF4g4E
Old 10-22-13, 07:36 AM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ah okay, I guess the belt was an add on. I saw it in the following video, btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBikIMF4g4E
Those were Dahon prototypes .. never made it into dealer hands .. maybe 2014 ..