Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What big gear/cadence combo do you use on the trainer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-14, 08:32 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'll use the 53/12 every so often and turn 56-57 rpms for a while to keep a little power in the legs and it gets me quite winded after 5-10 minutes. Haven't been riding the road any since it turned cold in N.C.; just a trainer ride every so often. What are others doing relative to a big gear trainer ride?

Last edited by whitemax; 01-02-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-01-14, 08:46 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
A cadence like that isn't doing your knees any good. It would tear mine up. I always use the 39 ring on the trainer and a fairly big rear cog so that I can maintain 100 rpm plus or minus. But you can't compare setups without knowing the relative resistances of the trainers in question. Mine is a fixed resistance Nashbar fluid model. Must be pretty high resistance, because I cannot go any higher than about 39/19 or 39/17 on a good day and then only in intervals. Sure you can go to higher gear ratio to simulate climbing, but you should still keep up your cadence. Pushing big gears at low cadence, especially on a trainer with very poor flywheel momentum is very tough on the anatomy. Remember that what you consider a big gear on a trainer is completely different than on the road due to the unrealistic built in resistance. You have to work out (with a power meter or just trial and error) the comparable gear setup to give you a road like riding experience.
Old 01-01-14, 09:32 AM
jkuper

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50 on Kurt
Old 01-01-14, 10:01 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the sufferfest videos on the trainer, so I'm all over the place with cadence and gear selection, just like riding outside. I'm also in NC, in the mountains, where it's 17 degrees right now, so unless I drive down off the mountain and head east, I likely won't be riding outside anytime soon.

RD
Old 01-01-14, 10:33 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It depends entirely on what the resistance the trainer is set to or the minimum resistance the specific trainer is capable of without slipping, right? Turn it down and you can push a higher gear. Dial up the resistance and you won't be. In the end, it doesn't matter in the least. Cadence, level of effort, and duration are all that matters for training. However fast the rear wheel happens to be spinning or the gears being used to spin it are irrelevant.
Old 01-01-14, 10:43 AM
roadrider63

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using a Kurt Kinetic Road I use whatever gear I need to be in to keep my cadence up around the 90 rpm point and my virtual power numbers around where the training program suggests. I just started using Trainerroad going through the base training program now. Can tell you that 1.5 hrs. on a trainer non stop even at low power/resistance is a long time for me. Liking the trainer road though but wanting to hurry up and get to more speed/power based workouts.....trying to be patient.
Old 01-01-14, 11:22 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 103 Posts
Low rpm isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do some big gear efforts, trying to hold my cadence down in the 60 rpm range. On the trainer it's hard - I seem to want to increase my cadence to closer to 70 rpm. On the road, on some of the steeper climbs around here, I'll be in the 45-60 rpm range for short stints. My knees aren't that good - I really can't do any actual weight lifting type stuff - but I'm okay with big gear work in moderation.

I found that my CycleOps trainers (Fluid, Fluid2) seem to be limited to about 1000w, give or take. After that there's tire slippage and the fact that I can't put down more power than that without really rocking the bike out of the saddle.

My big gear efforts usually end up in the 400-500w range, something that is not sustainable for more than a minute or so. To do that I'll be in a 53x11 or 12, seated, really emphasizing power around the whole pedal stroke. If I go a bit slower I can hold 300w for a bit longer, using a lower gear and lower cadence.

If you only push down then low rpms isn't good. If you are pulling back, pulling up, pulling over the top… you can do a low cadence effort and barely push down on the pedals. Pulling up, for example, doesn't stress the knees at all. Low cadence is good for practicing better and more complete pedaling so you aren't just pushing down.

I ride the trainer more often than I do outside. I've done about 80 trainer rides this year, 75 outside rides (which include all my racing). I average 90 minutes or so for each trainer ride and the long ones are 3-5+ hours.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-02-14, 10:21 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
It depends entirely on what the resistance the trainer is set to or the minimum resistance the specific trainer is capable of without slipping, right? Turn it down and you can push a higher gear. Dial up the resistance and you won't be. In the end, it doesn't matter in the least. Cadence, level of effort, and duration are all that matters for training. However fast the rear wheel happens to be spinning or the gears being used to spin it are irrelevant.
I use the Cyclops fluid and torque it down until it won't slip like the manual says to. Your post is somewhat contradictory.
Old 01-02-14, 10:26 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
53/11....ouch, that's tough. I do make sure to make I pull up over the top as you said. Mashing down without doing so would over stress the knees I believe. I typically ride a higher cadence for most of my workouts on the trainer, but I do believe that low rpm has some merit relative to building power for climbing.
Old 01-02-14, 10:27 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I use the Cyclops fluid and torque it down until it won't slip like the manual says to. Your post is somewhat contradictory.

Some trainers have no torque down adjustment to fix the bike wheel against the resistance unit spindle. They just rely on body weight to hold the wheel in place. Not being a masher, that works fine for me. Never have any slippage. Shrinkage, of course, is a whole different subject.
Old 01-02-14, 10:31 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,414 Posts
The resistance unit on my rollers is old and now lets me turn 80 in the big ring, too bad. So I wait until April to do my 50 cadence work outside, 3X10X5 at tempo HR. Seated, no upper body motion at all, light hands on the bars is the deal. April's the right time for me anyway. If you have decent conditioning and pedal circles, 50 cadence work is no problem for the knees. I've done 2500' pass climbs at 50 cadence. That's good conditioning. Normally I climb at ~80.
Old 01-02-14, 10:37 AM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I'll use the 53 every so often and turn 56-57 rpms for a while to keep a little power in the legs and it gets me quite winded after 5-10 minutes. Haven't been riding the road any since it turned cold in N.C.; just a trainer ride every so often. What are others doing relative to a big gear trainer ride?
You're asking people who use different psi on their tire so you'll get different answers.
Old 01-02-14, 08:12 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts

I rode with a 54/13 top gear on one of my bikes. 54's were a lot more common back in the day.
Old 01-03-14, 03:16 PM
AndyK 

Bikes: '11 TIME NXR Instinct, '03 De Rosa Planet '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I also just stay in my 39/18-16 gears on the trainer - higher RPMs, low impact - until I can get back on the road.

Old 01-03-14, 06:28 PM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
53/11 unless I'm on the TT bike, then it's 55/11. I do bucket loads of intervals and grind theses gears for 30 minutes or so.