Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2014 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2014 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 07:39 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Cal Aggie Crit, 1/2/3's. I would say "p/1/2/3's" but I didn't see any pros there.

2nd.

Most of the local big names were there, a medium sized field of 50 or so, maybe 40? No team mates for me in this one, but I'm used to that.

Of course attacks go off from the gun, but at least by now I generally know who's who in the race, who to chase, etc. Ignored the attacks in the first 20 mins, eventually bridged to a group of 10 but it was of course right before they got caught and the real break went..

15 or so got otf and actually got a gap, up to about 30 seconds at one point. I eventually started to help chase - even though I knew it might be dumb to put in energy that might take advantage of if we caught the break, I figured it was a good workout and less boring that watching the race ride away.. so me and a few others put in good efforts - nothing like hammering and seeing a strung out field behind you!

After what seemed like forever, we caught the break. 2 or 3 laps to go, too late for another one to get away most likely. A pileup behind me with 2 to go on the backside of the course, and then an even bigger pileup on the last lap before the final corner! I was riding up near the front enough that neither of these affected me, except for that it eliminated some of the big guns.

So I'm 4th wheel, sitting on the Mike's Bikes leadout train, on their sprinter's wheel. We take the final turn, and they're leading him out and I'm thinking omfg I can't believe I'm here! Eventually it's just one guy in front of their sprinter, and I was surprised the sprinter hadn't gone yet but it's a long sprint to the line. Figured I needed to get the jump on him so I went, but he's no dolt so he went as soon as I did, never came around him. But nobody came around me either!

A nice way to start the season for sure.

Real nice Matt!! good job staying out of the chaos too!
Old 01-27-14, 08:08 AM
trustbran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=hack;16443442]
Originally Posted by trustbran

Ouch! I was just to left on that crash and saw you go head over bars. While the bike is damaged, it's good to hear you're okay.

In fairness to Impreza, I think he's referring to a second crash that happened shortly after the one you got pulled into. Coming out of the last turn before the final sprint a solo rider took the turn too hard and put himself into grass. Looked like no others were caught up in that one.
Oops sorry Impreza, then it's not your friend. Hope he's ok! See you and Hack at the races.
Old 01-27-14, 08:19 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Sorry that was so long. Just me rambling.
Congrats!
Old 01-27-14, 09:58 AM
bmcphx
Banned.

Bikes: Black Incs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Haus Crit

Cat 4 - 15/46

I was told since I was on the "home team" to be aggressive, try some things, chase some things, and most importantly, don't let anyone get away up the road. I did all of those things, but they threw 3 primes in a row at us, and one of them was for a PS4 which was a harder lap than the bell lap by far. In the end I was kind of there but kind of not. A bit disappointing in the placing but all in all I'm happy because I raced aggressively and with half a brain... approximately 40% more brain than I typically use in crits. The whole race felt like attack after attack.

Cat 4/5 - 7/56

This race was very different from the cat 4, not that much slower, but way less jumpier. I went for a prime on the 3rd lap and got pipped at the line, when two guys attacked and I couldn't recover fast enough to with them. I knew it was a dangerous couple of riders to go, but I never imagined they would get away for good... they did. I sprinted for the pack win and came up a bit short but I raced this one very well.

A great learning experience in all. Last season was my first season racing bikes and I was just happy I'd lost weight and was strong enough to stay in the pack, this year I'm strong enough to win as soon as I figure out how to use the strength, though I'm getting there much more quickly and progressing thanks to some very supporting teammates.

Here's a pic of me trying to get away in the 4's race, proof that I tried. Chris Froome's people called me about some sort of trademark infringement.

Old 01-27-14, 10:21 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@bmcphx

a PS4 as a prime? holy balls. I would throw the race to win that(srs)

The prime's so far in SoCal have been tubes, a packet of cytomax and a bottle of wine(I can't tell if the win is any good cause I don't drink enough to know the good stuff)
Old 01-27-14, 10:22 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
phoenix races also pay money to cat 5s.

No one knows why.
Old 01-27-14, 10:25 AM
LandyachtzDH 
littering and.....?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcphx
Bicycle Haus Crit

Cat 4 - 15/46
Cat 4/5 - 7/56
Good racing, and way to take the initiative! Wish I could have been there. Still healing up from Avondale.
Old 01-27-14, 10:31 AM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf

No one knows why.
I can explain this race, my team put it on, and we do things as best we can!

There were two PS4 primes and they were awarded to the cat 4 and p12 fields.
Old 01-27-14, 01:27 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@trustbran i was referring to the second crash. frank washed out on the last chicane.

i'm sorry you crashed. i understand how you feel. having raced a clean race, giving people space, following "rules", and to be taken by some knucklehead because he feels he needs to dive bomb a corner to make up spots is the worst. i must be the only one thinking in my head, i have to be at work on monday...

i hope for all category racers sake that he does learn from his mistake.

i wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 01-27-14, 06:16 PM
Monkeyclaw

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 1, Giant TCX, Felt B2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf

No one knows why.
Which race? I've never seen cash awarded to a cat 5 in Phoenix.
Old 01-27-14, 06:18 PM
Monkeyclaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Haus Crit

Cat 4 - 15/46
Cat 4/5 - 7/56
Nice racing. That's a great place for a break to get away. Way to keep things exciting in the 4s race!
Old 01-27-14, 10:13 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
i don't have the mental strength to race crits. i'll just focus on getting my 2 on the track this year.
Does not compute. If you like racing track and are already a Cat 3 there, there's NO reason you can't learn to race crits well, and enjoy them.

Shoot, if you're a little slower than you'd like, do you say "my legs aren't strong enough to race crits"? No, you work on your weaknesses. If you've got head problems in crits, that's a weakness to address, not a prescription for eternal failure.
Old 01-27-14, 11:03 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw
Nice racing. That's a great place for a break to get away. Way to keep things exciting in the 4s race!
Who are you? Monkeyclawfreely on youtube? I assume we have raced together at some point.
Old 01-27-14, 11:04 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkeyclaw
Which race? I've never seen cash awarded to a cat 5 in Phoenix.
I won $20 at Avondale when I was a 5 and a teammate of mine won $25 at Avondale last week. The only common theme here would be Procon/Carlos O'briens, and I've never seen it at any other race. Good on them for setting their own rules though, it bought my lunch!
Old 01-27-14, 11:06 PM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LandyachtzDH
Good racing, and way to take the initiative! Wish I could have been there. Still healing up from Avondale.
When will you be back? hopefully soon!
Old 01-27-14, 11:14 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Dude, you've got to ease up. You're going to be marked for the season before you get two official races in.
Ha right. If I can podium at Cherry Pie, then maybe guys will start noticing!

Originally Posted by thechemist
Real nice Matt!! good job staying out of the chaos too!
Thanks!

my race videos
Old 01-27-14, 11:28 PM
LandyachtzDH 
littering and.....?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When will you be back? hopefully soon!
Maybe Avondale #2 , if not then McDowell CR. I'm hoping I can get back on the bike this week. Everything is healing up well. Tegaderm FTW!
Old 01-27-14, 11:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Is Arizona not part of the USAC?
Old 01-28-14, 07:06 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
No, AZ races are almost all USAC, including ones mentioned above.
Old 01-28-14, 07:17 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
.... If you've got head problems in crits, that's a weakness to address, not a prescription for eternal failure.
This is great.
Old 01-28-14, 07:28 AM
veloboy971
Must Go Faster

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9, BMC Road Racer SL01, Orbea Aletta TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Does not compute. If you like racing track and are already a Cat 3 there, there's NO reason you can't learn to race crits well, and enjoy them.

Shoot, if you're a little slower than you'd like, do you say "my legs aren't strong enough to race crits"? No, you work on your weaknesses. If you've got head problems in crits, that's a weakness to address, not a prescription for eternal failure.
+1, I used to hate crits and only like road races but once I really started to be move around the pack and figure out how to save energy so that could keep my effort reasonably smooth through corners (vs braking and sprinting) I found out I could do quite well. Also I never thought I had a chance at doing well in sprint finishes but last fall had a lot of success in races with sprint finishes just by positioning myself well in the leadout (which is huge in determining whether you'll podium or barely crack top 8-10).

I still get a bit spooked in the big crits (NCC stuff) but that's a bit of a different story and hopefully I'll address that this year
Old 01-28-14, 08:43 AM
bmcphx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yes but sheriff Joe is our local representative.
Old 01-28-14, 09:48 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veloboy971
+1, I used to hate crits and only like road races but once I really started to be move around the pack and figure out how to save energy so that could keep my effort reasonably smooth through corners (vs braking and sprinting) I found out I could do quite well. Also I never thought I had a chance at doing well in sprint finishes but last fall had a lot of success in races with sprint finishes just by positioning myself well in the leadout (which is huge in determining whether you'll podium or barely crack top 8-10).

I still get a bit spooked in the big crits (NCC stuff) but that's a bit of a different story and hopefully I'll address that this year
I've still really not nailed that down. I have a slight amount of fear in crits, and slight lack of faith I can do well in crits, and that will always hold me back.
Old 01-28-14, 10:57 AM
Monkeyclaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who are you? Monkeyclawfreely on youtube? I assume we have raced together at some point.
Yeah, that's me. You've probably beaten me out there, it seems like everyone has I'll be in Tucson this weekend, then probably at Avondale 2, etc. etc. I try to race every weekend, though I always skip the Bike Haus race.
Old 01-28-14, 11:15 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
As in many things, confidence (provided it is not misplaced!) goes a long way toward helping your performance in a race. Sometimes I do get spooked in a crit, and the quality of my racing and my safety are definitely imperiled. Fear doesn't make you race safer! When I'm in the zone and feeling confident, I can concentrate on racing and can do a LOT more with my fitness, which translates pretty efficiently to better results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.