Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Would you carry a tripod?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Would you carry a tripod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 07:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Liked 1,586 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I am not a photographer by any stretch, I use point and shoot cameras or cellphone cameras. I do carry a mini- tripod, it is similar to this one.

Aaron
That is the one I have too, but I got mine on ebay. I have seen them in the dollar store (for $1) but I am not sure if the dollar store version has telescoping legs.
Old 11-03-13, 11:00 AM
Atophy

Bikes: Modified Catrike Trail (26" rear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
• The good ol' "string monopod" trick (look it up)
Also known as a Chainpod.

Quite handy if you're going somewhere you can't take a tri/monopod like museums. It does help to stabilize for low light but probably not ideal for longer exposures after dusk or before dawn.
Old 11-03-13, 12:42 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Definitely do not take that tripod. It weighs more than your entire camera kit, lol!

You didn't mention what type of photography you want to, which is a huge impact on needing a tripod.

As an alternative to a tripod, something which could clamp to the top tube or rack of your bike would give the required height without needing the full tripod.
Old 11-04-13, 12:45 AM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I carry one of these (of various sizes to fit my camera holding needs) every where I go!

There are an outstanding piece of equipment that weighs very little and can be used in most any situation.

GorillaPod:

https://joby.com/lp/which-gorillapod/index.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={QueryString**&utm_content={AdID**&utm_campaign=b ing-sem-campaign
Old 11-04-13, 01:41 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My rule is that you can bring one stupid heavy thing. I don't say one has to. But we all have things we like to do, and wouldn't mind bringing a decent piece of kit along to allow. Having one heavy thing is OK, letting everything be overweight even a little will really add up.

I wouldn't bring the tripod, and if I needed one, I would consider a crappy light one. I have one at the moment that someone gave me when they lost a good one I used to own. It is not a good tripod, but it works for certain things, and is crazy light. I have gone on trips where I didn't take a camera at all. I like photography, but with digital, there are too many photos. I have years that I "documented" on a roll of film. Everyone's lives are becoming like those boring home movies, or slide shows one prays one never has to sit through.

Paul makes a thing for steering tubes that holds a go pro.
Old 11-04-13, 01:43 AM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.paulcomp.com/cameramount.html
Old 11-04-13, 09:37 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zipshot. Love mine for a G12 and have even used it with the GoPro.
Old 11-04-13, 11:40 AM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it, you will wish you had it the entire time if you don't.
Old 11-04-13, 12:43 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Definitely do not take that tripod. It weighs more than your entire camera kit, lol!

You didn't mention what type of photography you want to, which is a huge impact on needing a tripod.
Landscape... and unfortunately, night photography. However, so long as the camera is sitting on something stable like a rock, I can use my remote to take a great long-exposure shot. I'm going to heed your advice and leave it behind this trip, the camera is a luxury on its own.
Old 11-04-13, 01:48 PM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Landscape... and unfortunately, night photography. However, so long as the camera is sitting on something stable like a rock, I can use my remote to take a great long-exposure shot. I'm going to heed your advice and leave it behind this trip, the camera is a luxury on its own.
Everything I can do with my remote shutter releases can be done with the internal timer and menus on the D7000. With the exception of if you want to climb some rock that takes 15 minutes and then take a shot, but even that can be accomplished with the interval meter if you don't mind ditching the other shots where you were climbing the rock.

For landscapes, I really only "need" my tripod for low speed water shots, lightning. There is no other way to get those except to have the appropriate tripod. The odds of finding a rock with the correct angle is slim.

For night shots what were you thinking? Stars in the sky?

Last edited by RWBlue01; 11-04-13 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Amazing typo
Old 11-04-13, 01:54 PM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Everything you see, some better photographer will have already seen it and either rejected it or spent half a day getting the lighting just so-so,
You are correct, but if you go to a photography forum and ask how many people have photographed the moon it is amazing how many of us have. Just because someone else has captured the image, doesn't make it any less special the first time a photographer is able to get it him/her self.
Old 11-04-13, 03:20 PM
mdilthey

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, a couple things,

#1 , you can always find a rock at the right angle... I have 40 objects of different sizes and shapes with me in my bike bags. I can easily set up a platform for the camera to point a certain way. I might miss the occasional shot because I can't get the camera high enough (making a tripod worth it) but, overall, I'm not going to struggle to take the occasional long-exposure shot.

#2 . Timers can be frustrating. If I press the shutter and mess up the "stand" for the camera, then I've botched the shot. A remote weighs an ounce.

#3 . Saying that everything I've seen, a better photographer has already seen it or rejected it; I've never heard something so fundamentally incorrect. The composition, lighting, cloud formations, vegetation, human beings, etc. are infinite in variation. So infinite, it cannot be comprehended. Beautiful and breathtaking shots have yet to be discovered and will continue to exist for centuries, no matter where you go. People take pictures of the Eiffel Tower and win photo competitions even today, because an artist can always find a new interpretation.
Old 11-04-13, 05:58 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Come to think of it, I don't actually know anyone personally that is in the "there to photograph" category.
I'm there to photograph. I also photograph to be there. I like to ride, of course, but riding is not an end in itself. Sometimes the bike is just a mode of transportation.

EDIT: if you're there for the ride and "cover grounds", remember that there's always someone who's done it faster than you.

Last edited by Erick L; 11-04-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 07:00 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
how did we survive before image stabilization?
I have been on a couple 1000 km trips with a point and shoot.
It had a 20 x optical lens. my hand held shots were good enough for me.
But I'm not submitting them for publication.

is the purpose of the trip photography, or bicycle touring?
If it is photography, take a tripod. If it is cycling, leave the tripod at home.
Old 11-04-13, 07:41 PM
mdilthey

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think the last couple of posters there kind of missed my point. If you're interested in studying the infinite variations of lighting, humanity, etc., that puts you in the "there to Photograph" category, and that means you should take a tripod, and that answers the original question. And in that case, you should perhaps take multiple tripods, and various bodies and lenses, and it also means you should spend a lot of extra time doing it. Just don't expect to cover very many miles on a bicycle while you're doing all that. However, very few people that are riding bicycles and carrying cameras are looking at it like that, and probably most of them (myself included) would fall into the "there to Ride" category. Come to think of it, I don't actually know anyone personally that is in the "there to photograph" category.
I'm sorry, I have to call you out here. When I carry my camera, and I point it at something, I'm trying to get the best possible shot. I am, in a sense, an artist.

I can't afford a million lenses and three tripods and four cameras. That doesn't matter. I get amazing shots sometimes, and mostly I get utter ****, but I strive for amazing shots.

Award-winning National Geographic photographer Tomas van Houtryve carries two cameras, and one of them doesn't even shoot in color. Each has a single fixed lens on it, usually 35mm, and neither are a DSLR (although one's a very nice rangefinder). Why doesn't he carry 10 lenses and two tripods and two pro-bodies? Because it's not about the camera. It's about the photographer. (Source: https://proof.nationalgeographic.com/...mpaign=Content)

The point of this thread was to try and find the least amount of stuff I need to be on tour "to do photography," as you put it. That's what I'm doing when I raise my camera. When the photography gear impedes on the experience, lessens it overall, I have too much gear.

The experience SHOULD impact my shots, even at the cost of taking mediocre pictures that have a big impact on me personally. That's the point of art, isn't it? I'm trying to capture moments that transgress the temporal and physical boundary and convey what I was feeling when I raised the camera. Every once in a blue moon, I do.

What am I there to do? I'm there to have a bike tour. Getting advice from others helps me figure out how to balance my gear, my experience, what I carry, and what I don't. Thanks to everyone- this thread did that! But the drift into whether or not I can be a photographer without X, Y, and Z gear is unsettling.

Last edited by mdilthey; 11-04-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 07:46 PM
mdilthey

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The attitude that I either have to be there to shoot the best pictures that have ever been taken in that spot, or I have to be there to ride faster than anyone's ever ridden before, is really ridiculous. You guys are living unfulfilling lives if you think that your experience is invalidated if it resembles someone else's.

When I ride as fast as I can, as far as I can, and break my P.R's and achieve an awesome physical feat for myself, I feel amazing. It's a natural high.

When I am careful and I compose a shot in my mind and I sit and wait an hour for the sun to set a bit farther just so I can get that composition that I was looking for, and I get it, and it looks amazing, I'm the happiest I can be.

Can't really even comprehend why you think that's a waste of my time just because Ansel Adams took a nicer picture and Tommy Godwin rode farther.

Last edited by mdilthey; 11-04-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 08:19 PM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Award-winning National Geographic photographer Tomas van Houtryve carries two cameras, and one of them doesn't even shoot in color.
Makes me laugh when you put the "even" in there as though that is a dismissive thing (although I know you are trying to emphasise a point). Shooting B&W requires a lot of skill and knowledge to get right, and many classic pictures are in that medium, especially portraits.

Machka takes a swag of pictures, in the many tens of thousands a year. They are a record of what we have done together over the years and help reinforce the memories we carry (or just awake the memories). The is a LOT more to taking unique pictures, and much of it is time and gathering knowledge. It's why the best photographers are paid squillions.

But you know that already.
Old 11-04-13, 08:21 PM
mdilthey

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't just know it, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Just trying to dispel the myth that $15k in lenses is the only way to be serious about photography.

I'm glad you caught the "even." It's intentional. Sometimes, less is more; when the camera gear ceases to get "in the way" of the moment, truly great photography is born. All of WWII was recorded with portable handhelds and fixed lenses; a soldier can't carry ten pounds of glass.

I took these without a tripod, and most weren't even with a decent DSLR. But, it was decent enough, and afforded me the freedom I needed to travel light and not miss shots that still take my breath away (and imparted some of the beauty of bike touring to friends, family, and strangers).

I'm allowed to be serious about photography and mileage at the same time. Does it look like I'm compromising?

Last edited by mdilthey; 11-04-13 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 09:30 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a professional photographer, for my tour next year along the Wisconsin coastline I will bring the following: one d7k without my grip, my 50 14, and my 18-105. My tripod is a heavy PITA so I will leave it at home. That said, I am very comfortable handholding on some very low light, along with having a 1.4 lens. For selfies I often just find a stranger and ask them to be my carbon based voice activated tripod.
Old 11-05-13, 01:08 AM
john.b

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RWBlue01
For night shots what were you thinking? Stars in the sky?
One of my favorite night landscape shots was a four-minute exposure lit solely via moonlight, except for a tiny amber light from a rockclimber's sleeping platform high above the valley floor.

That, and moonbows.
Old 11-05-13, 11:35 AM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm allowed to be serious about photography and mileage at the same time. Does it look like I'm compromising?
Yes, you are, but then again, life is a compromise.

I could go to the extremes. No camera, lighten up the bike, ride hard from day light to dark, pound out the miles OR bring the camera store with me, only want to make 5 miles today. There is only so much time in a day. I can only be bicycling or taking shots, I can not be pounding out the distance and spend an hour or two videoing a waterfall or stop every 15 minutes to photo the trail or ...

This being said, I think for my happiness, I need to be some place in the middle. A trivial 30 miles a day with camping gear and camera+tripod was good. OR 60+ with camera+tripod and hotel.

Or maybe I should put it a different way. On the GAP, I met some people. We would end up in the same hotel the next night. I left earlier in the morning and I arrived later in the evening. I leap frogged them several times in the day. Every time I stopped to take photos, they passed me. Then I would race past them as I rode faster (and they took a real lunch). But at the end of the day, they still made it to the hotel before I did. The compromise I made was stopping to take photos on this trip. The compromise they were making is stopping for lunch and not being able to ride farther or faster.

Life is a compromise.

And life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get.

Last edited by RWBlue01; 11-05-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 12:36 PM
RWBlue01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john.b
One of my favorite night landscape shots was a four-minute exposure lit solely via moonlight, except for a tiny amber light from a rockclimber's sleeping platform high above the valley floor.

That, and moonbows.
I never get to stop any place cool where I can get that shot. It is the problem of living east of the Miss.

This being said, I have been tempted to do a winter trip after a snow. I know where I can get the Norman Rockwell photo.
Old 11-05-13, 02:24 PM
kgoings

Bikes: 14 Cannondale EVO SuperSix 5 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread! Thanks.
Old 11-05-13, 07:51 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I use the clamp with ballhead, and the bicycle can be the tripod. I can also supplement with an ultralight tripod, but generally prefer the clamp and ballhead system. If I need tripod stability, I clamp to a signpost or such, or, to shoot at ground level, a bag of beans or such.
Old 11-05-13, 09:36 PM
Doug64

Liked 860 Times in 444 Posts
IMO- A tripod is not as essential as it was in "film days". When shooting with film, I'd often blow a whole roll of 36 on one subject just to ensure that I had a decent shot. I used a tripod a lot for landscapes and closeup work to ensure sharpness. It was like Christmas when I got the slides back from the lab or opened the developing tank when processing B&W film. I knew there might be a great present in there, but was not entirely sure what it would look like. With digital the results can be checked immediately, and reshot if the results are unsatifactory. Lanscapes usually hold still long enough for several shots.

On a 3-month tour we did some "on the back of an envelope" calculating to estimate how much time we spent taking pictures. Using an average of 1 minute per picture, which is very conservative, we came up with 75 hours. That is a pretty good chunk of time and equates to about 1050 miles at 14mph that we could have ridden if we chose to use the time differently. Photography has been our life-long passion, so we consider it time well spent. We also tend to concentrate on people pictures while touring, which does not lend itself to using a tripod.

Used a bridge railing for this. Sure, a tripod would have allowed me to get it "snappy" sharp, but I'm not sure that was necessary to convey place and mood. This was taken with a Canon G12, my present touring camera. I only stuck this in here becasue the Eiffel Tower was used as an example

We still use a tripod with our DSLR's, but that is when we have a need for extreme sharpness, or doing close up work.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-05-13 at 09:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.