Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Messenger bag-trying to decide.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 06:31 AM
jfz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being a confirmed backpack user for the past four or so decades I am considering purchasing a messenger bag. My daughter gave me her used Old Navy bag and I like it but it does not have the extra stability strap so it moves around a bit too much for me. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Nashbar Messenger bag https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename= I am thinking of trying this one and if I like it then spending the $100.00 or so and getting a Chrome bag.
Old 09-29-05, 06:51 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a messenger bag from Manhattan Portage. It doesn't have an extra stability strap, but it's big enough that I never needed one either.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-29-05, 07:01 AM
karmaboy
mouth breather

Bikes: Marinoni track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear by Messenger bags...but don't go cheap. You need a beefy strap system to make it work right. I have three bags in varying sizes from Push the Envelope...they are sweet.
https://www.pushtheenvelope.com/
Old 09-29-05, 07:30 AM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmaboy
I swear by Messenger bags...but don't go cheap. You need a beefy strap system to make it work right. I have three bags in varying sizes from Push the Envelope...they are sweet.
https://www.pushtheenvelope.com/

Hey, how do the straps on those work out for stability? I have found my timbuk2 moves around alot when I am airborne and f*cks up my balance.
Old 09-29-05, 08:38 AM
karmaboy
mouth breather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say I'm getting much air...
You can tighten up the straps quite nicely. They have really good connectors that make it easy to pull it tight and loosen up as required. Its kinda hard to describe...What I really like is the freedom of movement in the shoulders.
Old 09-29-05, 08:48 AM
mascher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canadian secret: $50 bag that's probably as good as a whichever 100+ one if you're not a messenger using it 8 hours a day:

https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1128004920172

I've used mine for daily haulage for 3 years, including most grocery runs. I've also used bags bigger than this one (your max capacity is two six packs, a bottle of wine and some airplane sacks of peanuts, plus your usual assortment of tools, pumps, etc) and find that the size is ideal for most things (e.g. lunch, lock, clothes, book, and that package you keep meanting to bring to the post office on the way to work) and doesn't get in the way when it's empty. It has most of the features of the nicer ones (sternum strap, adjustable shoulder pad, zillions of stash pockets, straps for securing e.g. a sleeping bag to it, but not a detachable or reversible shoulder strap). Only after 3 yrs are the velcro strips that secure the main flap (in addition to buckles) are beginning to come undone and will eventually need to be replaced.

It's not cool looking though, which is a plus for me, not that I don't dream of a cocotte bag.
Old 09-29-05, 09:26 AM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say I'm getting much air...
You can tighten up the straps quite nicely. They have really good connectors that make it easy to pull it tight and loosen up as required. Its kinda hard to describe...What I really like is the freedom of movement in the shoulders.
Well nothing crazy, I am not taking my commuter on the half-pipe... I have just found that after hopping a curb or something my current bag can decide it wants to be 4 inches to the left (or whatever)..

when dropping into traffic having your center of gravity shift can really suck... was just wondering if the bag stays put

thanks!
Old 09-29-05, 10:17 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use one of these for carrying tons of stuff (groceries, computer parts, 25 lb. bags of rice, etc.)

https://www.manhattanportage.com/cata...products_id=92

Doesn't shift on me although the strap can get annoying if the load's heavy, like the bag of rice.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-29-05, 10:25 AM
borderline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a cheapskate and didn't want to spend $100 for a bag but wanted something with a good system of holding it in place. I went with a small bag from Jandd and surprisingly got a very nice bag with all the features of the more expensive bags. I paid $41 for the closeout Beulah bag (smallest). They also have some larger bags.

https://www.jandd.com/search_results....earch&iLevel=1
Old 09-29-05, 11:05 AM
Evolution-06

Bikes: hardrock comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just got a bag from a street vendor in boston, and it blows all these away for 15 dollars.
Old 09-29-05, 01:03 PM
karmaboy
mouth breather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I'm saying is...look for the three point strap rather than the single loop strap you see on most "messenger bags". The loops are okay...but I find I spend all my time shifting the bag around on my back. The three pointer locks into place much like a regular backpack would...only with the benifit of more shoulder room.
Old 09-29-05, 01:18 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I'm saying is...look for the three point strap rather than the single loop strap you see on most "messenger bags". The loops are okay...but I find I spend all my time shifting the bag around on my back. The three pointer locks into place much like a regular backpack would...only with the benifit of more shoulder room.
Bags like the Chrome avoid this problem by making the strap "asymmetrical." The upper part of the strap has EVA foam padding and is very fat (perhaps four inches wide) where it meets the bag. It tapers down to the buckle in the middle of the chest. The lower part of the strap is thin and uniform. The taper on the upper part of the strap causes the bag to "find" a consistent place on my shoulder, and it barely moves at all from that position unless I pull on it.

The Chrome bag also has a stabilizer strap, but I've never needed it except when carrying a load that was so large in volume that the bag became more round than flat on my back.

- Warren
Old 09-29-05, 01:26 PM
ellenDSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a small Timbuk2 bag... it was TOO small. Then I tried the medium size... it was TOO big. I'm kinda short so to get the bag where it was comfortable on my back I had a huge amount of looping strap under the clamshell buckle thingie. Another minus was the lack of padding on the back of the bag which made carrying anything but the flattest of items quite uncomfortable. I just don't think the traditional messenger bag is for me so the search continues for the perfect bag to haul my gear. I've got a couple from Jansport on order to try. If they don't work out, I think I'll try Ieatrats's suggested Canadian bag - it looks like it would be very functional.
Old 09-29-05, 01:41 PM
asfried

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a large Timbuk2 pro line bag. Plenty big enough for my work clothes, laptop, etc. Even more indestructable than the regular line bags. I especially like the EXTREMELY large reflective panel and blinky attachment strap as many of my commutes are in the dark. I cinch the shoulder loop relatively snug and then use the stabilizer strap - it never moves an inch. I also have a non-slip Timbuk2 shoulder pad that seems to further stabilize the bag. As far as back comfort goes, I pack my clothes near my back and I have never had a problem.
Old 09-29-05, 01:47 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asfried
I use a large Timbuk2 pro line bag. Plenty big enough for my work clothes, laptop, etc. Even more indestructable than the regular line bags. I especially like the EXTREMELY large reflective panel and blinky attachment strap as many of my commutes are in the dark. I cinch the shoulder loop relatively snug and then use the stabilizer strap - it never moves an inch. I also have a non-slip Timbuk2 shoulder pad that seems to further stabilize the bag. As far as back comfort goes, I pack my clothes near my back and I have never had a problem.

I have a large timuk2 bag also, with pad and stabalizer strap. everything about it is great except when I have to hop something.. then push the bag back into place.

Perhaps my hopping needs to get better.
Old 09-29-05, 02:39 PM
Quickbeam
Beer is delicious!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheezl
I have a large timuk2 bag also, with pad and stabalizer strap. everything about it is great except when I have to hop something.. then push the bag back into place.

Perhaps my hopping needs to get better.
I use a large Timbuk2 and I find that if I keep the main shoulder strap short (so that the bag is higher on my back) and pull the secondary strap tight it stays put pretty good. I've noticed that if I don't take the time to get it on right it does move around a lot. I don't do much hopping and stuff though.

By the way... ummm... What is that thing in your avatar???
Old 09-29-05, 02:42 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
I use a large Timbuk2 and I find that if I keep the main shoulder strap short (so that the bag is higher on my back) and pull the secondary strap tight it stays put pretty good. I've noticed that if I don't take the time to get it on right it does move around a lot. I don't do much hopping and stuff though.

By the way... ummm... What is that thing in your avatar???

It's a baby Aye Aye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aye-aye
Old 09-29-05, 03:56 PM
orange
Vehicular

Bikes: DeBernardi track, Bianchi homemade fixed, '93 Trek 2300 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a backpack for years, tried switching to messenger bag. Even securely strapped, the uneven pressure on my two shoulders really messed me up. I didn't really notice until it was too late, that was like a year ago and I'm still stiff on one side. Some people love 'em, I'd just pay attention to your shoulders & general symmetry.
Old 09-29-05, 04:13 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Consider this company.....

https://www.courierwareusa.com/

I like the USED bag I bought from them a LOT!!

Yes, used. This company will take one of the bags they
make (no other brands please) in trade for a new bag
if it's in decent shape. They will then re-sell that bag
at a used price,but you have to call and ask what they
have on hand.

The bag I bought retailed for $115 new but I got it for $30
plus shipping. Threw it in the wash and had a clean "as new"
bag.
Old 09-29-05, 05:50 PM
FraAngelico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go chrome
Old 09-29-05, 06:28 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FraAngelico
go chrome
I dunno, I can't get over that dorky looking seatbelt clasp
Old 09-29-05, 09:23 PM
chroot
Newbie Extraordinaire

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orange
I used a backpack for years, tried switching to messenger bag. Even securely strapped, the uneven pressure on my two shoulders really messed me up. I didn't really notice until it was too late, that was like a year ago and I'm still stiff on one side. Some people love 'em, I'd just pay attention to your shoulders & general symmetry.
When I'm actually on my bike, I tend to be bent over pretty far, placing the weight more on my back than on my shoulder. I also appreciate that my Chrome bag keeps the weight centered over my mid- and lower-back, versus backpacks that generally seem to keep the weight very high on my upper back. If I loosen the backpack straps enough to get the weight down off my upper back, the backpack ends up swinging around wildly.

Perhaps a messenger bag is less comfortable than a backpack when walking normally, but the messenger bag wins in every respect when on a bike. At least, in my opinion.

- Warren
Old 09-29-05, 10:33 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome.
I ride 20-30 miles a day 7 days a week 52 weeks a year. I have a dozen bags, leather, cheap, old army, back pack, panniers. I use the Chrome the most. It is expensive, but I put 24 hrs worth of stuff in it and up to 40 lbs of crap, for casual use it's not worth it. For long term use it all works, its got a seatbelt! I filled it full of ice for 2 days at Tahoe and dumped it- it dryed in 2 hours, no smell, after 1200 miles still great! Chrome.
Old 09-29-05, 11:03 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asfried
I have a medium that I ordered on line so it was made in SF and I got the color I wanted and added the grab-handle option too, I like it, the blinkie loop is great, and if I tighten the straps down right it doesn't move around if I jump a curb, bunny-hop massive potholes, etc.

The mass production timbuks have changed, they're more of, as one bike shop guy called it, "lifestyle" bags now, ecch. And made in China. So if you get one, get one on line and you can order the colors you like too.
Old 09-30-05, 07:53 AM
FraAngelico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheezl
I dunno, I can't get over that dorky looking seatbelt clasp
yeah, the seatbelt clasp can cause trouble. when i first hit the button on it, the thing swung down quickly almost hitting my toshiba. but it's worth the risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.