Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2014 Ciamillo GLS Brakes = Overpriced Junk!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 06:01 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Venting. I recently purchased these https://caw-designs.com/?page_id=323 on a whim. I didn't need them and my 7900 brakes work fine, but I liked the idea of color coordinating my brakes. The silver brakes didn't really match.

First fault, not a major one, but they only come with campy compatible brake cartridges. When you're purchasing them nowhere do they disclose this and you cannot use shimano or sram cartridges with them. Not happy but I order a set of swissstop black prince pads for $50.

I received the pads today and set about getting them setup. I don't like the fact that they don't have a barrel adjusters and you have to either use more/less washers in order to make adjustments. I swap between zipp 303 FC and reynolds 32's which have significantly different widths.... this is looking to be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth.

Final straw! My brake cables will not go through the second hole in the cam arm. On the back brake the second hole is 1.4mm and on the front it's 1.37mm. My cables are standard 1.6mm shimano dura ace cables. I'm tapping out here. I refuse to spend another penny on this poorly engineered garbage. They're going on ebay tonight... maybe I can find another sucker like me... brake pads included.

Last edited by gadabout007; 02-04-14 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 06:21 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've had experience of owning several after market bits of bike componentry. most of it was sub-par. a lot was junk. take solace in the fact that it wasn't an aftermarket doodad that is more expensive, like my brother-in-law's new flagstone (lots and lots of flagstone) patio, or rinky-dink landscaping architecture or scum-gathering swimming pool.

live and learn...
Old 02-04-14, 06:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked 5,725 Times in 2,891 Posts
Those are some ugly brakes!
Old 02-04-14, 07:06 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the brakes are junk not because they are junk but because you can't get them to work.

I thought only Americans tended to cast the blame away from themselves

But, thats why you don't "purchase....on a whim".
Old 02-04-14, 07:28 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Sarcasm
I thought
Clearly you don't think. Don't mistake my reluctance to spend any further on this as a sign that I don't know what's needed to make them work.

Piss off troll.
Old 02-04-14, 07:31 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aw yes, the interwebz. When someone has a valid point against your own...they must be a troll.

Have fun with your brakes
Old 02-04-14, 07:56 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Never tried that particular model from Ciamillo, but I have three pairs of Zero Gravity Ti brakes and love them all. Yes, there are some compromises. The quick release doesn't open the calipers far enough to let fully inflated 23 mm tires pass through easily. No issue with diameter of brake cables, but then there is that Campy pad thing. I don't understand why having to use Campy pads is such a hardship, unless you possibly already had some Shimano/SRAM compatible pads you planned to use. I can buy Campy pads just as easily as Shimano and have done so from time to time for my three sets of calipers. No biggie. As far as braking performance is concerned, I am completely satisfied. The brakes are highly functional, beautiful and crazy light. What's not to like? The ones I have I mean. Like I said never tired yours, but the manufacturer is righteous in my opinion.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-04-14, 10:06 PM
KantoBoy

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing you haven't been to WW where they rip Ciamillo apart for being a lousy business owner. From what I've read numerous warranty claims on his products will result to nothing.

EDIT:

I'm not sure if Bikerumor is paid to advertise Ciamillo's products but they recently posted an entry on the new brakes but disabled the commenting section because the angry ex and current customers vent our their frustrations. I know one post they deleted because that's exactly what had happened.

What I'm trying to get at here is that stay away from his products.

Last edited by KantoBoy; 02-06-14 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 11:31 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^this
Old 02-05-14, 01:11 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to agree, the calipers are just crap because you refuse to make them work, good for you, I can give you 20 bucks for them, after all are not working right? are just crap and dont work, they worth 20 bucks shipped ;D

The solution for the wider rim is quite easy, just adjust the cable adjuster barrel with some slack while using the narrow wheels,, when you put the wider ones just turn the barrels and good to go.

Let me know, 20 bucks for those calipers, maybe somebody wants to give you more for damaged calipers... anybody? 30 over there??
Old 02-05-14, 02:36 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
I have to agree, the calipers are just crap because you refuse to make them work, good for you, I can give you 20 bucks for them, after all are not working right? are just crap and dont work, they worth 20 bucks shipped ;D

The solution for the wider rim is quite easy, just adjust the cable adjuster barrel with some slack while using the narrow wheels,, when you put the wider ones just turn the barrels and good to go.

Let me know, 20 bucks for those calipers, maybe somebody wants to give you more for damaged calipers... anybody? 30 over there??
What barrel adjusters?
Old 02-05-14, 02:43 AM
KlingOn
Banned.

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, Italian brakes that don't work with Japanese cables? Who'da thunk it?

In an industry full of purposeful non-compatibility, sorry you spent cash before you knew what was up. Life.
Old 02-05-14, 03:46 AM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had three different sets...currently using the Gravitas. Pretty simple to set up. Are DA brake cables different in size say compared to Jagwire? I've run Gore cables with no issues.

I do wonder why Ciamillo chose to use Campag pads. Shimano pads are so much easier to get. When I got my Zipps I had to buy a set of Campag brake pads.
Old 02-05-14, 05:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by KlingOn

In an industry full of purposeful non-compatibility, sorry you spent cash before you knew what was up. Life.
Not sure if you are TIC (tongue in cheek) or not, but Ciamillo isn't an Italian company. At least not at this point in history. He is in the USA, in Georgia. US products commonly work perfectly well and/or are based on compatibility with Japanese doo-dads.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-05-14, 05:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
If the cable will not go through the barrel, sounds like a defect. Can't you get a replacement barrel ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-05-14, 06:50 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you see?? are junk!

Originally Posted by redlude97
What barrel adjusters?
Old 02-05-14, 07:00 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I recently got the gsl micros to avoid the use of spherical washers
Old 02-06-14, 08:19 AM
KlingOn
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Not sure if you are TIC (tongue in cheek) or not, but Ciamillo isn't an Italian company. At least not at this point in history. He is in the USA, in Georgia. US products commonly work perfectly well and/or are based on compatibility with Japanese doo-dads.
Wow, I don't know that expression, but yes, I was being sarcastic.

It also appears that I'm stupid and wrong.

Sorry for your misfortune. Yikes, America is the land of hucksters. Slap an I-talian name on something and voila, sale. I guess no one would buy those ugly brakes if they were called "Smith" or "Johnson."

Cha-mee-yo. Classy.
Old 02-06-14, 08:23 AM
rpenmanparker 

Wow, I don't know that expression, but yes, I was being sarcastic.

It also appears that I'm stupid and wrong.

Sorry for your misfortune. Yikes, America is the land of hucksters. Slap an I-talian name on something and voila, sale. I guess no one would buy those ugly brakes if they were called "Smith" or "Johnson."

Cha-mee-yo. Classy.
We've mostly learned to tolerate him. In fact I tolerate three sets of his Zero Gravity Ti calipers. It's hard, but somehow I have managed to do it.

I am intrigued by what would happen if they were called Smith or Johnson, or better yet, Brown. Then they would be aptly named according to the OP.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-06-14, 08:46 AM
KlingOn
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've mostly learned to tolerate him. In fact I tolerate three sets of his Zero Gravity Ti calipers. It's hard, but somehow I have managed to do it.

I am intrigued by what would happen if they were called Smith or Johnson, or better yet, Brown. Then they would be aptly named according to the OP.
Names are names. Never understood why people gravitate towards, or hate, or defend them with such vigor.

The French pronounce Cinelli as "See Nelly," and you can always tell the proud French bike dorks because they're always so eager to correct them, "Ba non, c'est Cha-Nelli, CHA, NEL, LEE, ouais?" So crazy. Defend to the death the only Italian word they know!!

I would love it if those brakes were called Brown. Hell, I bet they'd sell even more if they were called "Poop."

Words, man.
Old 02-06-14, 08:51 AM
rpenmanparker 

Names are names. Never understood why people gravitate towards, or hate, or defend them with such vigor.

The French pronounce Cinelli as "See Nelly," and you can always tell the proud French bike dorks because they're always so eager to correct them, "Ba non, c'est Cha-Nelli, CHA, NEL, LEE, ouais?" So crazy. Defend to the death the only Italian word they know!!

I would love it if those brakes were called Brown. Hell, I bet they'd sell even more if they were called "Poop."

Words, man.
Come on. Let's be honest here. The best choice would be "merde".

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-06-14, 09:00 AM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
campy/shimano brake cables are both 1.6mm diameter. Jagwire slick is 1.5mm and 1.6mm for the teflon coated. Kore make 1.4mm cables but that's still too large of a diameter for the front brake and I'm not familiar with them.

Originally Posted by ultraman6970
See first post

They're American and considering the Italian and Japanese cable diameter is the same... I'da thunk it!

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
If the cable will not go through the barrel, sounds like a defect. Can't you get a replacement barrel ?
I'd have to send the cam arm in to be bored out to the proper diameter.
Old 02-06-14, 09:22 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

If I bought them with my Discover card, and the seller would not fix the problem, I would send them back and open a dispute with Discover.

Old 02-06-14, 09:29 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
If I bought them with my Discover card, and the seller would not fix the problem, I would send them back and open a dispute with Discover.
Or just send them back for refund period. Have we established OP can't get satisfaction through normal channels. I don't see where he says he called the supplier and got a run around.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 02-06-14, 09:48 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Or just send them back for refund period. Have we established OP can't get satisfaction through normal channels. I don't see where he says he called the supplier and got a run around.
Not that I have seen. Maybe they guy would say "Oh, sorry, we had a bad batch. Send it back and I'll take care of it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.