Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Would you put your cycling accomplishments on your CV?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Would you put your cycling accomplishments on your CV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 06:44 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hammy56
really? youre actually surprised at this?
Actually, yes. This takes stupid to a whole new level. Like 41 level stupid
Old 02-09-14, 06:53 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'll bite. I've had interviewers more interested that I did the Ironman than what was on my resume...
Old 02-09-14, 07:16 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,224 Times in 527 Posts
This thread has a lot of potential.
Old 02-09-14, 07:29 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'll bite. I've had interviewers more interested that I did the Ironman than what was on my resume...
that's because they wanted to see if you really were a tri-geek...actually scratch that, who would want to pretend to be that lame?

Old 02-09-14, 07:31 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
As mentioned above, this is highly dependent on the context. A reviewer at a company might be looking for relevant experience only, and anything extra might be considered filler. Meanwhile, a reviewer at a college or graduate school might be wondering if this person is a complete bookworm. These schools are all trying to diversify these days, they are limited by what they can see from a relatively short work history, and they don't want to deal with people who can only get good test scores.
As for your former point, you want bookworms for grad school. Undergrad admission want well rounded people, and certain professional schools want well rounded people, up to a point.

As for your latter, total non sequiter. Sure, people with good test scores may not fare well at research, but this doesn't mean that someone who participate in endurance sport would.

The only time i'd entertain the thought of putting something like sports on my CV is when you can say something like: i was the treasurer of my cycling club, and in addition to managing the finances, i also helped secure funding for an event we organized, etc. Certainly, there are a few masochistic professions where endurance sport is held in high regard, but most entry level positions in those industries require 70+ hour/week, which makes people wonder just how you are going to dedicate to your job and somehow find additional time for your avocation.
Old 02-09-14, 07:36 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't read this thread, but I have cycling on my resume. I think it can be very beneficial for a potential employer to know someone can be dedicated to something and be able to devote 10+ hours to one focus each week (and for multiple years). At the same time, the potential employer could see that and realize it's not good that an employee is focusing on something so much each week. But if they see that and see it as a turn off, then they probably wanted me to work too much each week anyways, so it'll turn out for the best. /shrug
Old 02-09-14, 07:48 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
As for your former point, you want bookworms for grad school. Undergrad admission want well rounded people, and certain professional schools want well rounded people, up to a point.
no. you want researchers for grad school, not bookworms

As for your latter, total non sequiter. Sure, people with good test scores may not fare well at research, but this doesn't mean that someone who participate in endurance sport would.
you completely missed my point. extracurricular activities demonstrate abilities and experiences not developed in the classroom.

The only time i'd entertain the thought of putting something like sports on my CV is when you can say something like: i was the treasurer of my cycling club, and in addition to managing the finances, i also helped secure funding for an event we organized, etc. Certainly, there are a few masochistic professions where endurance sport is held in high regard, but most entry level positions in those industries require 70+ hour/week, which makes people wonder just how you are going to dedicate to your job and somehow find additional time for your avocation.
that's nothing like what I was going after, but please, enlighten us.
Old 02-09-14, 07:52 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I didn't read this thread, but I have cycling on my resume. I think it can be very beneficial for a potential employer to know someone can be dedicated to something and be able to devote 10+ hours to one focus each week (and for multiple years). At the same time, the potential employer could see that and realize it's not good that an employee is focusing on something so much each week. But if they see that and see it as a turn off, then they probably wanted me to work too much each week anyways, so it'll turn out for the best. /shrug
I'm inclined to believe that hard work and dedication would weigh more. At least they know you're not sitting on the couch
Old 02-09-14, 08:05 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

As for your former point, [B]you want bookworms for grad school. Undergrad admission want well rounded people, and certain professional schools want well rounded people, up to a point.
no. you want researchers for grad school, not bookworms

you completely missed my point. extracurricular activities demonstrate abilities and experiences not developed in the classroom.
I'm not convinced you understand the fallacy in your argument. Let's assume that your definition of a bookworm (i.e. someone who only does well on tests and nothing else) is valid, which it most certainly isn't. How is extracurricular activity in something wholly unrelated to your field of research (unless you are in a physiology related field) a better indicator of your performance as a researcher than say, test scores and grades from courses in that field?

As mentioned above, this is highly dependent on the context. A reviewer at a company might be looking for relevant experience only, and anything extra might be considered filler. Meanwhile, a reviewer at a college or graduate school might be wondering if this person is a complete bookworm. These schools are all trying to diversify these days, they are limited by what they can see from a relatively short work history, and they don't want to deal with people who can only get good test scores.

Again, this is what you wrote. You are making the argument that test scores are not given as much weight in grad school admission, and that being well rounded is more important. Again, I ask, how is being a cat-1 cyclist a better indicator of someone's performance as a grad student than the said person's grades in undergrad classes of the same field? And even if we accept your premise that bookworms don't make for good grad students, how is endurance sport a good indicator of grad school performance.

Internships and undergrad research experience are far better indicators, and undergrad grades isn't a bad indicator either. You grad school adviser isn't gonna care if you are well rounded. S/he cares that you know you sh*t (as demonstrated by grades) and that you are enthusiastic about the subject (as demonstrated by internship and undergrad research).
Old 02-09-14, 08:11 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Didn't some kid just quit college to try and become a pro cyclist? So there's that… He probably wouldn't make a great grad student.
Old 02-09-14, 08:21 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 338 Posts
As a someone in research about to get a PhD (if I focus on the dissertation research instead of newfound cycling hobby), I wouldn't put it on my own (if by CV you mean an academic focus, and not simply a resume). I think with academic stuff, just stick to relevant facts. But for job hunting, I would say this wouldn't necessarily help, but I don't think it would hurt either. Might be a topic for an ice breaker, bridge some skills to the position, etc. I tend to leave the hobby stuff out of it, I'd rather just be judged for relevant credentials
Old 02-09-14, 08:43 PM
McTufferton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would I say something as specific as "cat 5 state champ"? No. But I did put a line about bike racing on my resume 5 yrs ago. Boss has told me and others that he likes hiring athletes because we're competitive, goal oriented, generally well-rounded and healthy.
Old 02-09-14, 09:45 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't put it on my resume but would bring it up if they asked for interests outside of work.

100% agree on the last part though, if they think it's a bad thing that I dedicate time to other activities outside of work then I DON'T want to work there anyways. Working to work is a sh8tty way to live your life!
Old 02-09-14, 10:19 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
As a someone in research about to get a PhD (if I focus on the dissertation research instead of newfound cycling hobby), I wouldn't put it on my own (if by CV you mean an academic focus, and not simply a resume). I think with academic stuff, just stick to relevant facts. But for job hunting, I would say this wouldn't necessarily help, but I don't think it would hurt either. Might be a topic for an ice breaker, bridge some skills to the position, etc. I tend to leave the hobby stuff out of it, I'd rather just be judged for relevant credentials
I'd be writing the same thing 2-3 years from now, when the publications, conference presentations and funding sources start rolling in. And of course it can't really hurt.
Old 02-09-14, 10:22 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not convinced you understand the fallacy in your argument. Let's assume that your definition of a bookworm (i.e. someone who only does well on tests and nothing else) is valid, which it most certainly isn't. How is extracurricular activity in something wholly unrelated to your field of research (unless you are in a physiology related field) a better indicator of your performance as a researcher than say, test scores and grades from courses in that field?

Again, this is what you wrote. You are making the argument that test scores are not given as much weight in grad school admission, and that being well rounded is more important. Again, I ask, how is being a cat-1 cyclist a better indicator of someone's performance as a grad student than the said person's grades in undergrad classes of the same field? And even if we accept your premise that bookworms don't make for good grad students, how is endurance sport a good indicator of grad school performance.

Internships and undergrad research experience are far better indicators, and undergrad grades isn't a bad indicator either. You grad school adviser isn't gonna care if you are well rounded. S/he cares that you know you sh*t (as demonstrated by grades) and that you are enthusiastic about the subject (as demonstrated by internship and undergrad research).
your argument is intended for nothing more than to prove me wrong. it's kind of pathetic.
Old 02-10-14, 12:23 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
I wouldn't put it on my resume but would bring it up if they asked for interests outside of work.

100% agree on the last part though, if they think it's a bad thing that I dedicate time to other activities outside of work then I DON'T want to work there anyways. Working to work is a sh8tty way to live your life!
This. It's a good way to weed out the companies that want f***ing workoholic robots. I was going to say "don't do it, it'll make you look like you care more about cycling than work". Then I thought about it - if a company wants me to care more about work than my actual real life, then seriously. What the balls. Find someone else. To me it says you have the capacity to care about your s*** in general. Everyone has something they care about outside of work, and that's ok. As long as you don't make it sound like you dwell on it.

I definitely dwell on it. Actually, it's a 9.5 on the scale of what-I-care-about. I'll pretend it's about even with work. But I had an interview recently, and we talked a bit about cycling (the owner/interviewer rides tandem to work with his wife). I didn't get the job
Old 02-10-14, 12:35 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any of you guys actually look at resumes?

I look at probably 10-15 hirings/year, and weed resumes for half those. Probably saw 600 resumes last year. For real.

The answer to this questions is sure, list it, but keep it short like "active in competitive cycling and community organizing".

The other answer to this question is that it's going to depend a lot on who is looking, what the job is, and what specifically they are seeking in a candidate.

I personally value personality and interest a lot more than any specific skillset. Skills can be taught, but not to dead fish.
Old 02-10-14, 01:17 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

your argument is intended for nothing more than to prove me wrong.
no s*** sherlock. And this is your best rebuttal?

it's kind of pathetic.
Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, still doesn't detract from the fact that you made a logical fallacy and can't even spot it.

Also, even if it were pathetic, it's no more pathetic than asking a bunch of strangers on the internet regarding how you should structure your CV. I mean, shouldn't you be asking your school's career service people? Or did you come here for validation, knowing that more people would be receptive to the idea, after your advisers told you not to?
Old 02-10-14, 07:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Race results on my resume. No.

But, I have listed my participation on my cycling team on my resume.

My team, err club, is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We put on events and donate funds to various causes and organizations. We have an elected board, and I serve as the vice president. It does require a decent amount of time, but it is relevant experience for some jobs. Please note that I said some jobs. There are some positions where I would not mention that.

So, if you have something like that, where you are a board member of a nonprofit that is affiliated with a cycling team, then yes, I think that is a notable experience for some jobs. Just look at all the business big wigs who serve on the local United Way boards just to check off the community service box on their resume.
Old 02-10-14, 07:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,842 Posts
The only time i'd entertain the thought of putting something like sports on my CV is when you can say something like: i was the treasurer of my cycling club, and in addition to managing the finances, i also helped secure funding for an event we organized, etc.
People in grad school don't care. It might make an interview more interesting if you can bring in outside interests, but, when I was in grad school, all the PI's (primary investigators for you not in the sciences) that I new got annoyed with the grad students who took time off for training. I mean sure, the rules said we were allowed 3 weeks a year plus holidays off, but actually taking anywhere near that much was frowned upon. They weren't allowed to say anything, but their feelings were known.

Old 02-10-14, 07:37 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
As you tell the hiring world that you're a Roadie, keep in mind that half the motorists you encounter on the road hate you and the other half just tolerate you. I'm guessing that same percentage exists at the HR level.

I generalize for effect, of course. But you're just as likely to get negative push back as you are positive push back.

To the OP who is very proud of his accomplishment: winning the Cat 5 jersey, I suggest you hold off on making that claim.
A. Anyone who knows cycling will hold back laughter.
B. Anyone who doesn't know cycling won't know or care enough to laugh out loud.
Old 02-10-14, 09:15 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Any of you guys actually look at resumes?

I look at probably 10-15 hirings/year, and weed resumes for half those. Probably saw 600 resumes last year. For real.

The answer to this questions is sure, list it, but keep it short like "active in competitive cycling and community organizing".

The other answer to this question is that it's going to depend a lot on who is looking, what the job is, and what specifically they are seeking in a candidate.

I personally value personality and interest a lot more than any specific skillset. Skills can be taught, but not to dead fish.

I have looked at thousands of resumes. Personality absolutely does count on a resume. Even for jobs that require a very specific skill set or domain knowledge, all else being equal, the candidate who seems more interesting will have the advantage.

Having said that. putting "cat 5 state road race win" on a CV is not a good idea. It indicates a bad personality trait, namely an incorrect understanding of your own domain knowledge. Somebody with no clue about cycling wouldn't put something so specific, and somebody with extensive experience wouldn't put something so unimpressive.

Putting bicycle racing under other interests, maybe listing racing category, sure.

(BTW, in NY there is no cat 5 state road race championship, no jersey, no medals. Whatever RR event is the state championships will likely have a cat 5 field, but that field is not a "state championship race.")

Old 02-10-14, 09:20 AM
ovoleg