Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

One Less Car?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

One Less Car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 07:10 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I've got to chuckle about the timing of this, but this was posted today on the myths about the world and its population:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...-1226755860735

Undoubtedly, there will be argument here about the veracity of the assertions. But the Swedes do tend to be aloof and more independent in their research.
Declining birth rates are already looming as a bigger problem than overpopulation in some parts of the world, notably Japan, Korea, and most of Europe. Birth rates in the developing world are higher, but also declining.

But the best way to get low birth rates is to make people more prosperous, and get them off farms. If that happens, they will be consuming more (and polluting more) per person, even if there are fewer people. So the big challenge now is finding a path to sustainable prosperity. This might require big progress in social justice and economic equality. Do you think we (human species) can accomplish this?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-08-13, 07:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody

But the best way to get low birth rates is to make people more prosperous, and get them off farms.

Do you think we (human species) can accomplish this?
I hope not!

I don't know about you, but I like to eat now and then.
Old 11-08-13, 09:11 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Saw a book in the front window of a bookshop today dealing with this specific subject. Next to it were two books on cycling. I'm thinking of buying all three, depending on the price (which I didn't have access to before an early-morning meeting).

The guides are out there. But most people can't be bothered looking And I repeat: NIMBY
Care to give us the title? We should all be reading this stuff.
Old 11-08-13, 09:28 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Here you go.

How to reduce your carbon footprint.

The only problem is that I think that most people are fine with reducing carbon as long as they don't have to put any effort into it or suffer any inconvenience.
Agree, but this link you provide doesn't do a whole lot more than propagate a myth... which is that by making tweaks you can reduce carbon footprint to a level that is acceptable.

Of course, this is false. A better approach would be the outline a series of measures that would reduce carbon footprint to more sustainable levels. For example:
- get rid of your car
- stop eating meat
- stop traveling by air
- turn the heat down to where you wear a heavy sweater in winter
- turn the air off in summer

... that sort of thing.
Old 11-08-13, 09:32 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
The only noise I consistently hear is the neighbor's dogs barking.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate in being in the position to to better insulate my home's walls for sound, but installing an anti barking device on side of my house, adjacent to the neighbor with the barking dogs, has proven to be the most effective. Installing the device has caused the dogs to bark on the other side of the neighbor's property, and if they do bark near my house, they don't do it for very long.

Back on topic, I hope that you and your fiance can embrace a car free life style, but since it was taken from her suddenly and was not done on a gradual process of elimination, chances are that she may end up replacing the stolen vehicle at a later date.
Old 11-08-13, 10:24 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Back on topic, I hope that you and your fiance can embrace a car free life style, but since it was taken from her suddenly and was not done on a gradual process of elimination, chances are that she may end up replacing the stolen vehicle at a later date.
She was going to replace the car. She doesn't view car-free as a viable option.

Last night we were riding home from a night out, and she was swearing about the cold and that she wanted her car. Her wish came true. We got a call from the police. The thief was arrested, and the car recovered. It's mostly undamaged.

It would have been better to let insurance replace it, but now that it's been recovered, that's not an option. It needs tires and suspension work (that was before it was stolen).
Old 11-08-13, 10:24 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On another note, I like how LCF posts usually go very off-topic. It keeps things interesting.
Old 11-08-13, 11:26 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Both times my uncle's Civic was stolen, he found it nearby pretty much undamaged
Old 11-08-13, 01:46 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Agree, but this link you provide doesn't do a whole lot more than propagate a myth... which is that by making tweaks you can reduce carbon footprint to a level that is acceptable.
Yeah, I just grabbed the first thing I found on the net that was headed in the right direction. And most people will likely read it, go yeah, yeah and implement a few things, feeling like they are doing well until they are distracted.

A better approach would be the outline a series of measures that would reduce carbon footprint to more sustainable levels. For example:
- get rid of your car
- stop eating meat
- stop traveling by air
- turn the heat down to where you wear a heavy sweater in winter
- turn the air off in summer

... that sort of thing.
You've got a good start. Keep going.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-08-13, 01:50 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
Both times my uncle's Civic was stolen, he found it nearby pretty much undamaged
Living in San Diego, both my ex's car and my car got stolen at different times. Her car was recovered and totaled. She had been in the midst of getting the car ready to sell. The insurance company gave her twice what she had been planning to ask for the car. My car, a '63 VW van, was never seen again. My guess is that it headed straight across the border.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-08-13, 06:56 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Care to give us the title? We should all be reading this stuff.
I can't. It didn't register as well as "50 Bike Designs that Changed the World" and something like "50 tours by bicycle you have to do". I will be back in that part of town sometime soon. I will have another look for you.

I should add, you might have said: "We should all be doing this stuff". Reading is irrelevant if you aren't prepared to do it.
Old 11-08-13, 07:11 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
You've got a good start. Keep going.
This stuff needs to be taught in our schools and drummed into our heads from radio and tv ads.

Most people see it as optional, feel-good activities like giving a can of beans to the food bank.